Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WCO- How are we going to make the Transition

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I'm not thrilled about the WCO. But after these past two years, I will take any offense I can get.

To answer your question, I don't see Sanchez excelling if we run a WCO b.c the only thing worse than his accuracy is his decision making. I think McElroy might do better in a WCO but I do not see him as a long-term answer.

Alex Smith would be perfect but I do not want to give up picks for him.

No matter who we get to play QB, we are going to have to invest in and improve our OL. That is the key IMO. We can live with average RBs if we improve our OL.

What is going to be interesting is to see what we do with the TEs and WRs. With little money to spend in FA I do not expect much changes in personnel. Will Keller be back? I doubt it. I think Holmes and Kerley will be good in any offense. It will be interesting to see how much improvement Hill makes. He could add a really great dimension to the offense, but that is asking a lot of him.

Mornhinweg has his work cut out for him.

THIS

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Black View Post

THIS
    Here's the thing with that: We already have a near elite O-line. It's not SF, but we have an elite LT, a HOF C, and a still way above average RG. Slauson can be resigned very cheap at LG (3 years 3 mil ?) and he is a servicable lineman. Austin Howard was a million times better than W. Hunter, and was certainly a solid player himself. You're not going to have first round picks at every OL position. It doesn't make sense. Especially when the team has little to no talent anywhere else on offense.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    Pretty sure Paul Hackett did too
    Run-Run-DesperationPass-Punt is not the basis of the WCO

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do people REALLY think the 49ers are going to keep Alex Smith AND Kapernick?!

There's a WHOLE lot of other QB's that will be available, who are a LOT better than the garbage currently on the roster.

I can't wait til TeBlow is gone...

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice title. I had to check to see if my wife still lived here.

Check.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Nice title. I had to check to see if my wife still lived here.

Check.
    LOL

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I'm not thrilled about the WCO. But after these past two years, I will take any offense I can get.

To answer your question, I don't see Sanchez excelling if we run a WCO b.c the only thing worse than his accuracy is his decision making. I think McElroy might do better in a WCO but I do not see him as a long-term answer.

Alex Smith would be perfect but I do not want to give up picks for him.

No matter who we get to play QB, we are going to have to invest in and improve our OL. That is the key IMO. We can live with average RBs if we improve our OL.

What is going to be interesting is to see what we do with the TEs and WRs. With little money to spend in FA I do not expect much changes in personnel. Will Keller be back? I doubt it. I think Holmes and Kerley will be good in any offense. It will be interesting to see how much improvement Hill makes. He could add a really great dimension to the offense, but that is asking a lot of him.

Mornhinweg has his work cut out for him.
    Ummm, yeah. So i havent techically "bashed" Sanchez for oh, 3, 4 months now, BUT lets be honest, the last thing M Sanchez was exceptional at, was receiving BJ's from multiple takers at USC parties of yesteryear.

That doesnt bother me, as long as the word "Excell" and Mark Sanchez are not mentioned in the same sentence.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    Didn't Schottenheimer run a west coast offense?
    no. schotty ran a mix of steve spurrier and cam cameron.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    Run-Run-DesperationPass-Punt is not the basis of the WCO
    Hackett with a healthy Chad (2002 & 3/4 of 2004) called excellent games and wasn't a liability when he had a QB who his philosophy could coalesce with. I have no doubt had things worked out better with Chad's shoulder him and Hack would have done a lot more here. Heck, with a 1 armed Pennington the Jets were 2 Doug Brien kicks and a Herm Edwards away form the AFCCG.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    McElroy!!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lets be honest, every offense of the last 15 years has borrowed elements of the West Coast Offense. Everyone runs it in some form or another. There isn't an offensive coach alive who hasn't stolen from Bill Walsh (or got plays from their mentor that they stole from Bill Walsh).

It's not so much an issue of making our players fit the scheme, it's an issue of getting good players in general.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    I'm not too worried about a transition period in that the Jets offense is transitioning from nothing.

New coaches, new front office, to sit back and enjoy the ride is my plan.
    I'm gonna join you in a drink on this

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Besides settling on a qb, The WCO usually relies on a RB that can catch, Bigger WRs as they run a lot more short patterns and the larger catch radius has a positive effect. I don't know if a ZBS or a power oline is better, but I would think the more athletic ZBS guys would be better if the qb is a guy that likes to move like Sanchez/Rogers type like green bay, but Philly seemed to favor large powerful guys, and they had Vick. So maybe the type of line don't matter.

Big WRs that can go over the middle, RB that can release into patterns and a qb that can make quick progressions as the WCO floods zones.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dustykeller View Post
    signing Reggie Bush (a pass catching, speedy/playmaking HB) would be a good start.

But our cap is such a mess, I doubt we'll be going that route.
    True and maybe signing Felix Jones would be a cheaper alternative.

I'd be all for Justin Hunter in the 2nd round, coming out of the WCO at Tenn.

The two of them would surpass Bush's output and create a change in dynamics for sure.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    eh It can't be any worse then we've been running the last 8 years.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    No. I believe it was the Coryell Offense.
    Correct

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by King Pepa View Post
    Football discussion Shocking huh??

What are going to be The challenges we will have going from Ground n pound to a WCO. How would our existing roster adapt.
    We could start by not going 3 and out.

LOL, in all seriousness, I am concerned about the receivers. Holmes is a notorious bad route runner, Hill only runs one route, and wasn't Kerley getting dogged in the pre-season last year about bad route running too?

I know QB is the big concern, but I think WR will be interesting to watch too.

I have to assume we won't be a 50 pass attempts per game WCO, so we need an all-purpose pass catching RB. One that sets the tone for the offense and can take over a game.

If our opponent is struggling to stop the run, I want for once to be able to run the ball 6 times straight. If they can't stop our slot receiver, I want to be able to exploit it more than once in a game.

Basically, I want to see us play NFL offense.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
    We could start by not going 3 and out.

LOL, in all seriousness, I am concerned about the receivers. Holmes is a notorious bad route runner, Hill only runs one route, and wasn't Kerley getting dogged in the pre-season last year about bad route running too?

I know QB is the big concern, but I think WR will be interesting to watch too.

I have to assume we won't be a 50 pass attempts per game WCO, so we need an all-purpose pass catching RB. One that sets the tone for the offense and can take over a game.

If our opponent is struggling to stop the run, I want for once to be able to run the ball 6 times straight. If they can't stop our slot receiver, I want to be able to exploit it more than once in a game.

Basically, I want to see us play NFL offense.
    Holmes is a bad route runner? That's news to me.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just because we run the ball 50% of the time does not make us a ground and pound offense. We were built completely wrong to run Sporano's power blocking scheme. We need a back that can catch, and a QB that can throw with some touch, but our receivers and lineman are perfectly built for it. Brick, and Mangold especially, are gonna love it. Marty has made a lot of QB's look good. Even guys that they trade away that turn out to be teh suck. With the Eagles they have never been below top 15 ever. Been top 10 most years and top 5 a few times, and they never had a great QB. Just sayin, the people who want to cry about this hire are idiots.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. Find a new QB (Flynn or Smith, preferably)

2. Let Greene go and sign a RB with some pep in his step that can catch the ball out of the backfield (Felix Jones)

3. See Step 1