Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Idzeks Biggest Decision - What to About Revis...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    we gave up a 3rd/conditional 2nd for cro when the chargers were looking to unload him after the playoff loss. cro's play has improved a lot, especially coming off this big season... I'd think we could probably get an early 2nd/late 1st possibly since he's signed to a reasonable deal
    Reasonable, heis making almost 10 mill per year! They are probably not 4 corners making more. When the jets traded for him Cro was making 1 mill a year, his salary is now closer to 10 mill. how many teams do you think have 20 mill in cap space to trade for cro, sign thier picks and maybe 1 or two or their own FA? I think there are only 5 teams with enough cap room to sign him. That is why Vontae Davis got the fins a 2nd, because he was signed for two years at 1 mill per. They were 20 teams that could use a corner making 1 mill

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Black View Post
    I bet Cowboy fans said the same thing about Herschell Walker. How did that work out?? BTW, why you have to result to insults.... another internet tough guy, SMH....

Now read very carefully....

NO ONE WANTS TO TRADE REVIS...

Let me try that again for the TRULY DENSE

NO ONE WANTS TO TRADE REVIS....

BUT ANY SAVVY GM HAS TO CONSIDER ALL OPTIONS ESPECIALLY IF REVIS IS SET ON HOLDING OUT AGAIN FOR MORE MONEY AND IF THERE ARE OFFERS AVAILABLE THAT WILL HELP THIS TEAM IMPROVE IN SEVERAL OTHER AREAS.

DO YOU WANT TO WIN A SUPERBOWL IN YOUR LIFETIME OR JUST BRAG ABOUT HAVING THE BEST CB IN THE GAME (DEBATABLE UNTIL HE GETS ON THE FIELD AGAIN)?

The Giants Corners have been average to downright SUCKING.

THEY HAVE TWICE AS MANY SUPERBOWLS IN THE LAST 5 YEARS THEN THE JETS HAVE IN THEIR ENTIRE HISTORY.

Oh by the way in case you missed it....

NO ONE WANTS TO TRADE REVIS

Get it now?
    but u do realize that you are not getting JJ Watt for Revis right? what u are getting for revis if u trade him is draft picks...and how thats better then revis i will never know.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    the pats have spent 2 first round picks and 5 second round picks on DB's over the last 6 years and their secondary is still hot garbage. they probably would have at least another SB under their belt if they had an average secondary
    The secondary didn't lose those two games to the giants. The gave up 21 points and 17 points. The defense did thier job.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    or Revis could stay on IR for 2013 and return for a run in 2014 (After Sanchez)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Revis will go to The Steelers, Falcons, 49ers or Packers and win a Super Bowl if he walks. Like Deion did.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    Revis will go to The Steelers, Falcons, 49ers or Packers and win a Super Bowl if he walks. Like Deion did.
    This would only be acceptable if we saw Revis and Andre Rison(Santoni-HO) drop the dawgs at the 40 yard line first snap.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    but u do realize that you are not getting JJ Watt for Revis right? what u are getting for revis if u trade him is draft picks...and how thats better then revis i will never know.
    That is why you weigh the offers; I didn't say trade him I said see what might be available. I swear it is like no one reads any more....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bottom line: the Jets can not afford to pay top dollar for a cornerback. If Revis makes it clear that he wants to be paid like a top 5 defensive player (which he is), the Jets will trade him to maximize his value to them.

The Jets have lots of needs, and cornerback is one of the few positions where they have options.

It will not be popular, but I think it is virtually certain that the Jets will trade Revis before paying him top dollars. He probably deserves the money, but it makes no structural sense with regard to the currently constituted Jets. Idzik is a smart guy and paying Revis does not = success for the Jets.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    Sorry JB, love ya man, but i wanna trade Revis bad. We need the roster spot, the cap room and the draft pick(s) we could get for this player and we need them this yr.
    Ok No one BUT TINSTAR wants to trade Revis

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    You are right; you will never know unless you have the balls to make a move. I don't necessarily advocate trading him for picks; but if there was a super blue chip prospect you draft, that you could get along with some other top prospects, you would definitely have to consider it. I love Revis and hope it doesn't come to that but a GM has to look at the big picture and consider what is best for the TEAM overall.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    it's a passing league... people that think that shutdown corners aren't a premium position are smoking crack. pass rushers and shutdown corners are what makes a defense. jets are #2 in pass defense without revis and without a natural pass rush. imagine what this D would be like if we can rush 4 and get pressure with those corners
    This guy gets it.

There are many ways to skin a cat. Yes you need a great QB, but last that teams can be strong in different ways - and pass defense is one of them just because you have Revis doesn't preclude you from having a pass rush.

Modern defenses seem to heading towards the bend-don't-break mold - and Revis is the perfect CB for that. Give us a ballhawk safety and watch the turnovers mount!!

And you want to trade him for what?? Draft picks? Lottery tickets. You'll never get a player as good as him back.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    This guy gets it.

There are many ways to skin a cat. Yes you need a great QB, but last that teams can be strong in different ways - and pass defense is one of them just because you have Revis doesn't preclude you from having a pass rush.

Modern defenses seem to heading towards the bend-don't-break mold - and Revis is the perfect CB for that. Give us a ballhawk safety and watch the turnovers mount!!

And you want to trade him for what?? Draft picks? Lottery tickets. You'll never get a player as good as him back.
    Not calling you out or anything, just curious.

Revis stays this year, plays well. Then what? You think Mevis will be looking to be the highest paid corner in the league? You think the Jets can afford to pay him and mortgage even more of the future with another horrendously huge contract?

I have no doubt Revis will play lights out next year. He'll be playing for a a big contract for himself, which IMO, is all he cares about. The Jets can't afford to pay him, even if they could they shouldn't. So he walks away, gets paid, and the Jets get nothing. How do you stop this scenario from happening?

Keeping Revis next year and not shopping him, hoses the Jets either way you look at it... whether he stays for HUGE money or whether he walks and the Jets get nothing.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    This guy gets it.

The goal would not be to get players as good as him in the draft. The goal would be two-fold. First, avoid a crippling cap hit for a position that covers 1 WR-- 1 great pass rusher takes every WR out of the game. Second, get multiple picks and players to help fill the myriad of holes on the Jets at LB, S, OL, RB, WR, and QB.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetBidi View Post

Revis stays this year, plays well. Then what? You think Mevis will be looking to be the highest paid corner in the league? You think the Jets can afford to pay him and mortgage even more of the future with another horrendously huge contract?

I have no doubt Revis will play lights out next year. He'll be playing for a a big contract for himself, which IMO, is all he cares about. The Jets can't afford to pay him, even if they could they shouldn't. So he walks away, gets paid, and the Jets get nothing. How do you stop this scenario from happening?

Keeping Revis next year and not shopping him, hoses the Jets either way you look at it... whether he stays for HUGE money or whether he walks and the Jets get nothing.
    Someone who gets the big picture.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Why do some morons want to trade the only true positive the team really has going for it right now? Revis is the best defensive player in football. There's no decision.
    Because he is a free agent in 1 season, and he's going to get paid more than $10M per year, and probably closer to $15M/year.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    The goal would not be to get players as good as him in the draft. The goal would be two-fold. First, avoid a crippling cap hit for a position that covers 1 WR-- 1 great pass rusher takes every WR out of the game. Second, get multiple picks and players to help fill the myriad of holes on the Jets at LB, S, OL, RB, WR, and QB.
    Very well stated.

Someone who gets the big picture.
    Hope we can say that about Idzik as well.
    Last edited by JetBidi; 01-18-2013 at 10:42 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetBidi View Post

In 2014 they can certainly afford to pay him, which is the scary thing. I'd much rather either trade him or rip up his 2013 deal and give him an extension now... although I'm not sure Revis will go for that - i'm sure he's just a little interested into hitting the FA market

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    You're acting as if he's a HoF QB or something. He plays CB, a position that you don't NEED to be super mega ultra awesome HoF elite at to win.
    He will become Hall of famer, he is the cornerback of his generation. How many hall of famer have we drafted thatbactually play with the Jets their whole career?...1... He makes players around him better.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Black View Post
    No you let them walk a year from now and get nothing. No wonder this team hasn't won **** since 1968. Too sentimental...
    No, you make them the face of your franchise!
    Or well yeah, you let them walk and gain rings with other teams...Riggins, Farrior, Keyshan...Vilma.

Its not sentimental, its sad to let go your own guys and see them win somewhere else...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't buy the one-passrusher thing really. JJ Watt is as disruptive a force as there was this year and HOU isn't even close to playing this weekend; they lost 3 of their last four. Giants had the most talked about rush last year (to go along with an awful secondary) and they are sitting at home.

How many very good pass rushers are there in the league? Quite a few - certainly a dozen Espc. If you add in situational guys (and some aging vets).

How many shutdown corners are there in the league? Half that number MAYBE.

Pass rush can be generated by groups of players and by scheme; shutting down stud WR's - not so much.

So, from my point of view it is nowhere as simple as people here want to make it seem. If you have the best player at a scarce position AND he is still productive, then paying him is a reasonable move. Jets will have lots of space in 2014 AND the cap goes up. Zero chance Revis gets traded in 2013. He may walk afterwards but he's not getting traded.