Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Idzeks Biggest Decision - What to About Revis...

Revis is the only 1great player on the Jets Team. Very hard decision on what to do with him. Happy im not the new GM

Let Revis value go up as the season goes along and trade him when the Jets are halfway with a 2-6 record.

Idziks' biggest concern (apart from the QB issue) is figuring out a way to keep Revis while trying to build a quality team. Who knows what Revis and his agents are going to want. And whatever they do want is going to have massive effects on how the Jets move forward.

Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    Idziks' biggest concern (apart from the QB issue) is figuring out a way to keep Revis while trying to build a quality team. Who knows what Revis and his agents are going to want. And whatever they do want is going to have massive effects on how the Jets move forward.
    Funny ... I really do not see this as a difficult decision at all. If Revis comes back as Revis and not 'the shell of Revis' ... You trade him once he has displayed proof of his recovery and his value is peaking.

Doing this would allow the team to :

1. Redistribute the payroll across more positions on the team thus resulting in a more balanced, higher level of talent across the board. A more fearsome pass rush would mitigate the loss of Revis' coverage to some degree.

2. Target possibly multiple high quality QBs (see Washington)

3. Establish a new precedent for the GM regarding how he is going to handle future contracts. Some GMs will not pay superstars ridiculous contracts at the expense of team balance.

4. Avoid the headache of Revis' agents ... Who have been problematic in the past.

Having Cromartie makes this decision much easier of course.

I love Revis and would not be disappointed if we figure a way out to retain his services. But I can see other options that make sense as well.

The question is, does Darrell Revis mean more than three impact players? We could probably get 3 impact players for Darrell Revis, one of which would be a solid offensive lineman to protect whoever the next QB is, maybe a decent blocking fullback, maybe a really good TE who can block. We could fix quite a few things with a Revis trade, plus as soon as the crybaby proves himself again he'll be trying to bust our cap like last time.

TRADE!

Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    The question is, does Darrell Revis mean more than three impact players? We could probably get 3 impact players for Darrell Revis, one of which would be a solid offensive lineman to protect whoever the next QB is, maybe a decent blocking fullback, maybe a really good TE who can block. We could fix quite a few things with a Revis trade, plus as soon as the crybaby proves himself again he'll be trying to bust our cap like last time.

TRADE!
    Why are we awake ??

Veteran
    in the high flying O's of today, Revis becomes more valuble to a team.

This is where Idzik will need to earn his money. try to re-sign Reves now and load the contract in such a way where some years are bigger than others, put the bulk in 2014 & 2015, grab a top nutch Pass rusher and load him up 2013. we all agree that Vick, Flyne or anyone else will not come with a deal breaker payday. lets see what he can do. who knows, maybe he tells Sanchez, hay restructre or your not even suiting up, with that he brings in some tallented receivers, running backs, TE's and watch Sanchez sink or swim, we all agree next year a throw away year and with tallent behind Sanchez he can shine. alot of choices.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Why are we awake ??
    Well for me, I have Little League evaluations today, God damn kids, I just want to sleep.

All Pro
    Wow...I get some early sleep and you guys go off the rails again (surprise!).

I was not suggesting a real trade of Revis for Watt.

Someone said Revis was 'hands down' the best defensive player in the league. I was pointing out how that opinion was dated. Maybe it was true two years ago, but right now, there is at least one, probably a few more guys, who are 'better' defensive players. Ask yourself would you trade Revis for Watt right now if the choice were there (no...it's not for you literal types out there). If your answer is no, then you might want to re-examine your objectivity.

We can't think of "all or none" here. The defense will be strong, Revis or not. If we can trade him and get something that will significantly help the offense, you do it. If we're just going to get a bunch of average picks for him, you don't do it.

Biggest priority on the team should be to fix the QB position. Like many have said, if we have a decent QB, the Jets are a perennial playoff team.

Instead, we have the one QB who has regressed more than any QB in the last 2 years. That has coincided with our record. 11-5 to 8-8 to 6-10......and the list goes on. Defense is great, and I'm glad we have something to hang some hope on, but we need a QB. If Revis = QB, or maybe even somebody else who will have a 2 or 3 win impact on the team, you do it.

Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    Wow...I get some early sleep and you guys go off the rails again (surprise!).

I was not suggesting a real trade of Revis for Watt.

Someone said Revis was 'hands down' the best defensive player in the league. I was pointing out how that opinion was dated. Maybe it was true two years ago, but right now, there is at least one, probably a few more guys, who are 'better' defensive players. Ask yourself would you trade Revis for Watt right now if the choice were there (no...it's not for you literal types out there). If your answer is no, then you might want to re-examine your objectivity.
    If you insert Watt into this past season's team, the defense automatically becomes top 3. We're that player away from becoming a dominant defense. JJ Watt is a bigger difference maker than Revis. Two of the biggest factors in a game:

Can you put pressure on the QB?

Can you keep pressure from your QB?

No is the answer to both on the NYJ.

Cromartie

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    What have you done for me lately I see... Revis was hurt. He is 27 years old. He has at least 5 more years of taking every team's best WR out of a game entirelt.
    We already have a corner that does that,we don't need another with a salary cap in place.You can argue that we should trade Cro, but we do need more draft picks.

Since we can't fix the QB position and will have to draft and develop a QB the year after next we might as well keep him. Don't see anyone giving us a heist for Revis.

Teams are going deep into the playoffs by getting production out of young players who are talented and on their first contracts. We aren't going to get a Hershel Walker type deal for Revis. The model has changed.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    it's a passing league... people that think that shutdown corners aren't a premium position are smoking crack. pass rushers and shutdown corners are what makes a defense. jets are #2 in pass defense without revis and without a natural pass rush. imagine what this D would be like if we can rush 4 and get pressure with those corners
    If we get some pass rushers, a great cb is not required. A QB can not pass while he is on his back!

Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post

TRADE!
    What team out there is going to pay 15 mill a year for Revis and trade you three players? The market is not as big as you think, when peppers was a FA they were only a few teams that could afford him and back then the cap was going up every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Funny ... I really do not see this as a difficult decision at all. If Revis comes back as Revis and not 'the shell of Revis' ... You trade him once he has displayed proof of his recovery and his value is peaking.

Doing this would allow the team to :

1. Redistribute the payroll across more positions on the team thus resulting in a more balanced, higher level of talent across the board. A more fearsome pass rush would mitigate the loss of Revis' coverage to some degree.

2. Target possibly multiple high quality QBs (see Washington)

3. Establish a new precedent for the GM regarding how he is going to handle future contracts. Some GMs will not pay superstars ridiculous contracts at the expense of team balance.

4. Avoid the headache of Revis' agents ... Who have been problematic in the past.

Having Cromartie makes this decision much easier of course.

I love Revis and would not be disappointed if we figure a way out to retain his services. But I can see other options that make sense as well.
    How are we going to trade a player who is an UFA that cant be franchised?

The player to trade is cro, he is signed and his value has never been higher. More importantly he relies on physical skills more then revis does, so has a greater chance to decline as he gets older.

Also to the poster that said revis value is higher now that teams throw more, I completely disagree.

Ten years ago a "shut down CB" took away 33-50% of the receiving options on a given play (2 or 3 WRs). Now teams have 3 or 4 WR spread sets....so he can only take away 25-33% of the options. His impact is not as much....thats why paying him and cro is atrocious cap management

Its ridiculous to pay a CB 1/10th cap space based purely on the direct impact this one CB has in a game.
    Typical game 130 plays
    Defense plays 65 plays
    55% pass plays = 36 plays
    Typical offense deploys 3-5 pass catchers (WR,TE,RB)....therefore likelihood that top CB is covering target is 20% =7 plays
    1/10th cap space on 7 plays.
    No doubt the Revis' have an indirect effect on targeting/strategy which has considerable value.....but bottom line....teams can avoid this CB 100% of the time if they so choose.
    Do you pay 10% of the cap to a player that can be avoided?

Scenario: goal line defensive stand, offensive team goes jumbo package...no WRs. Your highest paid defender is rendered useless and offensive team gets to attack a diluted defense forced to make personnel sacrifices in order to pay the CB

Look at the highest paid WRs, Megatron and Fitzgerald, teams are allotting 10-12% cap space to players that come in direct contact 5-8 times/game. Is this a winning formula.

Teams that win year after year understand how to deploy their limited dollars. Those that have the most DIRECT impact command the biggest dollars. Players whose skill is relied on on every play, not just a select number of plays. Build from the inside out and create depth.

Look at NE and the $$$$ they are throwing at TE. They have identified a lower $$$ production anomaly. A TE both blocks and catches....direct impacts....a position that has been traditionally valued very low in terms of $$$$ with franchise tag $6-7 mill. Verses the Jets, what impact can their $12 mill CB have against their fleet of TEs. Revis and his $12 mill are removed from the equation which leaves a lesser 10 players to deal.

Of course this is an extreme example that real only applies verses NE and their unique roster.....which could lead us to another topic regarding forward vision and how the Jets have done in that department recently.

Summary: the NFL is always evolving and the traditional roster build changes. The #1 WR or the #1 CB or the elite pass rusher or the high end LT.....all these traditional necessities have devolved.
    Because passing teams spread the ball around so successfully, the concept of #1 WRs or CBs has taken a back seat and group strength is valued more. Teams rely on scheme more than talent to get to the QB. And paying top dollar for a LT to protect his 3 step drop QB....those days are gone.....for teams ahead of the curve!!
    Time for the Jets to start building a team in the modern NFL

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    What team out there is going to pay 15 mill a year for Revis and trade you three players? The market is not as big as you think, when peppers was a FA they were only a few teams that could afford him and back then the cap was going up every year.
    Exactly, especially with Revis coming off a serious injury and his past reluctance to hold out over salary demands. Revis value right now is at the lowest it can be.

On the flipside Cro is at the highest possible value he'll ever be. If we were going to trade any CB it should be Cro.

Trade Cro, reup Revis while the Jets still have the leverage and as others have said beef up the OLB corps . A pass rush can make any Cb's look better . The money we save by trading Cro gets negated by reupping Revis but we should be able to lock him up for 3-4 years, plus we'll have whatever assets we get from the Cro trade.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    Exactly, especially with Revis coming off a serious injury and his past reluctance to hold out over salary demands. Revis value right now is at the lowest it can be.

On the flipside Cro is at the highest possible value he'll ever be. If we were going to trade any CB it should be Cro.

Trade Cro, reup Revis while the Jets still have the leverage and as others have said beef up the OLB corps . A pass rush can make any Cb's look better . The money we save by trading Cro gets negated by reupping Revis but we should be able to lock him up for 3-4 years, plus we'll have whatever assets we get from the Cro trade.
    But what if Revis does not get back to his former status? We know CRO is healthy. we do not know about Revis. I think even in that situation we can get more for Revis re draft picks. He is a bigger name to many teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    But what if Revis does not get back to his former status? We know CRO is healthy. we do not know about Revis. I think even in that situation we can get more for Revis re draft picks. He is a bigger name to many teams.
    We don't have to trade him right away, draft picks have no expiration we can pile up picks for next year. they don't have to be for this years draft. Once they believe Revis is capable of playing based on minicamps etc.. then flip the trade for Cro.

Right now Revis has no leverage , he's an unproven commodity, teams will not be willing to pay a king's ransom. If he didn't get hurt last year then I'd agree he'd fetch a much larger return.