Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Idzeks Biggest Decision - What to About Revis...

Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    exactly pay the superstars not the scrubs like tanny did. all this revis bashing makes me sick. we finally get a superstar marquee player and many haters bash him continually.
    Serious question for the keep Revis at all costs crowd.

How much is too much? Is there a price we have to pay to keep him that is too much?

If we were offered a trade, what would it take?

It's not really about keeping him at all costs it's just a matter of how you value him.

For me 12mm a year (10 percent of the entire team cap) is too much for any corner. That's the line I draw.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post

How much is too much? Is there a price we have to pay to keep him that is too much?

It's not really about keeping him at all costs it's just a matter of how you value him.

For me 12mm a year (10 percent of the entire team cap) is too much for any corner. That's the line I draw.
    I would keep him at 12 but no way would he do that..

Quote Originally Posted by Bocajetfan68 View Post
    8 and 8
    Dunno about that. Our pass D was ranked 2nd without Revis.

If we had at least mediocre-average QB play, we'd probably have a better record. As it stands, we don't and Revis will most likely want more money. No thanks. Our team has bigger issues to worry about than filling Mevis' pockets.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocajetfan68 View Post
    8 and 8
    What 2 games would have Revis won for the Jets?

Of all people why trade Revis?

The reason most people say is because of our cap situation and trade him now, or get nothing later. Here are the cap saving by cutting players in 2013 and 2014.

http://www.nyjetscap.com/salary13.html
    http://www.nyjetscap.com/salary14.html

Jason Smith $12M
    Calvin Pace $8.56M
    Bart Scott $7.15M
    Sione Pouha $3.83M
    Eric Smith $3M
    Tim Tebow $1.53M

Total = $36.07M

In addition around 20 players (many no names) who would save $500K each.

Mark Sanchez $8.3M
    Antonio Cromartie $9.5M
    Santonio Holmes $8.25M
    David Harris $5M

Total = $31M

My point here is there appears to be plenty of $ to resign Revis, if we're willing to part with some of these other names.

Just don't understand why so many folks are so quick to put Revis' name out there. Some say they would take a 3rd rounder for him. When's the last time we drafted a quality 3rd rounder? Even first rounders are a crap shoot.

In addition,if Revis is traded, watch Antonio Cromartie immediately threaten to hold out for more money.
    Last edited by Long Suffering Jets Fan; 01-19-2013 at 01:01 PM. Reason: forgot something

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    What 2 games would have Revis won for the Jets?
    I think he would had to have about 4 pick 6's for that to happen..

The Jets have the leverage now, they should say if you pass your physical we'll be willing to extend you a 3 year contract but at around 9M/yr take it or leave it. If he signs trade Cro, if not trade Revis.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    The Jets have the leverage now, they should say if you pass your physical we'll be willing to extend you a 3 year contract but at around 9M/yr take it or leave it. If he signs trade Cro, if not trade Revis.
    I would be all for that, but no way he takes it.

I'm just trying to point it's just a matter of variables. Too many fans are screaming we have to keep Revis. I just think it'll be hard to make it work.

If someone offered us a 1 now, knowing we won't be able to pay him the 15 he wants in 2014, I think we should take it.

Another question for the keep him at all costs crew.

If you knew he would denand 15mm a year in 2014 and we could a 1 for him now, do you do it?

The basic reasoning is that if he wants more money, deal him and get something for it while you still can. If we don't, he's just going to walk and sign with the highest bidder while we get nothing out of the situation.

Revis is a CB, not some franchise QB. There's no way we should give him top QB money just because "HERP DERP HE DA BESS CB IN DA GAME DOE!". You don't NEED the best CB in the game to win. I'd take a legit pass-rusher/solid QB over the super epic awesome ultra elite HoF cornerback any day of the week. His position just isn't important enough to warrant huge amounts of money while we're struggling at other positions on the team (QB, WR, OLine, LB). Add to that the fact that our Pass D was ranked #2 in the league WITHOUT Revis, you get good reasons for dealing him while you still can.

Veteran
    You're wasting your time on this topic. Let me put it this way some CB's have there moments in games, Revis has GAMES. He is on another level in the CB world so lets get rid of him it makes complete sense to me..

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    The basic reasoning is that if he wants more money, deal him and get something for it while you still can. If we don't, he's just going to walk and sign with the highest bidder while we get nothing out of the situation.

Revis is a CB, not some franchise QB. There's no way we should give him top QB money just because "HERP DERP HE DA BESS CB IN DA GAME DOE!". You don't NEED the best CB in the game to win. I'd take a legit pass-rusher/solid QB over the super epic awesome ultra elite HoF cornerback any day of the week. His position just isn't important enough to warrant huge amounts of money while we're struggling at other positions on the team (QB, WR, OLine, LB). Add to that the fact that our Pass D was ranked #2 in the league WITHOUT Revis, you get good reasons for dealing him while you still can.
    Not exactly. We'll absolutely get the highest conditional pick possible.

Quote Originally Posted by JETFAN1 View Post
    You're wasting your time on this topic. Let me put it this way some CB's have there moments in games, Revis has GAMES. He is on another level in the CB world so lets get rid of him it makes complete sense to me..

So how much is too much? After next season he's a free agent, how much annually are you willing to pay Revis?

Quote Originally Posted by JETFAN1 View Post

And what has his SUPER EPIC AWESOME LEVEL OF CBING gotten us, hmm? Oh, nothing? And he wants more money? Oh, and our Pass D was ranked 2nd last season? Yea, Revis can kick rocks.

trade revis cut sanchez dont resign braylon edwards blah blah haters gonna hate.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
    Not exactly. We'll absolutely get the highest conditional pick possible.
    That will likely be a 3rd round pick at most.

I would rather let him go a year early in hopes of getting a better pick than that.

I would be all for that, but no way he takes it.

I'm just trying to point it's just a matter of variables. Too many fans are screaming we have to keep Revis. I just think it'll be hard to make it work.

If someone offered us a 1 now, knowing we won't be able to pay him the 15 he wants in 2014, I think we should take it.

Another question for the keep him at all costs crew.

If you knew he would denand 15mm a year in 2014 and we could a 1 for him now, do you do it?
    Absolutely take the 1 , no player outside a true franchise QB is worth $15M/yr.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    trade revis cut sanchez dont resign braylon edwards blah blah haters gonna hate.
    Who hates Revis?? That's like a kids reaction "If you don't agree with me your a hater"..Wah I think Revis is one of the top 3 CB's I have ever seen in over 60 years of watching the NFL.. It's about how many slots can we refill on the team within the salary cap and still pay him what he wants.. Revis as great as he is doesn't rate the team as high as he does his bank acct.. He's a highly paid mercenary that excells at what he does but he shouldn't be above the team.. That's not hate that's reality..

100 plus million on one player other than your franchise qb is bad business.

It's pretty simple to comprehend.

No CB is worth anything near 12% of the cap (which is what it will take to resign Revis) and he's our only bluechip that can land us multiple high picks. Those picks can turn into bluechip players if we draft properly.

Multiple bluechips on affordable contracts >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> one CB taking up 12% of the cap

It is also worth mentioning that its no coincidence the Giants have had more success against the Pats with their average at best secondary then we've had with Revis and Cro. CB's don't win championships, franchise QB's and a solid pass rush do.

Simply put: It doesn't make sense to invest that much, logically, in today's offense-driven league, into a single position on defense.

This is part of the problem here:

The Ryan defensive system, without the type of Pro-Bowl defensive personnel that the Ravens used to have, essentially requires Pro Bowl CB play.

Jury's out on Idzik, but looking at this roster, this year's draft, and the cap situation, moving one of the two best players on the roster overall (Cro or Revis) who play the same position to upgrade what is an absolutely horrendous offensive personnel group would be a great move, especially considering that Rex is likely gone after this year.

Even if Thurman is retained post-Rex, they simply cannot make Revis the highest paid defensive player in the league without trading Cro. Because I think that's what it's going to take.

I really like Revis. I think he's a Hall of Famer provided his leg gets back to 100%. But it's stupid to look at today's league and not realize you need to be able to outscore your opponent.

Not to mention that you play the Pats twice a year in the regular season. Your investment should be first and foremost in the ability to put up 30+ points.