Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Idzeks Biggest Decision - What to About Revis...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    The other thing is no one has thought of or posted this before.

I will bet the house that this isnt close to the biggest decision our new GM has to face this year.
    Agreed. I think the Sanchez decision will be his biggest decision!

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

good point............

Quote Originally Posted by Redrew View Post
    Who will harass broads walking down the stadium spiral.....or buy PSLs
    yeah who.............

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    you guys are forgetting a big issue here.. What does Revis want? Does he want to go to a top team and avoid this mess? Does he just want top dollar? Which is what I think he cares most about. If thats the case he will probably want to go to FA for bidding war. We cant risk losing him for nothing.

You also have to ask, will Revis want to agree to sign at time of trade with the trading team. Team is not going to give a high pick to rent revis for less than a year.. If we are stuck with sanchez next year we are not making the playoffs, maybe we can trade revis for a 3rd, then try to sign him as a FA ha. not likely to happen but that would be great.

If we cant sign him before season, can always trade him in season before the deadline. Give him a chance to show hes back in form, and maybe some playoff bound team sees they have a huge weakness at corner, giants/denver,ect. and gets desperate. If the giants had Revis they would easily made the playoffs, after watching them lose games with corner play.. Its not like a qb in season, Revis can come on a team and instantly make a huge difference..
    The other big question , will he be healthy. Everyone assumes he'll be ok because guys like AP had great comebacks. Although the surgeries have become better , theres never a guarantee.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    we can not trade him now. His value is at an all time low. Let him play, increase his value and then be open to trades. I'm tired of the Jets trading their players for less than their value. Look what happened to Vilma, he got hurt, we trade him for pennies and he continued to be an all pro linebacker. I am bitter because he was my favorite Jet but either way. If we trade Revis for a 2nd rounder I'll be livid. If he has a great year next year we should get 2 first round picks and that's all I'd take for him. Either that or sign him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    you guys are forgetting a big issue here.. What does Revis want? Does he want to go to a top team and avoid this mess? Does he just want top dollar? Which is what I think he cares most about. If thats the case he will probably want to go to FA for bidding war. We cant risk losing him for nothing.

You also have to ask, will Revis want to agree to sign at time of trade with the trading team. Team is not going to give a high pick to rent revis for less than a year.. If we are stuck with sanchez next year we are not making the playoffs, maybe we can trade revis for a 3rd, then try to sign him as a FA ha. not likely to happen but that would be great.

If we cant sign him before season, can always trade him in season before the deadline. Give him a chance to show hes back in form, and maybe some playoff bound team sees they have a huge weakness at corner, giants/denver,ect. and gets desperate. If the giants had Revis they would easily made the playoffs, after watching them lose games with corner play.. Its not like a qb in season, Revis can come on a team and instantly make a huge difference..
    The thing is you "can't" trade Revis in season. next year his cap hit is 9mill, but only 3 mill of it is salary. 3 mill is pro rated bonus, and 3 mill is roster and reporting bonuses. so he would have already collected the reporting and rostr bonuses. So he at the time of the trade is about 7 mill cap hit of the 9 with the new team picking up the other 2 mill to make it the 9 mill. However he has two more years of SB that will hit the cap at 3mill each year at the time the trade is made so the jets will need to have at least 4 mill of surplus cap room at the time the traded is made. Tanny really screwed up on this deal.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by N Y J View Post
    we can not trade him now. His value is at an all time low. Let him play, increase his value and then be open to trades. I'm tired of the Jets trading their players for less than their value. Look what happened to Vilma, he got hurt, we trade him for pennies and he continued to be an all pro linebacker. I am bitter because he was my favorite Jet but either way. If we trade Revis for a 2nd rounder I'll be livid. If he has a great year next year we should get 2 first round picks and that's all I'd take for him. Either that or sign him.
    In 2014 he is a FA. We will get nothing for him. He will not be under contract, so he is free to sign with any team. The Jets get zip, nada, nothing.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GandWFan View Post
    In 2014 he is a FA. We will get nothing for him. He will not be under contract, so he is free to sign with any team. The Jets get zip, nada, nothing.
    I understand this, but I just can't see the Jets letting him go, especially now.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Revis is in his prime and is an all time great. You build around players like Revis you don't offload them in a desperate gambit.

What if you end up trading Revis for picks that end up being another Gholston plus a bunch of JAGs? It's huge risk/little reward.

The Jets were in the AFCCG just two years ago - if they bite the bullet this year and eat some serious wasted cap space they could position themselves for a successful 2014.

Revis, Cumberland, Wilkerson, Kerley - these guys are the Jets foundation for the future. You don't undermine that on the hope you might find someone almost as good as Revis in the draft.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Vilma sucked in the 3-4 that's why he was traded plus he never made All Pro he made 3 pro bowls in 9 years.. Now if Revis signs a reasonable contract this Aug everyone will be happy.. However if he plays out his last year and doesn't sign then he's a FA and we get nothing.. Since most think 2013 is a throw away rebuilding year what difference does it make?? Here's a article from when he was hurt in Oct.. http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...situation.html

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I understand this, but I just can't see the Jets letting him go, especially now.
    So the question is, get something for him now or get nothing for him next year. You say the later. This only makes sense if you think that the Jets have a shot at being a playoff team next season. With our cap and QB situation, I don't see it.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fnordcircle View Post
    Revis is in his prime and is an all time great. You build around players like Revis you don't offload them in a desperate gambit.

What if you end up trading Revis for picks that end up being another Gholston plus a bunch of JAGs? It's huge risk/little reward.

The Jets were in the AFCCG just two years ago - if they bite the bullet this year and eat some serious wasted cap space they could position themselves for a successful 2014.

Revis, Cumberland, Wilkerson, Kerley - these guys are the Jets foundation for the future. You don't undermine that on the hope you might find someone almost as good as Revis in the draft.
    You guys are missing the point.

We are not saying that the draft picks will replace Revis's value on the team. They won't. We are saying that Revis will demand to be the highest paid defensive player in the NFL after this season. Whether he deserves that is not the debate. The debate is "is it wise to spend 15%+ of your cap on one player, thus limiting what you can spend on the other 52"?

For a franchise QB, yes. For a CB, no. Simple.

So if you are going to lose Revis after the 2013 season anyway, and since an all world CB will still not take us to a SB with next year's roster, we may as well get something for him now, rather than nothing for him in 2013.

It is all a moot point, really. No team is going to give up significant draft picks to rent Revis for 1 year.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cromarties value is high right now. If we can sign Revis to a reasonable contract now then do it and then trade Cromartie. That is the best of both situations if Jets can pull this off.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    Cromarties value is high right now. If we can sign Revis to a reasonable contract now then do it and then trade Cromartie. That is the best of both situations if Jets can pull this off.
    I agree, but this will NEVER happen. Revis has squeezed every red cent out of the Jets since he got here. Why would he possibly change that now. He just has to play well this season and he gets a record setting payday. He will NEVER settle for a reasonable contract (~9MM per) now.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, but this will NEVER happen. Revis has squeezed every red cent out of the Jets since he got here. Why would he possibly change that now. He just has to play well this season and he gets a record setting payday. He will NEVER settle for a reasonable contract (~9MM per) now.
    The only thing is the Jets do have some leverage now as Revis is coming off a major injury and surgery. The new GM can establish a strong presence by playing hardball right form the get go with Revis. Tell him we'll give you 9M , 10M max for 3 years take it or leave it. If he re-ups great , then trade Cro. If not get what you can for him before he walks for free next year. Bottom line players shouldn't hold teams hostage, the Jets need to flip the tables and have the front office stand strong. Afterall its the Pats model that's worked very effectively for Bellicheck & Co.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    The only thing is the Jets do have some leverage now as Revis is coming off a major injury and surgery. The new GM can establish a strong presence by playing hardball right form the get go with Revis. Tell him we'll give you 9M , 10M max for 3 years take it or leave it. If he re-ups great , then trade Cro. If not get what you can for him before he walks for free next year. Bottom line players shouldn't hold teams hostage, the Jets need to flip the tables and have the front office stand strong. Afterall its the Pats model that's worked very effectively for Bellicheck & Co.
    I am with you 100%.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    no way in hell. we have the 2 best cbs in the league. rex is a defensive guru and he wants this.

the offense is secondary and always will be as long as rex is here.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    +1 This ^

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    +3

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Black View Post
    I love Revis but if we could bring back a package of draft picks and or some young players, I would be inclined to trade him... Assuming teams would be willing to give up much from someone coming off a season ending injury. What say my fellow Jet Posters?
    Pass defense did a great job without him... I would try to resign both safeties... then if the trade package is strong (picks/young players), move Revis....

moving Revis gives us cap relief and allows us to address some of the many spots we need help with!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    You guys are missing the point.

We are not saying that the draft picks will replace Revis's value on the team. They won't. We are saying that Revis will demand to be the highest paid defensive player in the NFL after this season. Whether he deserves that is not the debate. The debate is "is it wise to spend 15%+ of your cap on one player, thus limiting what you can spend on the other 52"?

For a franchise QB, yes. For a CB, no. Simple.

So if you are going to lose Revis after the 2013 season anyway, and since an all world CB will still not take us to a SB with next year's roster, we may as well get something for him now, rather than nothing for him in 2013.

It is all a moot point, really. No team is going to give up significant draft picks to rent Revis for 1 year.
    You're wasting your breathe on the mongrels.