Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Idzeks Biggest Decision - What to About Revis...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The biggest challenge that Idzik faces is to significantly upgrade the talent level on the Jets. Explain to me again how trading your best player accomplishes that? Stop this nonsense, please.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    What team out there is going to pay 15 mill a year for Revis and trade you three players? The market is not as big as you think, when peppers was a FA they were only a few teams that could afford him and back then the cap was going up every year.
    That is why there may be a possibility in trading Cromartie. Yes, he has two years left at around $10 million a season, but his dead money in each of those seasons is only $1.25 million. He has HUGE roster bonus' each year, so a contract could be reworked to extend it 1-2 years, and then his hit for each year is only around $6-7 million. It is possible.

I think it is more realistic that you might get a 2nd and a conditional 4th that could turn into another 2nd or 3rd for Revis, with the new team understanding he could be a one year rental player if he is going to play hardball and want his $15 million per season.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    The biggest challenge that Idzik faces is to significantly upgrade the talent level on the Jets. Explain to me again how trading your best player accomplishes that? Stop this nonsense, please.
    You mean the best player that missed the entire season and the defense didn't miss a beat? Yes, indeed stop this nonsense.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd love to keep Revis on the team....but if trading him brings us a windfall of players/draft picks ala the Herschel Walker comparison and some Super Bowl trophies....yeah I want that before I die.

EDIT: Besides....I don't have a Revis jersey to mourn

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    Sell high, buy low.

meaning: trade Cro, resign Revis.
    That is the smart play.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't care about the specific player, I care about the Jets being a winning franchise. We have Revis now and we have won nothing.

If Idzik's strategy is to leverage this great player into multiple picks/players which leads to championships then I'm all for it.

Not saying I want Revis to go but I want a winning franchise and every option should be considered.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

If Revis

Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    Since we can't fix the QB position and will have to draft and develop a QB the year after next we might as well keep him. Don't see anyone giving us a heist for Revis.

Teams are going deep into the playoffs by getting production out of young players who are talented and on their first contracts. We aren't going to get a Hershel Walker type deal for Revis. The model has changed.
    If a team like a Tampa is convinced revis is healthy, a 1st and 3rd isn't out of the realm of possibility. Warmack and Dysert.I would fly through the roof, and i don't think thats an unreasonable asking price

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    did you really just say for a SUPER BLUE CHIP PROSPECT AND SOME OTHER TOP PROSPECTS? ok...u got me...Revis for Luck and the colts next 9 first rounders... lol

r u 12?
    Again with the insults; sigh. No I am not 12 nor am I a wise ass.

When the draft rolls around there will be players available who are difference makers, but you know what? In addition just HAVING picks give us options whether to make a trade, move up or down and get more picks etc. That is what a sharp GM would do.

Maybe it is time we began to take a page from Belichek and starting thinking about the what is best for the TEAM. If Revis is will to sign a cap friendly contact that would be great but I don't see it. He wants to get PAID, period.

When he walks in a year and we have nothing to show for it lets have this conversation again. Guys like you never have anything constructive to add to the discussion....

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetlifer View Post
    I don't care about the specific player, I care about the Jets being a winning franchise. We have Revis now and we have won nothing.

If Idzik's strategy is to leverage this great player into multiple picks/players which leads to championships then I'm all for it.

Not saying I want Revis to go but I want a winning franchise and every option should be considered.

Jetlifer, you hit the nail on the head in every way. Great post....

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    You mean the best player that missed the entire season and the defense didn't miss a beat? Yes, indeed stop this nonsense.
    These guys have all bought into the Revis is GOD propaganda; you have to wonder if his agent posts on this board....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder if Revis' status played a role in the interviews. Wonder if some candidates discussed his situation and how they would handle it.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Trade him now or hes walking. Thats the options.
    Sign him now is another option. That means trade Cromartie while his value is at an all time high.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Black View Post
    Interesting... hadn't really thought of that. What do you think he would bring in a trade?
    All pro CB, gotta be worth a mid number one and a third in this years draft, is my guess. If you take a one this year, you can probably get a 2 thrown in next year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    If a team like a Tampa is convinced revis is healthy, a 1st and 3rd isn't out of the realm of possibility. Warmack and Dysert.I would fly through the roof, and i don't think thats an unreasonable asking price
    You think they will be ok with paying him 15 mill? They are already paying Jackson and Carl Nicks over 10 mill a season, Freeman will be a FA next year if they add Revis that will be 4 guys making 40% of the cap for the whole team.
    If I was them I would sign Grimes and Moore away from the division rival for the same 15 mill and keep the picks for cheap labor to balance out the 15 mill for just two starters .
    Last edited by patman; 01-19-2013 at 10:28 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    These guys have all bought into the Revis is GOD propaganda; you have to wonder if his agent posts on this board....
    Deion Sanders a first ballot HOF'er was on 5 different teams in his career. Revis will probably be on at least 3 before he retires.. He can walk after next year and he wants close to QB type money.. I can't see any team giving up high picks for him when they can wait and give up nothing..

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love Revis but if we could bring back a package of draft picks and or some young players, I would be inclined to trade him... Assuming teams would be willing to give up much from someone coming off a season ending injury. What say my fellow Jet Posters?
    please stop posting.

idziks biggest and most important decision is who will be the starting qb of this team. a new gm doesnt trade the best cb in football for i dont know players.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its nice to have a guy who is the best at his position on the roster, it really is.

But unless that position is QB then its kind of a Pyrrhic victory - look at the final 4 left in the SB - how many elite CB's can you see?

Baltimore lost their No.1 guy early.
    New England has Talib and a 7th round rook
    Atlanta have Asante Samuel who is way past his best
    SF have a terrific front 7 but their DB's are the weakness.

I'm not sure how much value Cro and Revis bring - but this year should be all about clearing out high ticket items and rebuilding through the draft - 2013 is a write off anyhow.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Patman

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    You think they will be ok with paying him 15 mill? They are already paying Jackson and Carl Nicks over 10 mill a season, Freeman will be a FA next year if they add Revis that will be 4 guys making 40% of the cap for the whole team.
    If I was them I would sign Grimes and Moore away from the division rival for the same 15 mill.
    I know there are teams of a #1 Corner. with revis,there getting the best, i have no idea what these teams are willing to pay to get revis. Its hard for me to believe with the money being thrown around,that there isn't a team that would work something out.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    please stop posting.

idziks biggest and most important decision is who will be the starting qb of this team. a new gm doesnt trade the best cb in football for i dont know players.
    Actually, he's doing just fine.

Why would the QB decision have any bearing on the Revis decision (if there is even one to be made)? That's a wasted sentence right there.

As for your last comment, it's an opinion your entitled to, but nothing more. A new GM will do whatever he deems improves the team by his criteria, including trading a top player. One of the benefits of importing from outside the organization is he should have no ties/loyalties to current players that impair his objectivity.

Simply put...there should be NO sacred cows. Fact is we have one in Rex, and probably another in Sanchez because of salary cap issues, but beyond that, anything should be fair game.

If someone is willing to overpay for 'the best CB in the game' then I'm all ears.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Suffering Jets Fan View Post
    All pro CB, gotta be worth a mid number one and a third in this years draft, is my guess. If you take a one this year, you can probably get a 2 thrown in next year.
    It is not that his value is not worth it as a football player, it is. He is the best at his position in the nfl. But for a team looking for a top corner do you want to pay his salary and give up the picks. If he was making 7 mill a year for the next 5 years, the jets would get 2#1s plus more. But the guy wants more 12% of the total cap and he is coming off an ACL and is only signed for one year.