Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Idzeks Biggest Decision - What to About Revis...

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    Except we have to score point too and need talent on offense.
    then start a halfway decent qb and not the sanchez **** show.

Quote Originally Posted by njherdfan View Post
    I'm not saying it doesn't matter how much you pay him. I'm saying that as the cap increases, the value of his deal will become a smaller portion of the total cap.

Of course I'd like more money to spend on offensive talent. I'd like more money to spend on every position, but I want it to be money that's spent wisely.

The biggest issue I have with people that want to trade Revis, however, is with the bolded. I agree that it might not be a great idea to have 25 million committed to the CBs and we probably want to get rid of Cro soon because he's so reliant on athleticism, but my bigger point is this: what's worse, paying 25 million dollars for the best and a top 5 CB in the NFL, or paying 27 million dollars for the bad LB play of Harris, Scott, and Pace. Realistically, the Jets could have spent 3 million dollars this year on those 3 LB positions and gotten 99% of the same production.

The key to winning in the NFL isn't making the blanket statement that we can't pay player X a certain percentage of our cap; it's getting what you pay for when you do spend money. With the money the Jets spent on their LBers this year they should have expected play like that of the 9ers Willis, Bowman, and Aldon Smith. Imagine how good the D would have been with that scenario.
    No doubt you're absolutely right. The biggest problem with the Jets isn't Revis's current contract, it's Harris, Sanchez, Pace, Scott and Holmes. Those deals are killing this team.

But just because you've made previous errors doesn't mean you should compound those with additional errors. If you can get Revis for sub 12mm a year give him a five year deal (just under a 60mm total contract) and let him retire a Jet. I would LOVE that...

But....If you believe he's going to demand 15mm and you can get a 1st for him this year (as 2013 is a waste anyway) then we should...

Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Aside from a franchise QB, there is no player that is indispensable. It is foolish to compromise your salary structure to sign any player other than a franchise QB.
    But if you don't have a franchise QB?
    If there's no immediate likelihood of you acquiring one?

Sure, except if you took the three worst teams out of everyone else's schedule they would likely end up 2 again...
    Ugh, you missed the point.

We're not going to play the NFC West and AFC South QBs next season, instead we have the NFC North and AFC West.

Here are the QBs we'll be facing next season:
    Aaron Rodgers
    Matt Stafford
    Jay Cutler
    Peyton Manning
    Phillip Rivers
    Tom Brady x2
    Ben Roehtlisberger

Yeah, lets get rid of the best defensive back in the game just in time for them

Oh and P.S:

Whoever said you can't build a defense around an all world CB is ridiculous. How do you think we got our sacks the last 3 seasons? It sure as hell wasn't because of the likes of Bryan Thomas, Calvin Pace, and Jamaal Westerman. It was all coverage sacks. How did Aaron Maybin do when Revis was on the field last year? and how did he do this year? Oh ok just making sure.

this why no one wants to come here.........

Quote Originally Posted by Long Suffering Jets Fan View Post
    The reason most people say is because of our cap situation and trade him now, or get nothing later. Here are the cap saving by cutting players in 2013 and 2014.

http://www.nyjetscap.com/salary13.html
    http://www.nyjetscap.com/salary14.html

Jason Smith $12M
    Calvin Pace $8.56M
    Bart Scott $7.15M
    Sione Pouha $3.83M
    Eric Smith $3M
    Tim Tebow $1.53M

Total = $36.07M

In addition around 20 players (many no names) who would save $500K each.

Mark Sanchez $8.3M
    Antonio Cromartie $9.5M
    Santonio Holmes $8.25M
    David Harris $5M

Total = $31M

My point here is there appears to be plenty of $ to resign Revis, if we're willing to part with some of these other names.

Just don't understand why so many folks are so quick to put Revis' name out there. Some say they would take a 3rd rounder for him. When's the last time we drafted a quality 3rd rounder? Even first rounders are a crap shoot.

In addition,if Revis is traded, watch Antonio Cromartie immediately threaten to hold out for more money.
    what you make is common sense, what this site and jets fans don't have much of. our front office and fan base don't respect its good players and hold on to the bad ones or wrong ones to long. ive watched over and over how the fans get so geeked up over some also ran with little or no talent (usally white) and want the head of a good player who is having a off year head on a platter. we are so quick to label black players a bust and or stupid that becomes insulting after a while. we have some of the most fickle fans in the states, they act like they are paying these people. we have a laundry list of players that are playing for other teams that the jets could or should have held on to. when you look at jets insider and see just two people on the hall of fame list its a shame as well. its a respect thing, if you treat your player right then maybe some one will not have to be given the farm to come here

my, my, my,

Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    The dumbest idea yet. Don't know why you would trade the best player you have. I do believe the ones calling for him to be traded are the ones that wanted Tebow to start. Just shows you how smart they are.
    a intelligent jets fan...........

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Aside from a franchise QB, there is no player that is indispensable. It is foolish to compromise your salary structure to sign any player other than a franchise QB.
    100% accurate! Let's see if Idzek gets that.

Quote Originally Posted by kennesawjet View Post
    what you make is common sense, what this site and jets fans don't have much of. our front office and fan base don't respect its good players and hold on to the bad ones or wrong ones to long. ive watched over and over how the fans get so geeked up over some also ran with little or no talent (usally white) and want the head of a good player who is having a off year head on a platter. we are so quick to label black players a bust and or stupid that becomes insulting after a while. we have some of the most fickle fans in the states, they act like they are paying these people. we have a laundry list of players that are playing for other teams that the jets could or should have held on to. when you look at jets insider and see just two people on the hall of fame list its a shame as well. its a respect thing, if you treat your player right then maybe some one will not have to be given the farm to come here
    Did you just pull out the race card .

That wasn't where I was going at all

Quote Originally Posted by JETFAN1 View Post
    I'm willing to pay what he deserves as an elite CB.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    Doesn't really answer the question...

How much is that? Match the pay of the top CB in the league? beat that by a mm a year? 3mm a year?

Pay him the equivalent of the top DE?

Try and be specific because I'm hearing so much.."We can't trade Revis" talk and it seems like a blanket statement. Of course there's a line...Where is it?

EVERY Jet fan would LOVE to keep Revis but also understands, in order to build a team that will compete every year, it might make more sense to trade him.

hear, hear,

Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    revis is the type of player you build a team around.

coples,ellis,wilkerson,cromartie,landry,bell,harri s,davis,mcintyre add a speedy olb or switch to the 4-3 and you have an elite top 5 nfl defense.
    genius material..............

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Green Bandit View Post

I guess it doesn't apply to Mexicans??

see aaron glen.............

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Who hates Revis?? That's like a kids reaction "If you don't agree with me your a hater"..Wah I think Revis is one of the top 3 CB's I have ever seen in over 60 years of watching the NFL.. It's about how many slots can we refill on the team within the salary cap and still pay him what he wants.. Revis as great as he is doesn't rate the team as high as he does his bank acct.. He's a highly paid mercenary that excells at what he does but he shouldn't be above the team.. That's not hate that's reality..
    and hastings, traded to kc should have just made him a safety, lack of respect
    Last edited by kennesawjet; 01-19-2013 at 03:10 PM.

Veteran
    Doesn't really answer the question...

How much is that? Match the pay of the top CB in the league? beat that by a mm a year? 3mm a year?

Pay him the equivalent of the top DE?

Try and be specific because I'm hearing so much.."We can't trade Revis" talk and it seems like a blanket statement. Of course there's a line...Where is it?

EVERY Jet fan would LOVE to keep Revis but also understands, in order to build a team that will compete every year, it might make more sense to trade him.
    TBH I don't know a number but to keep it as simple as possible the highest paid defensive player is accurate to me. Is Revis going to be restricted or unrestricted?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by JETFAN1; 01-19-2013 at 03:05 PM.

great point dude...........

Ugh, you missed the point.

We're not going to play the NFC West and AFC South QBs next season, instead we have the NFC North and AFC West.

Here are the QBs we'll be facing next season:
    Aaron Rodgers
    Matt Stafford
    Jay Cutler
    Peyton Manning
    Phillip Rivers
    Tom Brady x2
    Ben Roehtlisberger

Yeah, lets get rid of the best defensive back in the game just in time for them

Oh and P.S:

Whoever said you can't build a defense around an all world CB is ridiculous. How do you think we got our sacks the last 3 seasons? It sure as hell wasn't because of the likes of Bryan Thomas, Calvin Pace, and Jamaal Westerman. It was all coverage sacks. How did Aaron Maybin do when Revis was on the field last year? and how did he do this year? Oh ok just making sure.
    just rested my case.........

I am a diehard Jet fan and I absolutely love Revis but a football team is a team. You simply can't pay a cornerback that kind of money. Even if Revis was totally healthy this season - the best corner ever - how many games do the Jets win ? Maybe 7 or 8 at most. So you hamstring your whole team to have the best corner and you win 7 games? It's just not worth it. Sorry but it's just not effective putting that much money at that position. That's the bottom line.
    There is nothing more to it. You put your money at the most important position - QB. Simple as that.

was that the infamous race card.........

no, that was the all to subtle fact card....

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    I am a diehard Jet fan and I absolutely love Revis but a football team is a team. You simply can't pay a cornerback that kind of money. Even if Revis was totally healthy this season - the best corner ever - how many games do the Jets win ? Maybe 7 or 8 at most. So you hamstring your whole team to have the best corner and you win 7 games? It's just not worth it. Sorry but it's just not effective putting that much money at that position. That's the bottom line.
    There is nothing more to it. You put your money at the most important position - QB. Simple as that.
    I think quite a few think you build your team around the CB instead..

ha, ha, ha, ha,

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    What? Who?

I say we start a petition to band morons from these sites and the stadium and from being a jets fan. what say?

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    I think quite a few think you build your team around the CB instead..
    We put money on Sanchez and tried to build around him. Look at how that turned out.

I dont understand NOT resigning Revis. Where are we putting money elsewhere? What are the good free agent QBs we should get that are good enough so we can forget about Revis? Where is all the talent?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by kennesawjet View Post
    I say we start a petition to band morons from these sites and the stadium and from being a jets fan. what say?
    We will miss you..