Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Idzeks Biggest Decision - What to About Revis...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    This is what stinks. We have to trade him, people who think otherwise do not see the big picture.

I'd settle for a 2nd rounder. Too many problems with the team to worry about paying a star CB who demands top dollar and holds out too often.
    This is more the argument for Revis to me. Do you trade him for a 2nd and take the cap hit this year? Or do you trade Cro for a 3-4th and get back a huge chunk of CAP. I'd rather not take the cap hit and keep him on one more year. If he walks at the end of the year no big deal IMO. I don't expect anyone to dish out 80 mil for him. If you trade a CB it should be Cro he is older and saves you cap. Take that money this year and find yourself a vet OLB to help out THIS YEAR. Then next year you can use the extra cap to make Revis an offer. You put out what ever the market value is if he wants to come back next year he does. You don't trade the best player on your team if it doesn't make you a better team. If we can get a young good cheap RB or OLB back in return plus a 3-4th rounder fine. If not pass.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    The Jets have a culture of trading away all of their best players. Now, we have a legitimately great player on our team and all of these idiots want to trade him. That would be the dumbest f*cking thing they could ever do.

John Idzik? If you by chance read this forum, PLEASE do not ever listen to any one of these morons around here.

Darrelle Revis is an all world player. A player that if you build around him will make the team championship worthy. He MUST get locked up for his entire career as a NYJ.
    What? Who?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    The Jets have a culture of trading away all of their best players. Now, we have a legitimately great player on our team and all of these idiots want to trade him. That would be the dumbest f*cking thing they could ever do.

John Idzik? If you by chance read this forum, PLEASE do not ever listen to any one of these morons around here.

Darrelle Revis is an all world player. A player that if you build around him will make the team championship worthy. He MUST get locked up for his entire career as a NYJ.
    I'll ask it again because I can't get an answer from the don't trade Revis at all costs people. How much are you willing to pay him? Where do you draw the line?

if he asks for $12mm a year, $15mm, $20mm????

is there no line, just pay him whatever he asks? Because that's what it sounds likes you're saying.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    So how much is too much? After next season he's a free agent, how much annually are you willing to pay Revis?
    Well his salary this year is:

Base Salary: $3M
    Prorated Bonus: $3M
    Roster Bonus: $2M
    Other Bonus: $1M

That's $9M this year. I think if we trade Cromartie we can do $15M easily, but alot depends on how the contract is structured.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Greentide View Post
    Well, I'd agree except assuming we lose both our starting safeties from last season(good possibility) and Revis goes, I'm fairly certain that No.2 rank against the pass will turn into No.22.
    Because the Jets need Safeties, not CB's.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    Let's keep Revis and be forced to keep guys like Clyde Gates, Chaz Schilens & Mardy Gilyard on offense.
    no more like hill,kerley,edwards,holmes. post facts and not fiction.

id rather cut sanchez and the offense instantly improves.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Greentide View Post
    Well, I'd agree except assuming we lose both our starting safeties from last season(good possibility) and Revis goes, I'm fairly certain that No.2 rank against the pass will turn into No.22.
    No one can be certain about who the new players will be and how they would play.. I do know this BB won a Bowl with W/R Troy Brown playing DB.. And the Giants won a bowl with the help of a backup W/R catching a ball against his helmet.. And Revis didn't help either one..

Veteran
    Clark University, by way of West Orange, NJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    How can you honestly say it doesn't matter how much you pay him. Of course is does. whether the cap moves or not paying a CB too much simply doesn't make all that much sense.

I see your point about a QB, we're not going to do a whole lot without a QB anyway. What if we hit on a later round QB (like Seattle or SF) wouldn't you want that 15mm to spend on offensive talent. Surround our new found prize with as much talent as possible.

People scream about lack of talent on the offense but want to pay two CB's $25 million dollars. You can't do that in this league.
    I'm not saying it doesn't matter how much you pay him. I'm saying that as the cap increases, the value of his deal will become a smaller portion of the total cap.

Of course I'd like more money to spend on offensive talent. I'd like more money to spend on every position, but I want it to be money that's spent wisely.

The biggest issue I have with people that want to trade Revis, however, is with the bolded. I agree that it might not be a great idea to have 25 million committed to the CBs and we probably want to get rid of Cro soon because he's so reliant on athleticism, but my bigger point is this: what's worse, paying 25 million dollars for the best and a top 5 CB in the NFL, or paying 27 million dollars for the bad LB play of Harris, Scott, and Pace. Realistically, the Jets could have spent 3 million dollars this year on those 3 LB positions and gotten 99% of the same production.

The key to winning in the NFL isn't making the blanket statement that we can't pay player X a certain percentage of our cap; it's getting what you pay for when you do spend money. With the money the Jets spent on their LBers this year they should have expected play like that of the 9ers Willis, Bowman, and Aldon Smith. Imagine how good the D would have been with that scenario.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    And jettisoned the team captain All Pro safety Lawyer Milloy right before the start of the 03 season..
    And Richard Seymour as well.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    There was no point during this season that I thought, "Man, this D really needs Revis". And the stats bare it out. No. 2 Pass D. There were lots of times that I thought the D needed an OLB with speed and that the O was struggling because of poor line play, bad WR's, and no decent RB who can run, catch and pick up a blitz. Not to mention the worst QB play I've seen since Rick Mirer was in town.

Idzik was a Math major at Dartmouth. No way he thinks it's a good idea to pay 10% of your cap to a player you didn't need on the field to have the No 2 pass D, when $$ can better be spent to improve OLB, RB, OL, WR, and QB.
    you are one smart mother ****er.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    And what has his SUPER EPIC AWESOME LEVEL OF CBING gotten us, hmm? Oh, nothing? And he wants more money? Oh, and our Pass D was ranked 2nd last season? Yea, Revis can kick rocks.
    Yeah we were second in pass defense. Take out that Cardinals, Rams, and Titans game and I bet you we would rank in the 20's.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Bandit View Post
    Yeah we were second in pass defense. Take out that Cardinals, Rams, and Titans game and I bet you we would rank in the 20's.
    Sure, except if you took the three worst teams out of everyone else's schedule they would likely end up 2 again...

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Bandit View Post
    Take away the 1 shot fired in Lincoln's head and he enjoys the play alot better..

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    revis is the type of player you build a team around.

coples,ellis,wilkerson,cromartie,landry,bell,harri s,davis,mcintyre add a speedy olb or switch to the 4-3 and you have an elite top 5 nfl defense.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    And Richard Seymour as well.
    Aside from a franchise QB, there is no player that is indispensable. It is foolish to compromise your salary structure to sign any player other than a franchise QB.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post

coples,ellis,wilkerson,cromartie,landry,bell,harri s,davis,mcintyre add a speedy olb or switch to the 4-3 and you have an elite top 5 nfl defense.
    Except we have to score point too and need talent on offense.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post

In football history how many teams were built around a CB???

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    So how much is too much? After next season he's a free agent, how much annually are you willing to pay Revis?
    I'm willing to pay what he deserves as an elite CB.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The dumbest idea yet. Don't know why you would trade the best player you have. I do believe the ones calling for him to be traded are the ones that wanted Tebow to start. Just shows you how smart they are.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    And what has his SUPER EPIC AWESOME LEVEL OF CBING gotten us, hmm? Oh, nothing? And he wants more money? Oh, and our Pass D was ranked 2nd last season? Yea, Revis can kick rocks.
    You can't be serious about that stat? That stat alone is a joke but to use it as an excuse to not keep Revis? Really?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2