Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Idzeks Biggest Decision - What to About Revis...

Veteran
    Clark University, by way of West Orange, NJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    Serious question for the keep Revis at all costs crowd.

How much is too much? Is there a price we have to pay to keep him that is too much?

If we were offered a trade, what would it take?

It's not really about keeping him at all costs it's just a matter of how you value him.

For me 12mm a year (10 percent of the entire team cap) is too much for any corner. That's the line I draw.
    I don't see the point of putting a specific number as being "too much" of a team's cap because the cap is going to increase every year, and you can structure deals so he's not making the same amount of money every year.

The bigger point is this: the Jets, and any team, won't win a super bowl without a legitimate QB. Legitimate QBs aren't acquired via FA because they never become available. The Jets, within the next 2-3 years, are going to spend a high draft pick on a QB, and he won't cost very much for the first few years of his deal because of the rookie salary structure. If the Jets hit on that pick, and he turns in to a stud and then there are worries about being able to re-sign him, then you can worry about Revis's theoretical contract.

Now, though, all of the griping by Jets fans on this board is so weird; it seems like people want to get rid of Revis just for the sake of doing something, even though he's probably already the best Jet of all time and he's only 27. He also (and this is important) plays a position where you can use technique and intelligence (two things he has in abundance) to continue to play at a high level into your thirties.

The Jets do have salary cap issues, but they're because Tanny spent so much money on players who don't deserve it. The problems aren't from paying a superstar like a superstar; they're from playing average-to-good players like superstars. If Idzik is worth anything, he'll clear all of the dead weight from this team after this season and keep the players who deserve to be here, like Revis.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing is happening right now with Revis and nothing will until everyone sees where he is at in the Pre Season. At the Moment Revis is Damaged Goods

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets have a culture of trading away all of their best players. Now, we have a legitimately great player on our team and all of these idiots want to trade him. That would be the dumbest f*cking thing they could ever do.

John Idzik? If you by chance read this forum, PLEASE do not ever listen to any one of these morons around here.

Darrelle Revis is an all world player. A player that if you build around him will make the team championship worthy. He MUST get locked up for his entire career as a NYJ.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    just out of curiosity, why dont the yankees trade jeter for prospects (say 8 years ago)? everyone knows pitching wins...
    Because there is no salary cap in baseball. If there was no salary cap in the NFL, I'd say get the Brinks truck and pay the man. But there is a salary cap, so paying him if it is possible to trade him for multiple picks and/or players would be the height of stupidity.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    The Jets have a culture of trading away all of their best players. Now, we have a legitimately great player on our team and all of these idiots want to trade him. That would be the dumbest f*cking thing they could ever do.

John Idzik? If you by chance read this forum, PLEASE do not ever listen to any one of these morons around here.

Darrelle Revis is an all world player. A player that if you build around him will make the team championship worthy. He MUST get locked up for his entire career as a NYJ.
    IF he is able to play at the same level that he did before the ACL tear.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by njherdfan View Post
    I don't see the point of putting a specific number as being "too much" of a team's cap because the cap is going to increase every year, and you can structure deals so he's not making the same amount of money every year.

The bigger point is this: the Jets, and any team, won't win a super bowl without a legitimate QB. Legitimate QBs aren't acquired via FA because they never become available. The Jets, within the next 2-3 years, are going to spend a high draft pick on a QB, and he won't cost very much for the first few years of his deal because of the rookie salary structure. If the Jets hit on that pick, and he turns in to a stud and then there are worries about being able to re-sign him, then you can worry about Revis's theoretical contract.

Now, though, all of the griping by Jets fans on this board is so weird; it seems like people want to get rid of Revis just for the sake of doing something, even though he's probably already the best Jet of all time and he's only 27. He also (and this is important) plays a position where you can use technique and intelligence (two things he has in abundance) to continue to play at a high level into your thirties.

The Jets do have salary cap issues, but they're because Tanny spent so much money on players who don't deserve it. The problems aren't from paying a superstar like a superstar; they're from playing average-to-good players like superstars. If Idzik is worth anything, he'll clear all of the dead weight from this team after this season and keep the players who deserve to be here, like Revis.
    How many Bowls has he won?? Best Jet CB ever? Yes no doubt but best Jet of all time?? You must be under 40.. With Revis playing we still have been beaten by teams that have scored 40+ points on us, it's not like he shuts the whole other team down.. Give me a pass rusher that get in a QB's head and throws his game off.. I'll take that anyday over a CB..

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    The basic reasoning is that if he wants more money, deal him and get something for it while you still can. If we don't, he's just going to walk and sign with the highest bidder while we get nothing out of the situation.

Revis is a CB, not some franchise QB. There's no way we should give him top QB money just because "HERP DERP HE DA BESS CB IN DA GAME DOE!". You don't NEED the best CB in the game to win. I'd take a legit pass-rusher/solid QB over the super epic awesome ultra elite HoF cornerback any day of the week. His position just isn't important enough to warrant huge amounts of money while we're struggling at other positions on the team (QB, WR, OLine, LB). Add to that the fact that our Pass D was ranked #2 in the league WITHOUT Revis, you get good reasons for dealing him while you still can.
    Nobody is going to give you a legit pass rusher or QB for revis. derp derp doe

Veteran
    Clark University, by way of West Orange, NJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    How many Bowls has he won?? Best Jet CB ever? Yes no doubt but best Jet of all time?? You must be under 40.. With Revis playing we still have been beaten by teams that have scored 40+ points on us, it's not like he shuts the whole other team down.. Give me a pass rusher that get in a QB's head and throws his game off.. I'll take that anyday over a CB..

Sure, that would be great if the Jets could get an elite pass-rusher. But those players don't generally hit free agency either, and it's not like the Jets could get a player like Aldon Smith or Von Miller in a trade. Whether we'd take those players over Revis is all just theoretical at this point.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

In the future don't ever complain about name calling your one of the worst.. You build around Revis and I'll build around a all world QB and we will see who wins more bowls..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    The biggest challenge that Idzik faces is to significantly upgrade the talent level on the Jets. Explain to me again how trading your best player accomplishes that? Stop this nonsense, please.
    The #2 pass D in the NFL did OK without Revis. If you trade him to upgrade even ONE position other than CB, the team talent has been updgraded.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    +1 BB would never sign Revis he traded Asante Samuel when he wanted more money.. I wouldn't be surprised if BB signed Mike Devito before camp though..
    He didn't pay Ty Law either.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

agree great post.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    He didn't pay Ty Law either.
    And jettisoned the team captain All Pro safety Lawyer Milloy right before the start of the 03 season..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    There was no point during this season that I thought, "Man, this D really needs Revis". And the stats bare it out. No. 2 Pass D. There were lots of times that I thought the D needed an OLB with speed and that the O was struggling because of poor line play, bad WR's, and no decent RB who can run, catch and pick up a blitz. Not to mention the worst QB play I've seen since Rick Mirer was in town.

Idzik was a Math major at Dartmouth. No way he thinks it's a good idea to pay 10% of your cap to a player you didn't need on the field to have the No 2 pass D, when $$ can better be spent to improve OLB, RB, OL, WR, and QB.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    There was no point during this season that I thought, "Man, this D really needs Revis". And the stats bare it out. No. 2 Pass D. There were lots of times that I thought the D needed an OLB with speed and that the O was struggling because of poor line play, bad WR's, and no decent RB who can run, catch and pick up a blitz. Not to mention the worst QB play I've seen since Rick Mirer was in town.

Idzik was a Math major at Dartmouth. No way he thinks it's a good idea to pay 10% of your cap to a player you didn't need on the field to have the No 2 pass D, when $$ can better be spent to improve OLB, RB, OL, WR, and QB.
    Well, I'd agree except assuming we lose both our starting safeties from last season(good possibility) and Revis goes, I'm fairly certain that No.2 rank against the pass will turn into No.22.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetman67 View Post
    IF he is able to play at the same level that he did before the ACL tear.
    True, the dude holds out every other year and may never play at the same level again. I wouldn't trade him though, coming off injury you won't get as much for him with all of the uncertainty.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    In what dreamland has (if he still is) the best CB won a Super Bowl?

Because outside of Charles Woodson, the past, what, 10+ Super Bowl winners have all had absolutely terrible secondaries.

I could see how people can logically argue that keeping Revis for 12 million a year would benefit this team more than signing Dwayne Bowe for the rest of his career CHEAPER.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by njherdfan View Post

How can you honestly say it doesn't matter how much you pay him. Of course is does. whether the cap moves or not paying a CB too much simply doesn't make all that much sense.

I see your point about a QB, we're not going to do a whole lot without a QB anyway. What if we hit on a later round QB (like Seattle or SF) wouldn't you want that 15mm to spend on offensive talent. Surround our new found prize with as much talent as possible.

People scream about lack of talent on the offense but want to pay two CB's $25 million dollars. You can't do that in this league.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    lets trade revis for draft picks and select guys like dwayne robertson,vernon gholston and kyle wilson.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    lets trade revis for draft picks and select guys like dwayne robertson,vernon gholston and kyle wilson.
    Let's keep Revis and be forced to keep guys like Clyde Gates, Chaz Schilens & Mardy Gilyard on offense.