Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: rex & 2013 ~ ~ ~

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Apparently the Jets are better than we thought

Rex Ryan doesn't know where this will end up, whether yesterday's stunning 30-27 overtime win over the Patriots will translate into an equally stunning playoff run. What the Jets' coach does know is that it won't surprise him at all if it happens.
    "Outside people have no idea about this group. I'm telling you, I know it's special," Ryan said a few minutes after Nick Folk's winning 42-yard field goal with 5:07 left in overtime. "How that means that we're gonna finish record-wise, I don't know. But I know we've got what it takes, in my opinion, to do something great."
    It is premature to pronounce Ryan's Jets ready for a playoff run, given that we're not even halfway through the regular season. But almost everyone outside the locker room predicted they would be one of the most wretched teams in the NFL. For them to be sitting at 4-3, one game out of the division lead, sure looks better than the alternative.
    WATCH: Jets vs. Patriots highlights
    At the very least, we all need to take this team seriously. Even if Ryan and his players aren't terribly surprised at how well they've done. In fact, they're not surprised at all.
    "We're certainly much better than what ," Ryan said. "I guess that's not hard. We were picked 32nd, but I think we're better than that."
    But better to the point of being a playoff contender? No one expected that, aside from the guys who actually control what happens on the field. They've believed all along.
    "[The win] gets us close to the playoffs," rookie defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson said. "That's what we're trying to do. Win the [AFC] East. That's the mission."
    And that means beating out the Patriots, who have won the division title every year since Ryan took over in 2009. "That's the team you chase," he said. "That's the team we've always chased. You're tired of looking up at them, but at the end of the day, they've earned that."
    But it doesn't stop Ryan from pursuing the white whale that is New England. He beat the Patriots in the playoffs after the 2010 season, but not until Sunday had he vanquished them again. In between were some of his more painful memories as Jets coach, including the previous time the Patriots visited MetLife Stadium.
    You remember that one last Thanksgiving night, the game that came to be defined by two excruciating, miserable words: butt fumble. It was the low moment of the Ryan era. The Patriots scored three touchdowns in a 52-second span, including one that came after Mark Sanchez ran into Brandon Moore's backside.
    Less than a year later at the same stadium, Ryan oversaw one of his proudest achievements with a team no one had expected to do much of anything this season. Except lose.
    He told his players before the game how delighted he was with their progress. The result only underscored that emotion.
    "I told them how proud I was of them," Ryan said. "It's a team that works their tails off. They're great teammates. With that, I know we're going to get better and we're not where we have to be. We're not even close. But you know what? We're just going to keep making strides, and who knows what happens at the end of the day."
    The message from Ryan's speech was simple. This is how Richardson took it: "We've got every opportunity to win the game. We feel like we're better than the Patriots. We're just going to have to go out there and prove it. And we did. That's how I interpreted it."
    A reporter asked Richardson if he thinks the Jets indeed are better than the Patriots. He stared at the questioner, paused a moment and replied, "Yeah."
    They certainly were better on this day. Rookie quarterback Geno Smith continued to show poise beyond his years, shaking off an early interception return for a touchdown and rallying the Jets. Smith threw for 233 yards and one touchdown and ran for another score. The Jets held Tom Brady to less than 50 percent completions for the second time this season, and Brady's third-quarter pick-6 to Antonio Allen was a huge momentum swing.
    There was a little luck in overtime, as the Patriots were penalized when Chris Jones was called for pushing a teammate into the Jets' offensive line on a missed 56-yard field-goal attempt. Folk then made his 42-yarder to win it, putting to rest some of the ghosts of past Patriots defeats.
    And also putting to rest any remaining questions about whether these Jets should be taken seriously.

> http://www.newsday.com/sports/column...ught-1.6290622

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let's make it 3 out of the last 4 at Cinncinnati this Sunday. The JETS are coming!!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets coach Rex Ryan: 'We fear nobody'

New York Jets coach Rex Ryan remains unafraid of any team in the NFL.

“I will say this, and I’ve said it before, we fear nobody,” Ryan said Monday, a day after his team’s thrilling 30-27 overtime victory over the hated New England Patriots at MetLife Stadium. “What that means Win-Loss wise I don’t know, but we literally fear nobody.”

Maybe he should.

After all, since advancing to back-to-back AFC Championship Games in 2009 and 2010, the Jets are just 18-21 under Ryan. And they’ve put together just one winning streak in their last 26 games -- back-to-back victories over lowly Arizona and Jacksonville Dec. 2 and Dec. 9 last season.

"I don’t know [why we haven’t been able to string together wins], but if anybody’s got any answers, I’d be willing to listen," Ryan said during a conference call.

“This will be our fourth shot at it this year, and the fact we’re playing Cincinnati doesn’t help matters. They’re playing about as well as anybody right now [they’ve won three straight and are 5-2], and it’s going to be a huge challenge playing in Cincinnati. But again, our mindset is going to be it’s all about this opponent. We’re going to focus like crazy with attention to detail on the practice field and in the class room and then head to Cincinnati and put our best out there, and that’s exactly what we’re going to do.

“You want to win on the road, you have to bring a good team with you, and that’s exactly what we’re going to do. We know it starts with us, we have to protect the football. We have to play good sound defense and obviously eliminate penalties.”

The Jets (4-3) have proved their doubters wrong so far, but they can’t afford to rest on their laurels. There is still work to be done.

It’s tough to gain any real respect when you’re incapable of putting together a simple winning streak.

“It’s extremely important [for us to string wins together],” rookie quarterback Geno Smith said. “Now’s the time for us to start developing that consistency that we’ve been talking about and continuing to stay the course. The better our effort on the practice field, the better we’ll be.”

So why hasn’t it happened yet?

“I think just a lack of detail,” guard Willie Colon said. “I think coming off wins we’re happy, we’re excited obviously. But I think we just have to have a little more focus in practice.”

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...we-fear-nobody

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    This says as much about the general state of things in sports around here as it does about the Jets, and maybe says more, but there is no question that the Jets are the big game in New York right now, even with a 4-3 record, even with two of their victories being gift-wrapped by referees at the end. And even without having managed to win two games in a row yet.

Maybe the Nets and Knicks change that across a pro basketball season that starts next week, with a rivalry that showed such possibilities last season before it seemed to come to a sudden stop because of one of the dumbest NBA regular-season schedules ever conceived.
    For now, though, with the Giants not having won a game until Monday night, with the Giants having proved in an unwatchable game against the Vikings that they are only the best of the worst teams in pro football, the Jets are again doing something they have been desperate to do since Rex Ryan hit town:

They are making the local pro football season be all about them and not the Giants. Making themselves a real story, at least so far, and not just a headline on one.
    Eli Manning and Giants finally win a game, beating the Vikings Monday night.

The coach of the team doesn’t look at it that way, as you might imagine, it seems he has finally become his own editor. So here is what Rex Ryan has to say about where his team is and where it is going:
    “We really don’t take any of that into account. We’re just trying to get better; make strides each week and prepare to the best of our ability. (We) hit the practice field with a purpose and do a great job in the classroom and on the practice field. And then when we get to the game, we just try to keep improving. I think that’s the biggest thing. That’s our focus.”

Fair enough, even if he does sound a bit like Belichick, his nemesis. There is still this tremendous chance all over the place, in New York and in Jersey and the AFC East, all the chance Rex’s team could have hoped for at the start of the season, when some people had them finishing fourth in the Ivy League.
    You saw what Rex’s Jets did last Sunday, saw them getting a game off the Patriots the way they did in overtime, even if they did get help from a rule only the rule wonks knew about before another last-second field goal from Nick Folk. Now the Jets are a game out of first place in the AFC East and can look around at the race for the second wild card in the AFC and see a field about as stellar as the one Bill de Blasio beat to get the Democratic nomination.
    Rex Ryan says his team is just trying to make strides each week.

Rex Ryan says his team is just trying to make strides each week.

There was this kind of opening for Rex when he first hit town in 2009, when the Giants ended up missing the playoffs and the Jets made a late-season run from 7-7 all the way to Indy and Peyton Manning and the AFC Championship Game.

Of course none of this means anything much if the Jets still can’t string some wins together, try to make it two wins in a row for the first time this season against the Bengals in Cincinnati. If they lose, then they’ve got the Saints coming into MetLife and then a road game against the Bills, and it requires only a little negative thinking to see them go right from 4-3 to 4-6.
    For now, people want to watch Rex’s Jets again, watch Geno, watch Mo Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson lead the charge on defense. It really is all right there for all of them if they can build on what they did against the Patriots, somehow find five wins in their last nine games, which would take them to 9-7. They might end up saving Rex’s job in the process. These days what they do is save the season in New York and Jersey.
    You know the people who run the Jets are fixed on the Giants as much as Rex is fixed on the Patriots; know they have been going up against the Giants at a time when the Giants are bigger than they have been since the ’50s and ’60s, when they were as popular and romantic a sports team as New York has ever known, even if those teams lost five NFL title games out of six and were nearly the Buffalo Bills of their time.
    Tom Coughlin's team is trailing behind Rex Ryan's Jets.

Tom Coughlin's team is trailing behind Rex Ryan's Jets.

The Jets have gone up against that, against two Super Bowls that stand with any championships any New York sports team has ever won, against the class of the other team at MetLife Stadium. Only now Eli and Coughlin and the Giants have fallen hard. And a door has swung wide open for the Jets in the process.
    You always have to point something out: A 4-3 record through seven games proves nothing lasting about your team, does not guarantee you a big game in December for one minute, doesn’t even win door prizes. It was another Ryan — Matt — who told me going into the Jets-Falcons game, “As far as I know, not a single trophy has ever been handed out in September and October.”
    The Jets know. Have to know. And have to know enough not to go into a victory dance because they finally figured out a way to get a game off Belichick and Brady again in the middle of October.
    It doesn’t change that right here and right now this is all the chance they could have wanted, all the season they could have wanted. Now they have to do something about that. The Giants needed one lousy win the other night? The Jets need to win two games in a row.

> http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...#ixzz2iYOtQ9ET

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    -- Jets owner Woody Johnson and Giants co-owner Jonathan Tisch were asked about their respective coaches' job status Thursday during a panel to promote Super Bowl XLVIII, and both expressed confidence in their picks.

After a discussion of the logistics behind the first cold-weather NFL title game, Johnson was asked, "How does Rex Ryan keep his job?"

"I have the utmost confidence in Rex," Johnson said. "We don't talk about long term, short term, any of that, during the season. He's a great teacher, he's a very good leader and I'm happy with Rex."

Ryan, who has his team off to a surprising 4-3 start, will have a year remaining on his contract after the 2013 season. Generally, coaches are extended before heading into lame-duck seasons.

"That's the way it is for anybody. Nobody talks about contracts," Ryan said later Thursday, responding to Johnson's comments. "I like the fact that my boss said some nice things about me. That's pretty cool. As far as anything else, I said it before: It's not about me. ...

"Right now, it means nothing other than the fact that I'm happy he had some nice comments. As far as my situation, my situation is the Cincinnati Bengals. That's where my attention is."

Tisch was then asked about the 1-6 Giants, and he seized the opportunity to throw his support behind coach Tom Coughlin.

"As Woody expressed confidence in his coach, we certainly feel the same way about Tom Coughlin," Tisch said. "He is one of the finest leaders in the NFL. We have two trophies in the lobby of our Quest Diagnostics Center, which attest to his leadership ability."

Those wins have insulated Coughlin from some of the calls to fire a coach that usually come for a coach who is in the midst of a losing season. Tisch's comments left little doubt that Coughlin has the support of the ownership group.

"There is nothing wrong with the Giants that a few W's won't fix," Tisch said.

Tisch said no one wants to turn the season around more than the players themselves.

"Sports is a metaphor for life, sometimes things don't go the way you want them to," Tisch said. "But we know we have very good players who come to practice every single day, work their rear ends off, and they want to win as much as the fans want them to win."

> http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...fident-coaches

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    First off, a little breezy out there, but I think it’s good, you get a chance to work in the elements and all that, you certainly don’t know what it’s going to be like. But it was a little cooler than anticipated. It’s good anyway. We did a lot of work into the wind in particular, unless it was a two-minute situation against the defense, so we flipped it the other way [joking, laughter]. I always do that.

It was some good work today. We’re not there. We’re not hitting on everything yet. So it’s not a concern, it’s just that we know we have to get sharper, we know we have to get better and tomorrow needs to be that way. Mentally, I think we’re pretty good, but it’s the just the execution of some things. Again, the weather can’t be an excuse for it, so we have to do better tomorrow.

Guys that were out: Santonio Holmes is the only one who did not practice today. The other guys who were limited: Antonio Allen, groin and finger, Jeff Cumberland, hamstring, Jeremy Kerley, hamstring, Nick Mangold, ribs, Konrad Reuland with a knee, and then Greg Salas with a knee. That was it. Those guys, they participated. How limited? I guess they’re limited. That’s the official stance.

On if the Kerley injury is new…

Yes, it wasn’t there yesterday. It’s a new injury. It’s just a hamstring. It’s not that it kept him out of everything. It’s just more precautionary than anything else.

On the Bengals strong defensive line…

First off, it’s going to be a huge challenge because you’re right, this defensive line, it’s outstanding, it really is. The [Carlos] Dunlap kid, I really wasn’t that familiar with him. I was out of college, but man, he’s really playing well as the left end. Of course, the [Geno] Atkins kid is becoming a household name having 12.5 sacks last year, a Pro Bowl guy. And he earns that reputation, he really plays hard. Then Michael Johnson, the big, huge guy they franchised last year. Then they have [Domata] Peko, the kid with the hair. He’s a good player, so it’s not just the hair, but I like how he plays. He’s always played hard. It’s a tough group and they have some guys behind them that play well, too. The [Wallace] Gilberry guy can rush the passer. It’s a big solid group and they play hard.

On what he means when he says the team needs to be sharper in practice…

We dropped some balls. Just things like that. The execution wasn’t where we wanted it to be.

On if the cold weather contributed to the drops…

I’m not making excuses. We have to catch the ball anyway, but there were too many drops for us and we’ve been getting away from it. Our guys work extremely hard. They hit the JUGS after every practice. Obviously, we have to catch the football.

On if Cromartie gave up few catches against New England because he played well or because the Patriots were looking to throw elsewhere…

I think that would depend on who you ask. He played an outstanding game. He had an outstanding game, used his hands at the line of scrimmage more. Eighty-five [Kenbrell Thompkins] is a decent receiver they have there and I think Cro did an excellent job on him.

On Woody Johnson’s comments about his future today…

That’s the way it is for anybody. Nobody talks about contracts or whatever. But like I said before, I like the fact my boss said some nice things about me, that’s pretty cool [laughter]. As far as anything else, I said it I said it before and you guys get tired of me saying it, it’s not about me. Right now, it means nothing other than the fact I’m happy that he had some nice comments to say, but as far as my situation, my situation is the Cincinnati Bengals and that’s where my attention is.

On Josh Cribbs…

With him, I’ve seen him in action up close and personal, just the kind of the player he is, what kind of talent he has. I’m not so sure anybody really knew where he was at because he hadn’t been playing. So we got him out here and he looked pretty dynamic, especially as a punt returner. So we’ll get him out. We’ll see if he can do a little more for us. Do we implement more in the offense? We’ll see. But certainly, I love his attitude, I love the mentality and he has that track record of being a difference maker.

On if Atkins lines up over both guard spots…

Yes.

On how big of a challenge Atkins will be for Brian Winters…

Ooohf, it’s about as big a challenge as it gets. Very few [are similar challenges] — the [J.J.] Watt kid from Houston, you line up on the practice field and see that challenge with Big Mo [Muhammad Wilkerson], but this kid’s an outstanding player.

On Gio Bernard…

Super quick, kind of like that Darren Sproles type. He had like a 24-yard touchdown, in the red zone, things like that, ran vertical, check the ball down to him and makes a great run, so he has that kind of talent. He’s real shifty, change-of-direction-type guy, seems to catch the ball well out of the backfield. He’s a multi-talented kid.

On the combination of BenJarvus Green-Ellis and Bernard…

I think Green-Ellis and add everything else on there, that’s an excellent back. He’s an excellent back in his own right. The rookie [Bernard] is more of a receiving threat, a guy like that out of the backfield. They will run the ball with him on early downs, but that’s more Green-Ellis’ territory.

On if they have seen backs yet like they will with Bernard and Sproles the next two weeks…

We saw Reggie Bush in Detroit, I guess [in the preseason]. You go back to that. That’s probably accurate.

On Coach Lewis saying it did a lot for Andy Dalton to beat Ben Roethlisberger, Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady consecutively and if it did something similar for Geno Smith when he beat the Patriots…

I don’t know, if he would’ve beaten Ben Roethlisberger, Tom Brady twice, maybe so [laughter], but no, we’ll see. He’s just Geno out there.

On if the win against Brady and New England will help Smith’s confidence…

He’s always had it. He’s always been a confident guy. It’s not that it’s new to him that he’s confident. I think that’s his makeup.

On if he’ll put Milliner on Tyler Eifert like Alabama did in the BCS National Championship…

They’ll probably put him on him because they do a lot of that. We call it a Detroit formation where they flex the tight end out and put three receivers away from him. But yeah, that’s something that they do on offense. Again, that’s certainly a possibility.

On if he saw something out of Quinton Coples he had not seen since his injury…

Yeah, he sacked the quarterback [joking, laughter]. He only had the one sack, I think. We’re used to him being a little more productive stat-wise that way. He played a lot more than he had. I think probably about 75 snaps or something like that, and that’s probably a little much, quite honestly. It was good to see him get that sack and over a pretty good tackle in [Nate] Solder.

On his relationship with Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis…

We’re enemies [joking, laughter]. At least we will be Sunday. But he’s a great guy. He’s a heck of a football coach. I learned a lot from him being under him. The thing that I always liked, I always felt that yeah, I was under Marvin, but I never felt that way. I felt that I worked with him. He made all of his coaches that worked under him feel that way. And that might be one of the reasons I am the way I am. Because I saw the way he led and that was something that "It’s not about me." He made it feel, obviously his role was much greater than the rest of ours, but he made you really feel like part of it. We really were a team and that was something I always appreciated from him. But he’s a great coach in his own right. There are a lot of things that I took for him and as you move forward, you just incorporate what you learned and you make it yours.

On his evaluation of Lewis on “Hard Knocks”…

I haven’t seen it. I probably cussed too much [joking, laughter].

On what he learned about Chris Ivory last week…

This is a guy that we knew we had. When you watched him on tape in New Orleans, you saw that. You saw games like this that he just took it — "Man, does he run hard." That’s the first thing that jumps out at you is how hard he runs with the football. The thing that I didn’t really know was his pass-protection. I think he’s a much better blitz pickup. He really attacks guys. That was fun to watch. He would cut some guys, too. He would take them up high and sometimes cut them. I think he’s doing a great job in his pass protection and I think part of that you can probably attribute to Anthony Lynn. I think he does a great job of coaching those backs and for my money, he’s as good as it gets.

On if anyone runs harder than Ivory…

Maybe Snacks [Damon Harrison] or Kenrick Ellis or somebody, but I don’t think so. He runs pretty hard.

On if Harrison and Ellis run harder to the cafeteria…

Absolutely, I thought that’s what you meant [joking, laughter]. But no, he is, he’s a hard runner.

On how optimistic he is about Holmes’ chances of playing on Sunday…

Not optimistic today, he never practiced. We’ll see what it looks like. Again, lean on the trainers and the doctors for that.

On if he feels good about Cumberland’s chances of playing on Sunday…

Yes

On Kerley’s ability to make plays in key situations…

It’s huge. I think going into it that was something that Marty [Mornhinweg] had talked about and we featured all through the week at practice. Whoof! Kerley was a huge part of what we were going to do offensively and made a lot of great plays. He made the plays during practice and when we got to the game it was no different. We’ve seen games like that from him before, so it’s really no surprise, but he’s certainly a weapon for us.

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...b-d456fa54ab1c

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Matchup of the Game: Hard Drive vs. Rex

Kyle Cook, the hard drive of the Bengals offensive line, got a game ball from the coaches two weeks ago in Buffalo for recognizing the complexities of the Bills' countless pre-snap looks and it is even more of the same Sunday against the Jets at Paul Brown Stadium.

BENGALS C KYLE COOK VS JETS HC REX RYAN

Cook, the hard drive of the Bengals offensive line, got a game ball from the coaches two weeks ago in Buffalo for recognizing the complexities of the Bills' countless pre-snap looks and it is even more of the same Sunday (4:05 p.m.-Cincinnati's Channel 12) against the Jets at Paul Brown Stadium.

But better.

The Bills are good, but they're not as sophisticated or as talented as the Jets. Buffalo defensive coordinator Mike Pettine, a Ryan disciple, doesn't have the young, athletic defensive line his mentor has in New York. And he only had four games in the system when Cook got him while Ryan has had five seasons to tinker and cultivate the Jets into the NFL's fourth-best defense.

But then, Cook has been starting as long as Ryan has been the Jets head coach and before that he had two seasons preparing for Ryan's schemes when Ryan was the defensive coordinator in Baltimore. And while Ryan is known for coming up with a new blitz look every game, it's not exactly a state secret because the fundamentals of what he's doing dates back to what his father Buddy Ryan did with the Bears 30 years ago."Cook has seen it all; he's been around," says left guard Clint Boling, who is suddenly getting some gray as a third-year player. "He's seen all kinds of football. Rex football. We've played the Ravens a bunch. I'm not worried too much about him."

Good coaches always leave their mark, so when Ryan left Baltimore after the 2008 season, Cook says the Ravens were still using many of Ryan's principles. Plus, Cook has played the Ryan Jets three times and in 2009 running back Cedric Benson set the Bengals single-game postseason rushing record against New York.

But Benson didn't do it against this front that is anchored by third-year Pro Bowl candidate Muhammad Wilkerson at end and first-round pick Sheldon Richardson at tackle.

"It's the most complicated scheme in the league," says offensive line coach Paul Alexander. "Their team is good for three reasons. Their scheme is exceptional. Their players are very good. And they play hard. (Ryan) breaks conventional rules in a lot of ways."

As Boling says, "We'll get all four of those guys at some point in the game because they move around so much. You have to study all their moves." It is the job of Cook as well as quarterback Andy Dalton to communicate what they see to the rest of the offense.

"The No. 1 trait for a center in a game against a Rex Ryan defense is experience and being a quick thinker," says an NFL scout, "because Rex will give you unorthodox looks where he will try to overload a protection to one side and get a free rusher. The ability of the center and quarterback working together to reassign people at the line of scrimmage as the play clock (winds down) is imperative."

Cook is the ultimate coach on the field, a 30-year-old no-nonsense Michigan native who gutted out getting his legs back underneath him early in the season after an ankle injury took him out of most of last year. Alexander, in his 19th season coaching the Bengals line, counts on Cook as his eyes and ears on the field and refers to him as a trench genius.

"If you measured his football IQ it would be 160; he played unbelievable against Buffalo," Alexander says. "He has a knack. It's an analytical thing for him. It's a special talent."

Here's how Alexander outlines Cook's challenge against Ryan: "He has all kinds of rules based on the different defensive structures and he has to recognize the multiple structures and follow the rules exactly. It's very logical. He just has to execute it at the right time."

Cook, who can often be seen at his locker playing word games on his ever-present iPad or sparking some kind of debate, likes to think outside the box. He missed his calling as an online editor. He sees the mind as a major part of the matter of football.

"I call myself a center. It's my job description to get everyone on the same page," Cook says. "You have to make sure no matter who is making the call, whether it's the quarterback or center or tackle, it doesn't matter who. We all have to be on that page because there are a lot of different defenses and one guy can think it looks one way, but from a different point of view it's something else, so you have to make sure everyone sees the same thing."

Sure signs of Cook's prowess come from the joking. Boling needles him about how it's the quarterback that makes the calls and when offensive line assistant coach Kyle Caskey proctors the Saturday night quiz he gets on Cook whenever he's not the one to find the mistakes.

Seriously, Cook and Dalton have teamed into a pretty resourceful pair with Dalton getting more and more leeway to change things at the line of scrimmage.

"I was with Andy mainly when he was a rookie because I didn’t play very much last year and he's come leaps and bounds," Cook says.

The offensive line is coming off its best game of the season with Cook coordinating an excellent effort inside with Boling and right guard Kevin Zeitler that shut off the estimable Lions inside rush. Quarterbacks coach Ken Zampese was still raving about the space Dalton had in the pocket last Sunday when he came off the practice field Wednesday.

"One of the advantages of a guy like Kyle Cook for the Bengals is that he's seen it all and he's really good at sorting through multiple looks. He's a bright guy that communicates well," the NFL scout says. "The Jets three young players inside are really good. The rookie is having a good year, Wilkerson is a budding star and the nose tackle (Damon Harrison) is a handful for a defense. This is one of the better defensive lines in the league."

But the Bengals have Cook's 160 in the middle of it all. And he'll be at home instead of on the road, where he said Buffalo was a lot louder than Detroit.

"It will be easier to pass off calls," he says.

> http://www.bengals.com/news/article-...5-664f149e61f4

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. Rex & Co.: One of the most overlooked aspects of the Jets' surprising 4-3 record is how Rex Ryan has managed to galvanize a rebuilt coaching staff. Remember, Ryan parted ways with all three coordinators after last season -- OC Tony Sparano (fired), DC Mike Pettine (contract expired) and STC Mike Westhoff (retired). Ryan also lost assistant head coach/linebackers Bob Sutton, among others. At the time, it looked like passengers jumping from a sinking ship. Ryan filled some spots by promoting from within, but he had to go outside the organization to hire eight coaches, some of whom accepted one-year contracts. That's a lot of upheaval under a head coach with little security.Despite having to employ a trio of new coordinators, Rex Ryan has the Jets contending in the AFC East."I thought the staff situation, more than anything else, was going to get him [fired]," a longtime personnel executive said of Ryan, speaking on the condition of anonymity. "I mean, who wanted to go to the Jets? Only coaches without any other job offers. To me, that part has been amazing, how he has coordinated the new staff. If you asked me a few months ago, I would've said, 'No way, no how.'"The personnel executive praised Ryan, saying he'd be a Coach of the Year candidate if it weren't for the Kansas City Chiefs' Andy Reid. "I knew you'd see the best of Rex," the executive said. "I knew he'd coach his ass off, whether he was interviewing for the Jets' job or his next job. He's more focused. It's the old saying: No man sees life clearer than a dying man."

2. Sour grapes from beneath the hoodie: The Jets didn't appreciate Bill Belichick's reaction to the "push" controversy, as he falsely accused them of the same illegal tactic on field goals. No one likes to be called a cheater (Belichick should know that), but I also think the Jets were chafed by how he handled the entire situation. At no point in his Sunday, Monday or Tuesday news conferences did Belichick say anything complimentary toward the Jets, who outplayed the New England Patriots; it was all about what his team didn't do. Hey, look, it's a grown-man game, and the winners aren't entitled to a pat on the back from the opposition. But Belichick tried to drag the Jets into the mud with him, and that was uncalled for. Great coach, terrible loser.

3. A push for safety: Westhoff, who coached special teams for three decades, said he blocked "a lot of kicks" using the two-player, pushing technique, which was banned this season. Despite his success with it, Westhoff was a proponent of the rule change because he saw the other side of it, the physical wear and tear it exacted on the blockers. He said the now-retired Brandon Moore, who played guard on the field goal unit, always remarked that his chronic hip pain could be attributed, in part, to having to block defenders that were pushed from behind. Said Westhoff: "Imagine the force that generates."

4. Pirate ship be sinking: The more the Tampa Bay Buccaneers lose, the better it is for the Jets, who received the Bucs' third-round pick (2014) as part of the Darrelle Revis trade. There's a big difference between the 65th pick (worst record) and, say, the 85th pick (a wild-card team). The Bucs are 0-7, looking like they've quit on Greg Schiano. Money can't buy happiness, right Darrelle?

5. Running for a record: Geno Smith already has run for 146 yards, putting him on pace to break the team record (post-1970) for rushing yards in a season by a quarterback. Richard Todd ran for 330 in 1980. But let's be honest: There have been some glacially slow quarterbacks for the Jets -- Ken O'Brien, Boomer Esiason, Vinny Testaverde, Chad Pennington, etc. Mark Sanchez had some mobility, but he never eclipsed 106 yards.

6. Revisiting draft day: The Jets were second-guessed in some circles for passing on former Notre Dame TE Tyler Eifert with the 13th overall pick. After picking CB Dee Milliner with the ninth pick, they certainly could've used a playmaker on offense. Eifert is off to a good start (22 receptions for 270 yards and one touchdown), but it's hard to second-guess the Jets' choice -- DT Sheldon Richardson, a possible candidate for NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year.

7. Revisiting draft day, part II: On Sunday, the Jets will cross paths with one of their worst draft decisions ever -- PK Mike Nugent. He has carved a nice career for himself with the Cincinnati Bengals, but that's not the point. In 2005, the Jets picked him in the second round, 47th overall -- a kicker! GM Terry Bradway thought the Jets were only a kicker away from being a championship-caliber team. Talk about a bad miss. Want to know some of the players they passed? Try WR Vincent Jackson, RB Frank Gore and DE Justin Tuck, all of whom were chosen within 30 picks after Nugent.

8. The kids are all right: Whenever Ryan faces the Bengals, he usually has a rookie at quarterback -- and he usually wins. In 2008, the Baltimore Ravens beat them twice with Joe Flacco. (Ryan was the defensive coordinator.) In 2009, the Ryan-coached Jets beat them twice with Sanchez, including the AFC wild-card game. (By the way, the Jets also beat them in 2010.) This time, it's the Rex & Geno show.

9. The old coach returns. Joe Walton was fired by the Jets in 1989 amid chants of "Joe Must Go!" On Saturday, he returned to New York on his farewell tour. Walton, 77, who is retiring after 20 years as the head coach at Robert Morris, was on Staten Island to face Wagner College, which acknowledged his retirement before the game. It ended badly in New York for Walton, but it has been a remarkable football life. Of all the coaches I've covered, he's the only one who showed up to the news conference the day he got fired.

10. Mother knows best: NT Damon Harrison has the best nickname on the team -- "Big Snacks," courtesy of defensive line coach Karl Dunbar. It's an obvious reference to Harrison's prodigious appetite. The nickname is so catchy that his mother, who used to call him "Heavy D," has jumped on the "Big Snacks" bandwagon.

"At first, I thought [the nickname] was something that would just hang around here," Harrison said. "I guess not."

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...ercome-rexodus

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    REX: It's About Alignment, Assignment, Technique

Transcript of head coach Rex Ryan's news conference Monday afternoon at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center:

Obviously, you guys saw the game. I decided today that we handed out all the grade sheets to the players and they’re going to watch the tape on their own, but for us to sit in there and go over it again when we know exactly what happened, I thought it would be more beneficial just to move on to New Orleans, get a start on them, and that’s exactly what we did. Anybody that was on the sideline or played in that game knows what happened. We got our butts kicked and there’s no two ways about it, that’s exactly what happened, all phases of the game.

Clearly, they got a huge lead on us. It kind of takes you out of what your original plan was offensively. We weren’t getting off the field on third down. We weren’t pressuring the quarterback. We tried every coverage known to man. We just played poorly. Obviously, that’s a good football team there. As we said last night, they clearly deserved that game.

On if he has had the team not watch film collectively before…

Yeah, there was one other time that I think is pretty obvious. I never buried the football this time, but that was an obvious one. We’re a much better team than that. We know we’re a better team than that. But again, what happened happened, but you’re better off, just, we better move forward. That’s why I did what I did.

On coming off big wins and tough losses…

Every year is different. Your focus better be on New Orleans. This team is 7-1, I believe what their record is [was corrected that New Orleans’ record is 6-1)], 6-1, oh shoot, that’s not foreshadowing [joking]. Man, but 6-1, whatever they are, that’s a pretty good football team, so obviously we have our work cut out for us. We have to improve in a hurry in a lot of areas, and the challenge, if we don’t play better pass defense than we did this past week, [Drew Brees] will throw for 700 yards. Clearly, we have to improve in that area, just as one example of how we have to get better.

On where they can start in their preparation for the week…

It starts, obviously, with your preparation as far as knowing the team you’re up against and all that. But it’s more than that. It’s about your fundamentals and your technique. Even right down to the alignment, assignment and technique, that’s where it starts. If you’re not lined up right, if your fundamentals are poor, your technique is poor, you’re not going to be successful against good players. Clearly, that was the case this past week, yesterday, and New Orleans is one that will flat out embarrass you if you don’t do those things, so that’s where it starts.

On the offense giving him confidence that they can score touchdowns…

We’ve also lit it up on a few teams this year. That was kind of a game, it just got away from us so early that the Bengals are a type of team where if you fall behind like that, it’s going to be tough. They pin their ears back and they come after you. It’s obviously not the blueprint you want against that team. But I have all the confidence in the world that our offense will rebound from this. We’ll be challenged. It’s a different kind of challenge from New Orleans, very multiple on defense. We’re going to certainly be tested that way. They’re outstanding at rushing the passer, they’re third in the league I think in sacks and I think sixth in the league, or vice versa, in creating turnovers, getting the interceptions. It’s a huge challenge for us.

On what the defensive backs were doing wrong regarding their technique…

Well, we got beat on so many, it depends on what your coverage is. Sometimes, you’re supposed to get your hands on a guy, reroute a guy. Sometimes, you’re playing over the top with inside leverage. There are different things involved in it. But clearly, we weren’t up to par.

On how he wants the players to deal with the loss…

Every guy is different. It stings, it certainly didn’t go anywhere close to the way we thought it would. We got outplayed in every area, every facet of the game. It’s one loss, as bad as it was, it was one loss. Thank goodness that it’s only one loss. Certainly, we got beat bad enough it could have counted for two, but that’s not the case.

On the next step for Dee Milliner…

He’s got to go get back and start working. That’s the only way you get better. You have to work. He’s a prideful guy, they all are. It’s got to get better, and it should get better. It has to get better. [New Orleans] is probably not the opponent you want to get better against, but we have to. If we go out, and we do our assignments and we play with our technique and our passion and things, we’ll be ok.

On if he would have liked to see Geno Smith do anything better early in the game that could have kept it closer…

You don’t want to say, “Well, if he recognized a blitz quicker or something, the game might’ve turned out differently.” I don’t think so. I think the game was going to turn out how it turned out, the way we were playing collectively as a team. There are a few things like that that he could’ve been a little sharper at.

On if he noticed Nelson playing dirty…

I thought he was playing hard. Like, yeah, I mean he was blocking like crazy and I think that’s probably what, maybe Pacman [Adam Jones] took offense to that. But he was competing his butt off out there and I was impressed with him. I never thought it was a clip, the one that he got flagged on. I’m like, man he got his head across him and everything else. I thought it was a clean shot, but it was flagged. But I thought he had his head in front of him.

On if Dee Milliner’s injuries during rookie camp and minicamp is contributing to his mistakes…

If you’re going to make those mistake, and coming into this league and all of that stuff, you would’ve loved if he would’ve been there for the minicamps and training camps and all that, but the case here, the fact is, he wasn’t. So he has to do it now. You know what, he’s had his moments. He’s played well at times and then he’s had some other ones when, quite honestly, he’s played like a rookie. I’m expecting this young man to bounce back.

On Geno Smith bouncing back…

Same thing.

On the win one, lose one trend of the team and Smith’s resiliency…

I hope the trend continues. One win, lose one, I hope it continues this week and then we’ll figure it out. But he has been resilient. I think our team has, that way. I think we’ve bounced back and obviously we’re going against an opponent that’s 6-1. So it’s not going to be easy.

On Jeff Cumberland getting injured…

Yeah, he didn’t finish the game. I think we’ll have updates on all guys on Wednesday for you.

On the play where Matt Simms went airborne on fourth down…

Yeah, the one thing that you’re impressed with, I was impressed with, is his competiveness was off the chart. For him to make that, I even told the official, “Just give him the thing.” The kid earned it. Like, “Matt we’re down by X amount of points here, don’t put yourself in harm’s way,” clearly. The fact that he took the [hit]. No, he was going to go for it, man, and it kind of tells you about the kid. That’s the way he plays. He’s an impressive young man.

On how Rob Ryan has done this season as New Orleans’ defensive coordinator…

I think the two guys, in my opinion, that are doing the best job in this league are Bob Sutton in Kansas City and then my brother in New Orleans. I don’t even think it’s close because you took a team that’s historically bad, the most yardage in the history of the National Football League, and now I think they’re almost a top-ten defense yardage-wise. They’re fourth in scoring, and with the same players and even some players are out. But he’s done a phenomenal job, he really has. Shoot, he clearly, in my opinion, him and Bob, have just been exceptional.

On knowing how he will approach the game against his brother…

I know my brother well, so if there’s any insight or whatever, I’ll certainly be there to give it. But again, when you look at the job he’s done and things like that, they’re so multiple in what they do that it’s a challenge now. There is no doubt. It’s going to be a big challenge. They’re always one of the best red zone teams in the league. That’s a trademark of my brother’s. He’s doing a great job and the fact that you’ve got Sean Payton calling offense on the other side, that’s a pretty good combination.

On where the Jets stack up to the rest of the league…

I have no idea. Really, I have no idea where we stack up. I just know that it’s pretty obvious that we have to get like a gazillion times better. That’s pretty obvious after last night. But the thing that I’m encouraged with is I believe that we have the group that feels the same way, that we want to get better and we’re going to work that way and do whatever we can to get better. I know we will and that’s the encouraging thing from my standpoint.

On if he can tell when it’s going to be a long day…

Well, it certainly started off as a long day and you’re sitting back going, “We’ve got to fix it. We’ve got to do something.” And we tried a lot of different things, a lot of different combinations, all that stuff. It just snowballed. We couldn’t stop a nosebleed. That’s kind of how it felt. And I’ve been there. I’ve been there before on some of those days and all you can do is just keep hanging in there and fighting your tails off and hopefully momentum comes your way. But there’s been a couple of games that it’s happened. My dad always used to have a line, and it’s true, it’s the unfortunate truth. He goes, “You stay in it long enough, it’ll happen to you again.” It’s a sobering thought because certainly that wasn’t a pleasant experience. It’s just sometimes there are days like that and you try everything and it just doesn’t seem to go your way. But it doesn’t mean you stop competing, because you compete like crazy and you’re trying to search for it, and usually you can stop the bleeding, but it just seemed like that day it was tough. We needed a tourniquet and we couldn’t find one.

On if he did anything differently last night to prepare for the Saints…

No. I did what I always do. I watched all the tape and then it’s just now I moved into starting to look at New Orleans. I’ve seen three of their games so far. I’ve started to really get into what they’re doing. I’ve already started that.

On the NFL saying that the Jets should’ve been called for a push penalty against New England…
    Yeah, I’ve just moved past that. All we continue to do is do whatever we can to play within the confinements of the rules and that’s how we play.

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...3-a768266ff87d

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex Ryan doing excellent job with NY Jets, shouldn't apologize for good fortune

Sure the Jets have a couple of lucky wins over Tampa Bay and Nee England, but getting the bounces plays in to any season in any sport.

A 40-point blowout against the Bengals notwithstanding, Rex Ryan is having an excellent season pulling the strings for Gang Green.

Rex Ryan despises mediocrity and loathes the suggestion that somehow a middle-of-the-road first half in this watershed season should be deemed a success.

He won’t stand for it, won’t feel warm and fuzzy on the inside and certainly won’t take any curtain calls for being average.

Ryan’s exceedingly high expectations, however, shouldn’t cloud the truth about a 4-4 team that has exceeded all objective expectations at the midpoint of the season. The Jets’ coaching staff has done an admirable job making chicken salad out of well, you know.

“I have no idea where we stack up,” Ryan said Monday. “It’s pretty obvious that we have to get like a zillion times better.”

The Jets’ noncompetitive effort in a 49-9 loss to the Bengals on Sunday was an aberration for a coach who has squeezed just about every drop of the talent out of his roster.

Ryan, reformed, refined and rejuvenated at the start of his own personal season on the brink, has been the architect of the league’s top run defense and sixth-ranked total defense.

It’s tantalizing to overreact after an embarrassing loss littered with breakdowns, but there’s nobody other than the employees at One Jets Drive in Florham Park who would have believed that Ryan’s team would be .500 and in the wild-card hunt after eight games.

The Jets unquestionably benefited from a pair of fortuitous flags (see: Lavonte David and PushGate), but they shouldn’t apologize for their good fortune. The standings don’t make distinctions between a “good 4-4” and a “lucky 4-4.”

“We want to get better and we’re going to work that way and do whatever we can,” Ryan said. “I know we will. That’s the encouraging thing from my standpoint.”

Ryan, of course, is coaching for his future with the team that gave him his first chance to be a head coach four years ago.

Ryan certainly doesn't consider 4-4 a success in the first half, but with the expectations coming into this season, maybe he should.

Does he need to win seven, eight, nine or more to save his job? Does he have to end the Jets’ two-year playoff drought?

Only Woody Johnson, who has been Ryan’s most ardent supporter through an entertaining — and sometimes surreal — ride, knows.

And he ain’t telling a soul what it will take.

The truth is that Johnson probably doesn’t even have a hard and fast check list, either. The Jets’ see-saw first half — they’ve alternated wins and losses from the get-go — has likely been as maddening for the owner as it has been for the pundits dissecting his enigmatic team.

Ryan would have every reason to complain after new general manager John Idzik traded away the team’s most talented and indispensable player in the offseason. The notion that the Jets somehow didn’t miss Darrelle Revis, one of the NFL’s top-5 defensive players, has been one of the more laughable propaganda pieces floating around this season. The false narrative that somehow Revis’ $16 million cap number would cripple the Jets, who won’t have to dole out big money for their starting quarterback for at least three years, is just as comical.

Instead, Ryan is dealing with Idzik’s first-round rookie cornerback Dee Milliner, who would have been shipped to NFL Europe by now if it still existed. The No. 9 overall pick resembles a latter-day Elvis Patterson, a walking toaster, through the first two months of his career.

Ryan has kept his mouth shut and kept the train rolling with a rookie quarterback and a dearth of offensive talent. Offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg and quarterbacks coach David Lee have accelerated Geno Smith’s development, but there are still miles to go before they sleep.

Ryan, Mornhinweg and Lee each deserve a B for their work in the first half of the season. Smith gets a passing grade as a rookie. Idzik, who has whiffed on getting offensive playmakers, has earned a C-minus.

It’s halftime of the biggest game of Ryan’s coaching life. It’s a tie score. His team still has a chance.

He’ll take it

> http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...#ixzz2jCdYwrP4

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    -- In a league that has become far too staid and corporate, Rex and Rob Ryan are refreshingly bombastic iconoclasts, relics of a bygone era when the NFL was home to colorful coaching characters like Jerry Glanville, Bum Phillips and their father, the cantankerous Buddy Ryan.

Rex, the brash head coach of the New York Jets, and Rob, the ever-confident defensive coordinator for the New Orleans Saints, are unquestionably the most entertaining coaches in the league.

If the "Book of Manning" is the bestseller you keep on your coffee table to impress visitors, a "Book of Ryan" would be the dog-eared paperback you keep on the nightstand and read cover to cover.

"The Harbaughs (San Francisco's Jim and Baltimore's John) get all that thunder, but there are three of us in the National Football League and they only have two of them as far as I know," Rob said Friday. "I think it is just we have a great father. I think a lot of people grow up idolizing their father, and Rex and I are no exception."

Bragging rights will be on the line when the Rex's Jets and Rob's Saints square off Sunday at MetLife Stadium. This will mark the 10th matchup between the twins, their fifth in the NFL. Rex's teams have defeated Rob's in each of their previous four meetings in the league.

Regardless of the outcome, the postgame press conference is certain to be entertaining. It usually is when a Ryan is involved.

When they met three years ago, Rob wore a large weightlifting belt at the podium to make light of Rex's recent lap-band surgery. Rex, not to be outdone, has employed a pillow under his shirt and long locks to mimic Rob.

Rex conducted his weekly press briefing on Wednesday behind an unflattering photo of Rob taken just after the Saints' heartbreaking loss to the New England Patriots three weeks ago.

"Well, I mean he has a 4-4 team," Rob said. "He is working hard. He is trying to deflect a little heat, and obviously I will be the bigger man and walk away. ...

"We have no pictures."

The Ryan boys have been raising hell seemingly since they were old enough to talk trash, said their older brother, Jim, an attorney in St. Louis.

Jim, who played hockey briefly at the University of Minnesota and worked a short stint in the NHL office, took after their mother, Doris, an educator. He received an MBA from Notre Dame and became an attorney.

Rex and Rob were more like their father, Buddy, the architect of the famed 46 defense and defensive mastermind of the Chicago Bears and Philadelphia Eagles in the 1980s and '90s and later head coach of the Arizona Cardinals.

"Rex and Rob are really close, even for twins," said Jim. "Both are great coaches, dedicated and loyal as can be. Rex is probably more politically correct. Rob is the swashbuckler. He's just there to board your ship and take everything."

There was the time Rob nearly got run over by a car after Jim pushed over a snowbank and into oncoming traffic while playing backyard football at their mother's home in Toronto.

In high school, the brothers played multiple sports and sometimes took tests for each other to beat the system.

In college, they shared a car and a wallet, the temporary owner being the one who had a date that night.

There was the infamous brawl between Rex and Rob as students at Southwestern Oklahoma State before Buddy's appearance in Super Bowl XX in New Orleans with the Bears. Rob broke his nose and ankle in the melee and hobbled around the French Quarter that week in a cast as his cash-strapped brothers refused to pony up for cab fare.

"Rob tried to tell our stepmother that he fell down some stairs," said Jim. "My dad was like, 'Yeah, right.'"

They've been raising hell along with their coaching profiles ever since.

"It really is a special thing when you consider how fortunate we both are to be in this league," Rex said. "I don't know how many twin brother combinations there have been in the league, but certainly to make it this far and have the success that we've had throughout our careers and things (is special).

"As Rob will quickly point out, he has two Super Bowl rings (assistant with Patriots) and I have one (assistant with Ravens). I understand that. But it's really great. I certainly appreciate the kind of coach my brother is."

But there's more to brothers than meets the eye. Rob's trademark mane for instance is the by-product of a commitment he made years ago to the Locks for Love charity. A classmate of Rob's daughter, Dimitra, was diagnosed with cancer and lost her hair because of chemotherapy. A few years later, Jim's son, James III, was diagnosed with cancer and also underwent chemo. Rob wanted to contribute to the cause and has donated his hair annually to the nonprofit even though his nephew is in remission.

"Rob is absolutely thrilled at being in New Orleans and with the Saints," said Jim, who along with Buddy, will be in attendance for the family affair at MetLife Stadium.

"This is by far the most skilled offensive team my dad or brothers have ever coached. I don't have to talk to him to know how much fun he's having. I can see it on his face."

If the Saints keep winning, Rob will likely attract the interest of rival NFL owners and general managers as a potential head-coaching candidate. The job he's done turning around the Saints' defense has certainly opened eyes around the league. And rightfully so.

Is the NFL big enough for two head-coaching Ryans? Who knows? The league would certainly be twice as much fun to cover and watch with two daily Ryan press conferences instead of one.

And it'd add a whole new chapter to the "Book of Ryan."

> http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...rtainment.html

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. A Sanchez-ian performance: Geno Smith's stat line (8-for-19, 115 yards) resembled something out of 2009, when the Jets micro-managed then-rookie Mark Sanchez. Back then, they overcame Sanchez's modest passing days and frequent mistakes all the way to the AFC Championship Game, thanks to a terrific defense and a strong running game. The Jets have tightened the reins on Smith in recent weeks, and it never was more evident than on the Jets' last two meaningful possessions Sunday -- both three-and-outs. In both cases, it was run, run, short pass. Offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg didn't want to Smith to lose the game. Was it a lack of trust? Perhaps, but there were other factors in play: a patchwork receiving corps and strong defense. Smith was reduced to game manager, and it worked: no turnovers. Prepare for more ugly ball down the stretch.

2. A new bell cow: The flavor of the month in the backfield is Chris Ivory, who rushed for a season-high 139 yards against his former team. In recent weeks, the Jets have gone away from Bilal Powell, relying on Ivory as the workhorse. Why? Because Ivory is healthy and fresh. He was huge in each of the past two wins; he ran for 104 yards against New England in Week 7. Ivory's powerful, downhill style should make him an effective weapon in the second half of the season, especially with the weather turning cold. The question is his durability. If he stays healthy, Ivory will be one of the big stories over the final seven weeks. Mark it down.

3. Much-needed bye: The Jets are a beat-up team, especially on offense. This week's bye comes at an ideal time. The major question surrounds wide receiver Jeremy Kerley, who suffered a potentially serious elbow injury. The bye will give extra time for wide receiver Santonio Holmes, who has been nursing a hamstring injury for five weeks. The team is hopeful he can play in Week 11 at Buffalo. Tight end Jeff Cumberland (concussion), safety Antonio Allen (possible concussion) and linebacker Garrett McIntyre (knee) also are on the mend.

4. Milliner responds: That Rex Ryan, he sure knows how to push his players' buttons. His latest project: rookie cornerback Dee Milliner. One week after his in-game benching in Cincinnati, Milliner responded with a solid game against Drew Brees & Co. Perhaps buoyed by Ryan's mid-week gush fest -- he predicted that Milliner would be the top rookie corner by season's end -- the former Alabama standout managed to get through the game without being sent to timeout. Unofficially, he allowed five completions for 49 yards -- not bad, considering the opponent. "The kid played his butt off," Ryan said. If Milliner becomes a consistent player, it would be a huge boost to the defense.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...ew-jets-week-9

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Green Day: Be patient on Rex-tension

If the New York Jets' season ended now, Rex Ryan would deserve a contract extension. He'd probably get it, too.

But here's a news flash: The season doesn't end now. They still have seven games to play, and seven games can change the complexion of a season in the NFL. Heck, one or two games can change the complexion.

Ryan has done a terrific job, but it would make little sense for owner Woody Johnson and general manager John Idzik to hand out a contract extension in early November. I mean, let's be real. Would the Pulitzer committee hand out a prize after reading only half a novel ?

No doubt, the arrow is pointed up for the Jets, but this is a team that can't win two a row. This is a team that ended the previous two seasons on three-game losing streaks. They're still the Jets, so there's always a Butt Fumble waiting to happen. If they drop five of the last seven, against a relatively benign schedule, would Ryan still deserve a new deal?

Ryan did a poor job down the stretch in 2011, losing games and control of his own locker room. He did a poor job last season, mismanaging the quarterback circus. Let's see if he can get to the finish line without an embarrassing controversy. If he does, and the Jets make the playoffs, he'll hold the hammer in contract negotiations.

We live in an age of immediacy, but the Jets' brain trust -- Wood-zik -- won't be swayed by the emotion of the moment. They'll let it play out, making a decision once the season has been defined.

ICYMI: Tuesday was a quiet day. There were no transaction announcements and the Jets didn't report any free-agent workouts to the league. That's unusual for a bye week, but the week isn't over yet. They may check out receivers, with Jeremy Kerley out with a dislocated elbow. His injury typically takes two to four weeks to return. ... We reviewed the tape of the Jets' win over New Orleans. The game plans were clever on both sides of the ball. ... The Jets moved up two spots in the ESPN.com power rankings. They're 14th.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...on-rex-tension

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex Ryan Returns ?

video...
    > http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9935047

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fool Rex Once Shame On You; Fool Rex Twice Shame On Rex

You can say a lot of things about New York Jets Head Coach Rex Ryan, while some of them might not be the nicest, you cannot say Rex doesn’t learn from his mistakes. Whether it be making in-game adjustments with the coverage or personnel, or his overall approach as a head coach. Rex is great at adjusting and learning from his previous mistakes. Still high off the win against New Orleans, Rex Ryan said that we (Jets), “may have the best defensive player in the league right now.” He is undoubtedly talking about Muhammad Wilkerson who is making a very strong case on his own for the Pro Bowl. It was what Rex said earlier this week when he addressed the media that caught my attention. One of the reporters on hand at the press conference asked Rex about the comments he made regarding Mo Wilkerson. Ryan’s response was a simple, “I don’t know. I never said that.” Though he said this in a tongue in cheek manner, anyone who has been following the Jets knows that this isn’t typical Rex Ryan.

Rex Ryan has been evolving as a coach right in front of our eyes. He no longer is the boisterous, loud mouth coach of 2009-2010. To put it plainly, Rex has learned to think before he speaks. I’m sure everyone remembers the entire Revis hold out the first etc. Rex was in the media outright stroking Darrelle Revis’ ego. The fact that he retracted his statement, though tongue in cheek, shows that he isn’t oblivious to what’s going on, and he’s willing to make necessary adjustments. We love Mo Wilkerson but the ugly business side of the game in unavoidable. If you were Mo’s agent, wouldn’t you use the fact that Rex is standing on top of his soapbox proclaiming your client is the greatest, or one of the greatest at his respective position as a bargaining chip? That sounds like a few more zeros as the end of my client’s salary. Rex said what he said in an emotional moment and can’t turn back the hands of time and undo it. What he did do though was attempt to adjust and remedy the situation. People say Rex has changed and they want Fat Rex back, and while they may be right for the most part, you cannot deny the fact that he doing and saying all the right things to make his way back as head coach next year.

> http://thejetpress.com/2013/11/06/fo...ice-shame-rex/

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post
    Fool Rex Once Shame On You; Fool Rex Twice Shame On Rex

You can say a lot of things about New York Jets Head Coach Rex Ryan, while some of them might not be the nicest, you cannot say Rex doesn’t learn from his mistakes. Whether it be making in-game adjustments with the coverage or personnel, or his overall approach as a head coach. Rex is great at adjusting and learning from his previous mistakes. Still high off the win against New Orleans, Rex Ryan said that we (Jets), “may have the best defensive player in the league right now.” He is undoubtedly talking about Muhammad Wilkerson who is making a very strong case on his own for the Pro Bowl. It was what Rex said earlier this week when he addressed the media that caught my attention. One of the reporters on hand at the press conference asked Rex about the comments he made regarding Mo Wilkerson. Ryan’s response was a simple, “I don’t know. I never said that.” Though he said this in a tongue in cheek manner, anyone who has been following the Jets knows that this isn’t typical Rex Ryan.

Rex Ryan has been evolving as a coach right in front of our eyes. He no longer is the boisterous, loud mouth coach of 2009-2010. To put it plainly, Rex has learned to think before he speaks. I’m sure everyone remembers the entire Revis hold out the first etc. Rex was in the media outright stroking Darrelle Revis’ ego. The fact that he retracted his statement, though tongue in cheek, shows that he isn’t oblivious to what’s going on, and he’s willing to make necessary adjustments. We love Mo Wilkerson but the ugly business side of the game in unavoidable. If you were Mo’s agent, wouldn’t you use the fact that Rex is standing on top of his soapbox proclaiming your client is the greatest, or one of the greatest at his respective position as a bargaining chip? That sounds like a few more zeros as the end of my client’s salary. Rex said what he said in an emotional moment and can’t turn back the hands of time and undo it. What he did do though was attempt to adjust and remedy the situation. People say Rex has changed and they want Fat Rex back, and while they may be right for the most part, you cannot deny the fact that he doing and saying all the right things to make his way back as head coach next year.

> http://thejetpress.com/2013/11/06/fo...ice-shame-rex/
    Ha that's true woody probably cringed when he heard that thinking " there goes another few million when we sign the guy next yr " ha.. They could have signed him before this season, we saw last yr the player he has become.. He would have taken a lot less.. Now Mo went from very good last yr to head of the class for Dlinemen.. He's going to get his payday....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    Ha that's true woody probably cringed when he heard that thinking " there goes another few million when we sign the guy next yr " ha.. They could have signed him before this season, we saw last yr the player he has become.. He would have taken a lot less.. Now Mo went from very good last yr to head of the class for Dlinemen.. He's going to get his payday....
    ...it's all about money

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    ...it's all about money
    Izdik gets it.. Unlike MT.. It's all about signing the guy to best deal for " team" MT would just piss away $ in guarantee or always reworked a contract trading future for present.. Finally caught up with jets.. If ravens signed Falco before last yr they get good deal, now after bowl they were forced to pay top dollar, now less FA's they can sign.. Same with big Mo but we have to sign him obviously lets hope his agents aren't as greedy as revis's

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    Izdik gets it.. Unlike MT.. It's all about signing the guy to best deal for " team" MT would just piss away $ in guarantee or always reworked a contract trading future for present.. Finally caught up with jets.. If ravens signed Falco before last yr they get good deal, now after bowl they were forced to pay top dollar, now less FA's they can sign.. Same with big Mo but we have to sign him obviously lets hope his agents aren't as greedy as revis's
    fyi : agents watch, listen and talk to each other

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    fyi : agents watch, listen and talk to each other
    Lol this is obvious news and the point is?