Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: rex & 2013 ~ ~ ~

Hall Of Fame

Arrow rex & 2013 ~ ~ ~

If the Jets make the playoffs in 2013, Rex Ryan should be Coach of the Year.(Assuming that one of the new coaches taking over a bad team doesn’t turn it around, like the Colts this year, but I digress). Ryan is facing several obstacles in the way of getting the Jets back above .500, and it won’t help that he will be coaching for his job, more so than in any of his seasons leading the Jets. Let’s break down some of the things going against Ryan:

He’s facing lame-duck status
    As of this writing, the Jets have still yet to name a general manager, but these situations don’t tend to go well with a returning head coach — just ask Lovie Smith, who couldn’t survive a 10-6 season under new GM Phil Emery. Woody Johnson has put his support behind Ryan after a dismal 2012 season, but his new GM is “stuck” with Ryan. Every general manager wants his own head coach, as seen in Jacksonville, where Mike Mularkey avoided getting fired right after the season, but got the pink slip when the Jaguars hired a new GM, David Caldwell. Ryan will be facing extreme pressure from this situation and working with a brand new GM when it comes to personnel.

The Jets will have a new offense and defense
    Similar to the general-manager spot, the offensive and defensive coordinator positions have not been filled — though it has been widely reported that DBs coach Dennis Thurman will be promoted to defensive coordinator. Ryan wants a brand new, attack-style offense, but that’s still a new scheme that needs to be installed, with big quesitons at quarterback and the rest of the skill positions. The defensive transition should be a little easier, especially with it being Ryan’s specialty, but Mike Pettine also brought some of his assistants to Buffalo. Two new coordinators, two different schemes to learn and install in one offseason.

Mark Sanchez is still the Jets’ quarterback … for now
    This is a quarterback-driven league, and the Jets are behind the eight ball. Sanchez got benched at the end of 2012, but with $8.25 million heading his way in 2013, is likely to remain with the team, and without a strong quarterback class in this April's draft, could still be in line to start Week One. Sanchez has shown the skills, at times, to be an effective quarterback, but his turnovers have been too much for the Jets to overcome. Ryan can’t have much confidence entering a make-of-break season with Sanchez under center.

The roster could see plenty of turnover
    The following starters are entering free agency: OGs Brandon Moore and Matt Slauson, RB Shonn Greene, TE Dustin Keller, DT Mike Devito, LB Bryan Thomas, SS Yeremiah Bell and FS LaRon Landry. In addition, reports indicate that LBs Bart Scott and Calvin Pace could be salary-cap casualties. That’s a lot of production to replace for a team that is reportedly a league-high $19.4 million over the salary cap.

Darrelle Revis and Santonio Holmes will be back, but this is still a team that went 6-10 in 2012
    Considering the quarterback position and the potential for lots of new faces, not to mention the cap problems, the idea of the Jets having the personnel necessary to compete for a playoff berth next year is hard to sell. One cannot understate the impact of having Revis and Holmes back, and possibly getting a Year Two jump from WR Stephen Hill, but the talent on this team did not match its AFC foes in 2012, and losing some veteran starters won’t help that cause.It is an uphill battle for Ryan. Johnson may have said that Ryan is not facing a lame-duck situation, but they both have to understand nothing is guaranteed for 2014 with a new general manager coming to town.It’s not a bad idea for the Jets to experience some rebuilding after two disappointing seasons, especially with plenty of players on the wrong side of 30, but rebuilding in 2013 does not help Ryan’s future with the club, unless he can pull a rabbit out of his hat and make the Jets next year’s surprise team.

> http://www.profootballweekly.com/201...llenge-in-2013

Hall Of Fame
    Jets will run West Coast offense in 2013

There will be two teams running a West Coast offense in the AFC East in 2013.

Last season, the Miami Dolphins made the switch with mixed results under first-year head coach Joe Philbin and offensive coordinator Mike Sherman. This season, the Jets are set to hire new offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg to implement a West Coast scheme in New York, according to reports here and here.

The Jets were 30th in total offense last season under former offensive coordinator Tony Sparano. So change was necessary. But the Jets must get the right players to fit Mornhinweg's West Coast style or things could be just as ugly as last season.

Mornhinwegs' scheme is very different from the ground-and-pound philosophy the Jets have had under head coach Rex Ryan. It is a more wide open and pass-heavy offense. Right now, the Jets would be hard-pressed to throw the ball 60 percent of the time with struggling quarterback Mark Sanchez and a thin group of receivers on their roster.

Expect major changes in New York now that the team hired new general manager John Idzik. The Jets will get younger fast, but it will take time to get better.

Fixing the offense, no matter who is running it, is perhaps New York's biggest challenge.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post...ffense-in-2013

Hall Of Fame
    GM journey : The path to Idzik

It took 19 days and included interviews with 10 candidates, but the Jets finally found their new general manager. The journey:

Dec. 31 -- Owner Woody Johnson fires longtime GM Mike Tannenbaum in a morning meeting. Johnson announces in a statement he has hired head hunter Jed Hughes of the Korn/Ferry consulting firm to conduct the search for a new GM. Neither Johnson nor Tannenbaum address the media, but an emotional Tannenbaum shows up in the press room late in the day to say goodbye to reporters.

The Jets receive permission to interview 49ers director of player personnel Tom Gamble, Falcons director of player personnel Dave Caldwell and Giants director of college scouting Marc Ross. They arrange an interview with the top in-house candidate, assistant GM Scott Cohen. They comprise the so-called "A" list -- executives with all-football backgrounds.

Jan. 2 -- They set up an interview with former Browns GM Tom Heckert, who, like Tannenbaum, was fired the day after the season.

Jan. 3 -- The Jets receive permission to speak with Packers director of football operations John Dorsey.

Jan. 4 -- Caldwell is first in the batting order. He interviews with team officials in Florham Park. He's already drawing heavy interest from the Jaguars.

Jan. 5 -- Gamble is next up in the interview process. He's the so-called hot candidate. ESPN reports that Gamble turned down a second interview with the Jaguars to focus on the Jets, fueling speculation he's The Guy, but some insiders believe the Jaguars cancelled the interview, not Gamble.

Heckert cancels his interview with the Jets, reportedly citing concerns with their salary-cap situation. Dorsey's interview is postponed; he's rumored to be at the top of the Chiefs' list. The Jets still keep him under consideration.

Jan. 7 -- Time for the locals to get their shot -- Cohen and Ross, who also has interviewed for the Jaguars, Panthers and Chargers. Ross is a minority, allowing the Jets to satisfy for Rooney Rule. As part of the process, the Jets speak with other front-office members, picking their brains on the positives and negatives of the football operation.

Meanwhile, Caldwell returns for a second interview. According to SI.com, the Jets give Caldwell a tour of the area near their facility and prepare a contract package that includes a $1 million housing allowance. Sources indicate that the $1 million allowance was actually on Caldwell's list of demands.

Jan. 8 -- Finally, Johnson meets the media, confirming that the next GM will have to co-exist with Rex Ryan for at least a year. Ryan says he's eager to work with the new GM, insisting it will be a happy marriage.

The Caldwell courtship ends; he accepts an offer to become the Jaguars' GM.

Jan. 9 -- The Jets decide to expand the search. They set up interviews with former Bears GM Jerry Angelo, Dolphins assistant GM Brian Gaine, Seahawks vice president of football administration John Idzik, Steelers director of football and business administration Omar Kahn, former Broncos GM Ted Sundquist and former Saints and Dolphins GM Randy Mueller.

Angelo isn't on Hughes' original list, but he lands an interview after strong recommendation from former longtime GM Bill Polian, who reaches out to the Jets. They also receive permission to speak with Colts vice president of football operations Tom Telesco, but it's a non-starter. Telesco already is a finalist for the Chargers' vacancy and, sure enough, he's hired by the end of the day.

Jan. 10 -- Angelo, Gaine and Khan arrive in New York for their interviews, conducted at Johnson's office in Manhattan. Gaine, a former Jets scout raised in Pearl River, N.Y., is recognized by a group of fireman at LaGuardia Airport. They wish him luck. Angelo stops by St. Patrick's Cathedral to see the great church and say a prayer on his walk over Johnson's midtown office.

Jan. 11 -- Idzik, Mueller and Sundquist join the party. They arrive for their interviews.

Jan. 12 -- Scratch another name from the list; Dorsey is hired by the Chiefs, as expected.

Jan. 13 -- Angelo, Cohen and Khan emerge as leading candidates, according to an ESPN report.

Jan. 14 -- Ross withdraws his name from consideration. He never was considered a serious candidate.

Jan. 15 -- Khan returns to the New York area for a second interview. Khan and Ryan meet for the first time, discussing football philosophy. This is Ryan's first involvement in the process.

Jan. 16 -- A second interview for Idzik, whose stock is soaring. He, too, gets a chance to sit down with Ryan.

Jan. 17 -- Idzik returns to Seattle. He tells people at the Seahawks' facility that he's in talks with the Jets and hopes to have it resolved by the night. One person describes him as slightly torn. He loves his job in Seattle, but recognizes the magnitude of the Jets' opportunity.

Jan. 18 -- At 5:20 p.m., the Jets make it official, announcing Idzik as their new GM.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...-path-to-idzik

Hall Of Fame
    Jets at fourth anniversary of Rex's arrival

Four years ago today, the Jets hired Rex Ryan.

It has been a wild ride ever since. It's been filled with, among other things, two AFC title games, a butt fumble and, of course, Tebow Time.

Here are some of the more memorable quotes from Ryan's opening news conference on Jan. 21, 2009, and how they relate to the current state of the Jets :

"I'm going to surround myself with the best people I can find. The kind of coaches that I bring in here are going to work with me. They don't work for me, they work with me. ... Mike Westhoff coaching special teams and Bill Callahan are already committed. ... I just hired Mike Pettine, who was with me in Baltimore for the last several years, as our defensive coordinator. He's a rising star in the league. We don't want to pump him up too much. We want him to be around here for a while, as well, but you're going to see, he's a star in this league."

Four years later : All of the coaches Ryan specifically mentioned are gone, and none are head coaches in the league. Pettine and Callahan went to different teams and Westhoff retired.The staff has a much different look four years later."We want to have an all-weather offense. What kind of offense? We're going to have an all-weather offense, and that starts with a running game, being able to run the football, because I think it's important. You've got to win when the snow falls to get where you want to go, and that's to win Super Bowls."

Four years later : The Jets might have an all-weather offense -- it just isn't any good. The running attack worked early on but has faltered since, and the team will be on its third offensive coordinator in three years. The offense has held the team back in many ways."The only way I know how to handle a challenge is to hit that thing head on, and that's what we're going to do. The message to the rest of the league is, 'Hey, the Jets are coming and we're going to give you everything we've got, and that's going to be, I think, more than you can handle.' We're going to find out."

Four years later : That may have been the case the first two years, but the Jets have missed the playoffs the past two seasons and have had some truly bad performances in that span."I know the Jets' fans. This is going to be great. This is a great marriage right here, I can honestly say. The style of defense that we're going to play, with our fans, whoo, it's going to be rough on people. ... The expectations are high for me as a head football coach. I have high expectations of our fans. We don't let them score at home. Anywhere, really, but at home let's put it on them."

Four years later : Would Jets fans say it has been a great marriage so far ? Seems like some of the fans are turning on Ryan and might want to see the team go in another direction.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...x-ryan-arrival

Hall Of Fame
    John Idzik was introduced Thursday as the New York Jets' new general manager,replacing the fired Mike Tannenbaum.The 52-year-old Idzik, formerly the Seahawks' vice president of football administration, insists that the Jets will "explore every measure to bring in talent and to compete." He adds that the NFL draft will be the team's "lifeline."Idzik, wearing a green and black checkered tie, was hired last Friday after a two-week search by the Jets that included 10 candidates. Idzik had been with the Seahawks the past six seasons after previously working in the front offices of Tampa Bay and Arizona.

Idzik's primary strengths include managing salaries and the salary cap, but he has also worked in player personnel — a combination that attracted the Jets. Calling it a "very, very important day" for the team, owner Woody Johnson adds that Idzik has "the requisite" to help rebuild the team into a perennial playoff contender.Idzik, who will have the final say on all personnel decisions, but he and Johnson often repeated that things will be a "collaborative" effort, which will include coach Rex Ryan."It will be the power of `we' over `me,'" Idzik said.He will face immediate challenges with the Jets. He will have to make decisions on whether to keep quarterbacks Mark Sanchez, who is due $8.25 million in guarantees next season and would cost the Jets a $17.1 million cap hit if they cut him, and Tim Tebow, who is not expected back after one disappointing and unproductive season."We just need to take our time and evaluate Mark, along with everyone else," Idzik said.
    New York is also about $19 million over the salary cap."I never saw the salary cap as a hindrance," said Idzik, adding that he's confident the Jets can have "fruitful" offseason.

Neither he nor Johnson would definitively answer questions about a report that the Jets will explore trading star CB Darrelle Revis, who is recovering from a serious knee injury."I would never say anything about a trade or contract," Johnson said.Revis, who has held out of training camp twice and nearly did again before last season, has a contract that voids after the 2013 season. The Jets also won't be able to use the franchise or transition tag on him, so there's some concern that the team won't be able to re-sign and would prefer to get something back for him rather than lose him as a free agent next winter."I think it's way premature to say anything specific," Idzik said.Ryan has often called Revis the best defensive player in the NFL."I'm not going into any of those specifics right now," Ryan said. "Let's let the process run its course."At the team's season-ending news conference, Johnson defended retaining Ryan, and said potential GM candidates would have to be willing to work with the coach. That setup — having a coach already in place for an incoming GM — was considered a possible drawback by some."I look at Rex Ryan as a very accomplished coach, energetic, optimistic and engaging — and he gets players to play hard," Idzik said. "I look forward to working with Rex Ryan. That, to me, was a plus."

The Jets have also been perceived by many fans and media as having a circuslike atmosphere because of the headlines the franchise seems to constantly make off the field, including trading for Tebow and Ryan's tattoo of his wife in a Sanchez jersey."I don't sense dysfunction or anything like that," Idzik said.

> http://www.profootballweekly.com/201...as-jets-new-gm

Hall Of Fame
    With Jets a mess, Darrelle Revis should embrace trade talk

Darrelle Revis should be glad the New York Jets are thinking about trading him.

Did you follow the Jets this season ?

They have about 99 problems, and Revis' situation is just one.

At this stage of his career, Revis would benefit from a change of scenery. He is a 27-year-old cornerback coming off knee surgery for a torn ACL. Even if Revis returns and proves he is still the NFL's best corner, another long-term contract with the Jets is not in his best interests.

First of all, the Jets don't want to pay Revis what he is seeking, and he can become a free agent after next season. Other teams want Revis. He has leverage, a precious commodity in the short lifespan of an NFL player. Revis owes it to himself to use that leverage and get more than the Jets are willing to pay. His knee injury was a reminder of that old saying — NFL really stands for Not For Long.

Revis has said he wants to retire as a Jet. Which raises this question.

Why ?

Loyalty is an admirable trait. But here's a news flash. The Super Bowl will be at MetLife Stadium next year, and the Jets won't be its host. They are much farther from being a Super Bowl team than they were two years ago. Unless new general manager John Idzik seriously upgrades the offensive talent, the Jets are in for a few more seasons of misery, no matter how long Rex Ryan stays, or doesn't stay, as coach.That's why the Jets are not crazy for exploring Revis' trade value. He is their best player, but even with him, they must get better at so many positions to compete with the league's elite. Trading Revis could give them more ammo in the draft to fill their holes.

Darrelle Revis on the trade block ? It's a deal both the Jets and their star cornerback should endorse.Because the Jets can't put the franchise tag on him, per the contract negotiated by former GM Mike Tannenbaum, they can't stop him from leaving a year from now anyway.So why not find out what a trade could bring ? Asked if he would be open to the possibility of dealing Revis at his introductory press conference Thursday, Idzik said, "I think it's way premature to say anything specific. Again, I haven't even had the chance to sit down and thoroughly vet through our roster with Rex, his staff (and) with our personnel staff. "One of our first steps is to go through our roster in detail. That includes (Darrelle), that includes everybody on the roster. Then develop a comprehensive plan off of that. But it's still a little premature to say."

Revis had no trouble reading between those lines. Idzik did not rule out a trade, and that was enough to make Revis tweet: "I'm speechless by far but more importantly I feel more upset for the jet nation for having to go through this!!! I guess we'll see how this plays out."

Revis should not fret.

Although the Jets are not about to trade him to another team in the AFC East, imagine if they dealt him to the Denver Broncos? We know John Elway is not afraid to make bold moves. Elway just saw his secondary get roasted by the Baltimore Ravens in the playoffs.The idea of having Revis must make Elway's heart beat just a little bit faster. And imagine Revis standing on the sideline, watching Peyton Manning play quarterback for his team instead of Mark Sanchez — does that sound like torture ?

Or how about the San Francisco 49ers, another contender that could use secondary help? Imagine if the 49ers lose the Super Bowl and their secondary has a bad day. Revis could be viewed as a fix. Why wouldn't Revis welcome a move to the 49ers? They don't just talk about Super Bowls. They actually play in them. Jets owner Woody Johnson refused to rule out trading Revis, but he told reporters Thursday that he expected Revis to recover from his knee injury. "I saw Darrelle the other day and if you looked at Darrelle, I think he's going to come back and be 100 percent," Johnson said. "I don't think there's any question. I'm confident he'll be good. This is an injury you can come back from today that maybe 20 years ago you couldn't, but now you can."

Nobody doubts Revis' pride, so he will be driven to re-establish himself as the game's best corner. But which team will Revis come back with? As Revis said, we will see how this plays out. However, he should not be losing any sleep. If the Jets deal him, a great player could easily find himself landing in a better situation.

> http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...son-ryan-idzik

Hall Of Fame
    Tomlinson : Jets failed to develop Sanchez

As long as there is a radio row at the Super Bowl, there will be former Jets stepping up to critique the season. It happened again Thursday as LaDainian Tomlinson spoke to Stephen A. Smith and Ryan Ruocco on ESPN New York 98.7 FM.

Tomlinson, a former Jets running back, said the team has failed to develop quarterback Mark Sanchez while Rex Ryan was so focused on the defense."One of the biggest mistakes I felt like the Jets made, even before I got there, is not keeping Chad Pennington when they drafted Mark Sanchez," Tomlinson said. "When you draft a young guy like Mark Sanchez out of USC, that has only played in 12 college football games, you have to have a veteran to teach this guy how to play the position. A guy to take him in the film room and say, 'This is what you look for.' And then take him on the practice field and say, 'This is how you practice, this is how you perform on Sundays.'

"They just kind of threw him out there, a young kid, threw him out there and really never developed him."

Of course it was Brett Favre, not Pennington, who was last under center before the Jets drafted Sanchez. But that oversight didn't stop Tomlinson from pushing on."Here's the thing: They have been trying to get Mark Sanchez to be the guy," Tomlinson said, "to be a Tom Brady, Peyton Manning type of quarterback. And it hasn't worked out. Not to say that you can't win with Mark Sanchez, but you’d better have a good running game and you better have a dominant defense if you're going to win with this guy." Tomlinson played for two season with the Jets, including the team's second trip to the AFC Championship Game in 2010.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...evelop-sanchez

Rookie
    If our offense was even middle of the road this past year, we would have made the playoffs.

Realistically, I'm not looking for a complete turnaround and top 10 offense next year but if we manage middle of the road offense and can get a top 5 defense on the field, we will make the playoffs.

Hall Of Fame
    Defense, not Mark Sanchez and offense, is where Jets should look to fill needs in draft

LAST SEASON

Rush Offense - 118.5 ypg (12th)
    Pass Offense - 180.7 ypg (30th)
    Total Offense - 299.2 ypg (30th)
    Scoring Offense - 17.6 ppg (28th)
    Rush Defense - 133.6 ypg (26th)
    Pass Defense - 189.9 ypg (2nd)
    Total Defense - 323.4 ypg (8th)
    Scoring Defense - 23.4 ppg (20th)

MOST PRESSING NEEDS
    Offense: Sanchez's significant improvement, tight end (if Dustin Keller leaves) and OL help
    Defense: Pass rusher, decision on Revis

Quarterback The Draft Board

2nd round
    Mike Glennon, NC State (6-7, 220)
    Tyler Wilson, Arkansas (6-2, 218)
    3rd round
    Tyler Bray, Tennessee (6-5, 215)
    E.J Manuel, Florida State (6-4, 237)

Well, it turned out exactly how we all expected, huh? It was a nightmare to say the least and there's not a ton of hope in sight. Mark Sanchez, the starter for four years, regressed with Tim Tebow standing over his shoulder. Surprisingly, Tebow didn't even get a chance. Greg McElroy got his chance and handled it the way you'd expect a third-stringer to handle it, taking 11 sacks in his only start of the season (and getting a concussion to boot).So, it's time to clean house, right? Well, after signing Sanchez to an extension prior to the 2012 season, the Jets committed to him for the 2013 season, at a minimum.

Let's start there. Tebow, more than likely, won't be back and that'll be a good thing for all involved. McElroy is inexpensive and has the confidence to be a starter but is better served as a backup.There are two approaches here. The "let Sanchez ride this all the way out" option the "find the future immediately" alternative, which would be an intelligent strategy if there was an Andrew Luck or a Robert Griffin III or even a Jay Cutler in this draft. That's not what new GM John Idzik has in front of him. However, Glennon and Bray can sling it; unfortunately, they don't always sling it to the right colored jersey. Manuel has similar issues, but he can make plays with his legs out of the pocket in a worst case scenario. These three may have the strongest arms in this draft class to help cut through the New York winds, but is either one of them that much of a more better option than Sanchez? Not at this point.

If quarterback were the only true hole on this team, it'd be logical to think that drafting one would be a sound philosophy, but that's not the case. There is nothing worse for a new GM than to encounter a no-win situation at quarterback, while being hamstrung by financial woes. Welcome to New York, John.

Running Back The Draft Board

2nd round
    Eddie Lacy, Alabama (5-10, 220)
    Giovani Bernard, N.C. (5-10, 205)
    Montee Ball, Wisconsin (5-11, 215)
    3rd round
    LeVeon Bell, Michigan State (6-2, 244)
    4th round
    Christine Michael, Texas A&M (5-10, 221)
    Mike Gillislee, Florida (5-11, 207)
    6th round
    Rex Burkhead, Nebraska (5-11, 210)

The running back situation isn't any more clear than the quarterback situation. Shonn Greene had a second consecutive 1,000-yard season, but averaged less than four yards per carry. Oh, lest I forget, he's an unrestricted free agent. Bilal Powell is a quality backup who I'd like to see get more action to see if he could ever develop as a starter. Plus, he's still working on his rookie contract ($550k in 2013). Worst case, he's a decent No. 2 to Greene (if he re-signs). Joe McKnight has explosive tendencies, we've all seen that, but he's not consistent enough to be The Man.If Greene moves on, the Jets should, and will, target a back in the second, third or fourth round. If he re-signs, a running back won't make sense, more than likely, until the fifth.

Lacy is a full-on beast with tremendous balance and feet and he's a significant upgrade over Greene. He had the fortunate pleasure of running behind three potential top-50 draft picks, so life won't be as easy at the next level. But, he runs through arm tackles and gives Rex Ryan and company the ground-and-pound running back that Ryan covets.The more film that I watch on Bernard, the more I like him. He's patient, has quick feet, runs behind his pads and finishes his runs. Think poor man's Ray Rice. He won't break a ton of big runs, but other than Adrian Peterson, who does? Ball doesn't have "Lacy power", but he's a complete runner who would also fit well in green and white. He'll start and stop, turn on a dime before bursting through an open hole. Bell is the type of back that defenses hate to see in the fourth quarter, but he also can catch the ball well out of the backfield.

Greene has shown he can be a dependable back at this level, but these four RBs are more gifted. Not to mention, a few years younger, too. If Greene stays and the Jets bypass RBs in the first four rounds, Burkhead is the perfect complementary back who can also play on special teams.

Wide Receiver

The Jets' receiving corps was doomed from the outset of the season. Santonio Holmes was lost for the season after only four games. 2012 second-round pick Stephen Hill suffered a similar fate, playing only eleven games dealing with a knee injury. Outside of Jeremy Kerley's 56 receptions, a pleasant surprise, Chaz Schilens led the remaining WRs with 28 catches. Let's say both Holmes and Hill come back healthy and Kerley produces like he did in 2012, the receiving corps is adequate.The hope is that Holmes is healthy, Kerley plays well in the slot and Hill returns ready to make a significant difference. A free-agent acquisition makes more sense than another rookie from this draft.

Given the current WR situation (not the best, not the worst) and the holes at other positions, the Jets may not target a wide receiver in this draft. Free agency ? Perhaps. But, not in the draft. Not this year anyway.

Tight End The Draft Board

2nd round
    Tyler Eifert, Notre Dame (6-5, 252)
    Zach Ertz, Stanford (6-6, 252)
    3rd round
    Jordan Reed, Florida (6-3, 243)
    Travis Kelce, Cincinnati (6-5, 260)
    4th round
    Gavin Escobar, San Diego State (6-5, 255)
    Dion Sims, Michigan State (6-5, 285)
    5th round
    Vance McDonald, Rice (6-4, 262)
    Ryan Otten, San Jose State (6-5, 235)
    6th round
    Jake Stoneburner, Ohio State (6-5, 245)
    Michael Williams, Alabama (6-6, 269)

NFL teams are accumulating tight ends at a fairly rapid rate and the Jets have one, when utilized and healthy, that could be a 70 catch/year option. However, Dustin Keller is an unrestricted free agent and his backup Jeff Cumberland is a restricted free agent as well. Keller is of more value to teams that could utilize him to the fullest, given the higher value placed on tight ends across the league. His departure would leave the Jets with a massive hole to fill.Sanchez needs options, but he also needs to be protected. Signing Keller would make sense, especially if he gives a bit of a hometown discount, so to speak. But, if he's gone, the Jets must find an athletic, pass catcher to give Sanchez intermediate receiving options.

The tight end class has a multitude of options. Eifert and Ertz can line up anywhere on the field. Escobar is a great athlete who can get open all over the field. Sims is a 285-pound pass catcher, whose blocking must improve. Otten is a smaller version of Escobar. Williams is the best blocking tight end in this draft.Either way, the Jets have a ton of options up and down the board to fit a number of needs. If the goal is to replace Keller, then Eifert, Ertz, Reed, Escobar and Otten fit that bill. If the Jets want a more versatile tight end, part in-line run blocker, part pass catcher, Kelce is a good fit in the third or fourth round.

Offensive line The Draft Board

1st round
    G Chance Warmack, Alabama (6-2, 322)
    G Jonathan Cooper, N.C. (6-3, 310)
    2nd round
    T D.J Fluker, Alabama (6-5, 355)
    G Larry Warford, Kentucky (6-3, 333)
    G/T Kyle Long, Oregon (6-6, 310)
    3rd round
    G/T Justin Pugh, Syracuse (6-5, 301)
    T Dallas Thomas, Tennessee (6-5, 308)
    4th round
    G/T Brian Winters, Kent State (6-4, 310)
    T David Quessenberry, SJSU (6-5, 294)
    7th round
    G Lane Taylor, Oklahoma State (6-2, 328)

The right tackle odyssey was a disaster from the day that former GM Mike Tannenbaum decided to forego finding a free agent or a draft pick to challenge Wayne Hunter last offseason. The downfall was predictable, even after Hunter was sent to the Rams, opening the spot for Austin Howard, who wasn't much better. His pass protection was suspect and that's being nice. Howard is also a restricted free agent, but in a perfect world he'd be the team's swing tackle, not it's starting right tackle. The two projected starters at guard are unrestricted free agents, so it's clear that the Jets must target offensive line help in this draft at guard and/or tackle, perhaps looking for versatility to play either position.If the Jets want an instant upgrade at guard, Warmack is the perfect fit. Powerful, quick, explosive and sudden, he steps right in and becomes a Pro Bowl guard within the next three years. The Jets don't have the luxury of going guard-guard in the first two rounds, but a combination of Warmack and Warford would jump start the running game in a heartbeat. But, it's the passing game that needs the help; luckily, either or both of those two provide sound A/B gap protection in the passing game.

Winters is a find in the fourth round. He was a stellar left tackle at Kent State but he's more of a fit at right tackle or at guard. Given the needs at those positions, he gives the Jets the versatility they need at either position. Most of the OL listed above will get grimy and nasty, a must for the Jets.

Defensive line The Draft Board

6th round
    DE Craig Roh, Michigan (6-4, 280)
    DE Joe Kruger, Utah (6-6, 280)
    DE Damion Square, Alabama (6-3, 286)
    7th round
    DE Mike Catapano, Princeton (6-3, 270)

Since Kris Jenkins retired a few years ago, the Jets have been void of quality defensive line depth. Fortunately, the team recognized this and spent consecutive first-round draft picks on DEs Muhammad Wilkerson and Quinton Coples. NT Sione Pouha was slowed by a back injury for much of the year. If those three are healthy for the majority of the year and Coples makes significant progress, the front three is in good shape.If Mike Devito is brought back, the defensive line is more than likely set. However, if the Jets find value in the sixth or seventh rounds, it'll make sense to add depth and cheap labor.

Roh and Kruger are extremely athletic 280-pounders and are great value in the sixth or seventh round. One of these two would fit well in New York backing up Muhammad, Devito and/or Coples. The Jets have more distinct needs to think about drafting defensive line before the last two rounds of this draft.

Linebackers The Draft Board

1st round
    OLB Jarvis Jones, Georgia (6-2, 242)
    OLB Barkevious Mingo, LSU (6-4, 240)
    OLB Ziggy Ansah, BYU (6-5, 274)
    2nd round
    OLB Alec Ogletree, Georgia (6-3, 234)
    3rd round
    OLB Sean Porter, Texas A&M (6-1, 231)
    4th round
    OLB Gerald Hodges, Penn St. (6-1, 239)
    5th round
    OLB Keith Pough, Howard (6-2, 241)
    OLB Meshak Williams, Kansas St. (6-2, 245)
    ILB A.J Klein, Iowa State (6-1, 246)
    6th round
    ILB Vince Williams, Florida St. (6-0, 247)
    7th round
    ILB Greg Blair, Cincinnati (6-1, 252)

At outside linebacker, Bryan Thomas is an unrestricted free agent and his off-the-field problems could force the Jets to walk away. Calvin Pace, on the other side, finished with only three sacks and has little impact on the edge. The Jets will more than likely cut Pace because of salary-cap issues.Suffice it to say, the Jets must find some edge presence to get more heat on the quarterback early in this draft. The Jets registered only 30 sacks on the season and there is no question that the Jets MUST draft a pass rusher before the end of the first two rounds.

Inside, the Jets' starters, David Harris and Bart Scott, have been mainstays, but Scott has slowed considerably, will be 33 by the time the season starts and could use a youthful push. It's just a matter of whether it'll be a push into retirement or just to the bench. Either way, given the Jets' cap situation, they should take a long look at 2012 third-rounder Demario Davis to play alongside Harris.With only 30 sacks in 2012, the Jets will have a hard time turning away from Jones, but he's streaky. He'll have games of three or four sacks with a bushel full of big plays and then the next you'll wonder whether he's been on the field or not. Plus, Jones' medicals must check out as his neck injury forced him to leave USC for Georgia back in 2010. Regardless, he's a significant upgrade on the edge, something the Jets desperately need.

Mingo hasn't played a ton of football and was just learning how to play 4-3 defensive end with his hand on the ground at LSU. But, if there's an athlete in this draft that could make that transition, it's Mingo. Worst case, he can fly off the edge and get after the quarterback.And, no, Jets fans, he's not Vernon Gholston. Ansah is a work in progress, as well, and might not be the right fit in New York, but if the Jets are faced with having to select a guy his size who can run a 4.5 forty, well, heck, they'll just have to get over themselves, huh?

Ogletree plays the game with a hefty helping of nasty, but that stays with him off the field too. With Davis likely taking over Scott's inside spot next to Harris, the Jets' depth can be bolstered with a productive tackling machine like Klein, who was the 2011 Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year.

Secondary The Draft Board

2nd round
    CB Desmond Trufant, Wash. (5-11, 190)
    CB Xavier Rhodes, Florida St. (6-1, 217)
    CB Logan Ryan, Rutgers (6-0, 182)
    S Matt Elam, Florida (5-10, 202)
    3rd round
    CB Robert Alford, SELA (5-10, 186)
    S Jonathan Cyprien, FIU (6-0, 209)
    S Phillip Thomas, Fresno State (6-1, 210)
    S Tony Jefferson, Oklahoma (5-11, 212)
    4th round
    S Shawn Wiliams, Georgia (6-1, 213)
    5th round
    S Robert Lester, Alabama (6-1, 212)
    S Duke Williams, Nevada (5-11, 201)

The Jets' secondary was like a Dickens novel…it was the best of times (LaRon Landry's performance at safety) and the worst of times (Revis Island shutdown). But, nothing lasts forever, especially when Landry is staring at a potential huge payday as an unrestricted free agent. He was second on the team with 99 tackles, but he's not married to the Jets, which leaves a gaping hole at free safety if he leaves.Then, there is strong safety Yeremiah Bell, who registered 89 tackles, third on the team, and is also an unrestricted free agent. Both will command significant interest on the market, which could alter free agent/draft strategy if the Jets lose both players.

At cornerback, if Revis is healthy and Cromartie plays like he did in 2012, the Jets are set at that position. But, the most polarizing discussion of the offseason will be whether Revis returns to the Jets or gets traded elsewhere. Plenty of teams will be interested, but the question about his knee will resonate throughout.Idzik has his work cut out trying to figure out what to do with this unit alone. Could it be that the only Jet that returns is Cromartie ? Then what ? This is as difficult to figure out from a draft perspective as any unit in the AFC East. If Bell and Landry walk and Revis gets moved, it becomes priority No. 1. If Revis gets moved, the Jets would have additional picks somewhere in this draft to allow for the opportunity to draft youngsters at both CB and safety.

Trufant is a lockdown corner who does it with his speed, quickness and ability to match cuts better than any other CB in this draft. Rhodes, on the other hand, is physical and can beat receivers up at the line of scrimmage in press man coverage.Ryan flew under the radar much of the year, but having played at Rutgers, the Jets personnel department should be familiar with how smooth he backpedals, breaks on the ball and makes plays on the ball. At safety, Elam is a ball player, pure and simple. He plays every single play with a chip on his shoulder and will run through ball carriers in run support. He's underrated in pass coverage but no safety has the football instincts that he has.

Cyprien is getting a ton of attention late in the process. This guy doesn't back off and doesn't know any other way to play the game. He'll thrive at the combine and that could push him up into the late second round after that Meat Market showing.

John Harris hosts The John Harris Show for Yahoo! Sports Radio.

> http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--de...060829124.html

Too many over paid under performing, over rated players are the issue. Revis, mangold, landry and cromartie are the only players that would start on any nfl team. The rest are way over paid and not worth it b

Rex will be gone after another losing season, 5-11 due to no qb and poor talent. Rex and tanny have put this team where they are. The jets settled for this Gm and are on a crash course for failure. It's going to get worse before it gets better.

Paying Harris all that money, ditto on Sanchez and Holmes and what it's going to take to keep Regis have doomed this team to failure. Just looking forward to another season of Jets football.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by srobjets View Post
    Too many over paid under performing, over rated players are the issue. Revis, mangold, landry and cromartie are the only players that would start on any nfl team. The rest are way over paid and not worth it b

Rex will be gone after another losing season, 5-11 due to no qb and poor talent. Rex and tanny have put this team where they are. The jets settled for this Gm and are on a crash course for failure. It's going to get worse before it gets better.

Paying Harris all that money, ditto on Sanchez and Holmes and what it's going to take to keep Regis have doomed this team to failure. Just looking forward to another season of Jets football.
    it ~ is ~ goin' to get worse before it gets ANY better
    this will most probably be rex's last season with us.
    hopefully, we can get a future NFL QB in the 2014 draft.

cheers ~ ~

Hall Of Fame
    ~ ~ Free-agent match : QB Matt Moore

Analysis : Keep in mind the Jets will have little wiggle room this offseason. The team is already more than $19 million over the cap, and New York has to make enough cuts to provide money for its draft class and a few affordable free agents. Moore is the kind of cheap free agent who could provide the Jets some bang for their buck. Moore was Ryan Tannehill’s backup in Miami all last season but is looking for a chance to compete. That opportunity would be in New York against the struggling Mark Sanchez. Jets fans want Alex Smith, but need to realize they don’t have that kind of cap room. I think a trade for Seattle's Matt Flynn would be the best option. But if nothing happens in the trade market, a cheap signing like Moore would not be a bad option.

Chances : Average

> http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post...s-for-afc-east

Hall Of Fame
    EA Q&A : New Draft Decision Makers

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...f-21ad0ab4388e

Hall Of Fame
    Changes in Atlanta as 3 key players are out

The Atlanta Falcons started their youth movement Friday by ditching
    three key players from the most successful era in franchise history.

The Falcons released running back Michael Turner, defensive end John
    Abraham and cornerback Dunta Robinson, moves that were not unexpected
    given their age (all in their 30s) and hefty salaries.

~ ~ The 30-year-old Robinson signed with Atlanta in 2010 and became a steady
    figure in the secondary, known especially for his bruising hits.

rest of above article :
    > http://jacksonville.com/sports/footb...m_content=ESPN

* * ok ,..how 'bout this ;...we trade revis ( for draft picks and/or players ) & sign robinson....

Hall Of Fame
    Is Tim Tebow still in the Jets plans ?

The conventional wisdom is that if the New York Jets can't trade Tim Tebow, they will cut him at some point in the offseason.But is that's what the Jets really plan to do? General manager John Idzik suggested in a conference call Monday with season ticket holders that Tebow could still be in their training camp this summer.He said of the quarterbacks, "Let it play out this offseason and into training camp. I think that'll be healthy for all concerned, including Tim.''

Now it could be Idzik was just posturing and trying to convince a team that wants Tebow that it has to trade for him because they may not cut him.But an NFL.com writer suggested the Jets shouldn't cut Tebow and that if they bring him to camp, it won't create a circus atmosphere because he would be old news. And maybe new offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg could find a role for him.

Of course, this could all be a smokescreen. Maybe the Jets will cut him.

It's obvious that Tebow's future continues to be the focus of much speculation. The only certain thing is that regardless of what happens, he won't be signed by the Jaguars. General manager David Caldwell has been emphatic that he is not in the Jaguars' plans.

> http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blog...m_content=ESPN

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Agreed. The Jets won 6 games in 2012....many make it sound like they won 2! They also could have won a few more games like the Titans game. The defense is still there and should be better in 2013....it's only March...we have free agency and the draft...amazing how many people are writing thr 2013 season off already lol! If I felt that way I would not even watch any games this season....I like the new GM and the professionalism by him.....only time will tell, but I am optimistic about the 2013 season.

Quote Originally Posted by MysticalJet View Post
    If our offense was even middle of the road this past year, we would have made the playoffs.

Realistically, I'm not looking for a complete turnaround and top 10 offense next year but if we manage middle of the road offense and can get a top 5 defense on the field, we will make the playoffs.

Hall Of Fame
    Thurman's play-calling role yet to be defined

The Jets' defensive playcalling last season was a collaborative effort between Rex Ryan and Mike Pettine. Pettine is gone, replaced by longtime secondary coach Dennis Thurman. So the new playcaller is ... yet to be determined."Rex and I really haven't talked about it," the new defensive coordinator said in an interview with team media. "I have no problem if he wants to call it. If we do it like we've done in the past, my input will always be there."

Thurman, commenting for the first time since being promoted, didn't have much to say about the Darrelle Revis situation, repeating the company line: "The most important thing we're worried about with Darrelle is getting him back healthy."One of the biggest personnel issues is the safety position, with LaRon Landry and Yeremiah Bell both headed to unrestricted free agency. The Jets used late-round picks last year on Josh Bush and Antonio Allen, but Thurman indicated they're not ready for frontline roles.

"I don't think they'll improve enough to start," he said, "but they have to improve."New offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg, also interviewed, didn't reveal much."I love challenges, and I think this is a great challenge," he said, explaining what attracted him to the Jets.

An understatement, for sure.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/

Hall Of Fame
    New general manager John Idzik has made it clear he wants to bring in competition for embattled starter Mark Sanchez, and now new offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg has given some idea of what he wants in a quarterback during an interview on the team’s official website, NewYorkJets.com.

And it’s not about completion percentage. "No, absolutely not," Mornhinweg said.

“Some of the great ones have really not thrown for such a great accuracy,” Mornhinweg said. “Steve Young was astronomical accuracy-wise. Brett Favre wasn't. Brett Favre, I believe won an MVP two different times out of the three times that he won it, throwing for 58, 59, 60 percent, somewhere in there. So they all come in different shapes and sizes.“Now those guys, those men that throw for a little bit less accuracy typically are generating a little bit bigger pays on occasion. so there's a little bit of a tradeoff there.”

It’s good news for Sanchez, who ranked 30th in the league in completion percentage at 54.3, down from a career-high 56.7 in 2011. Atlanta’s Matt Ryan and Denver’s Peyton Manning, tied at 68.6, led the league, followed by Green Bay's Aaron Rodgers (67.2). Super Bowl winner Joe Flacco was 19th in the league for Baltimore with a 59.7 completion percentage.The sticking point with Sanchez is his touchdown-to-interception ratio. In 2011 he had 18 interceptions and 26 touchdowns. In 2012, he had the same number of interceptions but just 13 passing TDs. The Jets were not generating a lot of big plays, however, and offensive coordinator Tony Sparano was fired after a single season.

The interview yielded another nugget. Mornhinweg said he was planning to use running backs as short yardage receivers when applicable.“If our backs have that talent we certainly will do that you may see that a little bit more than you have in the past,” Mornhinweg said.Mornhinweg clarified that he planned to use the strengths of the individuals he has on the final roster.

Given the offensive challenges of last two season, why did Mornhinweg take the job ?

“I love challenges and I think this is a great challenge,” Mornhinweg said.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/

Hall Of Fame
    Darrelle Revis is due to receive a $1 million roster bonus if he's still a Jet next Saturday.A look at the Jets and around the NFL:

1. Cornering the market: I think the Darrelle Revis camp is pushing for a resolution ASAP -- i.e. a trade -- because it's concerned about the cornerback market drying up. There are a handful of good free-agent corners out there, namely Sean Smith (Dolphins) and Aqib Talib (Patriots). Dunta Robinson, released by the Falcons, was gobbled up by the Chiefs. Teams such as the Bucs, Cards, Patriots and Broncos are shopping for a cornerback, and it's highly unlikely they'd be interested in dealing for Revis if they spend $8 million-a-year on someone else.This could be part of the Jets' strategy, but it's a double-edged strategy. They could wait out Revis until, say, the summer, figuring the cornerback market will be depressed and they'd be able to re-sign him to a team-friendly deal. Of course, if they wait that long, they risk losing the most aggressive suitors, the teams desperate for help at the position -- if they opt for the trade route.For those of you on Revis Watch, pay attention to the cornerback signings, starting Tuesday. That could tell us where Revis might be headed. The Broncos have expressed interest, according to a source. The Bucs have more than $30 million in cap room and could be a dark horse.Antonio Cromartie finished last season with three interceptions and 35 tackles

.2. Time for the bonus, baby: The first artificial deadline in the Revis situation is next Saturday -- a $1 million roster bonus if he's on the team. Once he earns the bonus, he doesn't have to return it if he gets traded and it counts toward the salary cap. If you're thinking of cutting ties with a player, it makes sense to do it before committing $1 million to him. Because of the magnitude of the Revis situation, the bonus probably won't have an impact on the Jets' thinking, a league source told me.Other Jets roster bonuses: C Nick Mangold -- $3 million on Tuesday; CB Antonio Cromartie -- $2.3 million on Tuesday.

3. Scheme change ?: There have been some rumblings around the league that the Jets, predominantly a 3-4 team under Rex Ryan, may use more 4-3 fronts than in the past. It makes sense, considering the personnel. After cutting Calvin Pace and Bart Scott, they're thin on linebackers, but they could put David Harris in the middle and Demario Davis on the weak side. Actually, Davis probably is better suited to a 4-3. At the scouting combine, Rex Ryan mentioned how DT Quinton Coples will be used more on the edge than inside, perhaps another 4-3 hint. Also, they're trying hard to re-sign DT Mike DeVito, which would give them four starting-caliber linemen. Food for thought.

4. One year ago ... : Saturday marked the one-year anniversary of: 1.) the Jets getting blown off by Peyton Manning, 2.) the Jets signing QB Mark Sanchez to a three-year contract extension, basically a new five-year contract for $58 million. Ah, memories. On the night it was announced, this is what I wrote: "This move is so stunning, so confounding, so impulsive, so typical of the Jets...It means Rex Ryan and Mike Tannenbaum are all in with Sanchez. He'll either make them famous or get them fired." And now Tannenbaum is a guest analyst for the NFL Network. Unfortunately for him, there are no mulligans in the GM business.

5. Nick the kick: The best thing that happened to Nick Novak was getting cut by the Jets during the 2011 preseason. Novak, who lost out to Nick Folk, landed with the Chargers. On Saturday, he reportedly signed a four-year, $6.6 million contract, including a $1.5 million signing bonus. The Jets liked Novak, but they felt more comfortable with Folk. Novak actually was cut by the Chargers last summer, but he was re-signed when incumbent Nate Kaeding got hurt. Kaeding got Wally Pipped, as Novak made 18 of 20 FG attempts.Meanwhile, it'll be interesting to see what the Jets do with Folk, an unrestricted free agent. He's probably looking for Novak money, and then some. Can the Jets afford him? Can they afford to lose a reliable kicker? Ryan Nassib led Syracuse to an 8-5 record last season as a senior. He recorded 3,749 passing yards, 26 touchdowns and 10 interceptions.

6. On the quarterback trail: Offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg reportedly had dinner last week with Syracuse QB Ryan Nassib after his pro day. He's an interesting prospect. Scouts are divided on him, their opinions ranging from future star to career backup. Nassib doesn't have a big arm, but he's smart with a quick release, attributes that would fit nicely in Mornhinweg's West Coast system. The Jets are very interested in drafting a quarterback. The draft looks like a realistic option because, let's face it, the free-agent market stinks.

7. Buy cheap, get cheap: Anybody remember the Jets' free-agent class from a year ago? Okay, I'll tell: S LaRon Landry, WR Chaz Schilens, QB Drew Stanton (traded), and S Yeremiah Bell. There's a very good chance none of these players will be on the 2013 roster, as they all signed one-year contracts. Ironically, the player whose impact could be felt the longest is Stanton, who was dealt away to the Colts a week after the Jets acquired Tim Tebow -- a $500,000 mistake because Stanton got to keep his signing bonus. They received a sixth-round pick, which they used to select S Josh Bush, who saw limited action. His role could expand this season.

8. Like old times?: The Jets need a pass rusher. Former Jet John Abraham, cut by the Falcons, needs a team. Could they ... possibly ... maybe ... you know, reunite? No chance, according to a source. Abraham wants to sign with a contender. Don't they all?

9. Fear the Fish: With more than $30 million in cap room and five draft picks in the first three rounds, the Dolphins have positioned themselves to make a nice turnaround. They re-signed WR Brian Hartline and backup QB Matt Moore, and my money is on them to land coveted free-agent WR Mike Wallace. But, you know what? It doesn't matter much unless second-year QB Ryan Tannehill takes a big step. It's always about the quarterback in the NFL. If you've got one, you're good to go. If not, you're picking in the top 10 every year.

10. Go Wes, young man: Quite understandably, the status of Patriots WR Wes Welker is a huge story in New England. If they don't sign him by Tuesday, he hits the open market. Folks in Beantown will yell and scream, ripping Bill Belichick for letting him Welker walk. Make no mistake, Belichick is as cold as they come when it comes to making tough personnel decisions. But here's the thing: He's almost always right. If he thinks they can survive without Welker, they will.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...s-watch-begins

Hall Of Fame
    ..Sources: Jets' lack of cooperation with Darrelle Revis' agents hurting trade talks

......Talk to enough NFL people about the trade market for cornerback Darrelle Revis and there is a recurring theme.

If the New York Jets want to get this done quickly, they would be best served working with Revis' agents Neil Schwartz and Jonathan Feinsod.It would behoove the Jets to trade Darrelle Revis soon."If I'm making this deal, there's a lot of stuff I need to know," an NFC team executive said. "I need to know if he's healthy. I need to know if he wants to play for us. I need to know if I'm going to get a long-term deal or is this one year and we'll see.

"But I talk to the Jets and they're like, 'OK, what are you offering?' I can't begin to figure it out."Revis, who essentially has one year remaining on his contract, is scheduled to make $6 million next season. Following the 2013 season, the Jets can't use a franchise tag on him based on language in the contract.Because the Jets are about to begin a rebuilding process, they do not want to pay Revis what would likely be in excess of $13 million per year and perhaps as much as $16 million a year. At the same time, any team trying to acquiring Revis would likely be interested in signing him to a long-term deal, particularly any team that is willing to give up a high draft pick or two.

In essence, if the Jets want to get as much as possible for Revis, they have to give teams a chance to negotiate with his agents to see if a long-term contract can be worked out. In addition, they have to give teams a chance to give him a physical because Revis is trying to return from a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his knee that sidelined him most of the 2012 campaign.However, new Jets general manager John Idzik, who has declined two requests by Yahoo! Sports to discuss the situation, has yet to give Schwartz and Feinsod permission to talk to other teams. In fact, the sides haven't talked for weeks. Aside from a couple of brief exchanges between Idzik and Revis, there has been almost no contact between the sides.

"What the Jets are creating is a situation where [the agents] have to beat them. Teams are saying, 'OK, we're trading picks for you, what kind of discount are we getting on the contract?' " a source said. "Well, why should [Revis] give somebody a discount when he can just wait it out and get his money? It makes no sense."Conversely, it's in the Jets' best interest to get this done sooner than later before interested teams run out of cap space, and before Revis has to report to the team for the offseason program.

- yahoo sports