Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: rex & 2013 ~ ~ ~

Quote Originally Posted by Pats1960 View Post
    I don't normally get into threads that don't involve my own team, but some times I make an exception. This is one of those times.

An NFL HC can have all of the bluster in the world, but it doesn't mean crap if you don't win and it makes you look like a total idiot when you lose. That's where Ryan has always been, and is why he never got the HC job in Baltimore.

As a Pats fan I hope he (and Mark Sanchez for that matter) has a very long career with the Jets. I doubt it though.
    I don't disagree with this .. Enjoy your ivory tower for the next 2-3 years.

Hall Of Fame
    This week we’re assembling, with the help of our partners at the Daily News, this year’s Training Camp Pullout Section, which will appear in the News this week and will be available to fans arriving at SUNY Cortland for the first practices open to the public beginning this Friday, July 26.In pulling together the content for this section, I spoke with several Jets assistant coaches, who gave of their time away from the Atlantic Health Training Center to discuss some of the things Jets fans can expect to see when they arrive at our upstate New York summer headquarters to watch practices.I also asked them to go back into their personal vaults for one or two poignant memories of training camps when they were the players and not the coaches. These reminiscences will not appear in the pullout, but we’ll pop several of them up here on the Radar over the next four days to whet everyone’s appetite for the footballs that are about to fly.

Batting leadoff is Anthony Lynn, the Jets’ running backs coach who has added the title of assistant head coach this year. Lynn opened his trip down memory lane by explaining why he feels the Cortland experience is important to the current crop of Jets.“Really, anytime you go off somewhere and get into this daily routine of dawn to dusk, it’s mentally challenging and physically challenging,” Lynn said. “You try to prepare your mind for it. You know it’s going to be hard.”How difficult is the experience ? Lynn went back to his playing days, when he and TE Shannon Sharpe and the rest of the Broncos in the late Nineties encamped at the University of Northern Colorado in Greeley.“I looked forward to those training camps, but I also prepared my mind mentally for them, too,” he said. “A lot of times you’d go to sleep in the dorm at night and the next morning you’d wake up and the guy next to you was not there. A lot of teams had ways to signal things like that. For us, Shannon Sharpe rang a bell that would wake everyone up. We heard the bell, we knew someone had tapped out.”

Some have argued that with the new rules in place, camp is not as tough as it was in those days. Lynn doesn’t see it that way.“In a way the rules have made it more intense,” he said. “When I played, we were in camp for five or six weeks. You could be a little more laid back because you had time.“Now camp is 3½, four weeks. It’s very intense. That’s why I like going away to Cortland. To me, that’s when the team is built, when the chemistry is set. You see who the leaders and who the followers are going to be. There’s nothing wrong with being a follower, but at training camp you see the leaders emerge. I always looked forward to that and I still do today.”

Grantland Celebrates Wilkerson

Grantland.com is the website started by ESPN personality Bill Simmons in 2011 that covers sports and pop culture. And recently Grantland trained its eye on Jets DE Muhammad Wilkerson in Robert Mays’ story headlined The All-22 All-Star Team: Muhammad Wilkerson and the New Versatility. It’s a thoughtful study on Mo’s game complete with Xs-and-Os type analysis and a few embedded videos.The All-22 Team, Mays explains, is an attempt to provide insight on the NFL’s 22 most underappreciated players, and Mo classifies as such, although the way he finished the second half of 2012, I don’t think he’ll continue to qualify in 2013. In a key paragraph in the piece, Mays explains why new Jets DC Dennis Thurman loves Wilkerson :

Plenty of players can shift between these two spots, but few have the strength to hold up in the 3-4 and the quickness to be truly effective in the 4-3. Fewer still can make that sack and then hold up as a nose guard just a few plays later. Outside of Justin Smith, it’s hard to think of a player who’s as useful in as many different roles. “There’s a saying that we have, ‘The more you can do,’ ” Thurman says. “The more you can do, the more you increase your value. And he has tremendous value.”

> http://blog.newyorkjets.com/2013/07/...olled-at-camp/

Hall Of Fame
    The big question facing the Jets as training camp begins is how the defense is going to change now that cornerback Darrelle Revis is in Tampa Bay. Judging by last season's statistics, the answer is "not much."Rex Ryan's defensive signature since being named head coach in 2009 has been forcing opponents to complete a low percentage of passes, just 52.6%, according to Pro-Football-Reference. The next best team during this same time frame: Green Bay, at 56.9%.

Revis, of course, was a key factor during most of this period for the Jets. But after Revis's season-ending knee injury against Miami in Week 3, last season became a long dress rehearsal for life without Revis. Despite getting just one full game from his All-NFL corner, Ryan's Jets still saw a higher rate of passes harmlessly hit the turf (53.8%) than all but one other team (Houston, at 53%). And it actually topped their performance in 2011 with Revis (54.2%).

While the 20 TD passes the Jets defense yielded to enemy passers was a far cry from their league-best eight in 2009, it still was better than the 24 they permitted in 2010. And their 3,036 passing yards allowed also ranked better than in 2010 and 2011.Rookie cornerback Dee Milliner was drafted to replace Revis, although he has yet to sign. The optimistic part for the Jets, if they can show slight improvement in the defensive backfield: Since 2002, no team that has led the NFL in completion percentage allowed has won fewer than nine games, and 10 of the 11 teams (including the Jets twice) have made the playoffs.

> http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...J_topics_obama

Hall Of Fame
    Rex Report : Clowney quip

Rex Ryan's job security is something the New York Jets coach doesn't like to speculate on, but he needs to perform well this season if he wants to stay in green.On Saturday, Ryan had a little fun with that when asked if he and general manager John Idzik ever discuss the future and developing personnel.

"The majority of our conversations are about the present," Ryan said. "I mean, hey, I know who's in the draft next year."If the Jets are bad enough in 2013 to draft Jadeveon Clowney next May, you'll see a new Gang Green coaching staff. So says Rex Ryan.

And then the line of day.

"It's safe to say I won't be here if we draft [Jadeveon] Clowney," Ryan said, pausing to smile. "I think we can say that without hesitation."

Clowney is the South Carolina defensive end who could be the No. 1 pick in the draft next year.When Idzik was told about the remark, the buttoned-down exec didn't balk. "That's pretty funny," he said.Ryan has two years left on his contract, which might have been a factor in Idzik's decision to keep him even as other Jets employees did not return. The Jets have missed the playoffs the past two seasons, but Ryan said he felt optimistic about this team, even if he couldn't offer specifics.

"How many wins? I don't know. We'll see," he said. "I know one thing: We're going to show up with everything we have. We're going to play that way, we're going to practice that way, and we're going to attend meetings the same way. We know we have to be at our very best, and I'm confident that we'll be there."

ONES AND TWOS : Mark Sanchez has played the first two days with the first-team offense and could play with them again Sunday as the Jets have their first day in pads. Ryan said rookie Geno Smith will have equal time with the ones as they compete for the starting quarterback spot."Right now, it's more of an introductory-type thing, whether it's with the ones or the twos," Ryan said. "Both guys are going to be given equal reps with the ones and twos."

SUPPORT FOR BERRY : Ryan opened by mentioning the season-ending injury to CB Aaron Berry on the first day of training camp. "We'll certainly miss him," Ryan said, "but he's still a Jet; there's no doubt about that."

DEPTH IN CORNERS : Ryan was asked to address the cornerback situation with Berry out. Ryan said Kyle Wilson is the second starter across from Antonio Cromartie, and next up he named Ellis Lankster, Darrin Walls and Isaiah Trufant.

LAURELS : Ryan mentioned a few standouts early, and first up was WR Clyde Gates. "When you're crossing the goal line with the ball, you have a tendency to notice the guy," Ryan said.Ryan said S Antonio Allen and S Jaiquawn Jarrett are both looking good while competing for the second safety spot. Other notables were Lankster, WR Vidal Hazelton and Wilson.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...t-clowney-quip

Hall Of Fame
    Observations from the press box :

1. Clock is ticking: QB Geno Smith made a good point Sunday. Working with the starters for the first time, he mentioned how beneficial it was to face the No. 1 defense. It's a tremendous learning experience for a rookie, facing a defense to changes fronts and disguises coverages. The downside: There won't be too many more opportunities. If the Jets name the starter after the second preseason game, the ideal timetable, it leaves only 12 practices (counting the Green & White scrimmage). That means six practices for Smith, six for Mark Sanchez with the first unit. And, of course, they'll play about two or three quarters apiece in the first two games -- not a whole lot of evaluation time for the coaches.

2. MartyBall: New offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg is challenging his players from a mental standpoint. At this stage of camp, he's installing 21 to 30 pass plays per day, along with four to eight running plays. That's a lot of Xs and Os. You wonder how they'll handle it once the lights go on. We should mention that he praised Sanchez and Smith for how they're grasping the system.

3. Dee for Dee-lay: Even though he declined to talk specifically about the Dee Milliner negotiations, GM John Idzik made it clear he has no interest in excluding offset language from a contract. That, of course, is the major hurdle in the Milliner negotiations. Milliner (No. 9 overall) and former Alabama teammate Chance Warmack (No. 10), of the Titans, are the only two unsigned first-round picks. People who know Idzik tell me he's a hardline negotiator. It's too early to panic, but if Milliner misses significant time, the cost will be magnified because he didn't participate in the offseason program as he recovered from shoulder surgery.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...arned-on-day-4

Hall Of Fame
    The Jets have invested a lot of resources in their defensive line -- three No. 1 picks -- and now they're expecting a big payoff. The goal, according to Quinton Coples, is to be the scourge of the NFL.Quinton Coples has high aspirations for the Jets' defensive line."No disrespect or discredit to any defensive front out there, but we want to be the best and make our own name," Coples said Monday.

Confident man, Coples.

"Why wouldn't I be?" he asked. "I see what we have, I see the talent we have. ... The sky is the limit."The line has tremendous potential, but it's important to keep it in perspective. The only proven player among the projected starters is Muhammad Wilkerson, who felt he should've made the Pro Bowl last season. After two years, he's already considered one of the top 3-4 defensive ends in the league.Coples posted a team-high 5.5 sacks as a rookie, but he's still learning. (Technically he's no longer listed as a defensive lineman, but he still lines up on the line in the nickel package.) Rookie Sheldon Richardson, selected 13th overall, has impressed in the early practices, but he played only two years at the major-college level.

Rex Ryan, a former defensive-line coach, loves the unit's potential. But he was careful not to gush too much."We have a long road before we say (it's the best)," he said. "How 'bout we play a couple of games? But they certainly are a talented group. They're a talented group, no question. You want your guys to have that kind of confidence, but to be the best, you have to show up every day."Ryan added: "It'll be interesting to see this group grow together. Could it be one of the best? If they keep working, I certainly hope so."The projected starters are Wilkerson, Richardson and NT Kenrick Ellis, a first-year starter. The elder statesman, Antonio Garay, said Ellis "hasn't even scratched the surface yet of how good he can be." Garay, who played with the Bears in 2006 and 2007, said Richardson reminds him of former Chicago DT Tommie Harris. Nice compliment. Garay, the wise vet, believes in the unit. But he's not ready to anoint it as the next Steel Curtain.

"Coaches and media tell us how good we can be, but it's not as good as we can be," he said. "Right now, we have all the potential in the world, but that doesn't mean anything without hard work."

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...to-be-the-best

Hall Of Fame
    1. Hurting at safety : In a mild surprise, Rex Ryan indicated that second-year player Antonio Allen is the leading contender to start opposite Dawan Landry at safety. Allen is ahead of former Eagle Jaiquawn Jarrett, with Josh Bush working behind Landry at the other spot. Ryan said some nice things about Allen, but also noted, "He's not there yet." Frankly, Ryan didn't sound sold. Allen played only 72 defensive snaps last season, the equivalent of one game. His skill set is similar to that of Landry, meaning they would have two "box" safeties in the lineup. I thought Bush would be a better complement to Landry because of his pass-coverage skills, but the Jets have other ideas.

2. Flying colors in the red zone : In the first red zone-heavy practice of camp, Geno Smith stood out with his ability to throw on the run and rifle passes into the end zone. He hit Jeremy Kerley on the run for an 11-yard TD and he found Stephen Hill in the back of the end zone with a seeing-eye laser. That opened plenty of eyes. A year ago, the Jets were awful inside the 20. Mark Sanchez threw four interceptions and compiled a 54.1 passer rating, according to ESPN Stats & Information. You can't win with those kind of numbers. It was only one practice, but Smith made an impression.

3. Easy does it : CB Dee Milliner finally made it to camp. We won't see him on the field until Wednesday (no practice Tuesday), and even then it won't be at full throttle. The Jets gave every indication they will be extremely cautious with their prized rookie, who hasn't participated in any football activity since Alabama's bowl game. The last thing they need is for him to pull a hamstring. He's already fighting an uphill climb. If he suffers a setback, the molehill will turn into a mountain, to paraphrase a Rex-ism.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...arned-on-day-5

Hall Of Fame
    If you go by all the things said about the New York Jets it would be easy to conclude that they have little chance of winning more than five or six games.

I spent a day with the team and was up-close at a full-padded practice and also sat down with a number of players, as well as the head coach and GM.

And I have to admit: I underestimated the potential of this team.

GENO OUT OF SHAPE?
    QB gassed in sprints, but does it matter?
    If the Jets can make the right decision at QB and get Santonio Holmes back on the field, they will surprise a lot of opponents. Rex Ryan's players are practicing and acting like their backs are to the wall and don't want to see their coach fired at the end of the season. All I can say at this point is watch out.

Here are some hings that jumped out at me from practice.

• The quarterback competition: There's no story bigger than the battle between Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith. At this point it doesn't appear to be dividing the team, but as the days go by it could become a problem. It appeared Mark Sanchez was pressing a bit as the day went on, and when you consider he has never been in a similar position as a pro, it is understandable but not acceptable. Smith was relaxed and threw the ball well in drills, but took a step backward in the team period. The good news is Smith really spins the ball, wants to sit in the pocket, and looks ready if the team was exclusively in the shotgun short pass game. Smith struggles to read coverage in the level 2 and level 3 passing game. I believe this is an open competition and must be decided before the third preseason game because the eventual starter is going to need a lot of reps to get ready for the season.

• Rex Ryan situation: I sat down with Rex for a good half hour and you would never know he's supposedly on the hot seat. Ryan's sense of humor was in rare form, and he is excited to be back heavily involved with the defense. I talked to a lot of players and I am convinced he has not lost the team. What will the Jet management do with Rex if he goes 8-8 or 9-7? Fire him like the Bears did Lovie Smith last year? Ryan has a 38-32 record and that could balloon to 46-40.

• Rebuild on defense: How many teams clean house on defense when they are ranked No. 8 in the NFL? The Jets will replace their nose tackle, a defensive end, an outside linebacker, an inside linebacker, and both safeties. On top of that they probably will have a new cornerback and outside linebacker. Imagine a defense with eight of 11 new players. After watching practice, the Jets could be better than last year, even with all the new players.

IDZIK TO HAVE SAY
    New GM to have 'big role' on deciding starting QB
    • The plan at running back: Shonn Greene had 276 carries last year and is no longer on the team. Recently acquired Chris Ivory is not ready for practice but will win the job and should get most, if not all of the Greene attempts. It was pointed out to me by Ryan and Idzik that Ivory has an unusually high number of explosive runs considering the limited work he got with the Saints.

• Rookie report: Two rookies will start on defense -- Dee Milliner at corner and Sheldon Richardson at DE. Richardson was very impressive in the live practice and could wind up with rookie defensive player of the year. On the offensive line, rookie Brian Winters has the best chance to crack the starting lineup. Tackle Oday Aboushi is not as far along as Winters but he will make the team as a swing tackle. He will not challenge Austin Howard for the starting job, however. At least four rookies will play important roles for the Jets this season.

• Position battles: Rex Ryan told me this was the season with the most competition he had on the roster in a long time, and there are a number of jobs up for grabs. Quarterbacks Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith are going throw for throw in every practice. Rookie OG Brian Winters is pressing veterans Willie Colon and Stephen Peterman for a starting job. I think the veterans hold off the rookies for the short term. Bilal Powell is not going to hand the running back spot to Chris Ivory, and until Ivory gets back on the field, Powell is making a statement he deserves the job. Rookie fullback Tommy Bohanon is giving Lex Hilliard a run for the money. Antonio Garay is a good veteran nose tackle that may make it tough for Kenrick Ellis at some point. Finally, at free safety, Antonio Allen and Josh Bush are battling for the lead.

• The importance of the West Coast fullback: Offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg is running a pure West Coast offense and that usually means the fullback needs receiving skills. I could see this team keeping two fullbacks, which is rare, but maybe the right idea considering the weak group of tight ends. Speaking of tight ends, Kellen Winslow needs to make this team if they want to threaten defenses. The sooner the franchise decides Winslow is a keeper, the sooner it can back him off this summer and save him for the regular season. In this offense he could catch 50 passes.

• Prediction: Last year the Jets were 6-10 and lost three games by a touchdown or less. This year there is controversy around the QB position which isn't good for the short term but may work out for the long term. There is a five-game stretch before the bye that includes Atlanta, Pittsburgh, New England, Cincinnati and New Orleans which could break the spirit of any team. This camp visit has convinced me this team is better than I thought before I got here, but it may not show up in the win column. A repeat of last year's record is possible and the right move would be to keep the coaching staff and try again in 2014, but we all know how this league works.

Things I saw or heard at practice:

1. Jet offensive coordinator, Marty Mornhinweg said 'we could have one of the better offensive lines in the NFL and we have some depth as well.'

2. Nick Mangold said making adjustments with the offensive line will be easier now that veterans Willie Colon and Stephen Peterman are on the roster. In fact he said the five starters are already discussing things a month ahead of schedule.

3. GM John Idzik said the QB competition is a true open competition, nothing has been decided at this point, and he and Rex will sit down at the appropriate time.

4. Rex Ryan is still heating up the pressure calls and may do even more now that he is more involved in the defense. Nick Mangold said the blitzes are already coming fast and furious.

5. Quinton Coples told me he is learning the pass coverage principles and he feels more comfortable with the zone calls instead of the man calls. He anticipates teams using spread sets to isolate him in coverage.

6. Greg McElroy looks pretty good in the new West Coast offense. He may not be in any QB conversation, but he really knows where to go with the ball and was sharp in the shallow cross passing game. In fact he was better than the two QBs competing for the starting job.

7. The defensive backs dominated the wide receivers in practice for the most part, but speedy Clyde Gates won more than he lost as a receiver.

8. Mark Sanchez simply doesn't spin the ball as well as Geno Smith. Smith can really throw the slant game and stands tall in the pocket and has a big over-the-top release.

9. Marty Mornhinweg feels Braylon Edwards brings a toughness to the receiver position. I was a little surprised by that comment.

10. QB coach David Lee is blending in some wildcat/pistol packages into the offense. It could be Jeremy Curley at QB.

11. Former rugby player Hayden Smith is competing for a tight spot for the second straight year, but struggled catching the ball in practice. The Jets may have to go outside the organization for a third tight end.

12. Calvin Pace blocked two Geno Smith passes in the team period of practice. Smith has to learn not to telegraph his release.

13. Safety Jaiquawn Jarrett made a very good play on a pass in the team red zone passing period, as well as making a couple of very big hits in practice.

14. Both Sanchez and Geno Smith had a lot of reps in the passing game outside the pocket.

15. The four-man rush on passing downs was LDE Calvin Pace, LDT Quinton Coples, RDT Mohammed Wilkerson RDE Antwan Barnes. They may be good enough that the club can limit their blitz calls.

16. Willie Colon made me laugh when he said 'I kind of had a history of holding and I gotta work on it.'

> http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/pa...-as-motivation

Hall Of Fame
    This should be interesting.

The Jets are expected to turn up the intensity in practice, with the first goal-line drill of training camp. It's real football, with live tackling. There's always a lot of pride on the line, offense versus defense. It could take place on a messy track, as the forecast calls for rain throughout most of the day. A memorable goal-line drill occurred in 2010, when HBO's "Hard Knocks" was in Cortland to document the Jets' training camp.

Kenrick Ellis
    Kenrick Ellis
    #93 DT
    New York Jets
    2012 STATS
    Tot
    Solo
    Ast
    FF
    Sack
    Int

Other storylines :

1. Road graders: We haven't focused too much on the offensive line in camp, but this is a unit in a semi-state of flux -- two new starters at guard. The "Ground & Pound" days might be gone, but running the ball remains important. We should learn something in the goal-line drill.

2. QB on the rebound: After a poor practice Wednesday, Mark Sanchez needs a bounce-back performance. He's slated to work with the starters, per the quarterback rotation, but he might not get too many chances if it's a run-heavy practice.

3. Special K: This could be a day for NT Kenrick Ellis to shine. He was unblockable in a recent practice, according to Rex Ryan. There's a lot of pressure on Ellis to replace well-respected vet Sione Po'uha, and he'll have to earn his pelts by stuffing the run.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...ing-camp-day-8

Hall Of Fame
    1. Preparing to hurry up: The Jets practiced the two-minute drill for the first time in camp. The results were mixed, as third-stringer Greg McElroy was the only quarterback to lead the offense to a touchdown, but this was a valuable teaching tool for both sides of the ball. The Jets need to be prepared to face hurry-up offenses because of the competition in the AFC East. As everybody knows, the Patriots run it. The Bills, with new coach Doug Marrone, are expected to play at a breakneck pace. Marrone introduced his version of the hurry-up last season at Syracuse, and his plan is to bring it to the NFL. The Jets should be ready for it.

2. Serious scrimmage: Rex Ryan said he's planning to play first-team offense versus first-team defense in Saturday night's Green & White scrimmage, a departure from previous years. With so many roster spots up for grabs, Ryan wants best on best as he evaluates players. For the most part, the starters faced the backups in past scrimmages, except for maybe a handful of plays. Clearly, Ryan wants to underscore the competition theme that has permeated the organization since John Idzik arrived. Ryan said he has never been around a team with this many spots still undecided. It should make it fun for spectators.

3. Shortage in the backfield: I sensed some frustration in Ryan's voice as he discussed Chris Ivory, who still hasn't participated in team drills because of a hamstring injury that occurred before camp. Ryan admitted, "I thought it would be progressing a little bit better than he has." Ivory's injury, coupled with Mike Goodson's absence, makes them perilously thin at running back. It's early, but I wouldn't be surprised if they start looking around the league for help. Keep an eye on the Packers; they have a crowded backfield.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...arned-on-day-8

Hall Of Fame
    Let’s get right to today’s report on training camp from Cortland, NY :

RICKY SAPP CAN GET TO THE QUARTERBACK: In what one of the reporters described as the “worst practice so far”, Ricky Sapp was drawing attention for the right reasons. He recorded 2 sacks today, and observers basically said he was in the backfield before they could blink. If he can stay healthy, Ricky will be a huge asset.

DALTON FREEMAN CARTED OFF: This could be a big blow. We all know how the Jets have lacked in depth on the offensive line, and Dalton was having a great camp. He had been competing for the position of Nick Mangold’s backup, and could not put any weight on his right leg. He was carted off, we will bring more info as we have it.

IVORY STILL OUT: Chris Ivory is still not on the field. He came out today with pads, but did not even participate in team drills. It’s not time to be that nervous, that will come if he isn’t able to suit up against the Lions next weekend. For what it’s worth, Rex had hoped that Chris would be farther along.

WEAK GOALINE OFFENSE: Today became the big day, where the team worked on goaline drills. It’s a fun day to watch, as the pads popping gets everyone excited. However, the offense did not look good. The day was riddled with penalties, and unsuccessful plays. The defensive line dominated stuffing many of the running plays that the Jets tried down deep.

WINSLOW AND EDWARDS PITCH COUNT: Both Kellen Winslow and Braylon Edwards did not practice today. Not to worry, however, as the only reason for that is that the Jets are monitoring both of these guys, limiting their time. Remember, they did the same with Landry last season, and that worked out pretty well.

SANCHEZ STEPS IT UP A NOTCH: If Geno Smith is going to win the QB competition, it won’t be without a fight. Mark Sanchez is stepping up his play, especially over the last couple of practices. Most onlookers agreed that Mark won the day, especially in 7 on 7s. Many fans won’t talk about that, but I will.

Tomorrow, our buddy Craig Hoffman will have a recap from the Green and White game, as he will be in attendance.

> http://thejetpress.com/2013/08/02/th...ing-camp-8213/

Hall Of Fame
    Always entertaining the first day of short yardage/goal line because that’s really the first day of full tackling and everything else. Certainly we had some good hits, we had a lot of collisions. That’s always fun to watch and it’s important because that’s what this game’s about. I thought the offense got the upper hand in the short-yardage period. I thought the defense had it in the goal line. We had one guy go down with, I’m not sure what it is, Dalton Freeman at the end there, the young man from Clemson, our center, we’ll see what the trainers say about that.But again, there’s only one way to practice it and that’s to go full speed. You can’t get the reps. You may say, well, you'll get it in the preseason. There’s no guarantee. One year, when I was in Baltimore, we had six plays of goal line defense the entire season because people sometimes don’t run that. Sometimes they’re running three wides, four wides, whatever down there. But the only time you get to practice it, you may get to practice it, is right now in training camp,. so you have to go full speed. You have to be live cutting, live tackling, and we did that today.

I thought Ricky Sapp jumped out at me, had a tremendous day. Probably had four or five sacks, what would’ve been sacks. And then Mo [Muhammad Wilkerson], Big Mo on the defensive line. It’s good to see Dee Milliner out there getting more work, getting some work and doing that. On the offense, I was proud of Stephen Hill. He’s had some illness. If it was anything like what I had the other day, I’m real proud that he came back from that. That was impressive. Oh you know what? I wasn’t going to praise him, so take it all back. Not praising [him]. That’s all off the record there. Appreciate that. But really, I thought he jumped out.I love the presence of Willie Colon. He brings a mentality and there’s a certain presence that he has out there, that you’re glad he’s on your side. He’s out there marking a spot out across that line in goal line and here we go. He’s certainly a confident guy. He’s that guy you want in that foxhole with you. Now obviously it needs to be a big foxhole, but he’s certainly a guy you want in there with you.

On how the quarterbacks will share time during the Green & White Scrimmage…

I haven’t talked to Marty [Mornhinweg] yet, but knowing him he’s probably already thought about exactly what he’d like to get done there.

On if both quarterbacks will play with the ones during Green & White….

I’m sure that’ll definitely be a part of it, for sure. They’ll both get time with ones and twos.

On the poise Geno Smith showed in the long pass he completed to Bilal Powell in practice today…

It did show poise. Sometimes if those guys continue to the ground because they’re the only ones that aren’t live. But no, he certainly does. There’s no question about that. It was a great play. Marty’s been setting us up the whole time, setting that defense up with this pass, this pass, now he turned it up. Got a flag on the play also, we grabbed the receiver. It was a great play. Great design by Marty and well executed by the offense.

On the defensive line during goal line drills…

Well, yeah, Big Mo, he was impressive to say the least down there. But really all the guys, that’s the thing, that D-line, you got to create a new jump line, that’s what we used to call it. You got to create a new line of scrimmage or you’re not going to be able to stop people. Last year, we struggled. Teams were able to the run the ball down there on us some, so hopefully we have to get better at that. Hopefully today was an indication that we will be stronger against the run down there.

On the status of Joe McKnight…

I’m not real sure. I haven’t really talked to the trainers yet. I really don’t want to speculate, but I think if it was something serious I’m sure I would have been told.

On the depth at running back…

I haven’t really noticed per se. We picked up the young man [Chad] Spann. We’re actually using Lex [Hilliard] and Tommy [Bohanon] sometimes in those one-back sets. When Chris [Ivory] comes back obviously you’ll feel a little bit better about our depth.

On if he thinks the quarterbacks could separate themselves during the Green & White Scrimmage…

I don’t think you’re going to necessarily separate yourself to say, ‘Oh, here’s the starter.’ I think you have to get it in the games. We’ll see. Certainly its going to be another opportunity to get out there. I think it is when the fans are there, the spirit of the fans and everything else are right there, it does pick up. You can say what you want, the tempo does naturally pick up. So that’ll be fun to watch. It will be the first time we have scrimmage situations other than goal line and short yardage that are live. We had a little live with the third group. I’m looking forward to that.

On Geno Smith not practicing other aspects other than dropping as often…
    Again, so often compared to what? This league, we might be doing preparation, defensive preparation work because certainly were going to have to face that with some of the teams that we play. How much we do of it, with Geno back there or Mark, or whoever it is back there, remains to be seen. But certainly we’ll be prepared for it on defense.

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...9-13e9f5892c33

Hall Of Fame
    1. Gotta go to Mo: From a media standpoint, DE Muhammad Wilkerson is having a relatively quiet camp. Most of the attention has focused on the quarterbacks, the running backs and the quotable pass catchers, Braylon Edwards and Kellen Winslow. But on the field, Wilkerson is making plenty of noise. On Friday, he dominated the point of attack in a live goal-line drill. He tends to get overlooked because he doesn't say a whole lot, but Wilkerson is one of the best players on the team and a rising star in the league. Hopefully, he doesn't become one of those take-him-for-granted players.

2. Safety in numbers: The other starting job at safety -- the guy not named Dawan Landry -- still remains up in the air. Antonio Allen has been taking most of the reps with the first unit, but he hasn't put a stranglehold on the position. On Friday, we saw Jaiquawn Jarrett get a lot of work with the starters, including the starting nickel package. Jarrett is an interesting guy. He was a second-round pick of the Eagles in 2011, but he was cut in 2012. It's unusual for a second-rounder to get dumped that quickly. The Jets signed him to a reserve-future contract the day after the '12 season ended, so technically, he was discovered by the Mike Tannenbaum regime. Landry may be the only starting-caliber safety on the roster, but Jarrett is getting a chance to show he belongs.

3. Saturday night's all right: The Jets will hold their annual Green & White scrimmage Saturday night at SUNY Cortland, and you can already tell there will be too much attention focused on the performances of Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith. It's only a scrimmage, folks. The quarterback doesn't get hit, and you can't evaluate a quarterback until he faces the prospect of getting bashed in the mouth. Yes, we might learn a thing or two about Smith, but let's remember to keep it in perspective.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...arned-on-day-9

Hall Of Fame
    Transcript of head coach Rex Ryan's afternoon news conference following the Jets' Friday morning training camp practice at SUNY Cortland :

Always entertaining the first day of short yardage/goal line because that’s really the first day of full tackling and everything else. Certainly we had some good hits, we had a lot of collisions. That’s always fun to watch and it’s important because that’s what this game’s about. I thought the offense got the upper hand in the short-yardage period. I thought the defense had it in the goal line. We had one guy go down with, I’m not sure what it is, Dalton Freeman at the end there, the young man from Clemson, our center, we’ll see what the trainers say about that.But again, there’s only one way to practice it and that’s to go full speed. You can’t get the reps. You may say, well, you'll get it in the preseason. There’s no guarantee. One year, when I was in Baltimore, we had six plays of goal line defense the entire season because people sometimes don’t run that. Sometimes they’re running three wides, four wides, whatever down there. But the only time you get to practice it, you may get to practice it, is right now in training camp,. so you have to go full speed. You have to be live cutting, live tackling, and we did that today.

I thought Ricky Sapp jumped out at me, had a tremendous day. Probably had four or five sacks, what would’ve been sacks. And then Mo [Muhammad Wilkerson], Big Mo on the defensive line. It’s good to see Dee Milliner out there getting more work, getting some work and doing that. On the offense, I was proud of Stephen Hill. He’s had some illness. If it was anything like what I had the other day, I’m real proud that he came back from that. That was impressive. Oh you know what? I wasn’t going to praise him, so take it all back. Not praising [him]. That’s all off the record there. Appreciate that. But really, I thought he jumped out.I love the presence of Willie Colon. He brings a mentality and there’s a certain presence that he has out there, that you’re glad he’s on your side. He’s out there marking a spot out across that line in goal line and here we go. He’s certainly a confident guy. He’s that guy you want in that foxhole with you. Now obviously it needs to be a big foxhole, but he’s certainly a guy you want in there with you.
    On how the quarterbacks will share time during the Green & White Scrimmage…

I haven’t talked to Marty [Mornhinweg] yet, but knowing him he’s probably already thought about exactly what he’d like to get done there.
    On if both quarterbacks will play with the ones during Green & White….
    I’m sure that’ll definitely be a part of it, for sure. They’ll both get time with ones and twos.
    On the poise Geno Smith showed in the long pass he completed to Bilal Powell in practice today…
    It did show poise. Sometimes if those guys continue to the ground because they’re the only ones that aren’t live. But no, he certainly does. There’s no question about that. It was a great play. Marty’s been setting us up the whole time, setting that defense up with this pass, this pass, now he turned it up. Got a flag on the play also, we grabbed the receiver. It was a great play. Great design by Marty and well executed by the offense.
    On the defensive line during goal line drills…

Well, yeah, Big Mo, he was impressive to say the least down there. But really all the guys, that’s the thing, that D-line, you got to create a new jump line, that’s what we used to call it. You got to create a new line of scrimmage or you’re not going to be able to stop people. Last year, we struggled. Teams were able to the run the ball down there on us some, so hopefully we have to get better at that. Hopefully today was an indication that we will be stronger against the run down there.

On the status of Joe McKnight…
    I’m not real sure. I haven’t really talked to the trainers yet. I really don’t want to speculate, but I think if it was something serious I’m sure I would have been told.
    On the depth at running back…
    I haven’t really noticed per se. We picked up the young man [Chad] Spann. We’re actually using Lex [Hilliard] and Tommy [Bohanon] sometimes in those one-back sets. When Chris [Ivory] comes back obviously you’ll feel a little bit better about our depth.
    On if he thinks the quarterbacks could separate themselves during the Green & White Scrimmage…
    I don’t think you’re going to necessarily separate yourself to say, ‘Oh, here’s the starter.’ I think you have to get it in the games. We’ll see. Certainly its going to be another opportunity to get out there. I think it is when the fans are there, the spirit of the fans and everything else are right there, it does pick up. You can say what you want, the tempo does naturally pick up. So that’ll be fun to watch. It will be the first time we have scrimmage situations other than goal line and short yardage that are live. We had a little live with the third group. I’m looking forward to that.
    On Geno Smith not practicing other aspects other than dropping as often…

Again, so often compared to what? This league, we might be doing preparation, defensive preparation work because certainly were going to have to face that with some of the teams that we play. How much we do of it, with Geno back there or Mark, or whoever it is back there, remains to be seen. But certainly we’ll be prepared for it on defense.

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...9-13e9f5892c33

Hall Of Fame
    Both Geno Smith and Mark Sanchez had their moments Saturday Night, but the player who stood out the most for the first team offense was running back Bilal Powell.“I thought Bilal Powell really jumped out on offense,” said Rex Ryan after the team’s annual Green & White Scrimmage.

The Jets, who amassed more than 400 yards of total offense, came out in attack mode. Marty Mornhinweg put Smith in the shotgun and the rookie looked sharp on the opening possession against the first team defense. But it was Powell’s legs that gave the Jets their biggest chunk as the shifty third-year back ran for 24 yards.“The offensive line did a great job,” Powell told me. “It was a great call by Coach Mornhinweg and Lex Hilliard had a great block on the Mike. He sprung me for a decent run.”But the Jets wasted a golden opportunity to score when a pair of offensive penalties pushed them back including one that took a Powell three-yard scoring run off the board. On that play, Powell took a Wildcat snap from Nick Mangold and found a crease for an apparent TD.

“I just think we should eliminate the mistakes down in the red zone — the flags and I think we’ll be fine going into the season,” he said.With Chris Ivory (hamstring) and Joe McKnight unavailable for action, Powell again showcased his ability to make things happen in the open field later in the first half as he scooted for a long gain on a screen pass.“Coach (Anthony Lynn) always emphasizes making a guy miss in this league and that’s one of the things that I want to improve on this year — making guys miss and having more explosive runs,” Powell said.

In three series with the starters, Smith unofficially finished 9-of-16 for 79 yards and led one field goal drive. His fourth down shovel pass to Powell fell incomplete from the 2 on that first drive as the Jets elected to go for six instead of settle for a field goal.When Smith has time to throw, he continues to showcase a powerful NFL arm and he delivers an accurate ball. But the West Virginia product would have liked to see more points to show for his drives.“I think it went well. I think guys did a great job of competing,” he said. “I think we ran the ball fairly well. We were able to move the ball down the field. We got a chance I think about two or three times in the redzone. We weren’t able to capitalize and get touchdowns. That’s something we’ll need to improve on.”

Sanchez had his moments as well. Unofficially the fifth-year veteran finished 6 of 11 for 91 yards, ending the night with a gorgeous 57-yard TD to Stephen Hill. But Sanchez was also intercepted by Antonio Cromartie and he appeared to be too high on an end zone pass to Clyde Gates.“Cro made a hell of a play on one of them and just beat the receiver over there,” Sanchez said. “Stephen Hill went out there and got one for me, which was nice. Marty is really stressing that we want to be able to push the field and get the ball up the field vertically.”Rex Ryan was pleased with his team’s overall effort in the scrimmage. And while the QB competition continues to captivate, the soft-spoken Powell gave all a reminder tonight of his ability.

“We know the kind of back he is,” Ryan said. “But I think now — obviously with the opportunity he’s been given — he’s really taking the reins.”

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...e-c3986d89e2eb

Hall Of Fame
    MMQB Peter King & Rex Ryan ( video ) :

> http://mmqb.si.com/2013/08/01/geno-s...mp/?xid=si_nfl

Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post
    Both Geno Smith and Mark Sanchez had their moments Saturday Night, but the player who stood out the most for the first team offense was running back Bilal Powell.“I thought Bilal Powell really jumped out on offense,” said Rex Ryan after the team’s annual Green & White Scrimmage.
    [/url]
    Powell's going to have a breakout year for us. I predict 900+ yards rushing, 7-9 tds and 200+ yards receiving. Only thing holding back Powell's stats from being truly studly is that ivory may get healthy at some point during the season.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Powell's going to have a breakout year for us. I predict 900+ yards rushing, 7-9 tds and 200+ yards receiving. Only thing holding back Powell's stats from being truly studly is that ivory may get healthy at some point during the season.
    i hope you're right ...but, i'm afraid ivory is going to continue to have " injury issues "

Hall Of Fame
    The New York Jets haven’t faced expectations this low since 2006, when they hired a relatively anonymous New England Patriots assistant named Eric Mangini. Somehow, they made the playoffs under the baby-faced head coach.

The odds of duplicating that this season are about the same as seeing two Butt Fumbles in one lifetime.

Even the bombastic Rex Ryan, who once guaranteed a Super Bowl, has refrained from delivering a headline-making prediction. The Jets are rated in many power polls as a bottom-five team, but that stoked Ryan’s fire to only a medium flame.

“If you’re a competitor, how does that thing not get to you?” Ryan said. “How does that not motivate you? It’s almost like, ‘Well, OK, we’re going to show you.’”

In the not-so-old days, Ryan would’ve said something like, “We’ll see who has the egg on their face when we’re in the playoffs.”

Ryan has toned it down because he recognizes the enormity of the challenge.

Camp Confidential: AFC East

• Dolphins
    • Patriots
    • Bills
    • Jets

• Training camp page
    The Jets, coming off a dysfunctional, Tim Tebow-obsessed 6-10 season, are rebuilding. New general manager John Idzik parted ways with 11 starters (including All-Pro cornerback Darrelle Revis), tore apart the front office and changed the culture.

Idzik, hired even though he has little background in personnel, instilled a buttoned-down, almost paranoid environment in an organization once known for its wacky ways.

The circus is gone. The Kremlin is here.

It’s a change for the fun-loving Ryan, but he has bought in because he’s coaching for his job. He joked recently that if the Jets are in position to draft Jadeveon Clowney, the presumptive No. 1 pick in 2014, he won’t be around to see it.

Earth to Ryan: You won’t be around if you finish with as many as six wins. Idzik inherited Ryan, at the urging of owner Woody Johnson, and he will hire his own man if the team shows no improvement.

In a way, Ryan is in an almost impossible situation. His roster was gutted, leaving a team many scouts believe has only four top-tier players: cornerback Antonio Cromartie, defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson, center Nick Mangold and left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson.

Throw in a potential quarterback controversy, and you’re looking at a long year in New York.

THREE HOT ISSUES

[+] Enlarge
    AP Photo/Rich Schultz"He can do more" than Mark Sanchez, one veteran player said of rookie quarterback Geno Smith.
    1. Who plays quarterback? The competition is billed as Mark Sanchez versus Geno Smith. In reality, it’s Smith versus Smith. It’s his job to win. If the second-round pick proves capable of functioning in an NFL offense, he’ll be the opening-day starter.

Sanchez will start the first preseason game, but his performance is virtually meaningless. The Jets know what he can and can’t do, and it has been a “can’t-do” situation over the past two seasons. If it weren’t for an $8.25 million guarantee, he probably would have been cut loose in the offseason.

The organization wants a fresh start at quarterback. It went into camp thinking Sanchez would win by default, but Smith, shaking off a lackluster spring, has impressed with his arm strength, accuracy and athleticism. “He can do more” than Sanchez, one veteran player said. The question is whether or not Smith can handle it from a mental and maturity standpoint. When his brain catches up to his arm, it’ll be his team.

2. How will they score points? The Jets finished 28th in scoring last season, and they will be hard pressed to improve that ranking. They have a suspect cast of skill-position players, including past-their-prime pass-catchers (Braylon Edwards and Kellen Winslow), a lead back who’s never had more than 137 carries in a season (Chris Ivory) and an injured former Super Bowl hero who may never be the same (Santonio Holmes).

New offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg is an experienced playcaller, but it’s hard to call plays when you don’t have the talent. The Jets need productive seasons out of wide receiver Stephen Hill and tight end Jeff Cumberland, who have a combined total of 53 career receptions. Holmes could be a factor at some point, but he probably won’t be ready for Week 1 as he continues to rehab a surgically repaired foot. Get the picture? It looks bleak.

Because of the uncertainty at quarterback and the lack of playmakers on the perimeter, the Jets absolutely must be a strong running team. That’s not out of the question -- the line is solid -- but they will see a heavy dose of eight-man fronts and run-blitzing defenses.

3. Can Ryan hold it together? After back-to-back seasons out of the playoffs, Ryan faces a make-or-break year. He has two years left on his contract, meaning he’ll be extended or fired after the season. He has no previous background with Idzik, making it a tenuous situation.

Thinking self-preservation, Ryan has taken control of the defense, becoming the de facto coordinator. He did it this way in 2009, when he felt most comfortable as a head coach. He’ll leave the offense to Mornhinweg, whose pass-happy philosophy might not be a good fit with Ryan’s defensive-oriented approach.

[+] Enlarge
    Rich Barnes/USA TODAY SportsRex Ryan, left, will likely need more than last season's six wins if he wants new general manager John Idzik, right, to keep him around.
    Ryan’s job security will be an issue throughout the season, especially if the Jets get off to a bad start against a tough schedule. It could become a feeding frenzy for the New York media. It may not be playoffs or bust, but another losing season probably will mean the end of the Ryan era.

REASON FOR OPTIMISM

Once again, the Jets will rely on their defense -- and that’s not such a bad thing.

Under Ryan, they’ve finished no worse than eighth in total defense, and they have the talent to keep the streak alive. There could be some growing pains as Ryan integrates seven new starters, but the unit should get stronger as the season progresses.

Revis is gone, traded to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, but the Jets will be OK outside with Cromartie and top pick Dee Milliner. They’re good enough to play man-to-man coverage, which will allow Ryan to crank up his blitzing schemes.

They don’t have a big-time pass-rusher -- the glaring deficiency -- but this is the most athletic defensive line of the Ryan era. And it should be, considering they’ve drafted linemen in the past three first rounds. If Quinton Coples and rookie Sheldon Richardson develop as quickly as Wilkerson, already one of the league’s best 3-4 ends, this group will be fun to watch.

REASON FOR PESSIMISM

The NFL is a quarterback-driven league, and the Jets’ quarterback situation is as murky as any in the league. It’s a controversy waiting to happen.

Sanchez still has the loyalty of a few holdovers in the locker room, but there are many players intrigued by Smith’s skill set. If Sanchez wins the job and struggles, it could create a division in the locker room.

Nothing drains the energy out of a team more than a quarterback mess. It happened last year with Sanchez and Tebow, although this could be more volatile because Smith -- unlike Tebow -- can actually play the position.

Sanchez has lost the home fans, who booed him mercilessly last season. If the toxicity carries over to this season, it will create a bad vibe, and that can bring down an entire team. A difficult first-half schedule won’t help matters.

OBSERVATION DECK

•The Jets are relying on several players with recent injury histories, including Winslow (limited in camp), Edwards (limited), Holmes, guard Willie Colon, wide receiver Clyde Gates and kick returner Joe McKnight. That’s always a dicey proposition.

•The Jets have been spoiled for two decades at running back, but not anymore. This marks the first time since 1994 that no one on the roster has a 1,000-yard season in his career. It will be backfield by committee, with Ivory (yet to practice because of a hamstring injury), Bilal Powell and McKnight. Mike Goodson was supposed to be a key player, but he’s dealing with undisclosed personal issues and didn’t report to camp. Powell, a pleasant surprise, could end up as the lead back.

•Remember all the talk last summer about Tebow and the Wildcat? It was all hot air, as the Jets barely used him. Tebow is gone, but the plan remains. They will use the Wildcat with Powell or wide receiver Jeremy Kerley, and they plan to use the read option with Smith. Ironic, huh?

•Ryan and defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman will keep opponents guessing by employing different looks. The Jets remain a 3-4 base defense, but don’t be surprised if they mix in 4-3 fronts. They will blitz a lot more than last season, count on it. You also could see three cornerbacks (Kyle Wilson lining up as a safety) in certain base packages.

•Wilkerson doesn’t garner too many headlines because he doesn’t say much, but he’s a special talent. He felt he deserved to go to the Pro Bowl last season; he’s ready to break through in ’13.

•Mornhinweg, a Bill Walsh disciple, employs a West Coast offense, but he’s not the stereotypical West Coast guru. He’s an aggressive playcaller and will take deep shots. That should bode well for Hill, a vertical threat who has matured after a disappointing rookie year.

•The Jets could have three rookies in the opening day lineup -- Smith, Milliner and Richardson. The last time they had as many as two was 2006, Ferguson and Mangold. By the end of the year, Brian Winters could be starting at left guard. It could be a watershed draft

•Looking for a sleeper? Keep an eye on second-year linebacker Demario Davis, who replaces Bart Scott. Davis is terrific in pass coverage, so good in space that Ryan is thinking about keeping his base defense on the field against certain three-receiver packages.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...ew-york-jets-3

Hall Of Fame
    Jets Head Coach Rex Ryan Faces Several Obstacles

New York's question marks : Mark Sanchez vs. Geno Smith, defense, running back

On the day the Jets' players and coaches reported to SUNY-Cortland for training camp, Rex Ryan practically bounded, Tigger-like, through the quadrangle to greet reporters, so happy was he to be back there.

Ryan loves the tradition—rarer in the NFL these days, thanks to the proliferation of high-tech and antiseptic practice facilities—of holding training camp in the relatively spartan conditions of a remote college campus. The players stay in dorms. There are fewer distractions. They can focus on football and get back to basics and cultivate camaraderie among themselves. So the clichés go, anyway.

But even then, Ryan acknowledged that this camp would be unlike his previous four as the Jets' head coach. His contract expires after next season and a second consecutive losing record is likely to put his job in jeopardy, if it isn't already. Expectations were as low as they've been for the team since Ryan became coach. "Maybe there's a little more to" this camp, he said.

Over the two weeks that passed between that afternoon and the Jets' preseason opener Friday here against the Detroit Lions, little has gotten easier for Ryan. August is a time of uncertainty for every NFL team, but the Jets have more to worry about than most teams do, and the most troubling aspects aren't difficult to find.

The starting quarterback situation: Any hope that Ryan and his offensive coaches might have had, about the choice between Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith being an easy one, has dissipated. Sanchez, who started Friday's game, has had a consistently strong camp. After Smith zoomed through his first few lessons in the West Coast offense, his development has slowed in recent days.

The tricky part for Ryan is that, as much as the Jets' power people may want to see Smith win the job, the players have eyes. They will know who will give the Jets the best chance to win games. Sanchez still has enough support among his teammates that, if Smith were to struggle after being named the starter, Ryan would probably have to keep a dreaded "quarterback controversy" from dividing the locker room.

The disappearing running backs: Entering training camp, Ryan and general manager John Idzik had anticipated that running back would be a position of depth. It's hardly one now.

Chris Ivory hasn't practiced yet because of a hamstring injury. He didn't even make the trip to Detroit. Mike Goodson, arrested in May on weapons- and drug-possession charges, hasn't reported to camp, but the Jets won't disclose why. Joe McKnight failed a conditioning test at the beginning of camp, then sustained a head injury and hasn't practiced in a week. Bilal Powell has been getting most of the repetitions with the first-team offense, and at this rate, he'll collapse from exhaustion by Week 3.

The Lisfranc factor: Santonio Holmes, the best of a meager bunch of Jets wide receivers, displaced a bone in his left foot in September and hasn't played since. There's still no indication when he'll be ready to play this season.

The risks that Ryan is taking with the defense: Since Ryan became coach in 2009, the Jets have never finished worse than eighth in the NFL in overall defense, so if there's one area of the team he should feel secure about, this is probably it. That said, he's planning to implement some unorthodox ideas, such as playing Quinton Coples, a 280-pound defensive end, at linebacker and using one natural safety (Dawan Landry) in some formations. It may take some time for these measures to improve the defense, assuming they do at all.

The impression that Ryan has lost influence: When Idzik said that he would have a "pretty big role" in the quarterback decision, it suggested that Ryan no longer had the final say-so on the lineup. It also fed the perception—and perhaps the reality—that Ryan is no longer the dominant figure in the franchise.

> http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...J_topics_obama