Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: rex & 2013 ~ ~ ~

Hall Of Fame
    In eager anticipation of the 2013 NFL season, Baltimore Sun blogger and reporter Matt Vensel will take a daily look at one of the 13 opponents on the Ravens’ regular-season schedule. Today is the New York Jets.A few years ago, it looked like Ravens-Jets might become one of the best non-divisional rivalries in the NFL. The Jets hired Rex Ryan, the defensive coordinator for the Ravens who was edged out by John Harbaugh for the head-coaching job in Baltimore, and Ryan brought his swagger to the Big Apple. The two teams were similar and successful, and it looked like they could bump into each other in the playoffs. But the Jets have fallen and Ryan might be coaching for his job when the Jets come to Baltimore in Week 12 -- if he still has a job then.

Recapping 2012 : The Jets’ season can be summed up in two words: butt fumble. New York's season was pretty much in the tank when the 4-6 Jets played the New England Patriots on Thanksgiving night. In that ugly loss, Sanchez secured himself a permanent spot on NFL blooper reels when he ran into the backside of one of his linemen, fumbled the ball and watched the Patriots return it for a touchdown. It was a microcosm of the season for the Jets, who led the NFL with 37 turnovers. The Jets finished 6-10, ranked 28th in scoring offense and their defense, which lost star cornerback Darrell Revis in September, was 20th in points against.

Cha-cha-changes : The Jets fired general manager Mike Tannenbaum after the season and replaced him with John Idzik. But Ryan was spared and the Jets kept Sanchez, the fifth overall pick in 2009, around, too. They did bring in competition for Sanchez, though, selecting West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith in the second round of the draft. Those weren’t the only changes. The Jets traded Revis, the NFL’s best cornerback, to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and used their two first-round picks on Alabama cornerback Dee Milliner and Missouri defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson. They also traded for New Orleans Saints running back Chris Ivory.

The skinny : The Jets should be bad in 2013. Ryan is a lame-duck coach who could lose the locker room, if he hasn’t already. Sanchez needs a change of scenery and will likely lose his job to Smith at some point this season. The defense will be OK, but losing Revis really hurts. The Jets, who also have major salary cap issues, are a team in transition that should contend … for the No. 1 overall pick in 2014.

Recent history : The Ravens and Jets have played twice since Ryan joined the Jets. The Ravens won a hard-hitting 10-9 game in the 2010 season opener and beat the Jets, 34-17, the following season. They haven't played since. The Ravens lead the all-time series, 7-1.

Degree of difficulty : Because of Ryan’s struggles, this could-have-been rivalry has fizzled out. Rex probably won’t have much to boast or brag about when his brings his Jets to Baltimore. He will have even less when they leave town. This is the easiest game on the Ravens’ schedule and they should be heavily favored to win. I’ll set the degree of difficulty at a pathetic one out of 10

> http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/b...,1048712.story

What a crap article. Already writing the jets off as a team worthy of the #1 pick in 2014.

That article sure licks balls. Just another hack wanting to ingratiate himself with hometown fans.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SRQman87 View Post
    What a crap article. Already writing the jets off as a team worthy of the #1 pick in 2014.
    " ...#1 pick in 2014. " ? ? ?

....so we get Teddy Bridgewater

Jets Insider VIP
    Smith> Bridgewater

Sure hope there are many team out there who are looking at the Jets as a pushover. Too early to speak about the offense, but it sure appears that this is going to be a very tough defense to face.

Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post
    " ...#1 pick in 2014. " ? ? ?

....so we get Teddy Bridgewater
    Ah, so you're one of those fans who wants us to suck to get a good draft pick.

Pathetic SOJF.

Hall Of Fame
    The fact that Rex Ryan is garnering ESPN coverage in July shows he's made for TV.

Wherever he is headed, Rex Ryan isn’t going quietly.

On a steamy July Tuesday, there was a bug-eyed Ryan on the front page of the Daily News, running (sort of) with the bulls in Spain.The following night on ESPN’s “SportsCenter,” in the middle of baseball season and NBA free agency, the focus again was on Ryan. All this attention for the lamest of ducks with a team destined to reside on the NFL’s version of Skid Row.

So ?

That’s not why ESPN did this lengthy feature on the “Best of Rex,” which only included highlights of him delivering one-liners to boss scribes. Think about this. ESPN is dedicating all this time to Ryan — in early July.And not even one shot of him on prowling the sideline. When anchor John Anderson asked Herman Edwards if he thought “a coach should be out there running with the bulls” it wasn’t hard to figure why Rex was running. “That’s Rex. He’s out there having fun,” Edwards said. “He has a personality.”

Right. A big one. Edwards, and the rest of these high-profile NFL TV analysts, better keep both eyes on him. For none of them, not one, can bring it the way Ryan does. They better hope the Jets somehow have the kind of season that would inspire John Idzik to bring Ryan back in 2015. Or that Ryan gets another coaching job.If the big man lands on the beach after this season he will be hired for one of these studio shows — unless the decision-makers aren’t thinking straight.

Unless they are satisfied with the sleep-inducing drivel leaving the mouths of some of these former players and coaches who they overpay to take up space on “Fox’s NFL Sunday,” ESPN’s “Sunday Countdown,” CBS’ “The NFL Today” NFL Network’s “GameDay” or NBC’s “Football Night In America.”

We are not suggesting Ryan’s “run” was calculated for publicity purposes. It really doesn’t matter why it went down. All the attention revealed another side of Ryan. He’s not backing down, hiding in a dark room watching video in some cosmetic effort to save his gig. He’s taking his kind of vacation, which turns into national news.And the best part of this is how it infuriated some of the local media, especially those who long ago bestowed sainthood on the Giants organization. You could hear it throughout the Valley of the Stupid: “Tom Coughlin would never do that.” No, Coughlin has better things to do. Like trying to figure out a way to prevent another second-half collapse. Good for him.

He’s not made for TV.

Rex Ryan is.

> http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1398065

All Pro
    What is boggling my mind is what is the mind set of Woody & the GM regarding Rex and the future. Obviously Woody fired Tannenbaum and hired Idzik. Rex was not let go. But how are they going to judge Rex this year? Playoffs or bust? W/L record? Overall production of the team or is it just letting Rex finish off the contract and they already have a new head coach in mind. Personally I do not think Woody has that type of strategy to have a coach in mind and wait the year until that new coach is available.
    Also are they going to force the hand of Sanchez or Smith on Rex? This team has so many questions surrounding it.

All League
    “Tom Coughlin would never do that.” No, Coughlin has better things to do. Like trying to figure out a way to prevent another second-half collapse. Good for him.

He also has 2 Super Bowl Rings and he does not act like an ass clown.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by PocketJet View Post
    “Tom Coughlin would never do that.” No, Coughlin has better things to do. Like trying to figure out a way to prevent another second-half collapse. Good for him.

He also has 2 Super Bowl Rings and he does not act like an ass clown.
    Good point SAR JR

as always

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Good point SAR JR

as always
    GFY - People are entitled to opinions that are not yours. You live in quite a little vacuum for sure.
    Last edited by PocketJet; 07-19-2013 at 07:51 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    GFY - People are entitled to opinions that are not yours. You live in quite a little vacuum for sure.
    SAR JR is getting angry

It's only a message board, pal... here for sh-ts and giggles... lighten up

All League
    SAR JR is getting angry

It's only a message board, pal... here for sh-ts and giggles... lighten up
    I am not angry; just GFY

Jets Insider VIP
    I am not angry; just GFY
    Of course, you're a big bundle of cheeriness

Smith> Bridgewater
    that is just delusional.

I like how these guys just write off Rex & dismiss him so easily as a headcoach.
    What other coach in the history of the NFL took his team to the AFCCG in two successive seasons with a QB as bad as Sanchez?

You can't have it both ways fellas.
    While every talking head wants to tell us over & over again that buttfumble is the worst QB in the league over the last 4 years, they also want to tear down Rex?
    While Rex has made his mistakes, remember that he was saddled with Shotty when he got here. I also think he was talked into Sparano, as he has admitted he's not an expert on the offensive side of the ball.
    Now that he has an actual OC that has REAL success in a proven system & is going back to what he knows best, coaching his defense, lets see how this transpires before we keep throwing him out with the trash in 2014.
    I've always said, give Rex Tom Brady & BB Mark Sanchez & nine out of ten times Rex would be walking off that field saying " Suck my D*ck! BB!".

Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    I like how these guys just write off Rex & dismiss him so easily as a headcoach.
    What other coach in the history of the NFL took his team to the AFCCG in two successive seasons with a QB as bad as Sanchez?

While every talking head wants to tell us over & over again that buttfumble is the worst QB in the league over the last 4 years, they also want to tear down Rex?
    While Rex has made his mistakes, remember that he was saddled with Shotty when he got here. I also think he was talked into Sparano, as he has admitted he's not an expert on the offensive side of the ball.
    Now that he has an actual OC that has REAL success in a proven system & is going back to what he knows best, coaching his defense, lets see how this transpires before we keep throwing him out with the trash in 2014.
    I've always said, give Rex Tom Brady & BB Mark Sanchez & nine out of ten times Rex would be walking off that field saying " Suck my D*ck! BB!".
    Give me Tom Brady and BB Sanchez, and I'd walk off the field the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post

I don't normally get into threads that don't involve my own team, but some times I make an exception. This is one of those times.

An NFL HC can have all of the bluster in the world, but it doesn't mean crap if you don't win and it makes you look like a total idiot when you lose. That's where Ryan has always been, and is why he never got the HC job in Baltimore.

As a Pats fan I hope he (and Mark Sanchez for that matter) has a very long career with the Jets. I doubt it though.