Thread: USC runs a west coast offense?

USC runs a west coast offense?

I just saw this blurb when flipping through an article about Matt Barkley. Apparently Sanchez ran a west coast offense at USC too.

By Anthony”Mini-Kiper” Carillo -contributing writer/reporter-Football Reporters Online

1) Quarterback Matt Barkley USC

Matt Barkley is going to be a 4 year starter at USC, which is more than Carson Palmer, Mark Sanchez and Matt Leinhart can say. Barkley has fantastic arm strength arm strength and great accuracy as well. He runs a west coast offense at USC which will help him transition over to the NFL.

You didn't know that?

Norm Chow, Lane Kiffin, and Steve Sarkisian all run the WCO, those are USC's last 3 offensive coordiantors/play callers, going back to 2001. Before Chow, Paul Hackett was the head coach and play caller, yet another WCO guy.

I thought this was common knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    You didn't know that?

Norm Chow, Lane Kiffin, and Steve Sarkisian all run the WCO, those are USC's last 3 offensive coordiantors/play callers, going back to 2001. Before Chow, Paul Hackett was the head coach and play caller, yet another WCO guy.

I thought this was common knowledge.
    I don't have 2 days to spend watching football each weekend so I can't see college games. I only study players in the draft once the combine starts.

The reason I posted this is because people are saying Sanchez is a bad fit for the west coast offense but he was successful with it in college.

Chow, Kiffin, (both gone by the time Sanchez took over as starter) and Sarkisian all ran offenses under Carroll that had elements of the WCO, but none were a pure variation of it.....there were simply a handful of plays sprinkled into the overall offensive gameplan as Pete wanted some pro style elements.

When Kiffin returned to USC, that's when a pure WCO was installed.

Last edited by Montana; 01-18-2013 at 11:23 PM.

Yes one of the reason people always say USC QBs are "pro ready" is they run a WC pro style O there. IMO there is no such thing as a pro style O in college. One of the reasons USC QBs struggle is they think they can do it the same way they did in college. I think people are starting to realize that now. Berkley is just special IMO. Way better prospect to come out of USC then he gets credit for.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Yes one of the reason people always say USC QBs are "pro ready" is they run a WC pro style O there. IMO there is no such thing as a pro style O in college. One of the reasons USC QBs struggle is they think they can do it the same way they did in college. I think people are starting to realize that now. Berkley is just special IMO. Way better prospect to come out of USC then he gets credit for.
    That is so off base on several separate points.

Jets Insider VIP
    I stopped reading as soon as he said Barkley has "amazing" arm strength.

The thing is ... With the new draft value structure in place ... You can sort of take a flier in the first round without completely destroying your team if you miss ... So I could see the FO taking Barkley or Smith ... Which would sadden me to no end.