Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: New GM could get Sanchez to rework his contract?

  1. #1

    New GM could get Sanchez to rework his contract?

    We keep hearing about how big Mark Sanchez's cap hit will be and it will cripple the Jets this season. Idzik has no loyalties to Mark Sanchez. I have a feeling he will get down and dirty and tell Mark how it's gonna be. Either we rework your deal Mr. Sanchez or you will be holding a clipboard all season and then be out of football the following year. Let's rework the deal so maybe we can trade you to a team where you will have a chance to play or let's rework a more cap friendly deal for you to stay here with some incentives. If Sanchez is the team player he claims to be I think he will cooperate. If he plays hardball then he gets paid but he's goes thru a whole season in New York holding a clipboard being made fun of. I don't have knowledge of contracts and cap situations but can't these horrible cap numbers change if Mark agrees to less guaranteed money? Maybe not - I don't know but I know the media always depicts the worst scenarios around the Jets. Mark - maybe seeking a change of scenery or sensing he need more help around him might just play ball and change his contract. It's most likely in his best interest to do so unless he's just a greedy bastard. We will see?

  2. #2
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    hoboken
    Posts
    6,205
    nice story, but Sanchez has guaranteed money. he's not giving that up.

  3. #3
    There would be 0 upside to reworking his deal. You have to take the hit. Either cut him now or put him on the IR and ride out the year.

  4. #4
    Reworking his deal means we will be paying him more over a longer period of time. It's the only way to get Mark to agree to giving up immediate guaranteed money. Sure it makes the cap hit less next year, but it also means he's on our team against our cap for years longer. No, the answer to this is to purge ourselves now.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    There would be 0 upside to reworking his deal. You have to take the hit. Either cut him now or put him on the IR and ride out the year.
    Thanks for the info. I really obviously didn't know but even if he accepts less money there is no potential benefit to the Jets?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    Thanks for the info. I really obviously didn't know but even if he accepts less money there is no potential benefit to the Jets?
    Players don't accept less money. They guarantee more of the contract and pay larger amounts in future years in order to free cap space now. The only way a deal like that works is if Sanchez is going to be the starter for a long time to come.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    Thanks for the info. I really obviously didn't know but even if he accepts less money there is no potential benefit to the Jets?
    No you still have to pay him that 17 mil regardless of how you work it. Unless we can rework then trade him but then you need to find a team willing to take on that cash. Sadly he is not worth more then 1.5 mil a year to any other team. So your talking a very stupid deal it you rework for trade. I don't see anyone taking it.

  8. #8
    To the OP's point if Sanchez is a backup in NY in 2013 he's headed to David Carr status in the league. If he does think he'll have a chance to start elsewhere, isn't that leverage for the GM?

  9. #9
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,105
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    nice story, but Sanchez has guaranteed money. he's not giving that up.
    This is true. However, there is another possibility.

    Does anyone think that if Sanchez is cut that he'll get a chance to compete for a starting job elsewhere?

    Me neither. So, if Sanchez is offered the opportunity to compete for the starting job in 2013 in exchange for a re-worked contract, that might be incentive for him to rework his deal.

    Unlikely, but the above scenario provides a possibility

  10. #10
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    hoboken
    Posts
    6,205
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    This is true. However, there is another possibility.

    Does anyone think that if Sanchez is cut that he'll get a chance to compete for a starting job elsewhere?

    Me neither. So, if Sanchez is offered the opportunity to compete for the starting job in 2013 in exchange for a re-worked contract, that might be incentive for him to rework his deal.

    Unlikely, but the above scenario provides a possibility
    if he's cut, we still have to pay him. why would he give up money.. for the opportunity to compete with whatever QB the Jets are bringing in? he'll get that shot anyway (perhaps more so because of his current contract)

  11. #11
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    3,099
    The only rework that would make sense for BOTH the Jets and Sanchez would be for Sanchez to give up $3M.

    What it does for the Jets: we could release Sanchez and it would have a neutral effect on the salary cap.

    What it would do for Sanchez: let's say we trade for Matt Flynn and draft someone like Tyler Wilson (or insert what ever rookie you want) - Sanchez will be 3rd string and will not have a shot of playing. By being released, he might catch on somewhere as a backup and may luck into starting like Matt Leinart when Schaub got injured.

    That is what I would shoot for if I am Idzik.

  12. #12
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,105
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    if he's cut, we still have to pay him. why would he give up money.. for the opportunity to compete with whatever QB the Jets are bringing in? he'll get that shot anyway (perhaps more so because of his current contract)
    I understand that but do you think he'll get an opportunity to compete for the starting job elsewhere?

  13. #13
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ (Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Posts
    36,368
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    There would be 0 upside to reworking his deal. You have to take the hit. Either cut him now or put him on the IR and ride out the year.
    Is Sanchez hurt or do you think Idzik was brought in to intentionally trip Sanchez down the stairs?

  14. #14
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    hoboken
    Posts
    6,205
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    I understand that but do you think he'll get an opportunity to compete for the starting job elsewhere?
    not in 2013, but he's already paid for 2013.

    I would love it if they could work something out, i just dont see it happening.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    nice story, but Sanchez has guaranteed money. he's not giving that up.
    True. Best to not make a rash decision and dump him... Hold him for Backup duty or maybe see if this OC can actually do anything... I just think Sanchez thinks too slowly, but... no sense in cutting him. Especially if we have to pay him.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    The only rework that would make sense for BOTH the Jets and Sanchez would be for Sanchez to give up $3M.

    What it does for the Jets: we could release Sanchez and it would have a neutral effect on the salary cap.

    What it would do for Sanchez: let's say we trade for Matt Flynn and draft someone like Tyler Wilson (or insert what ever rookie you want) - Sanchez will be 3rd string and will not have a shot of playing. By being released, he might catch on somewhere as a backup and may luck into starting like Matt Leinart when Schaub got injured.

    That is what I would shoot for if I am Idzik.

    I like that angle, but I don't think there'll be much interest for a kid who gets tackled by his lineman's a$s and fumbles, TWICE.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    The only rework that would make sense for BOTH the Jets and Sanchez would be for Sanchez to give up $3M.

    What it does for the Jets: we could release Sanchez and it would have a neutral effect on the salary cap.

    What it would do for Sanchez: let's say we trade for Matt Flynn and draft someone like Tyler Wilson (or insert what ever rookie you want) - Sanchez will be 3rd string and will not have a shot of playing. By being released, he might catch on somewhere as a backup and may luck into starting like Matt Leinart when Schaub got injured.

    That is what I would shoot for if I am Idzik.
    The PA would never sign off on a player giving money back that the team has already guaranteed. Also Sanchez would basically be throwing that money out the window IMO. He will likely never make enough to make it worth it. Rob Johnson I think got 2 years 2 mil AFTER he won a SB.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us