Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can Jeff Cumberland be #1 TE for Jets if DK doesnt return?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Wait what? Second fastest? I like cumbo and all but man...jimmy graham, coby fleener, brandon pettigrew, aaron hernandez, off the top of my head.

Id rather go with "draft a complete TE". You know, with the third of our second round picks.
    The "top of your head" isn't accurate. He's faster than ALL of those guys. Jimmy Graham ran in the 4.5s. Aaron Hernandez in the 4.6s. Pettigrew? That's laughable. He's a 4.8 guy.

Cumberland ran in the 4.4s. He ran like a WR before his injury. He's looked to have regained most of that speed.

Again, he's probably the second fastest TE in the league after Vernon Davis. He's a much more fluid athlete than Keller.
    Last edited by detectivekimble; 01-19-2013 at 11:52 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like the rookie from Stanford. Give him the starting position.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    I love these posts. Draft a complete QB, draft a complete RB, draft a complete TE, draft a complete Guard, draft a complete LB. Do we have 5 extra first round picks that I don't know about.

Cumberland and keller are both limited, and I doubt Keller will get much interest frmo other teams in Free Agency. Would be happy with either of them back at a reasonable price tag.
    I love these posts.

Keep the two TEs that don't block, nobody else will want them so the Jets should totally re-sign them.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Josh Baker answer was the best I saw.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    I thought Cumberland played well. Hes not going to be a legitimate playmaking TE, but he could strive for a Fasano type position with the team.

I hate to bring it up again, as i know it is off topic, and im honestly not trying to force an agenda, but with Mark Sanchez throwing anybody the ball on offense, a legitimate judgement can not be made. Mark is unfortunately that bad. I honestly think Kerley on a team with a good QB would be utilized so much more, but here we are.

Go Jets.
    Cumberland's mediocre and may have lost a step since his Achillies injury, but if he comes cheap he should start next year. Much bigger holes on team than him at TE.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jeT.MAC View Post
    He looked descent catching and running with the ball. I would like to have Keller back with Jets if possible.
    No. He's nothing more than a role player (and a good one at that) that will never be able to handle the starting job.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    Jeff Cumberland is the New Bryan Thomas. He's not what the masses want,so therefore he's no good.

I see a freeagent TE who catches the ball well ,runs as well as most WRs and doesn't cost the Jets much.
    How are these guys even remotely comparable?

Thomas was a rock solid starter on this defense for nearly a decade.

Cumberland is a backup, one dimensional TE who might not even be on the team next season.

Cumberland is way more David Clowney than he is Bryan Thomas.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cumberland is a fantastic athlete, but he's an inconsistent route runner with just OK hands, to go along with being a terrible blocker.

So, to answer the OP: No.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    I love these posts.

Keep the two TEs that don't block, nobody else will want them so the Jets should totally re-sign them.
    I'm not too sure about that one. Sure their blocking might be sub par, but due to the atrocious play from the QB position it's hard to get a good read on how good these guys really are. Their starting QB has a career completion percentage that's barely over 55%.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    How are these guys even remotely comparable?

Thomas was a rock solid starter on this defense for nearly a decade.

Cumberland is a backup, one dimensional TE who might not even be on the team next season.

Cumberland is way more David Clowney than he is Bryan Thomas.
    I love u man because u live in the now. You see only what is now and the past is either forgotten to u and was never important to u. It is a great way to live and i could learn alot from it.

Today, Jeff Cumberland is exactly what u say he is, and because of that, he is talked about as someone who the Jets could live without. It is folks like me who realize that this kid was an undrafted free agent who showed enough ability to get himself a roster spot. It is folks like me who see the growth in this player from where he was, to where he is. Is he a finished product, no, but he is not where he was and that is development that should be recognized and encouraged.

As to what it has to do with Bryan Thomas.

I remember a young man drafted in the 1st round from a small school to be a pass rusher because of the skills he displayed at the combines. When he came to the Jets, he was behind 2 former 1st round picks at his position in John Abraham and Shaun Ellis. His playing time was limited and he didn't have the skills to do what either of those 2 guys did. When he did play what i saw was a guy who while he didn't get the sacks John abraham did, wasn't allowing the outside runs John Abraham was allowing. Because of this, this Fan base said the same exact thing about Bryan Thomas back then that it is saying about Jeff Cumberland today.

Today Thomas has started for quite a few years and has established that edge setting ability as the staple of his game. He is also 32 and on the downside of his career.Today, Jeff cumberland is where Thomas used to be, but he is 25yrs old and developing. Injuries has robbed him of a yr already, but in my eyes, this kid is 1000 miles from where he was when he joined the Jets.

What will be said of this player in 5 yrs if he is allowed to continue his development as a TE. If the Jets had kept John Abraham, would Bryan Thomas be thought of today the way he is by you or the way Jeff Cumberland is thought of by you Today. Both Players have a specific skill set, and their development at this point in both their careers can already be seen by those who are not looking for instant gratification , but for development in players needed to support the premier positions on a football team.

But that is just me.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonetime86 View Post
    I'm not too sure about that one. Sure their blocking might be sub par, but due to the atrocious play from the QB position it's hard to get a good read on how good these guys really are. Their starting QB has a career completion percentage that's barely over 55%.
    what does Sanchez have to do with them being poor blockers?

in any case, the Jets have way too many holes and way too little money to pay Keller a big FA contract. so he's probably gone.

I'm not against keeping Cumberland for cheap, but in no way should he ever be a #1 TE. get me a guy who's at least a decent blocker and consistent route runner, even if its a rookie.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    We need to draft a TE for a long-term solution. We do not have any good TEs on our roster.

I would love to draft one of these 6'6" automatic mismatches but we have so many needs that I think we should just go BPA in every round. If he is available when we draft in the 2nd, Eifert will be BPA.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    Cumberland is a fantastic athlete, but he's an inconsistent route runner with just OK hands, to go along with being a terrible blocker.

So, to answer the OP: No.
    Cumberland is also a 3rd yr NFL player who was an undrafted free agent . He was mostly used as a receiving TE at Illinois, and that is what he still is with the Jets. He has developed from being an UDFA to seeing extensive playing time in the NFL, but he still has a way to go. IN 3 short years, this athlete has come thus far, but let us also remember 1 thing . This player missed a yr with an Injury so he's actually a 2nd yr NFL player seeing extensive playing time who wasn't even drafted.

To answer the OP, the answer is Yes.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    no he can't block and is a nice complimentary not featured TE

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    Cumberland is also a 3rd yr NFL player who was an undrafted free agent . He was mostly used as a receiving TE at Illinois, and that is what he still is with the Jets. He has developed from being an UDFA to seeing extensive playing time in the NFL, but he still has a way to go. IN 3 short years, this athlete has come thus far, but let us also remember 1 thing . This player missed a yr with an Injury so he's actually a 2nd yr NFL player seeing extensive playing time who wasn't even drafted.

To answer the OP, the answer is Yes.
    Torn achilles, dropped pass in endzone last season. He will get a shot next season.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    what does Sanchez have to do with them being poor blockers?

in any case, the Jets have way too many holes and way too little money to pay Keller a big FA contract. so he's probably gone.

I'm not against keeping Cumberland for cheap, but in no way should he ever be a #1 TE. get me a guy who's at least a decent blocker and consistent route runner, even if its a rookie.
    You commented that no other team would want them. In Keller's case he's an above average pass catching TE; that alone would garner interest from other teams. My point is that due to his injury this year and Sanchez's ineptness his ability as a receiving TE, in my opinion, is being underrated. With that said I do agree that they shouldn't pay him a big contract.

Also I am not sure if Cumberland is starting quality, but he has shown signs of improvement. If he can be had for cheap, as you say, I think they should retain him.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    thought cumberland made some plays is passing game this year.. blocking? yikes.... not sure what Josh Baker / Hayden Smith bring.....

DK is nice player... but light in seat.... money is a factor with jets.. they will let him walk.....

they have so many needs... if opportunity presents itself, they will draft a TE....

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flymax View Post
    Dk was hurt this year. I think he comes back healthy with cumby as #2

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Delanie anyone?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    The "top of your head" isn't accurate. He's faster than ALL of those guys. Jimmy Graham ran in the 4.5s. Aaron Hernandez in the 4.6s. Pettigrew? That's laughable. He's a 4.8 guy.

Cumberland ran in the 4.4s. He ran like a WR before his injury. He's looked to have regained most of that speed.

Again, he's probably the second fastest TE in the league after Vernon Davis. He's a much more fluid athlete than Keller.
    You know what else happened before his injury? His 4.4 in the combine. The one that makes him the second fastest TE in the 2013 NFL.