Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tony Dungy on Idzik: "John Idzik was a big part of our success...he knows talent"

Tony Dungy on Idzik: "John Idzik was a big part of our success...he knows talent"

Said Tony Dungy, who coached the Bucs from 1996-2001: "John Idzik was a big part of our success in Tampa and I believe he'll do a great job in New York. He is extremely bright and he knows talent. He's been around football all his life and he understands what it takes to win in the NFL. From a coach's perspective, he was great to work with because he was so knowledgable but was also a good listener. John is a high-quality person and the Jets are very fortunate to have him."
    http://www.newsday.com/sports/footba...hire-1.4476736

Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz
    Tony Dungy on new Jets GM John Idzik: "John Idzik was a big part of our success in Tampa and I believe he'll do a great job in New York."

More Dungy: "he's extremely bright and he knows talent. He's been around football all his life and he understands what it takes to win."

Wow. That's high praise.

Somewhere, Rich Cimini is wincing and preparing his next article: "Tony Dungy is lying about Idzik; no one worth anything is ever hired by the Jets."

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jps1012 View Post
    Wow. That's high praise.
    C'mon! Who are you going to believe...a Super Bowl winning coach or some part-time janitor posting on the Landing Strip that Idzik is only a "cap guy" and can't tell a football from a volleyball?

I'm sticking with our expert posters. They know more than Dungy ever could!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Wait...

But fat f*ck Francessa told me he was a Tanny clone?

Not surprised to hear a positive endorsement from Dungy. Or anyone that has worked closely with Idzik.

But the rag whiners pied pipe their unsyncopated media dribble...and the hyper haters that are so eager to prove Woody is clueless...Idzik is another bean counter wannabe...and of course...Rex is the Devil...will orgiastically dance to their music.

All the crap dancing on Woody and his choice of Idzik...even before the Thursday presser...

Ridiculous.
    Last edited by GreenReaper; 01-20-2013 at 01:29 AM.

On this week's Inside the NFL, Bart said something I had never thought about. He said that during the prior regime (Mangini) all of the Jets' beat writers were denied access to the coaches and players and that the team made a conscious effort to reverse course and to invite the writers in and give them access once Mangini was let go. Bart felt it was and still is the right thing to do, but that some writers in a quest to make a name for themselves and propel themselves to a bigger gig have abused this newfound access. He talked specifically about Manish, but refused to say his name because in his words, "I don't wanna give him any new Twitter followers."

Cimini has already got himself a new gig out of his hyperbole. The Jets are no different or more dysfunctional than any other sports team, our writers just spin it differently. Crabtree is under investigation right now, but I guarantee you the Bay area writers won't manipulate it like our's would. Heck, Brandon Jacob's Garden State Pkwy race to Atlantic City was handled differently by Giants' beat writers. The Jets national image is an example of the tail wagging the dog, with a few writers and talk radio types driving the negative spin.
    Last edited by teddyld; 01-20-2013 at 02:08 AM.

All Pro
    Ahhhh, what does Dungy know? He just worked directly with the guy for many years, built a winning team with him, and won a Superbowl.

It's not like Dungy is as well informed as some lazy, agenda-driven hack or some attention-seeking JI poster who very selectively quotes from an online bio, is it?!?

Clearly, the lazy, embittered and clueless naysayers who never heard of Idzik before last week know him a whole lot better than the Superbowl winning coach who actually worked with him for a large number of years...

In fairness, both Woody and Rex have tried hard to get more attention then most teams so they bear some of the blame. However, the gossip columnists in this area have been acting this way for decades regardless of who the coach/owner was.

As for Dungy's comments, it makes no difference. Remember; Mike Francesa is wiser then all of us. When someone agrees with his eminence then they may be allowed to be quoted, maybe. Tony Dungy was granted an audience with the Pope when he spoke out against Rex Ryan for cursing on the practice field during hard knocks

But don't expect even the slightest acknowledgement that Dungy uttered a positive word on the subject of Idzik and how good he is for the Jets. I mean after all, he just spent years working closely with the man. Why would his opinion elevate past the noise of NFL savants like Rich Cimini and Gary Myers. And it goes without saying that his eminence, Pope Francesa will not be acknowledging any potential positive moves by the Jets.

Quote Originally Posted by teddyld View Post
    On this week's Inside the NFL, Bart said something I had never thought about. He said that during the prior regime (Mangini) all of the Jets' beat writers were denied access to the coaches and players and that the team made a conscious effort to reverse course and to invite the writers in and give them access once Mangini was let go. Bart felt it was and still is the right thing to do, but that some writers in a quest to make a name for themselves and propel themselves to a bigger gig have abused this newfound access. He talked specifically about Manish, but refused to say his name because in his words, "I don't wanna give him any new Twitter followers."

Cimini has already got himself a new gig out of his hyperbole. The Jets are no different or more dysfunctional than any other sports team, our writers just spin it differently. Crabtree is under investigation right now, but I guarantee you the Bay area writers won't manipulate it like our's would. Heck, Brandon Jacob's Garden State Pkwy race to Atlantic City was handled differently by Giants' beat writers. The Jets national image is an example of the tail wagging the dog, with a few writers and talk radio types driving the negative spin.
    I have a feeling the new GM is going to change things back towards the Mangini era. The writers have done the Jets no favors. Nothing good has come out of all this media attention. I am all for the Jets shutting out the writers starting now and I hope it will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    I have a feeling the new GM is going to change things back towards the Mangini era. The writers have done the Jets no favors. Nothing good has come out of all this media attention. I am all for the Jets shutting out the writers starting now and I hope it will happen.
    Just thinking the same thing, there was not as much to read about but it was not embarrassing to be a fan (last year was the worst since pre-Parcells)

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio State NY Jets fan View Post
    Just thinking the same thing, there was not as much to read about but it was not embarrassing to be a fan (last year was the worst since pre-Parcells)
    We went 4-12 in both 2005 and 2007 but 6-10 was worse for you??

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    http://www.newsday.com/sports/footba...hire-1.4476736

Tony Dungy on new Jets GM John Idzik: "John Idzik was a big part of our success in Tampa and I believe he'll do a great job in New York."

More Dungy: "he's extremely bright and he knows talent. He's been around football all his life and he understands what it takes to win."
    Well now. We have a choice to make.....believe a man like Dungy who knows football from every angle, or savants like Francesa, Cimini, Myers etc who think Taco Bell is a phone company? Tough call.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    Well now. We have a choice to make.....believe a man like Dungy who knows football from every angle, or savants like Francesa, Cimini, Myers etc who think Taco Bell is a phone company? Tough call.
    A couple of pity quotes from a bleeding-heart good-guy doesn't offset the fact that he's a cap guy with a lot to learn.

Rex selected the perfect puppet. Lets hope he made a mistake and the guy fires him.

SAR I

You know most normally when a writer goes off on the Jets, I see all of you on this board go and attack the writer. I often do not agree with the approach. I choose to think well, it's one mans opinion. It doesn't mean it is right or wrong, it's just his opinion.

You guys just overreact to anything the press says which might be construed as negative.

With that said, this recent attack by Cimini and the other guy? It was so immediate, more or less before the ink has even dried on Idzik's contract. It was bullsh*t.

HTF could they even presume to know what this hire was when they haven't been following Seattle Seahawks football?

This really lends credence to thinking no matter who had been hired they would have immediately attacked the choice.

Where they think they have earned this right to run their traps about the Jets, I will never know.

However, any logical thinking Jets fan should be DONE with Cimini. He's a POS that wants nothing more than to attack the team, just dying to create something to write about. He's as bad as the papparazi.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    We went 4-12 in both 2005 and 2007 but 6-10 was worse for you??
    Yea, I would have traded the two wins for no Tebow, no butt fumble (3 TD in 52 seconds) on Thanksgiving, and a true benching of Sanchez for multiple games

but that's just me

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    A couple of pity quotes from a bleeding-heart good-guy doesn't offset the fact that he's a cap guy with a lot to learn.

Rex selected the perfect puppet. Lets hope he made a mistake and the guy fires him.

SAR I
    Face it, you and I both know that unless Mornhinweg is a miracle worker, and the Jets somehow turn it around in 2013, Rex is a goner. Why would Idzik leave an organization that he helped mold into one of the best in the NFL to take the Jets job if he wasn't going to have the power to ultimately choose his own man? Intelligent people would never do such a thing, and Idzik, if nothing else, is supposed to be off the charts smart. Sure, he does have alot to learn, and he seems smart enough to know that. Good executives all know that they are always learning. Hopefully, he'll surround himself with good people on both the business and personnel side to start improving this entire organization from day one.
    If this process did anything, I think it finally showed Woody what he needs to do to run a real business. I think in the long run, you're gonna see that Rex is the one dancing at the bottom of the strings, not the other way around.

Well hopefully woody and Rex learned their lesson and understand that the media is not a tool to be used to sell tickets and stroke egos of the players.

Rex can let the new GM be the bad guy and say the access curtailment is at his direction. The GM needs to tell woody that ESPN cannot camp out at TC and they will be no talk of hard knocks. Rex needs his players to understand the new relationship with the media. No more Brady is gay, Miami was lucky the last time, We are better than they are all that crap needs to stop. Jet fans need to understand that they don't need to know everything about the team and not to complain when they go back to the mangini way with in house issues. Holmes now has zero value in a trade, as he is now known as trouble. When the jets got him most of the league just thought he was a druggie and immature, but now everyone knows everything the guy does to skipping a OTA to throwing his helmet.

The jets don't have to be mean to them- just benign tolerance.
    Last edited by patman; 01-20-2013 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Well hopefully woody and Rex learned their lesson and understand that the media is not a tool to be used to sell tickets and stroke egos of the players.

Rex can let the new GM be the bad guy and say the access curtailment is at his direction. The GM needs to tell woody that ESPN cannot camp out at TC and they will be no talk of hard knocks. Rex needs his players to understand the new relationship with the media. No more Brady is gay, Miami was lucky the last time, We are better than they are all that crap needs to stop. Jet fans need to understand that they don't need to know everything about the team and not to complain when they go back to the mangini way with in house issues. Holmes now has zero value in a trade, as he is now known as trouble. When the jets got him most of the league just thought he was a druggie and immature, but now everyone knows everything the guy does to skipping a OTA to throwing his helmet.

But what if it's true??

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post

Good Points!!!!

It is called running a business, and finally the Jets seem, thanks to Woddy, to be doing things in a professional manner....

And for this I am very very thankful....