Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tony Dungy on Idzik: "John Idzik was a big part of our success...he knows talent"

Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    Face it, you and I both know that unless Mornhinweg is a miracle worker, and the Jets somehow turn it around in 2013, Rex is a goner. Why would Idzik leave an organization that he helped mold into one of the best in the NFL to take the Jets job if he wasn't going to have the power to ultimately choose his own man? Intelligent people would never do such a thing, and Idzik, if nothing else, is supposed to be off the charts smart. Sure, he does have alot to learn, and he seems smart enough to know that. Good executives all know that they are always learning. Hopefully, he'll surround himself with good people on both the business and personnel side to start improving this entire organization from day one.
    If this process did anything, I think it finally showed Woody what he needs to do to run a real business. I think in the long run, you're gonna see that Rex is the one dancing at the bottom of the strings, not the other way around.

This is my take too, Rex was given a one year mulligan to turn the team around. Now i don't think he needs to make the playoffs to get his last year of his deal, but the team will need to play smart and the coaches need to show that they can substitute without taking a time out or running the clock down to 5 seconds. Rex cannot lose home games by an average of 19 points, no matter who the QB is. Even if they go 6-10 as long as they are competitive he will get another year.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJoe View Post
    Somewhere, Rich Cimini is wincing and preparing his next article: "Tony Dungy is lying about Idzik; no one worth anything is ever hired by the Jets."
    these newspaper hacks and beat reporters i have learned know less than what we do and there there just to sell newspapers..would be boring to say idzik is a great hire..must say hes a puppet to rex blah blah blah..tired of the bs...

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    This is my take too, Rex was given a one year mulligan to turn the team around. Now i don't think he needs to make the playoffs to get his last year of his deal, but the team will need to play smart and the coaches need to show that they can substitute without taking a time out or running the clock down to 5 seconds. Rex cannot lose home games by an average of 19 points, no matter who the QB is. Even if they go 6-10 as long as they are competitive he will get another year.
    i agree..team has to improve as year goes on..not get worse like last 2 years..rex has to show maturity as a coach on and off the field..i.e.locker room..to get extended otherwise hes a goner

Jets Insider VIP
    Detroit was in most games even against very good teams, yet they had a terrible W-L record. I think if we have a season like them Rex would stay.

Agreed, I don't think record is going to be the main factor this year(unless like 5-11, 4-12).If that, then there's no question what will happen. The biggest factor will be alot of what you stated, plus starting to act like a professional, and no more circus like atmoshere, coaches and players alike. Basically, keep your mouth shut and do your job. If this starts to become the new culture of this team, then Woody got a "steal " with Korn/Ferry.

I think it will be interesting to see the press conference on Thursday. Obviously, Rex will be there. If his role is minimal, no rediculous stuff like the one two weeks ago, and they let it truly be Idzik's day, then maybe the worm has started to turn.We can only hope.

Hall Of Fame
    JUST WIN BABY!!!!!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    We went 4-12 in both 2005 and 2007 but 6-10 was worse for you??
    When the giants went 8-8 in 2010 he said it felt like 2-14, they won a SuperBowl in 2010. Why should we Jets fans accept mediocrity?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    Detroit was in most games even against very good teams, yet they had a terrible W-L record. I think if we have a season like them Rex would stay.
    Agree. I think he gets fired if he loses the team.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by ryan10 View Post
    these newspaper hacks and beat reporters i have learned know less than what we do and there there just to sell newspapers..would be boring to say idzik is a great hire..must say hes a puppet to rex blah blah blah..tired of the bs...
    The Jets are a bad team and a bad organization right now.

So you're blaming the media? Makes no sense.

Since when did we become Scapegoat Insider? Blaming everyone except Rex Ryan. "It's Mark Sanchez fault!" "It's the media's fault!" "It's Mike Tannenbaum's fault!"

SAR I

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    Agreed, I don't think record is going to be the main factor this year(unless like 5-11, 4-12).If that, then there's no question what will happen. The biggest factor will be alot of what you stated, plus starting to act like a professional, and no more circus like atmoshere, coaches and players alike. Basically, keep your mouth shut and do your job. If this starts to become the new culture of this team, then Woody got a "steal " with Korn/Ferry.

I think it will be interesting to see the press conference on Thursday. Obviously, Rex will be there. If his role is minimal, no rediculous stuff like the one two weeks ago, and they let it truly be Idzik's day, then maybe the worm has started to turn.We can only hope.
    Am I the only one who had no problem with that year end PC? I thought it was fine and they were both forward and honest.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by ryan10 View Post
    i agree..team has to improve as year goes on..not get worse like last 2 years..rex has to show maturity as a coach on and off the field..i.e.locker room..to get extended otherwise hes a goner
    Unless Woody Johnson is brilliantly forcing Rex to stay and work rather than eat his contract, we're stuck with the clown for awhile.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by dmitexxi View Post
    When the giants went 8-8 in 2010 he said it felt like 2-14, they won a SuperBowl in 2010. Why should we Jets fans accept mediocrity?
    That wasn't the point he said the 6-10 season felt like pre Parcells.. I just wondered what he thought the 4-12 seasons felt like.. Nowhere did I say anything about accepting mediocrity nor should any fan..

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    The Jets are a bad team and a bad organization right now.

So you're blaming the media? Makes no sense.

Since when did we become Scapegoat Insider? Blaming everyone except Rex Ryan. "It's Mark Sanchez fault!" "It's the media's fault!" "It's Mike Tannenbaum's fault!"

SAR I
    listen stop defending these know nothing hacks!!!! they keep saying idzik is a cap guy only when respected people like tony dungy keep saying he's a well respected football man and a great hire for the jets..im not talking about rex..this thread isnt a rex thread!!! your a smart guy SAR u cant see throught the media agenda???
    Last edited by ryan10; 01-20-2013 at 10:36 AM.

HOLD EVERYTHING!!!!! TONY DUNGY IS FULL OF CRAP!!!! ADAM SCHEIN SAID HE WAS JUST A CAP GUY!!!!! HE HAS SOURCES!!!!!! WHO ARE YOU GOING TO BELIEVE: A SUPERBOWL WINNING HEAD COACH OR A LOAD MOUTH REPORTER?!?!?.

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    http://www.newsday.com/sports/footba...hire-1.4476736

Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz
    Tony Dungy on new Jets GM John Idzik: "John Idzik was a big part of our success in Tampa and I believe he'll do a great job in New York."

Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz
    More Dungy: "he's extremely bright and he knows talent. He's been around football all his life and he understands what it takes to win."
    Wait... isn't this contrary to the combined media and uninformed-fan narrative of the past 2 weeks?

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Unless Woody Johnson is brilliantly forcing Rex to stay and work rather than eat his contract, we're stuck with the clown for awhile.

SAR I
    if jets have similar year as last 2 hes a goner.u say no?? idzik would not have come here under any other situation...because after 2013 rex essentially becomes an idzik hire by keeping rex here..this upcoming year is a free pass to idzik as far as the HC is concerned...

Quote Originally Posted by tfine350z View Post
    HOLD EVERYTHING!!!!! TONY DUNGY IS FULL OF CRAP!!!! ADAM SCHEIN SAID HE WAS JUST A CAP GUY!!!!! HE HAS SOURCES!!!!!! WHO ARE YOU GOING TO BELIEVE: A SUPERBOWL WINNING HEAD COACH OR A LOAD MOUTH REPORTER?!?!?.
    +1111111111

Quote Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
    Wait... isn't this contrary to the combined media and uninformed-fan narrative of the past 2 weeks?
    +1 exactly!!!!

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
    Am I the only one who had no problem with that year end PC? I thought it was fine and they were both forward and honest.
    I thought so too. I'm really impressed with Woody for firing MT (MS extension was unforgivable) and for the way he stuck to his guns with Rex (defense: if it ain't broke don't fix it) and for the way he persued our new GM. Our new OC looks very very good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
    They said more with their body language and facial expressions than they did with their words.

There was a minimal amount of honesty in that press conference. Not that it matters, the situations is such that they have least have to polish a turd until they get their feet back under them. But to be sure, plenty of bent truth there.