Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tony Dungy on Idzik: "John Idzik was a big part of our success...he knows talent"

Quote Originally Posted by ryan10 View Post
    listen stop defending these know nothing hacks!!!! they keep saying idzik is a cap guy only when respected people like tony dungy keep saying he's a well respected football man and a great hire for the jets..im not talking about rex..this thread isnt a rex thread!!! your a smart guy SAR u cant see throught he media agenda???
    Actually, I don't see the media agenda. The Jets are so media-helpful its ridiculous. The media doesn't have to make stuff up. We supply the laughs ourselves.

Is there another organization in NY that is the victim of this "media agenda"? Am I missing something? Devlis, Rangers, Yankees, Mets, Islanders, Knicks, Nets, Giants. I've been watching and reading the NY media since 1978 and I don't recall any "agenda". Just "reporting".

I'm a Jets fan. A big one. I feel just like the media does. I listen to the radio every day. I hear 100's of Jets fans call in every week and they feel like I do too. I've got 50+ guys who sit in my section of MetLife, they feel the same way. I've got my social circles of friends with lots of Jets fans there too, they feel the same way.

You don't want to hear the truth, but here it is: It's Jets Insider and this strange dynamic between Jets fans in denial that is the 'problem', not everyone else. You sit here reading 20 homers saying "We are going to be okay! We just hired a great GM and a great OC, woo hoo! The media doesn't get it! They've got an agenda!" and you believe it.

Go to a coffee shop. Talk to some Jets fans. Tell me what you hear. It's not going to be anything good. The Jets are the fat kid with the glasses at dodgeball, last one picked. Woody and Ryan are to blame. If anything, the media is showing restraint.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Isn't Dungy part of the know-nothing, Jet hating media? Or are there exceptions?

Bottom line is Idzik's forte is the cap. But he does have personnel experience as well. I don't see what the big deal is. I think you guys just like being outraged. Nothing that is said in the media matters. At the end of the day Idzik has a job to do and he will forge the future of this team for better or worse.

If he drafts well and wins he will be loved. If he drafts busts and we suck fans will call for his head. It is not that complicated.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    The Jets are a bad team and a bad organization right now.

So you're blaming the media? Makes no sense.

Since when did we become Scapegoat Insider? Blaming everyone except Rex Ryan. "It's Mark Sanchez fault!" "It's the media's fault!" "It's Mike Tannenbaum's fault!"

SAR I
    The team wasn't actually that bad. They were in the playoff hunt till week 14. And it's not a bad organization.

I won't blame the media for losing games. And I won't blame them for the team making TERRIBLE decisions (like trading for tebow). But I will blame them for the terrible image they have painted the team to be. When all of their articles are classless, then that in turn makes the team look classless. And since the national media has no choice but to count on these guys to tell the story of jets, that's trouble. It's all perception, and the media is in control of 70% of the teams perception.

if jets have similar year as last 2 hes a goner.u say no?? idzik would not have come here under any other situation...because after 2013 rex essentially becomes an idzik hire by keeping rex here..this upcoming year is a free pass to idzik as far as the HC is concerned...
    I pray you're right, but I think Woody Johnson actually is convinced that Rex Ryan is the answer for this franchise.

And Idzik? He took this job because it's his chance to learn about the personnel side of the business enroute to the next GM job he gets. He's not qualified for a GM job on the other 31 NFL teams, so he takes this one, nothing to lose really. He has a stellar reputation. So either he comes here and turns us around and he's the hero or he comes here and bombs and blames it on our well-known dysfunction. Win-win for him.

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
    The team wasn't actually that bad. They were in the playoff hunt till week 14. And it's not a bad organization.
    Oh, my.

SAR I

these newspaper hacks and beat reporters i have learned know less than what we do and there there just to sell newspapers..would be boring to say idzik is a great hire..must say hes a puppet to rex blah blah blah..tired of the bs...
    Truth hurts "news" reporting.

If you want truth, you may be able to find it from those rooted still in journalism, moreso than reporting. Reporters, like radio hosts, MUST present contrarian points of view and/or embellished truths (see: lies) in order to generate volume. Volume of clicks, calls, views, etc. is how they are measured in their jobs.

The reason Francessa is a huge success is because he knows how to tweak Jets fans and flood his phone lines and keep them tuned to his station.

This is where and how money is made. Journalism on the other hand I think still tries to present facts and interesting stories, so there is a semantic difference. It's like comparing anything Skip Bayless does on ESPN to their show Outside the Lines. Totally different agendas there.

Actually, I don't see the media agenda. The Jets are so media-helpful its ridiculous. The media doesn't have to make stuff up. We supply the laughs ourselves.

Is there another organization in NY that is the victim of this "media agenda"? Am I missing something? Devlis, Rangers, Yankees, Mets, Islanders, Knicks, Nets, Giants. I've been watching and reading the NY media since 1978 and I don't recall any "agenda". Just "reporting".

I'm a Jets fan. A big one. I feel just like the media does. I listen to the radio every day. I hear 100's of Jets fans call in every week and they feel like I do too. I've got 50+ guys who sit in my section of MetLife, they feel the same way. I've got my social circles of friends with lots of Jets fans there too, they feel the same way.

You don't want to hear the truth, but here it is: It's Jets Insider and this strange dynamic between Jets fans in denial that is the 'problem', not everyone else. You sit here reading 20 homers saying "We are going to be okay! We just hired a great GM and a great OC, woo hoo! The media doesn't get it! They've got an agenda!" and you believe it.

Go to a coffee shop. Talk to some Jets fans. Tell me what you hear. It's not going to be anything good. The Jets are the fat kid with the glasses at dodgeball, last one picked. Woody and Ryan are to blame. If anything, the media is showing restraint.

SAR I
    I STOPPED READING YOUR POST RIGHT THERE-YOUR CLUELESS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
    Truth hurts "news" reporting.

If you want truth, you may be able to find it from those rooted still in journalism, moreso than reporting. Reporters, like radio hosts, MUST present contrarian points of view and/or embellished truths (see: lies) in order to generate volume. Volume of clicks, calls, views, etc. is how they are measured in their jobs.

The reason Francessa is a huge success is because he knows how to tweak Jets fans and flood his phone lines and keep them tuned to his station.

This is where and how money is made. Journalism on the other hand I think still tries to present facts and interesting stories, so there is a semantic difference. It's like comparing anything Skip Bayless does on ESPN to their show Outside the Lines. Totally different agendas there.
    ok so you agree with me then?..listen jets have brought alot of bs on to themselves agrees..but when it appears on paper at least they have done there due diligence and hired a competent all around new age GM..right away these hacks start trying to rip them apart..and using misguided info..like hes just a cap guy...as a jet fan of over 35 years im just as critical and sometimes have the SOJ mentality but lets be fair here on paper this is a good hire now lets see how it plays out..

ok so you agree with me then?..listen jets have brought alot of bs on to themselves agrees..but when it appears on paper at least they have done there due diligence and hired a competent all around new age GM..right away these hacks start trying to rip them apart..and using misguided info..like hes just a cap guy...as a jet fan of over 35 years im just as critical and sometimes have the SOJ mentality but lets be fair here on paper this is a good hire now lets see how it plays out..
    If 10 years ago I was a phone repair man and for the last 10 years I've been a house painter, no one would consider me a "qualified phone repair man" anymore.

It's wonderful that in the stone age Idzik had some personnel experience. Those NCAA coaches and NCAA players are all gone now. Who is he networked with? What does he know of the next 3 classes of players?

He's going to do a good job with the cap and get the organization into a professional groove. I feel good there. But drafting players? Completely out of his league right now. That's all the reporters are saying. Millions of Jets fans too.

SAR I

I STOPPED READING YOUR POST RIGHT THERE-YOUR CLUELESS!!!
    I STOPPED READING YOUR POST RIGHT THERE- YOU'RE GULLIBLE!!!

SAR I

Yes. In reading Idzy's background, I feel that they found a great candidate.

I pay no attention to the varying points of view in the media. ESPECIALLY the ones that have been flooding twitter the past week with "zomg just a cap guy" fuel.

The media is losing credibility....and they know it...

Listen we simply do not know what this guy will do, but to paint this as a horrible hire before his first press conference is just stupid....Some people on the board just like to be these "shockjock" posters who just like to see themselves post and fire everyone up....

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    That wasn't the point he said the 6-10 season felt like pre Parcells.. I just wondered what he thought the 4-12 seasons felt like.. Nowhere did I say anything about accepting mediocrity nor should any fan..
    Agreed
    4-12 in 2005 ended the Herm and Bradway era
    4-12 in 2007 ended the Chad era
    6-10 in 2012 + Sanchez/Homes contracts ended the Tannenbaum era
    (and yes I would trade 2 wins to erase Tebow and Thanksgiving performances)

so

4-12 in 2013 will end the Ryan era or Jets make the playoffs

I am encouraged by positive comments on our new GM, especially from Tony since they rebuilt Tampa Bay

Jets Insider VIP
    A good Jets team with little noise or distraction doesn't sell papers or get website views. Tattoos, clown car graphics on the back page, a manufactured "mess of a GM search"....that stuff helps the local dooshes sell their tabloids. Simple as that.

The GM hire was a good one IMO. Idzik is talented, well-respected, and a winner in the NFL.

I guess the editors and writers at the local paper sat around and said, "time to write a story that this new Jets GM. Solid guy, Dartmouth, grew up playing and coaching, helped build winning teams around the NFL....hmmmm....how about we say this guy doesn't know football???"
    Last edited by jetstream23; 01-20-2013 at 11:14 AM.

If 10 years ago I was a phone repair man and for the last 10 years I've been a house painter, no one would consider me a "qualified phone repair man" anymore.

It's wonderful that in the stone age Idzik had some personnel experience. Those NCAA coaches and NCAA players are all gone now. Who is he networked with? What does he know of the next 3 classes of players?

He's going to do a good job with the cap and get the organization into a professional groove. I feel good there. But drafting players? Completely out of his league right now. That's all the reporters are saying. Millions of Jets fans too.

SAR I
    He is a general manager. Part of his job is to hire people beneath him that augment his ability to do this job and lead this front office. With a background like his, exposure to both salary and personnel, he should be equally adept at building a staff that helps him manage the cap and evaluate and acquire talent better than Tanny.

Your hysterics don't matter. Your "10 years ago" scenario is short sighted.

Unfortunately his experience as a personnel guy had to come at a different time than as a salary guy.... if they'd come at the same time, then his old job would have been called GENERAL MANAGER.

Since we hired a guy that has not done this job before, we have to hire a guy that has pieced the qualifications together over the course of his career, and who is ready now to leverage his combined experiences in the GM role.

It's really hard to respect anyone on this site (or in the media) with the narrow point of view that his most recent job is the only determinant of what he is and can only be good at. It's like dealing with a bunch of people that have done the same job themselves since they were 16.

He is a general manager. Part of his job is to hire people beneath him that augment his ability to do this job and lead this front office. With a background like his, exposure to both salary and personnel, he should be equally adept at building a staff that helps him manage the cap and evaluate and acquire talent better than Tanny.

Your hysterics don't matter. Your "10 years ago" scenario is short sighted.

Unfortunately his experience as a personnel guy had to come at a different time than as a salary guy.... if they'd come at the same time, then his old job would have been called GENERAL MANAGER.

Since we hired a guy that has not done this job before, we have to hire a guy that has pieced the qualifications together over the course of his career, and who is ready now to leverage his combined experiences in the GM role.

It's really hard to respect anyone on this site (or in the media) with the narrow point of view that his most recent job is the only determinant of what he is and can only be good at. It's like dealing with a bunch of people that have done the same job themselves since they were 16.
    Dont bother John hes just trying to be outrageous so he gets attention.....shockjock posting at its finest....

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    A good Jets team with little noise or distraction doesn't see papers or get website views. Tattoos, clown car graphics on the back page, a manufactured "mess of a GM search"....that stuff helps the local dooshes sell their tabloids. Simple as that.

The GM hire was a good one IMO. Idzik is talented, well-respected, and a winner in the NFL.

I guess the editors and writers at the local paper sat around and said, "time to write a story that this new Jets GM. Solid guy, Dartmouth, grew up playing and coaching, helped build winning teams around the NFL....hmmmm....how about we say this guy doesn't know football???"
    More like:

1. Say he's Tanny 2.0 and exploit the 40+ years of defeat and pessimism of Jet fans
    2. ?
    3. Profit $$$$$$

Quote Originally Posted by tfine350z View Post
    Dont bother John hes just trying to be outrageous so he gets attention.....shockjock posting at its finest....
    Indeed. He's very much a caricature of the media/radio types I described. Yet, for all his effort... no revenue.

Indeed. He's very much a caricature of the media/radio types I described. Yet, for all his effort... no revenue.
    exactly!!!