Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fellow Jets Fans: Please Vote to Help My Synagogue Recover From Hurricane Sandy

Mods- Please move this to the "Don't tell SAR-1 what to do with his fun money," Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    I am truly sorry to hear about the damage, and my comments are not directed at the OP, but...

How dare Seforim make this a social media competition to increase page likes - as if social media savvy and popularity should determine who receives a donation.

Seforim should be ashamed.
    I agree completely with this post. Aren't all synagogues hit by the hurricane worthy? Why a social media competition?

What's wrong with just straight tzedakah and not some phony competition?

Hall Of Fame
    Vote for me to get money. I'm really a nice guy! Really! Let me get some, aight?
    Lets go, hook it up! Send me some cash. Be good simarillion!

Done!

Thanks, all

Quote Originally Posted by Queens Jet Fan View Post
    I agree completely with this post. Aren't all synagogues hit by the hurricane worthy? Why a social media competition?

What's wrong with just straight tzedakah and not some phony competition?
    Because dividing the donation to help every synagogue would lead to relatively insignificant amounts being given to the various institutions in question (I think there are 6 or seven on the list), so there has to be a method of picking one. Given that, why not use social media and public response to pick it? A number of other charities do the same.

Bewildered Beast
    All set here, Akiva. Best of luck.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, we were mangled in Hurricane Andrew..

Voted for you. Good luck, hope you win!

Quote Originally Posted by SCITSCAT View Post
    Sorry to hear about your troubles, we were mangled in Hurricane Andrew..

Voted for you. Good luck, hope you win!
    Thanks. Funny thing is, I was living in Miami for Andrew too. Rode out the storm at Parkway hospital (where my mother worked). Did cleanup/relief work in Homestead, after - and what I've seen in the shore towns after Sandy reminds me a lot of the houses after Andrew. Different reasons (wind v. water), same result