Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Idzik has excelled at everything he's done why would this job be any different?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Idzik has excelled at everything he's done why would this job be any different?

There seem to be people here and in the media who insist that John Idzik is a CAP guy with little to no experience in the player, scouting and evaluation arena. I don't believe his experience in the player personnel side is nearly as sparse as some are making it out to be. Clearly he has been involved in the personnel side to some extent. Tony Dungy - who actually worked side by side with the man I might add - has said that Idzik knows talent. It has also been reported by numerous sources that Idzik has actively been involved in scouting the last couple of years and has went out on scouting trips which means he has to have been involved in player evaluation to some extent.

It's pretty obvious Idzik is a young bright up and coming football mind that is very well respected by those who know him and have worked with him. Idzik has also excelled at every position he has held within an NFL organization and is coming from a franchise where he was an integral part of rebuilding it & turning it around. His track record of success everywhere he has been is pretty well documented.

Still there are those who will criticize the man and the hire without Idzik having served one full day on the job.

So, my question is this...

What factual basis is there for anybody to think that John Idzik will not excel as general manager of the New York Jets?

Again, I am asking for facts here - not opinions, so, with that in mind, fire away......
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 01-20-2013 at 01:56 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's really entertaining to see how all the criticism of Idzik came out first, and only after did anyone bother to actually look into his background and report on it. Today, we see multiple in-depth articles about his background and life, completely contradicting the earlier 'reports'. It's disgraceful that those 'reporters' even have jobs, for the 'work' that they do.

The Jets are very lucky to snag this guy with the background he brings. The team is currently a mess and needs someone with expertise in all the areas comprising a GM's job. Korn Ferry seems to know what they're doing and Woody really approached this methodically for once, ignoring the piranhas in the media. I hope the Jets continue to stick it to them.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    It's really entertaining to see how all the criticism of Idzik came out first, and only after did anyone bother to actually look into his background and report on it. Today, we see multiple in-depth articles about his background and life, completely contradicting the earlier 'reports'. It's disgraceful that those 'reporters' even have jobs, for the 'work' that they do.

The Jets are very lucky to snag this guy with the background he brings. The team is currently a mess and needs someone with expertise in all the areas comprising a GM's job. Korn Ferry seems to know what they're doing and Woody really approached this methodically for once, ignoring the piranhas in the media. I hope the Jets continue to stick it to them.
    Calling some of these hacks "reporters" is a crime.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 01-20-2013 at 01:23 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    Calling some of these hacks "reporters" is a crime.
    It's disgraceful.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you. We need someone at the helm to right this ship first and Idzik has the credentials to do just that. With some real leadership he can add personnel experts as he needs. We need someone to lead and build a credible organization. My hope is he can.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Because it's the Jets, and the Jets can't have nice things. At least, that's the reason I've been given.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

I bolded your most important point.

While the search generated outrage on this board and the media was very critical, I was glad to see a thourough, methodical and deliberate search.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Because it's the Jets, and the Jets can't have nice things. At least, that's the reason I've been given.
    I know you said that tongue in cheek McGinley, the sad thing is I think there are a fair amount of people, fans and journalists alike, that really believe that.

Thats a big part of the negative stigma around the Jets.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeSauer View Post
    I agree with you. We need someone at the helm to right this ship first and Idzik has the credentials to do just that. With some real leadership he can add personnel experts as he needs. We need someone to lead and build a credible organization. My hope is he can.
    You mean a GM can do that? I thought the GM had to personally work out every draft eligible college player, prepare the scouting report and then read his own report.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really believe the main reason Idzik doesn't have as much experience in scouting as many who are critical of the hire would prefer is because his business acumen is so high that he was moved away from the talent side of things. I think after his first year, Idzik will start asserting himself in whatever direction he feels necessary. If it means replacing or supplementing Bradway and company - hopefully he will do so.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by simijet View Post
    I really believe the main reason Idzik doesn't have as much experience in scouting as many who are critical of the hire would prefer is because his business acumen is so high that he was moved away from the talent side of things. I think after his first year, Idzik will start asserting himself in whatever direction he feels necessary. If it means replacing or supplementing Bradway and company - hopefully he will do so.
    There is no question that as the GM, Idzik will have all the authority he needs in rearranging the scouting department as he sees fit.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    There seem to be people here and in the media who insist that John Idzik is a CAP guy with little to no experience in the player, scouting and evaluation arena. I don't believe his experience in the player personnel side is nearly as sparse as some are making it out to be. Clearly he has been involved in the personnel side to some extent. Tony Dungy - who actually worked side by side with the man I might add - has said that Idzik knows talent. It has also been reported by numerous sources that Idzik has actively been involved in scouting the last couple of years and has went out on scouting trips which means he has to have been involved in player evaluation to some extent.

It's pretty obvious Idzik is a young bright up and coming football mind that is very well respected by those who know him and have worked with him. Idzik has also excelled at every position he has held within an NFL organization and is coming from a franchise where he was an integral part of rebuilding it & turning it around. His track record of success everywhere he has been is pretty well documented.

Still there are those who will criticize the man and the hire without Idzik having served one full day on the job.

So, my question is this...

What factual basis is there for anybody to think that John Idzik will not excel as general manager of the New York Jets?

Again, I am asking for facts here - not opinions, so, with that in mind, fire away......
    SAR knows! He thinks its a return to mediocrity.

I think Sar is wrong! I like the hire of Idzik!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    That about sums it up, it reminds me of the time we drafted Coples, before we drafted him he was supposed to go much earlier in the Draft, when he fell to us, he all of the sudden had motor issues.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post

It doesn't bother me if a Jets fan doesn't like the choice. But it strikes a nerve when a Jets fan bases this judgment on the propoganda spewed by a dishonest, arrogant, professional Jets Hater who would have been spewing the wisdom and virtues of selecting Idzik if it had been the Giants.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe Woody and Rex?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by simijet View Post
    Point being is just because Idzik may not have tons of experience doing it, doesn't mean he is not fully capable of doing it and there-in lyes my point.

Most of the media knucklefuks just assume because he doesn't have decades of experience doing it that he is going to fail miserably and thats just plain assanine when you look at Izdik's record of achievement thus far in his career.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 01-20-2013 at 06:45 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Point being is just because Idzik may not have tons of experience doing it, doesn't mean he is not fully capable of doing it and there-in lyes my point.
    Agree completely

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post

+111111111111111

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Blast View Post
    I bolded your most important point.

While the search generated outrage on this board and the media was very critical, I was glad to see a thourough, methodical and deliberate search.
    Me too

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...85&postcount=4

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Slow, deliberate and methodical is better than fast, misguided and uninformed.

Jets fans aren't a patient bunch. When other teams start hiring new GMs or Head Coaches before the Jets do hysteria sweeps the message board!

"What is Woody doing???"

"Nobody wants the Jets job!"

"All the good GM candidates are gone!"

Well hogwash. I, for one, like the way this is playing out. I believe that casting their net far and wide, taking their time, and using the assistance of a professional search firm will give us a good result.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Because SOJFs iz diks