Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What adjustments did Ravens make in upper management to get over hump?

What adjustments did Ravens make in upper management to get over hump?

I mean they pretty much stuck with the same roster only adding RB's to keep Rice from emptying the tank so early, and what else? Beliving in Flacco? Letting Flacco have more freedom? I'm not 100% focused on their personnel moves does anybody know if they stacked their O Line or got younger at linebacker or something?

I just want to know what they did as an organization to improve personnel to get over that hump. This team was knocking on the door the past 4 years and finally pushed thru. What was the key? I know Flacco's development had a huge deal to do with it and firing their terrible OC. Anything else?

Quote Originally Posted by LadainianIMnotDONE View Post
    I mean they pretty much stuck with the same roster only adding RB's to keep Rice from emptying the tank so early, and what else? Beliving in Flacco? Letting Flacco have more freedom? I'm not 100% focused on their personnel moves does anybody know if they stacked their O Line or got younger at linebacker or something?

I just want to know what they did as an organization to improve personnel to get over that hump. This team was knocking on the door the past 4 years and finally pushed thru. What was the key? I know Flacco's development had a huge deal to do with it and firing their terrible OC. Anything else?
    They did NOT hire their heir apparent DC Rex Ryan. After watching him be boastful, big mouth and unable to be a true HC they went with a relative unknown.

A more cerebral HC, a DB coach. Who under his tenure has led the Ravens to balanced drafting.

They did not overpay guys 50mil, drafted offensive players like Flacco and developed him. Ray Rice, and many other offensive players.

They recognized that you must score to win. Great defense was valued but so was scoring and they stayed competitive on offense.

Hall Of Fame
    They hired Harbaugh over Rex. Best and most important decision they ever made.

They paid Ray Lewis instead of Bart Scott. Kept their leadership intact.

They invested in offense.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

All Good Points.....

At the end of the day they had a plan as opposed to wanting to be just in the newspapers.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    They did NOT hire their heir apparent DC Rex Ryan. After watching him be boastful, big mouth and unable to be a true HC they went with a relative unknown.

A more cerebral HC, a DB coach. Who under his tenure has led the Ravens to balanced drafting.

They did not overpay guys 50mil, drafted offensive players like Flacco and developed him. Ray Rice, and many other offensive players.

They recognized that you must score to win. Great defense was valued but so was scoring and they stayed competitive on offense.
    +1 Well said.

Ozzie Newsome.

He and his scouting staff run circles around their counterparts with the Jets.

All Pro

This is what the Jets did not do.

the ravens roster is a really good one. very well balanced players who arent really superstars but know how to get the job done. they are also a well coached team.

Banned

That's an excellent post.

Ravens are a very well run organization from top to bottom.

Right, it has nothing to do with Flacco instead of Sanchez or Ray Rice instead of Greene.

Up until this season, Rex and Harbaugh had been to the same amount of AFC Title games.

I love fans!!!

What do you know about Harbaugh's involvement in drafting? Does he have any? I think on the contrary Rex has shown the ability to do more with less than most any other coach. Give him a really good team like the Harbaugh's have and I think he would do at least as well. Granted his focus on the defense is part of the reason for no offensive players but that should come from the top. I have no idea how involved John has been in shaping the style of the team (and lately it looks like it has less of an identity, not more), but Jim has benefited greatly from falling into a team who sucked for a decade and his stacked with players.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    What do you know about Harbaugh's involvement in drafting? Does he have any? I think on the contrary Rex has shown the ability to do more with less than most any other coach. Give him a really good team like the Harbaugh's have and I think he would do at least as well. Granted his focus on the defense is part of the reason for no offensive players but that should come from the top. I have no idea how involved John has been in shaping the style of the team (and lately it looks like it has less of an identity, not more), but Jim has benefited greatly from falling into a team who sucked for a decade and his stacked with players.
    You have taken my post too literally. The drafting is clearly/probably Newsome with lesser benefit to Harbaugh but you get the idea.

They are balanced in their approach and recognize offensive needs as well as defensive.

Rex do more with less? That is funny. He has to becasue we have less. In part thanks to him.

My biggest beef with our FO is our inability to manage people. We should have done more to keep Braylon and Cotch for example. They lost and WE lost. Management is more than cap and numbers. It is player development and management of expactations.

You have taken my post too literally. The drafting is clearly/probably Newsome with lesser benefit to Harbaugh but you get the idea.

They are balanced in their approach and recognize offensive needs as well as defensive.

Rex do more with less? That is funny. He has to becasue we have less. In part thanks to him.

My biggest beef with our FO is our inability to manage people. We should have done more to keep Braylon and Cotch for example. They lost and WE lost. Management is more than cap and numbers. It is player development and management of expactations.
    Thanks for the clarification. I'm just starting to get tired of the already building lionization of the Harbaughs and their fabulous coaching abilities. And by the end of the next two weeks they'll already be in the HOF no doubt. Rex may not be the greatest coach in the world but we have seen some pretty crappy coaching up into the playoffs, bad decisions and clock management, etc. Rex is getting killed for bad coaching but there is no comparison in the rosters between the teams in the playoffs and what he's had to work with, and I'm sure his comment about wanting to be fired if better offensive players weren't added had to do with that.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    Right, it has nothing to do with Flacco instead of Sanchez or Ray Rice instead of Greene.

Up until this season, Rex and Harbaugh had been to the same amount of AFC Title games.

I love fans!!!
    Flacco is better than Sanchez. Rice is better than Greene. You can add those to the list.

But that doesn't change the legitimacy of anything else I said.

I love you too.

Flacco is better than Sanchez. Rice is better than Greene. You can add those to the list.

But that doesn't change the legitimacy of anything else I said.

I love you too.
    Thanks Bro

Rookie
    Notice two things that the 49er's and the Ravens did this season. They made changes in the middle of the season when they saw something was not working.
    Kapernick was put in for Alex Smith for the 49er's
    Cam Cameron was fired and Caldwell took over of the offense for the Ravens.

Key point is that they evaluated the talent and made the necessary move. Yes it could have gone either way, but unless you take a chance and believe in your football people you settle for good instead of great.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post

I love fans!!!
    Jets fans are an interesting group of moaners.

Their coaching history is pretty similar, yet we want the other guy. We have a group that downplays Rex's 2 AFCCG appearances yet somehow someone else with that same legacy is a better coach.

I could make the argument that the Ravens have had more talent than the Jets ever had under Rex, so the same title games instead of more is advantage Rex.

Not to Jets fans who always see their glass as half full.

Quote Originally Posted by NYDreamer View Post
    Notice two things that the 49er's and the Ravens did this season. They made changes in the middle of the season when they saw something was not working.
    Kapernick was put in for Alex Smith for the 49er's
    Cam Cameron was fired and Caldwell took over of the offense for the Ravens.

Key point is that they evaluated the talent and made the necessary move. Yes it could have gone either way, but unless you take a chance and believe in your football people you settle for good instead of great.
    yes but mark sanchez still gives us the best chance to win. thanks rex

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Jets fans are an interesting group of moaners.

Their coaching history is pretty similar, yet we want the other guy. We have a group that downplays Rex's 2 AFCCG appearances yet somehow someone else with that same legacy is a better coach.

I could make the argument that the Ravens have had more talent than the Jets ever had under Rex, so the same title games instead of more is advantage Rex.
    Excellent!!!

this about sums it up!!!