Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Non-Teacher Evaluation Deal Between the UFT and DOE (Bloomberg) of NYC

  1. #1
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,252
    Post Thanks / Like

    Non-Teacher Evaluation Deal Between the UFT and DOE (Bloomberg) of NYC

    Article relating to the failed teacher evaluation in NYC

    The passing of the January 17 deadline for a new evaluation agreement is not an ending but a beginning. Now the DOE (Bloomberg) will work overtime to spin doctor the failure to reach an agreement on new teacher evaluations, mandated by New York State’s version of Race to the Top, as the fault of Michael Mulgrew and union leadership. This despite the fact that every indication shows it was Bloomberg who failed to negotiate in good faith.

    While educators applaud the UFT leadership for standing their ground, the MORE Caucus has no intention of giving up the fight to prevent teachers and students from being given over to the standardized testing regime. We know there will be efforts in the future to convert our schools into low-level thinking factories and our teachers into low-skilled, low-paid bureaucratic functionaries.

    So, why did the evaluation deal fall through? We believe there is no one particular reason. Instead, there were a variety of reasons all working in concert to torpedo this deal. Understanding these reasons will help us understand what the post-non-evaluation DOE will look like:

    Reason #1: Race to the Top is Bad Policy

    Probably the most fundamental reason why there was no deal is because Race to the Top is bad policy. This goes beyond anything the UFT, city or state did. This has to do with the Obama Administration’s embrace of standardized testing as a way to measure teacher effectiveness. Obama and his Secretary of Education, Arne Duncan, often describe themselves as leaders bent on rolling back the Bush-era No Child Left Behind system of testing. However, their RTTT program merely means more testing and, in many ways, an expansion of the NCLB system. Students, parents and teachers have been steadily crushed by high-stakes tests over the past 12 years that are turning education into a stultifying affair. Both NCLB and RTTT erode creativity, free-thinking and openness in our public schools. This fact leads into the second reason why the deal fell through:

    Reason #2: A Growing Backlash against Education Reform


    PBS recently ran an hour Frontline special on Michelle Rhee. Despite the fact that Frontline barely scratched the surface on criticizing Rhee’s tenure as D.C.’s school chancellor, the fact that a major national media outlet was critical of her to any degree is quite a development. We have come a long way from the days of when she graced the cover of Time Magazine as the hero education reformer.

    At the start of the current school year, the Chicago Teacher’s Union went out on strike against Mayor Rahm Emmanuel’s Obama-inspired school reform agenda. They took to the streets to call for a better school day for children and work day for staff. By all indications, the parents of Chicago stood on the side of the teachers and against Emmanuel’s leadership of the Chicago school system. Again, this represented a change in previous actions by the CTU, whose previous leadership stressed compromise and conciliation with so-called reformers like Emmanuel.

    Most recently, the teachers of several Seattle schools opted out of that state’s MAP exam to protest the high-stakes testing regime that has rolled over every school system in the land. Just like the Frontline story and the CTU strike, any type of organized opt-out of an exam would have been unthinkable a few years ago.

    People across the country are beginning to realize that the so-called education “reformers” are really the status quo. They have had their way for over a decade and the backlash seems to be afoot.

    Reason #3: High-Handed and Un-Democratic School Leadership

    Both Michael Mulgrew and Leo Casey have stated that the evaluation deal fell through because of Mayor Bloomberg’s “my way or the highway” approach. This is the type of approach Bloomberg used when he demolished the Board of Education which, for all of its faults, was at least subject to a democratic process. In place of the BOE, Bloomberg created a Panel for Educational Policy whose votes he largely controls. The PEP has been the body that has decided to close over 100 city schools at the behest of the mayor. They have done so over massive protests of parents and community leaders who know how devastating school closures can be to a community. When UFT leaders say the mayor has a “my way or the highway” approach at the negotiating table, we are inclined to believe them.

    Unfortunately, the same forces that have given rise to dictatorial mayoral control schemes around the country are also responsible for our own union’s lack of democracy. Since these education reform policies are wholly unpopular, and since our union leaders do not want to be seen as obstacles to “progress”, they have been forced to take a “conciliation” approach with “reformer” mayors who run school districts. In turn, they have been required to turn to increasingly un-democratic means to silence their members who understand that these reforms are harmful to our schools.

    Therefore, educators applaud and stick by thier union leaders in the resistance to the RTTT evaluation deal, educators also understand that most of the work lies ahead of them. This rejection of school “reform” is part and parcel of a wider nationwide backlash against what has passed as “improvement” in education over the past 10 years. This is a backlash that has taken place as a popular movement, not a top-down one.

    MORE is on the frontlines of this popular backlash. The goal of educators are to appropriate the title of “reformer” from those that have it now: Rhee, Bloomberg, Duncan, Emmanuel. The people are beginning to see that these reformers are actually some of the most retrograde and centralizing forces in education today.

    The future of school reform is here. It is the democratic voice of the true stakeholders in the education system.
    Last edited by copernicus; 01-20-2013 at 04:00 PM.

  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    14,460
    Post Thanks / Like
    What, no link to the source? http://morecaucusnyc.org/2013/01/18/...e-uft-and-doe/

    And who is "morecaucusnyc.org"?

    The onslaught of high-stakes testing, privatization, weakening or elimination of job protections, school closings and charter co- locations threatens the very existence of public education as we know it. Unionized teachers in particular have been singled out for demonization. The strategy put forth by our union leadership to take on these challenges is inadequate. UFT officials rely primarily on lobbying, media blitzes and procedural lawsuits. When occasional mobilizations are called, they are organized without a long-term plan for escalating actions or increased membership involvement. The union leadership takes a concessionary stance in order to maintain its “seat at the table” with politicians and corporate forces like Bill Gates, who turn around and attack teachers and the union at every opportunity. Union leadership then sells serious concessions to the members as victories claiming – “It could have worse”.
    http://morecaucusnyc.org/why-we-need...us-in-the-uft/

    What a shock - Copernicus posting an "article" from a subsection of the UFT that thinks the UFT has been too conciliatory is suggesting that everything is Bloomberg's fault

  3. #3
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    14,460
    Post Thanks / Like
    The future of school reform is here. It is the democratic voice of the true stakeholders in the education system.
    Think they mean "the children and parents"? Because something tells me they think the "true stakeholders" are the teachers.

  4. #4
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    Most high school grads cant point out the US on a world map.

    Very troubling.

  5. #5
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,172
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Most high school grads cant point out the US on a world map.

    Very troubling.
    Define most. link?

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,252
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    What, no link to the source? http://morecaucusnyc.org/2013/01/18/...e-uft-and-doe/

    And who is "morecaucusnyc.org"?


    http://morecaucusnyc.org/why-we-need...us-in-the-uft/

    What a shock - Copernicus posting an "article" from a subsection of the UFT that thinks the UFT has been too conciliatory is suggesting that everything is Bloomberg's fault
    This was the unions last stand. The UFT finally stood up to Bloomberg. They decided to give up a lot of money to stand up for what is right. And it does seem like the right time. The city is in shambles and the mayors ratings are in the ****ter. It does kill me how bloomy and Walcott can outright lie and get away with it. Both guys have said that the UFt changed the agreement at the last minute, but the state representative that was at the table has said that is not true.

  7. #7
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    greenwich village, NYC
    Posts
    8,116
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    This was the unions last stand. The UFT finally stood up to Bloomberg. They decided to give up a lot of money to stand up for what is right. And it does seem like the right time. The city is in shambles and the mayors ratings are in the ****ter. It does kill me how bloomy and Walcott can outright lie and get away with it. Both guys have said that the UFt changed the agreement at the last minute, but the state representative that was at the table has said that is not true.
    This must stop. You are creating a circus atmosphere on the politics board. Not to mention that posting from a Union source as if it's objective smacks as downright unprofessional. What would Rex and Woody say? Sad. Truly sad.

  8. #8
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Charm City Region
    Posts
    886
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    This must stop. You are creating a circus atmosphere on the politics board. Not to mention that posting from a Union source as if it's objective smacks as downright unprofessional. What would Rex and Woody say? Sad. Truly sad.
    Bingo.

    Do your career a favor man. Stop going to the union meetings and swallowing their propaganda-flavored kool-aid. Take a step back and consider the opinions of those that aren't teachers.

    Its pretty clear that administrative policies and high-stakes testing are really hindering education. Unfortunately the voter or taxpayer can't see that for themselves because the unions are shoving it down their throats.

    By-and-large, teacher unions do little for teachers and less for schools. What if just one year, the UFT, instead of begging for more money, made their cause about financial accountability of the top? Or improving instructional materials. You know, something for the students. Think about the kind of voter support the unions could earn. Wouldn't it then be a little bit more reasonable for appropriate raises? Teachers care more about their students than they do themselves, or at least 9/10 teachers I know. Why not let the union show that?

    The other solution for you would be to find a new profession. It's not at all easy, but it definitely is a different world once you leave.

    Regardless, do yourself a favor and take a step back to do your own research and see the big picture.

  9. #9
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,611
    Post Thanks / Like
    What I want to know if why Doggin felt the need to bump an obvious Union Propaganda Piece instead of letting it die the obvious death it was destined for.

    It's a safe bet, if Copernicus posts it in here, it will:

    -Be Union Propaganda
    -Will Blame Bush and No Child left Behind
    -Will Blame Bloomberg.
    -Will proclaim Teachers as being too dedicated, too faithful, too concillitory, and giving in on too much already to give in more.
    -Will summarize to "pay Teachers more, with more benefits, and less oversight, cause Teachers are better than you and I".

    Same way if Copernicus posts it on the Strip, it will:

    -Blame and hate Woody because he is a rich (R).

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,252
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasper17 View Post
    Bingo.

    Do your career a favor man. Stop going to the union meetings and swallowing their propaganda-flavored kool-aid. Take a step back and consider the opinions of those that aren't teachers.

    Its pretty clear that administrative policies and high-stakes testing are really hindering education. Unfortunately the voter or taxpayer can't see that for themselves because the unions are shoving it down their throats.

    By-and-large, teacher unions do little for teachers and less for schools. What if just one year, the UFT, instead of begging for more money, made their cause about financial accountability of the top? Or improving instructional materials. You know, something for the students. Think about the kind of voter support the unions could earn. Wouldn't it then be a little bit more reasonable for appropriate raises? Teachers care more about their students than they do themselves, or at least 9/10 teachers I know. Why not let the union show that?

    The other solution for you would be to find a new profession. It's not at all easy, but it definitely is a different world once you leave.

    Regardless, do yourself a favor and take a step back to do your own research and see the big picture.
    Great response. I feel that many here believe that I am over the top pro union. The reality is that I am not. I support my union because they are the only ones remotely defending teachers along with some parents who are smart enough to understand what is really going on. The media that is controlled by the Rupert Murdocks of the world would like nothing better than to get rid of unions so they can revert back to a time of low wages and less worker rights.

    No Child Left Behind under GW Bush opened up a money train for testing companies. President Obama continued this manipulation of education. Its been over 10 years!!!! It is a colossal failure. Do you believe it continues because the UFT mentions this? Or is it because it makes so much money for testing companies connected to politicians that they dont care if it actually is hurting children and giving them less of an education.

    How do you think the union does not show teachers at their best?

    Teachers responded to Hurricane Sandy to hand out food and clothing. They responded to their schools during a week where they themselves had no power and minimal resources. It was all over the UFT paper. Surprisingly (ha ha) it didnt make any of the local news or news papers.

    I wonder why?

  11. #11
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13,179
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    Great response. I feel that many here believe that I am over the top pro union. The reality is that I am not. I support my union because they are the only ones remotely defending teachers along with some parents who are smart enough to understand what is really going on. The media that is controlled by the Rupert Murdocks of the world would like nothing better than to get rid of unions so they can revert back to a time of low wages and less worker rights.

    No Child Left Behind under GW Bush opened up a money train for testing companies. President Obama continued this manipulation of education. Its been over 10 years!!!! It is a colossal failure. Do you believe it continues because the UFT mentions this? Or is it because it makes so much money for testing companies connected to politicians that they dont care if it actually is hurting children and giving them less of an education.

    How do you think the union does not show teachers at their best?

    Teachers responded to Hurricane Sandy to hand out food and clothing. They responded to their schools during a week where they themselves had no power and minimal resources. It was all over the UFT paper. Surprisingly (ha ha) it didnt make any of the local news or news papers.

    I wonder why?
    When they are continual fighting against standards and using personal attacks as their role to destroy the process.

  12. #12
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    What I want to know if why Doggin felt the need to bump an obvious Union Propaganda Piece instead of letting it die the obvious death it was destined for.

    It's a safe bet, if Copernicus posts it in here, it will:

    -Be Union Propaganda
    -Will Blame Bush and No Child left Behind
    -Will Blame Bloomberg.
    -Will proclaim Teachers as being too dedicated, too faithful, too concillitory, and giving in on too much already to give in more.
    -Will summarize to "pay Teachers more, with more benefits, and less oversight, cause Teachers are better than you and I".

    Same way if Copernicus posts it on the Strip, it will:

    -Blame and hate Woody because he is a rich (R).
    This is a political forum. That is his right.

    Why do you feel the need to belittle people because your thought of a good thread disagrees from his?


    You are a talented "poster" but you also my friend start more threads here than anyone, more than half of which are ridiculous.

    I disagree with COP'R almost entirely but he is entitle to post without being directly insulted.
    Last edited by southparkcpa; 01-22-2013 at 12:20 PM.

  13. #13
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,001
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    When they are continual fighting against standards and using personal attacks as their role to destroy the process.
    +1,

    If teachers unions want to be perceived as being on the side of better education as opposed to merely interested in the compensation of teachers they need to:

    1.) Detail how teacher performance can be objectively measured. Exposing flaws and shortcomings in the current testing model simply isn't good enough.

    2.) Completely abandon their defense of tenure. You want to increase benefits and compensation for prolonged service as a teacher? That's great. But making someone harder to dismiss as they gain experience in their profession is stupid, and unique to the teaching profession. As your experience (and compensation) increases, you ought to be held to a higher standard, not put wrapped up in protective "tenured" status.

    Until these things happen, and "backlash" against education reform is going to be isolated to pro-union propaganda pieces.

  14. #14
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,843
    Post Thanks / Like
    NY Public Schools have standards? What are they?

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    greenwich village, NYC
    Posts
    8,116
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    This is a political forum. That is his right.

    Why do you feel the need to belittle people because your thought of a good thread disagrees from his?


    You are a talented "poster" but you also my friend start more threads here than anyone, more than half of which are ridiculous.

    I disagree with COP'R almost entirely but he is entitle to post without being directly insulted.
    You're no fun. Who would you put your money on, a dead chicken with a fishhead smoking a cigarette, or a guy who names himself after a Polish astronomer and thinks the world revolves around school teachers? You can't make this stuff up. I say put em in a room dressed up like their avatars and make em duke it out. My money's on the Scottish fish-chicken.

  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,252
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    You're no fun. Who would you put your money on, a dead chicken with a fishhead smoking a cigarette, or a guy who names himself after a Polish astronomer and thinks the world revolves around school teachers? You can't make this stuff up. I say put em in a room dressed up like their avatars and make em duke it out. My money's on the Scottish fish-chicken.
    LOL, at the very least my avatar is a golden retriever, that has to count for something.

    BTW, would you put your money on a leprechaun?

    You cant make this stuff up..............

  17. #17
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,611
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    This is a political forum. That is his right.
    Absolutely. As it is mine to be critical of such viewpoints.

    Why do you feel the need to belittle people because your thought of a good thread disagrees from his?
    Why do you feel the need to be critical of my being critical because you disagree with my being critical, Mr. E-White Knight?

    You are a talented "poster" but you also my friend start more threads here than anyone, more than half of which are ridiculous.
    Why so critical? Didn't you just suggest being critical about what posters post is verboten?

    I disagree with COP'R almost entirely but he is entitle to post without being directly insulted.
    You're half right, he's absolutely entitled to post anything he wants within the rules.

    As am I.

    If I'm harder on ol' Copernicus than most (and I probably am) it's because of the very VERY high regard I once held him in. Like Top-10 poster type regard, personal favorite, etc, etc, etc. No one likes to see the guys they admire and respect transform into....well, enough said.

  18. #18
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,999
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Why do you feel the need to belittle people because your thought of a good thread disagrees from his?
    Because thats what he does. Constantly.

  19. #19
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,999
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasper17 View Post
    Its pretty clear that administrative policies and high-stakes testing are really hindering education. Unfortunately the voter or taxpayer can't see that for themselves because the unions are shoving it down their throats.
    Is it your belief that teachers unions are shoving testing down people's throats?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us