Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: This game shows why you pay Revis

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Curtis Martin!!!!

What?????
    Great?? Like I always say Vinny has more passing yardage and TD's then Montana does that make him great?? It makes him a durable player that had longivity.. Unless you think 14 yds rushing in a AFCCG was a thing of beauty..

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    Yep... that is why you make an effort to sign him to a new deal now... If you can't come to a mutual comfortable deal, you figure out plan b, which may be to move him...
    I'd be willing to guarantee that if the Jets approached Revis about a deal right now, he'd turn them down.

Dollars to donuts says that he wants to prove he's 100% next season and back to his old self, then he'll ask for the moon and the stars.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I'd be willing to guarantee that if the Jets approached Revis about a deal right now, he'd turn them down.

Dollars to donuts says that he wants to prove he's 100% next season and back to his old self, then he'll ask for the moon and the stars.
    I'm willing to say jets are in the same boat you can't risk a long term deal discounted or not .when ur not sure if he will be the same player

Quote Originally Posted by jetglass View Post
    Revis takes away your best receiver no matter what. There is no way around that. Put that receiver in motion and he will still cover him. To stop a great pass rusher, there are numerous possible solutions to eliminate or at least alleviate his destruction on your offense; have your QB frequently roll out to the other side, double team him with two linemen, double team him with a RB, double team him with a tight end etc...
    Huh??????
    Stopping a shut down CB is as easy as it gets. Just don't throw to the WR he's covering. It's done all the time.
    Shutting down a great pass rusher is a different story. You make it sound like it's no problem to just double team or roll the QB away from the pocket. Sure, it's no big deal to give your QB less options to throw too (by using a te or rb to help block) or take away half the field (by rolling the QB out of the pocket).
    Jetglass, you need to rethink your post.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop24 View Post
    I'm willing to say jets are in the same boat you can't risk a long term deal discounted or not .when ur not sure if he will be the same player
    I agree

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

Then you almost have no choice but to explore moving him... There are too many stupid teams in the NFL that will pay him much more than we should/could! He becomes a mercenary like Deon was.... Teams on the verge of winning the Superbowl open up their checkbook with him as the missing piece. His injury hurt us... I just hate to risk losing him for nothing after the 2013 season...

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Then you almost have no choice but to explore moving him... There are too many stupid teams in the NFL that will pay him much more than we should/could! He becomes a mercenary like Deon was.... Teams on the verge of winning the Superbowl open up their checkbook with him as the missing piece. His injury hurt us... I just hate to risk losing him for nothing after the 2013 season...
    Nailed it..

Jets Insider VIP
    I'm all for trading Revis.

But people need to be rational about a potential Revis trade. We aren't getting a 1st round pick for the guy. It's not happening, period.

But I'd personally be thrilled with a 2nd. Hell, I'd be content with a conditional 3rd.

We need as many resources as we can get to fix this sh*tastic offense.

Look at a team like the Falcons or Texans... These are teams who are picking 25 or later... Might not one of them be willing to give up a 2nd this year or 1st in 2014 to buy Revis for one year and a Superbowl trip? If you aren't going to sign him now, you need to at least explore that possibility... We don't look like we are going to be a contender in 2013... What good does keeping Revis on the team do us if we won't be able to sign him?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Look at a team like the Falcons or Texans... These are teams who are picking 25 or later... Might not one of them be willing to give up a 2nd this year or 1st in 2014 to buy Revis for one year and a Superbowl trip? If you aren't going to sign him now, you need to at least explore that possibility... We don't look like we are going to be a contender in 2013... What good does keeping Revis on the team do us if we won't be able to sign him?
    One team that would never sign him is the Pats..

Jets Insider VIP
    If we were not in Cap trouble I would say pay Revis; however, our DBs played B+ last year without him. Revis represents the pay for 4 or 5 players that can contribute. Thats a huge difference going foward. How did we do this year with Revis in the game against SF? 34-0

Look, if everyone isn't smart enough to realize all the good Revis does for the defense, then just stop watching Jets football.

What Chupa says is true. Revis is a generational type player. A guy that only comes along once every ten or twenty years. He's the kind of guy that essentially makes your defense appear to have 12 players instead of 11.

If you guys cannot realize the importance of that, especially when it comes to facing an offense like the Patsies, then you don't know sh*t about football.

Revis should absolutely be resigned and should remain a Jet until the day he decides to hang it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Look, if everyone isn't smart enough to realize all the good Revis does for the defense, then just stop watching Jets football.

What Chupa says is true. Revis is a generational type player. A guy that only comes along once every ten or twenty years. He's the kind of guy that essentially makes your defense appear to have 12 players instead of 11.

If you guys cannot realize the importance of that, especially when it comes to facing an offense like the Patsies, then you don't know sh*t about football.

Revis should absolutely be resigned and should remain a Jet until the day he decides to hang it up.
    At any cost?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Was Sanders a generational type player?? Rod Woodson or Charles Woodson? If so how come they were on some many different teams??

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Was Sanders a generational type player?? Rod Woodson or Charles Woodson? If so how come they were on some many different teams??
    I thought you were an older, more knowledgeable fan? Asking qquestion like this lets me know that cannot be the case.

First of all, the only generational type player in that group is Deion Sanders. The others were good but not anywhere near as good as Sanders. Or Revis for that matter.

In Sanders case, the Falcons were a bunch of dumb sh*ts just like the Jets will be if they opt to let Revis go.

Sanders was the championship puzzle piece that the put the 49ers and Cowboys over the top when he joined them.

At any cost?
    He'll be looking for approximately 15 million per. To my knowledge, the highest paid CB in the league right now (Nnamdi Asomogha) makes about 12.5 million per. Revis is miles better than Asomogha.

I'm not saying the Jets should resign him at any cost, That doesn't make any sense. But what they should do is figure out what an objective market price would be for a guy like Revis and absolutely pay him that amount of money.

I want the Jets to him fair market value, no more, no less. He's absolutely worth it.

I thought you were an older, more knowledgeable fan? Asking qquestion like this lets me know that cannot be the case.

First of all, the only generational type player in that group is Deion Sanders. The others were good but not anywhere near as good as Sanders. Or Revis for that matter.

In Sanders case, the Falcons were a bunch of dumb sh*ts just like the Jets will be if they opt to let Revis go.

Sanders was the championship puzzle piece that the put the 49ers and Cowboys over the top when he joined them.
    At any cost? You call those of us out as not knowing a thing about football! Do you keep Revis at $12mm a year? $15mm a year? At what point do you move on? Further, if we have him play out this year, Is there another team that will offer him more that we can possibly pay to get him?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Rod Woodson is a 11 time pro bowler and 6 time All Pro with over 71 picks..Thats 3 more Pro bowls and 18 more picks then Deion.. Plus they both did KO and punt returns.. The main reason they didn't stick was money..Who does that remind you of??

He'll be looking for approximately 15 million per. To my knowledge, the highest paid CB in the league right now (Nnamdi Asomogha) makes about 12.5 million per. Revis is miles better than Asomogha.

I'm not saying the Jets should resign him at any cost, That doesn't make any sense. But what they should do is figure out what an objective market price would be for a guy like Revis and absolutely pay him that amount of money.

I want the Jets to him fair market value, no more, no less. He's absolutely worth it.
    I don't have any problem with that... My concern is that if you let him go to FA there is no way we keep him. I think $15mm is too much money to spend on him and could hurt us in other areas but I am not a cap expert and paying him 20% more than the next highest paid corner is crazy. I also think having 20% of your cap tied up in two CBs really puts you behind the 8-ball with filling out the rest of the roster... My stance on this is simple... I want Revis to retire a Jet. I just don't want to completely break the bank and think $13mm per is plenty. However, someone will be willing to pay him more than that if he is a FA...

I don't have any problem with that... My concern is that if you let him go to FA there is no way we keep him. I think $15mm is too much money to spend on him and could hurt us in other areas but I am not a cap expert and paying him 20% more than the next highest paid corner is crazy. I also think having 20% of your cap tied up in two CBs really puts you behind the 8-ball with filling out the rest of the roster... My stance on this is simple... I want Revis to retire a Jet. I just don't want to completely break the bank and think $13mm per is plenty. However, someone will be willing to pay him more than that if he is a FA...
    That's slightly lowballing him. We have already established that he is miles better than the highest paid CB in the league. Between 14 and 15 million per is probably more like fair market value considering how good Revis has been.