Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: This game shows why you pay Revis

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    That's slightly lowballing him. We have already established that he is miles better than the highest paid CB in the league. Between 14 and 15 million per is probably more like fair market value considering how good Revis has been.
    Could be... Now the issue becomes his injury... Do you assume he will return to the same pre injury form and just pay him? Further, how can we pay him that right now given our Cap situation? What if he is not the old Revis? You just spent a whole bunch of money that you might really need as you rebuild this roster.

If you let him play out the year, then you risk losing him to FA. He might choose a team in a state with lower taxes? Some team might go crazy and sign him to a ridiculous deal. Maybe he will not want to be part of rebuilding and will look to try and go someplace to win a championship.

Who knows.... At some point you have to go with a gut feeling on what fits this teams 3yr to 5yr plan the best. If you can't/don't sign him in this offseason, you must try to figure out what you can get for moving him. It is not an ideal situation we are in but it is the hand we have been dealt.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    That's slightly lowballing him. We have already established that he is miles better than the highest paid CB in the league. Between 14 and 15 million per is probably more like fair market value considering how good Revis has been.
    He said he wants to be the highest paid D player who at the moment is Mario Williams with a 50 million guaranteed.. Unless he may figure, Hey I shut down Calvin Johnson I should get more money.. So who knows what he may consider??

Most Guaranteed Money, NFL History

WR Calvin Johnson $60M 2012-19
    QB Sam Bradford $50M 2010-15
    DE/LB Mario Williams $50M 2012-17
    QB Tom Brady $48.5M 2011-14

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    He said he wants to be the highest paid D player who at the moment is Mario Williams with a 50 million guaranteed.. Unless he may figure, Hey I shut down Calvin Johnson I should get more money.. So who knows what he may consider??

Most Guaranteed Money, NFL History

WR Calvin Johnson $60M 2012-19
    QB Sam Bradford $50M 2010-15
    DE/LB Mario Williams $50M 2012-17
    QB Tom Brady $48.5M 2011-14
    What is better?

Revis and 2 crap safeties? Or 2 good safeties and an average corner?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    What is better?

I guess we will have to wait to see how it plays out.. Revis won't agree to a deal now I bet.. For the biggest pay day he should be 100% first, play out next season and test the FA market..

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    What is better?

2 Good safeties; Did you see what Ravens safety Pollard did to NE's RB. I want one of those.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The idea that Revis would turn down a big extension this year is laughable to me. If anything, tearing his knee on a non-contact play showed him how fragile his career is. I believe that if the Jets offered to make him the highest paid corner in the league he'd take it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    The idea that Revis would turn down a big extension this year is laughable to me. If anything, tearing his knee on a non-contact play showed him how fragile his career is. I believe that if the Jets offered to make him the highest paid corner in the league he'd take it.
    So seeing the money Mario and Megatron got Revis would just say just make me the highest paid CB even though that money went down in the last 2 years??

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think you start a dialogue... Who knows where his head is at... Maybe he says I will take 12 million for two years to try and cash in as healthy... Bottom line is Idzik needs to make a call and get a feel for the situation.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    So seeing the money Mario and Megatron got Revis would just say just make me the highest paid CB even though that money went down in the last 2 years??
    Mario and Megatron weren't offered contracts after missing an entire year with a torn ACL. He knows his value dropped because of the injury. He knows that it could happen again. Offer him a huge contract now that's within reason, he'll take it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    Mario and Megatron weren't offered contracts after missing an entire year with a torn ACL. He knows his value dropped because of the injury. He knows that it could happen again.
    And Mario was hurt in 2011 did that stop the Bills from giving that huge contract in 2012?? Granted it was a wrist operation but after seeing how AP came back this year I don't think Revis see's any value drop..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    Could be... Now the issue becomes his injury... Do you assume he will return to the same pre injury form and just pay him? Further, how can we pay him that right now given our Cap situation? What if he is not the old Revis? You just spent a whole bunch of money that you might really need as you rebuild this roster.

If you let him play out the year, then you risk losing him to FA. He might choose a team in a state with lower taxes? Some team might go crazy and sign him to a ridiculous deal. Maybe he will not want to be part of rebuilding and will look to try and go someplace to win a championship.

Who knows.... At some point you have to go with a gut feeling on what fits this teams 3yr to 5yr plan the best. If you can't/don't sign him in this offseason, you must try to figure out what you can get for moving him. It is not an ideal situation we are in but it is the hand we have been dealt.
    There's no reason to think he wouldn't return to form pre injury. He's still young and this injury was a feak thing to begin with. It didn't even happen as a result of contact.

I do think the contract should give him some guaranteed money, but the bulk of the money, the money that makes him become the highest paid player at his position, should be all reliant on Revis returning to top notch form.

I would also favor giving him a contract long term. As you said, you can't let this guy hit the open market. If we do, some stupid team will pay him fort knox and if we planned on matching it, it would kill our cap.

But it sounds like you and I are on the same page here. We both want Revis to stay a Jet and I think that is the most important thing here. Hopefully, the Jets FO feels the same.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great?? Like I always say Vinny has more passing yardage and TD's then Montana does that make him great?? It makes him a durable player that had longivity.. Unless you think 14 yds rushing in a AFCCG was a thing of beauty..
    So we've reached the point where we're insulting Curtis Martin?

Wow. We're pathetic.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    So we've reached the point where we're insulting Curtis Martin?

Wow. We're pathetic.
    No insult you brought up Martin not me.. But if you think he was on the level of Revis your nuts..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    No insult you brought up Martin not me.. But if you think he was on the level of Revis your nuts..
    Revis isn't a hall of famer. He plays a speed position and is coming off an ACL tear.

He can't hold Charles Woodson, Champ Bailey, Aeneas Williams, Deion, or my personal favorite CB of all time, Rod Woodson's collective jocks yet statistically.

Revis WAS up until this year, the best CB in football. But there is NO WAY IN HELL a CB, even the best in the league, should be getting paid more than a great defensive end or outside linebacker.

We should not fall in love with Revis or Rex Ryan if Revis REQUIRES being the highest paid defensive player in the league to stay with the Jets and if Rex's system requires half the salary cap invested into corner back to function.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Revis isn't a hall of famer. He plays a speed position and is coming off an ACL tear.

He can't hold Charles Woodson, Champ Bailey, Aeneas Williams, Deion, or my personal favorite CB of all time, Rod Woodson's collective jocks yet statistically.

Revis WAS up until this year, the best CB in football. But there is NO WAY IN HELL a CB, even the best in the league, should be getting paid more than a great defensive end or outside linebacker.We should not fall in love with Revis or Rex Ryan if Revis REQUIRES being the highest paid defensive player in the league to stay with the Jets and if Rex's system requires half the salary cap invested into corner back to function.
    I agree with that?? But Revis as a CB is one of the best I've ever seen. Martin as a RB isn't in the top 40..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop24 View Post
    I'm willing to say jets are in the same boat you can't risk a long term deal discounted or not .when ur not sure if he will be the same player
    Same for the rest of the league though surely?..... So If everyone else has that question perhaps his market is affected accordingly

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    im saddened that the ny jets overlooked many of you guys as gm. as many of you have all the answers on how to fix the jets and deal with revis.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with that?? But Revis as a CB is one of the best I've ever seen. Martin as a RB isn't in the top 40..
    There's 29 modern era RB's in the NFL hall of fame...............Pre-modern era QB's and HB's were essentially the same position as far as the Hall is concerned.

You are also basing all of your judgment, again, on a guy who plays a speed position and is coming off an ACL repair. You have no idea what he's going to be like.

I cannot deny that Revis is great. But Martin didn't hold this team at gunpoint saying he had to be the highest paid RB in the NFL and his position, still, to this day, is actually more beneficial to have the type of monetary investment in elite skill than Revis' considering the year Cromartie is coming off.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop24 View Post
    Revis will be a jet for life .. The sooner you realize this the sooner you stop with the stupid trade revis for a bag of chips threads..

People claim it's a passing game but you don't need a CB? Or may fav Corner is not a premium position yet every year teams draft CB's in the top 10 of the draft ..

Fact is 95% on this board don't have a clue when it comes to cap , don't know what Revis will command and have no idea how his contract will be structured.

So it's just all talk coming from y'all ass

Then u have pats fans chiming in saying we should trade him this from the same team that traded for Talib? Bet you wished you had a better CBs out there every time Smith and Bolden gashed you with big plays one after another .
    Great post.

Nothing makes me LOL more than hearing posters talk all offseason about how 'you can get a decent OG late in the draft' or that 'CB is not a premium position' then watch those self same posters fulminating about our crappy OL when we give up a sack or how useless our pass D is when Golden Tate is catching TD passes on us.

As for Pats fans they seem to protest too much when it comes to trading Revis...wishful thinking on their part I reckon.It's also funny how they'll rip our drafts and FO but we should trade Revis for???....more draft picks???...LOL

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    Great post.

Nothing makes me LOL more than hearing posters talk all offseason about how 'you can get a decent OG late in the draft' or that 'CB is not a premium position' then watch those self same posters fulminating about our crappy OL when we give up a sack or how useless our pass D is when Golden Tate is catching TD passes on us.

As for Pats fans they seem to protest too much when it comes to trading Revis...wishful thinking on their part I reckon.It's also funny how they'll rip our drafts and FO but we should trade Revis for???....more draft picks???...LOL
    You need a premium pass rusher for your CB's work to matter. It's not like Revis is getting Aeneas Williams like 8-10 picks a year.

By the way, Williams isn't in the Hall of Fame.