Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 83

Thread: Sundquist on Tebow debacle: "They realized it was divisive...wanted an exit strategy"

  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Intellegent Jet fans know best what they don't know they make up..
    Absolutely, there is no evidence to suggest Woody was behind it, but it sounds good...so lets go with it.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Intellegent Jet fans know best what they don't know they make up..
    It is true that I love to make things up; like this quote and article that I made up...

    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1146991

    Now that sounds like someone who was not on board with Tebow coming to the team. But I guess I was dreaming that the owner said those comments and in the real world our owner is not really back stabbing the former GM.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    It is true that I love to make things up; like this quote and article that I made up...

    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1146991

    Now that sounds like someone who was not on board with Tebow coming to the team. But I guess I was dreaming that the owner said those comments and in the real world our owner is not really back stabbing the former GM.
    Where in the article does it say he was behind, or even complicit with the Tebow trade?

  4. #44
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Posts
    20,597
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    I largely agree but Tanny was gone quickly and GMs usually don't take a fall when injuries play a big role in a season's downfall (ex. Holmes, Revis, Keller, Hill, etc). The fact that Tanny was toasted so promptly tells me the decision to fire him was likely made pretty early, maybe before December, as the Tebow fiasco grew.
    I am sure that awful contract extension Tanny gave to Suckchez had something to do with it too.....

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    Where in the article does it say he was behind, or even complicit with the Tebow trade?
    Hmmm, I think in the title;

    Tim Tebow has complete backing of NY Jets' owner Woody Johnson: 'I think you can never have too much Tebow'

    Does that sound like someone who is not on board?
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 01-21-2013 at 10:01 AM.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    Hmmm, I think in the title;

    Tim Tebow has complete backing of NY Jets' owner Woody Johnson: 'I think you can never have too much Tebow'

    Does that sound like someone who is not on board?


    I honestly think you are one of the best posters on this site. Your posts tend to be well written and thoughtful. Even when I disagree with you, I respect your opinion. My only point is that everyone assumes Woody was behind the Tebow trade with motives non-fooball related. Yet there is no hard evidence to verify that theory. In addition every insider that I have heard stresses there is no evidence to suggest this transaction was owner driven.
    Last edited by JetsFanatic; 01-21-2013 at 10:14 AM.

  7. #47
    This is a very minor point seeing as Tebow was about #99 out of 100 reasons why the Jets failed this year.

  8. #48
    Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    Every football insider (Schefter, Mort) that I've heard comment on the Tebow acquisition said there was no indication or evidence it was owner driven.
    Ah, so you trust these "sources" even though they are part of the "media" that is out to get the Jets because, this time, they are telling you what you like to hear.

    LOL

    SAR I

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Ah, so you trust these "sources" even though they are part of the "media" that is out to get the Jets because, this time, they are telling you what you like to hear.

    LOL

    SAR I
    I don't know what you are talking about.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    This is a very minor point seeing as Tebow was about #99 out of 100 reasons why the Jets failed this year.
    No kidding! This topic is sickening. PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, move on people.

  11. #51
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    15,569
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Actually we have 0 idea about who really forced the Tebow trade, Woody or Tanny. Just b/c Woody is a republican who likes big-name qb's does not guarantee he wanted the big-name republican hero qb Tim Tebow.


    One thing we do know: Rex never supported the move.
    Not only that, the guys who cover the team full time all dispute that Woody is the one who looks for publicity moves. That people assuming he made the Favre move for publicity don't know him and that he wanted him to upgrade the position.

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Not only that, the guys who cover the team full time all dispute that Woody is the one who looks for publicity moves. That people assuming he made the Favre move for publicity don't know him and that he wanted him to upgrade the position.

    The Favre move would have worked if his arm stayed healthy.

  13. #53
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    43,584
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Ah, so you trust these "sources" even though they are part of the "media" that is out to get the Jets because, this time, they are telling you what you like to hear.

    LOL

    SAR I
    The truth is unless Woody,Rex or Tanny sit down with you and discuss it you won't know the facts.. Using any media to support what you speculate about is folly..

  14. #54
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    15,569
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    The Favre move would have worked if his arm stayed healthy.
    When people claim they know that Woody forced Favre on the Jets when the move made total sense as a talent move from Chad you have to laugh. Only here can a upgrade in talent at a position be viewed as a PR move.

    And as you said it was working fine when the Jets were 8-3. Not too many were b1tching about motives at that time.

    And of course after 15 years or so, where are the other many PR motivated moves that say say look at me? Even if you gave him Tebow, two moves in 14 or 15 years?

  15. #55
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    22,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    So the guy that's already out the door gets all the blame...

    And this is news worthy or surprising to you people?

    Jets fans are idiots.
    Exactly, Rex said that most decisions were by consensus, but now that Tanny is gone its 100% on him.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    I honestly think you are one of the best posters on this site. Your posts tend to be well written and thoughtful. Even when I disagree with you, I respect your opinion. My only point is that everyone assumes Woody was behind the Tebow trade with motives non-fooball related. Yet there is no hard evidence to verify that theory. In addition every insider that I have heard stresses there is no evidence to suggest this transaction was owner driven.
    First of all, thank you for the compliment.

    I understand and respect your points. In the end I can't get my mind around the notion that this owner would not be on board, on some level, with the trade. And at the very least, as the owner he must give approval to any deal because his money is involved. In my opinion, he must accept part of the blame.

  17. #57
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    22,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    This is a very minor point seeing as Tebow was about #99 out of 100 reasons why the Jets failed this year.
    I 'd say he was more like 5 out of 100 reasons as we'd have a backup QB to replace Sanchez. Rex couldn't say he gave us the best chance to win.

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    First of all, thank you for the compliment.

    I understand and respect your points. In the end I can't get my mind around the notion that this owner would not be on board, on some level, with the trade. And at the very least, as the owner he must give approval to any deal because his money is involved. In my opinion, he must accept part of the blame.
    The point that you guys are discussing is one of the most troubling things about the Jets, and that's the lack of "the buck stops here" mentality in the organization.

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    I 'd say he was more like 5 out of 100 reasons as we'd have a backup QB to replace Sanchez. Rex couldn't say he gave us the best chance to win.
    The Jets never gave Tebow a chance despite him taking the Broncos to the playoffs the year before and beating Pitt.

    The Jets won with McElroy and then deactivated him the next week.

    Hell even if we had kept Stanton I firmly believe he wouldn't have played until it was too late. The problem is the coach and GM not getting a viable backup, not specifically Tebow.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    First of all, thank you for the compliment.

    I understand and respect your points. In the end I can't get my mind around the notion that this owner would not be on board, on some level, with the trade. And at the very least, as the owner he must give approval to any deal because his money is involved. In my opinion, he must accept part of the blame.
    I certainly agree that Woody was on some level on board with the trade. That of course is very different from orchestrating or demanding it, as many media reps have said he did/must have. If I'm the owner and my GM comes to me and says he wants to get a player because he can, for example, add a dimension/helpthewildcat/force defenses to account for him/or whatever, I'd probably say ok--else why have the GM? What I have never agreed with---and have seen no evidence to support---is that the driving force behind the trade was Woody's desire to sell PSLs or grab the back page. I think that--mistakes and all---Woody really wants to win.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us