Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Sundquist on Tebow debacle: "They realized it was divisive...wanted an exit strategy"

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    This is a very minor point seeing as Tebow was about #99 out of 100 reasons why the Jets failed this year.
    I think this is a very good point. I might disagree slightly and say it's more like 50 out of 100, but yes, there was lots more than Tebow wrong last year.

Tebow's relevance is always overstated (which is my main beef with him), but he did factor in Sanchez' implosion. That's why I'd say he's more like 50 instead of 99.

Now from a fan perspective, he was in the top 10 or maybe even 5 of things wrong with the Jets this year. The Tebow talk is just endless, and I'm perpetuating it here (sorry!). And this is my other beef with Tebow...he just ruins it from a fan perspective. Tons of interesting stuff happens on the field, yet the focus is all on a backup QB who barely plays.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    the fact that nobody has stepped up and taken responsibility for wanting tebow just underscores the problems with the organization. rex, tanny, sparano and woody all sung tebow's praises when they got him. now nobody will confess to wanting him. worse, rex/sparano apparently never actually developed a tebow package. to me, it seems like woody pushed for it, then rex/sparano had to smile and say they're going to use him, but didn't want to. then woody cans tanny and sparano and says he had nothing to do with it.

there needs to be some accountability here, starting with the owner. of course, hearing your head coach say that after four years of ignoring the offense, he's finally going to pay attention to it, isn't exactly the type of accountability that works.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    It is true that I love to make things up; like this quote and article that I made up...

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1146991

Now that sounds like someone who was not on board with Tebow coming to the team. But I guess I was dreaming that the owner said those comments and in the real world our owner is not really back stabbing the former GM.
    So months AFTER they traded for Tebow the owner said he supports Tebow being a Jet?

As if he or any other owner would say he doesn't want a player on the roster, wants him gone, while he's still there.

Proof positive that he was the brains behind the Tebow deal. Thanks for clearing that one up.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    So months AFTER they traded for Tebow the owner said he supports Tebow being a Jet?

As if he or any other owner would say he doesn't want a player on the roster, wants him gone, while he's still there.

Proof positive that he was the brains behind the Tebow deal. Thanks for clearing that one up.
    He was brought here by whoever.... I suppose that the others are supposed to speak out against it after he came over? What is everyone talking about. Quite frankly, who gives a crap who was responsible for bringing him here? Does it really matter. We have a new GM, he is responsible for final say on players and we know those decisions will rest with him. Can we just move on from all this already.
    Last edited by Conkboy; 01-21-2013 at 01:00 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    You were being sarcastic, but it's ironic that you don't know the difference.
    Not meaning to be too picky, but since we're into vocabulary:

From Merriam Webster: " irony: a pretense of ignorance and willingness to learn from another assumed in order to make the other's false conceptions conspicuous by adroit questioning."

I am the farthest thing from adroit, but I was at least attempting to be ironic. I had no interest in being sarcastic, although I might confess to whimsical.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez was among the worst QB's in the league. They should have let Tebow start a game, just to give Sanchez confidence that he was better than someone, if they were worried that he's not better than Tebow and were afraid that Tebow would do better, thats a courtmarshable offense.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure when I said that I thought the owner was the "brains" behind the deal.

I will stand by what I actually said that the owner, gm and head coach share culpability in this mess. Lets put it another way; do you really believe that Tannenbaum and Ryan would make a trade where the organization would have to pay millions to this player without the approval of the person signing the checks? Seriously?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure when I said that I thought the owner was the "brains" behind the deal.

I will stand by what I actually said that the owner, gm and head coach share culpability in this mess. Lets put it another way; do you really believe that Tannenbaum and Ryan would make a trade where the organization would have to pay millions to this player without the approval of the person signing the checks? Seriously?
    I completely agree. This whole horrific season---well beyond just Tebow---was a demonstration of shared culpability.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    If Rex wanted tebow, he would have insisted on him getting more playing time, including benching Sanchez earlier and starting tebow. Ryan never wanted Tebow.All of the bad personnel decisions are clearly on the guy who was fired, Tanny.
    How do you all know this? I mean seriously.

Isn't it possible that he originally wanted him and then once he saw how really bad he was in practice, he insisted on limiting his PT?

Anyone who says that Rex didn't want him is basing it on conjecture .

There's no evidence to support that Ryan wasn't all in on Tebow when the negotiations started with Denver.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

It's naive for anyone to think that the Tebow decision was 100% Tannenbaum. And I'm not a Tannenbaum apologist or supporter.

A move of that magnitude would not have been made without

1) the blessing of the owner and

2) the support and blessing of the HC who more than likely passed it by his OC.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    the fact that nobody has stepped up and taken responsibility for wanting tebow just underscores the problems with the organization. rex, tanny, sparano and woody all sung tebow's praises when they got him. now nobody will confess to wanting him. worse, rex/sparano apparently never actually developed a tebow package. to me, it seems like woody pushed for it, then rex/sparano had to smile and say they're going to use him, but didn't want to. then woody cans tanny and sparano and says he had nothing to do with it.

there needs to be some accountability here, starting with the owner. of course, hearing your head coach say that after four years of ignoring the offense, he's finally going to pay attention to it, isn't exactly the type of accountability that works.
    As Kennedy said concerning the Bay of Pigs.....

"Success has a thousand fathers and failure is an orphan"

This is exactly what we see here.

In Kennedy's case he took full responsibility for the failure. In the Jets case everyone blames the guy who was fired....

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    It's naive for anyone to think that the Tebow decision was 100% Tannenbaum. And I'm not a Tannenbaum apologist or supporter.

You are 100% correct...

IMO for anyone to disagree with what you wrote here would be to reject common sense......

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    You are 100% correct...

IMO for anyone to disagree with what you wrote here would be to reject common sense......
    TY. You're a good man CB.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems logical enough. This is, after all, a business and no business owner is going to be that loose with his control over what's going on in the organization.

The most logical scenario is that all three (to varying degrees) wanted Tim. Then, they realized what a terrible move it was once they saw him in practice.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tebow wasn’t ‘forced’ on Jets owner: source

MOBILE, Ala. — Ten months after the Jets traded for Tim Tebow, the move has become a hot topic again.

An ESPN report this week quoted Ted Sundquist, who interviewed for the Jets general manager job, saying Jets owner Woody Johnson told him the Tebow trade was “forced” on him by his front office, namely former GM Mike Tannenbaum.

A league source with direct knowledge of the trade said though Tannenbaum was the driving force behind the move, there is no way it can be characterized as being “forced” on Johnson.

“He owns the team,” the source said. “All he had to do was say ‘no.’ Nothing is ever forced on Woody.”

The source said it is true Tannenbaum is the member of the Jets organization who came up with the idea of trading for Tebow once the Broncos signed Peyton Manning. The source said once Tannenbaum came up with the idea, several members of the Jets organization tried to talk him out of the trade, saying Tebow was not an accurate passer. But Tannenbaum was not swayed.

“The thing picked up steam quick,” the source said.

Tannenbaum, who has not talked to reporters since being fired Dec. 31, declined to comment.

According to the ESPN report, Johnson told Sundquist he was on board shortly after the trade came up.

Tannenbaum said during the season he viewed Tebow as a backup quarterback capable of doing many other things for the team — such as zone-read option and wildcat plays. That role never materialized. Tebow played just 74 snaps (7 percent of the team’s total) during the season. Tebow ended up being a distraction, through no fault of his own, as a constant subject for the media.

It is unclear how head coach Rex Ryan felt about the trade at the time. Publicly he always has said he supported it, but Tebow’s limited playing time makes that hard to believe.

The Jets hired John Idzik to replace Tannenbaum last Friday. The Jets are expected to release Tebow next month. The question then will be whether any team takes a chance on Tebow, who helped the Broncos win the AFC West in 2011.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/...RGiEVpYN4LUiFO

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tebow wasn’t ‘forced’ on Jets owner: source

MOBILE, Ala. — Ten months after the Jets traded for Tim Tebow, the move has become a hot topic again.

An ESPN report this week quoted Ted Sundquist, who interviewed for the Jets general manager job, saying Jets owner Woody Johnson told him the Tebow trade was “forced” on him by his front office, namely former GM Mike Tannenbaum.

A league source with direct knowledge of the trade said though Tannenbaum was the driving force behind the move, there is no way it can be characterized as being “forced” on Johnson.

“He owns the team,” the source said. “All he had to do was say ‘no.’ Nothing is ever forced on Woody.”

The source said it is true Tannenbaum is the member of the Jets organization who came up with the idea of trading for Tebow once the Broncos signed Peyton Manning. The source said once Tannenbaum came up with the idea, several members of the Jets organization tried to talk him out of the trade, saying Tebow was not an accurate passer. But Tannenbaum was not swayed.

“The thing picked up steam quick,” the source said.

Tannenbaum, who has not talked to reporters since being fired Dec. 31, declined to comment.

According to the ESPN report, Johnson told Sundquist he was on board shortly after the trade came up.

Tannenbaum said during the season he viewed Tebow as a backup quarterback capable of doing many other things for the team — such as zone-read option and wildcat plays. That role never materialized. Tebow played just 74 snaps (7 percent of the team’s total) during the season. Tebow ended up being a distraction, through no fault of his own, as a constant subject for the media.

It is unclear how head coach Rex Ryan felt about the trade at the time. Publicly he always has said he supported it, but Tebow’s limited playing time makes that hard to believe.

The Jets hired John Idzik to replace Tannenbaum last Friday. The Jets are expected to release Tebow next month. The question then will be whether any team takes a chance on Tebow, who helped the Broncos win the AFC West in 2011.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/...RGiEVpYN4LUiFO
    I'd love to know who those "members" were.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd love to know who those "members" were.
    Hopefully the people Idzik decides to keep.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    He was brought here by whoever.... I suppose that the others are supposed to speak out against it after he came over? What is everyone talking about. Quite frankly, who gives a crap who was responsible for bringing him here? Does it really matter. We have a new GM, he is responsible for final say on players and we know those decisions will rest with him. Can we just move on from all this already.
    Spot on. Unfortunately, the majority of this board would rather continue this conversation that means absolutely nothing at this point in time.
    Like the other thread titled "Braylon is my favorite Jet", who the hell cares?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hopefully the people Idzik decides to keep.
    As long as Rex wasn't one of them. lol

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is what happened.

Woody does not have a clue about football, we know that already. That;s why he went out and got a firm to help him look for a GM. So he leaned on Tanny for the moves. Tanny comes up with the Tebow idea and sells it to Woody, probably using the publicity as a selling angle. Woody agrees and they get him.

Idzik is football smart while Tanny is not. That's the difference.