Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Mort: Jets hire David Lee as QB Coach

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Look. I hope all of you guys are right. I hope I eat all of these words. But, I have very little faith in Rex.

I apologize for my little tirade. To be honest, I don't even think the QB coach had that much of an impact on a team. It is just I think we are very likely going to have Tebow and Sanchez on the roster next year. But if we do have Sanchez on the roster than I want an completely open competition and if he wins that competition I want him to never be taken out of a game unless he is hurt or ineffective. And under no circumstances do I want his replacement to be Tebow. This hire makes me believe that is exactly what the case will be.
    And this is Definitely a legitimate concern!!

IMO opinion anyone who disagrees with what you posted here have not been paying attention to the Jets for the last three years....

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    CMART ................

What I like about this hire is that it goes directly to your point that the Jets have not been properly coached even when they have had the proper talent on the field!!!
    Lets hope it continues.

I hope Idzik tells Rex to just worry about coaching, disciplining, developing his team.

Idzik and the personnel/scouting depts will take care of getting the players to him. They'll listen to Rwx and what he wants but they'll decide who is picked and signed.

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    Looks like Sting; sings like Bing!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Wow, love the article, if he was able to help Ryan no arm, then maybe he can help us. Gotta be better than Sparano....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Then, OH YEAH!!. He did wonders with Fitzpatrick.
    You can't draw blood from stone...or turn Fitzy into a real bona fide franchise QB.

Lee was the real architect of the Dolphin's wildcat. Not Sparano.

I think Lee and Mornhinweg could make for a good combo. So does Mornhinweg. Grooming a mobile draft prospect QB for the WCO.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    This is an awesome hire and i don't know that much about this cat. What i do know is when the Miami Dolphins had nothing going for them he was smart enough to figure out a concept that allowed them to be somewhat successful.

By the way, when everyone was patting Sparano on the back for being named the Jets OC last yr, what everyone forgot to realize is that it was this guy who allowed Saprano to look good.

Think about this when you critize this hire. Consider what you saw last yr on offense and understand what kind of coach it would take to make that look decent.

Awesome Hire by the Jets. He should help Starting QB Greg McElroy improve his game, LOL.
    Agree...this is a good hire. Lee and Mornhinweg are both good with QBs. And after Sparano-Cavanaugh...Mornhinweg-Lee is going to be a breath of fresh air...as in a real QB friendly passing game.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's nothing personal about the new coaches; I'm concerned because they're being chosen by REX RYAN. It's what he's done ever since he came to the Jets. Sparano was Rex's hire. Wasn't Cavanaugh? Practically every coach or assistant on the team was hired by Rex. What good will it do if our new GM gets quality players only to have Rex's coaches ruin them?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

NoJazzSuzy

Quote Originally Posted by JaxSuzy View Post
    It's nothing personal about the new coaches; I'm concerned because they're being chosen by REX RYAN. It's what he's done ever since he came to the Jets. Sparano was Rex's hire. Wasn't Cavanaugh? Practically every coach or assistant on the team was hired by Rex. What good will it do if our new GM gets quality players only to have Rex's coaches ruin them?
    Cavanaugh was here under Mangini, he was retained by rex.And while others disagree, i believe Rex never wanted Sparano. It was a decision based on the connection Tanny and Sparano had with Parcells

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think this hire does not matter and its not because a position coach does not matter; it matters a lot. First, this is a Rex Ryan hire as the jets confirmed that the coach will have complete control of his staff, as it should be. But more to the point, Lee and the coaching staff will be shown the door after next season when we are bad again. Then we can get down to business when Idzik hires a head coach that will groom teddy Bridgewater or Johnny "football". This is the only way for this organization to become a consistent contender.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    Cavanaugh was here under Mangini, he was retained by rex.And while others disagree, i believe Rex never wanted Sparano. It was a decision based on the connection Tanny and Sparano had with Parcells
    Not true

Cavanaugh wasn't with the Jets with Mangini. Rex hired him 2009. And I've posted it numerous times that Rex said he only interviewed 2 guys for OC Callahan and Sparano and Rex said Sparano was his guy because they think alike.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Not true

Cavanaugh wasn't with the Jets with Mangini. Rex hired him 2009. And I've posted it numerous times that Rex said he only interviewed 2 guys for OC Callahan and Sparano and Rex said Sparano was his guy because they think alike.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    I think Sanchez is unsalvageable ... However a read and throw offense is about the only chance he has... Interested to see Mcelroy as well.... Still want us to find a hold the fort guy...
    I now think that you are right.

It will be a miracle if Sanchez can come back here. The Jets as an organization draft a raw rookie and then proceed to dismantle the very skill sets that they drafted him for and then wonder why he looks like he belongs at CC Community College rather than on a NFL team.

I wish they had thought about all this BEFORE they drafted Sanchez but that is after all water under the bridge at least they are doing the right things now and that is all we as Jets fans can ask.

And as I have said before I for one am extremely happy that they have made sound decisions for a change and am willing to get on board with these moves.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    David Lee has always been extremely highly regarded around the league. I never understood exactly why. Obviously he wasn't that impressive when he was with the dolphins. He did pretty good with pennington, but all that tells me is he can take an already talented player and help him use his talents. Hasn't shown me he can take a young player and help him develop his talents. I wouldn't hate the signing if I were the Jets, but I wouldn't be overly excited either. It's a tough time for coaching moves right now it seems. I know when the dolphins were looking for a coach, there just weren't any exciting canidates out their. I never wanted jeff fisher or any retread, but the other options just weren't that enticing.

Also, regarding the wildcat, I personally think it's pretty much run it's course. I doubt David Lee was brought in to implement that at all. I would be surprised if tebow was still even with the jets, and I never understood the hype surrounding him and the wildcat. He is not the optimal wildcat player. Doesn't have great speed, and has a well below average arm.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSuzy View Post
    Giving Rex his due we have to be honest that Rex has now gone against form in these recent hirings....

One only wishes Rex had done this when he first came in, if he had, the Jets might have been better and at a minimum Sanchez would have been better then he is now no doubt.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    even Chad is snubbing the Jets these days
    Actually Chaddy spent time with Sanchez going over Sparano's type of offense and you can see the great job he did in the way Suckchez played last season..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hate this move. .. why do we troll loser franchises for scraps ?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Hate this move. .. why do we troll loser franchises for scraps ?
    Yes because he had spent his 30+ yrs coaching in Buffalo/Miami.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Giving Rex his due we have to be honest that Rex has now gone against form in these recent hirings....

One only wishes Rex had done this when he first came in, if he had, the Jets might have been better and at a minimum Sanchez would have been better then he is now no doubt.
    Scared money don't make money. When Brian Schottenheimer was trying to develop Mark Sanchez, everytime he made a mistake the Jets were forced to dummy down the offense.
    You grow through mistakes, not by avoiding them. Our HC did not allow his OC to install the offense he wanted. Our HC did not allow his OL coach to play the players he preferred. Both men showed the leadership this team needs and now both men are on other teams.

Asked yourself this question. What is the biggest defficiency on this Jet team.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    So the question is; was he hired more for the Wildcat and utilizing Tebow or for his mantra of accuracy and fundamentals in an attempt to fix Sanchez?
    Sanchez cannot be fixed. He sucks and is permanently FRIED. Lee is here to work with all of the QB's the Jets will have on the roster come training camp. Sure, he'll work with Sanchez, but only because he has to work with him. The starter, whoever that is, and it WON'T be Sanchez, that's the guy that will get the most coaching from Lee.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Sanchez cannot be fixed. He sucks and is permanently FRIED. Lee is here to work with all of the QB's the Jets will have on the roster come training camp. Sure, he'll work with Sanchez, but only because he has to work with him. The starter, whoever that is, and it WON'T be Sanchez, that's the guy that will get the most coaching from Lee.
    People were saying the same thing about Alex Smith until a competent coach (Harbaugh) came aboard and built Smiths confidence back up by knowing how to use him and correct
    (COACHING) his flaws.