Thread: Hate the NO-DEFENSE NFL of Recent Years

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Hate the NO-DEFENSE NFL of Recent Years

I know offense brings in ratings, but I think football has gotten progressively worse over the last decade.

I miss when running games and defenses meant more. I hate how every rule favors the offense and how 21 points is relatively low scoring for a team in a 2013 game. Touchdowns mean less and less because more of them are scored. My favorite games are always Ravens-Steelers, because you know points will be at a premium and the final score will be in the teens. THAT is exciting football, to me at least. I remember the Arizona-Green Bay playoff game from January 2010 and everyone was talking about how great a game it was. I remember thinking what a disgrace it was because the defense was abysmal all around. Anyway, I'm rambling here but I miss the NFL of old.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I somewhat agree. Some rule changes were needed for protection, but it really has gotten out of hand.

Thats why I hate all these "who's the best Qb" debates. Manning and Brady always come up, and regardless of who you think is better, the pure fact of the matter is you can't compare QB's of today's game to past QB's. Its a completely different game and the rules are skewed so far in the offenses favour. They make defensive players play the game with a different mentality

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    well if the favorite Pats lose once again the O theory wins will once again proven wrong.. Pats are always the top seed, or 2 just about every year.. but have been knocked off by the underdog how many years in row now?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    LIke I said elsewhere - the rules today are created for the 'Christmas and Easter' crowd who don't watch till the Superbowl.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree. Favorite game as a neutral for me in recent years was those Ravens and Steelers clashes. 13-10 or 17-13 kind of games where every first down actually meant something.

That Cardinals and Packers game was fun for a quarter or two but soon became boring, more akin to a basketball game.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MCBNY View Post
    I know offense brings in ratings, but I think football has gotten progressively worse over the last decade.

I miss when running games and defenses meant more. I hate how every rule favors the offense and how 21 points is relatively low scoring for a team in a 2013 game. Touchdowns mean less and less because more of them are scored. My favorite games are always Ravens-Steelers, because you know points will be at a premium and the final score will be in the teens. THAT is exciting football, to me at least. I remember the Arizona-Green Bay playoff game from January 2010 and everyone was talking about how great a game it was. I remember thinking what a disgrace it was because the defense was abysmal all around. Anyway, I'm rambling here but I miss the NFL of old.
    Yea, me too...It has become like Jets - Dolphins of the 80's throughout the entire playoffs...Like to see a little defense, jeez

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hate it to.

But I hope the Jets join the party some time soon.