Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marty Mornhinweg, an offensive guru?

Marty Mornhinweg, an offensive guru?

Under his watch, five different quarterbacks have reached the Pro Bowl (Michael Vick, Donovan McNabb, Brett Favre, Steve Young and Jeff Garcia). He has been in charge for four of the top five scoring season in Eagles history, and the five best yardage outputs in franchise history. He guided Michael Vick to become only the 2nd Quarterback in NFL history to throw for 3000+ yards and 500+ rushing yards. He oversaw Donovan McNabb to franchise records in total yards thrown and completions in 2008. However it's not all about moving the ball in the air, the 2010 Eagles team became the first in NFL history to average 4.0 yards per carry in all 16 regular season games.

In 1998 while serving as the 49'ers offensive coordinator, the team became the first unit since the 1941 Bears to lead the league in gross passing and rushing yardage. In 1996 he worked with Brett Favre, the same season Favre became NFL MVP and Superbowl Champion. So as you can see, his track record really does speak for itself.

When you see Marty's west coast offense, you see the ability to exploit weaknesses in defenses. He has managed to get the best out of running backs LeSean McCoy and Brian Westbrook, and he has used these dynamic players by getting them out into space. When you look at what he did with McCoy and Westbrook you can't help wonder what he will have in store for Joe McKnight, a very dynamic player that has been painfully underused by the Jets.

All Pro
    I think he will be the best OC the Jets have had in a decade.

There is no QB here but Marty will get the most out of these bums, I think.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post

Sad to say. that's not saying much.

All Pro
    Last year he was no good Doh. He didn't win a lot in Detroit with the worst built team in history. What an awful hire. We could have had GBs QB coach.

Jets Insider VIP
    Guys Mornhinweg is an excellent hire we have to cut the Jets some slack...

Loved Marty when he was in SF. He's a great hire. I was kinda hoping to bring him back had Greg Roman left for a head coaching job.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post

Your second sentence made a lol for some reason.

We'll see. His resume of O-performance is certainly solid enough.

Like everything else, pre-judgement won't get us anywhere. We have to see what pieces he'll have to work with, and how that work looks come pre-season.

But he certainly has a past of competative success on the O side of the ball.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Get him the Jims and Joes, gonna take time.

Jets Insider VIP
    Michael Vick, Donovan McNabb, Brett Favre, Steve Young and Jeff Garcia
    All of these guys had tons of talent except for maybe garcia. Look, i like the hire. But if he is to have a successful season, we are going to have to get him a qb. Hes not going to turn sh!t like sanchez and mcelroy into anything. Get him a qb and he will be good. Give him sh!t and he will stink.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

The team has to give him more to work with, at the minimum a new RT and good runningback (someone who can catch out of the backfield). Can't really run a WCO without that type of RB. Those are two positions that we could realistically upgrade this offseason and that could make a major difference for the offense.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    All of these guys had tons of talent except for maybe garcia. Look, i like the hire. But if he is to have a successful season, we are going to have to get him a qb. Hes not going to turn sh!t like sanchez and mcelroy into anything. Get him a qb and he will be good. Give him sh!t and he will stink.
    Unfortunately that'll have to wait until 2014 I think.

At least our OC and Head coach will agree about kicking off instead of receiving in overtime.

I liked this hire as well. I've thought he is a legit OC for a while. I still think shotty was not as horrible as some think. Not good but not horrible. I hated the Sparano hire when it was just a rumor.

Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    Under his watch, five different quarterbacks have reached the Pro Bowl (Michael Vick, Donovan McNabb, Brett Favre, Steve Young and Jeff Garcia)
    Not to nitpick, but all those players made the Pro Bowl when they weren't playing for him as well. 2 are HoFers and a 3rd might be. I guess you could argue that Vick was a reclamation project, but I think Reid gets more credit on that one.

He has good qualifications, but let's not act like he'll turn water into wine. If the offensive personnel isn't upgraded significantly, the offense will still be horrible next year.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Last year he was no good Doh. He didn't win a lot in Detroit with the worst built team in history. What an awful hire. We could have had GBs QB coach.
    The few times I watched Detroit games eg Thanksgiving, they were in the game until a Sanchez/Special teams like moment occurred. Their passing was very good and I was impressed with QB Stafford.

Hopefully Rex is making the decisions in our overtime games next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    At least our OC and Head coach will agree about kicking off instead of receiving in overtime.
    Rex elects to kick off at the beginning of games. He never did that after winning an OT coin toss that is Morhinweg's MO.

Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    The few times I watched Detroit games eg Thanksgiving, they were in the game until a Sanchez/Special teams like moment occurred. Their passing was very good and I was impressed with QB Stafford.

I don't think Marty was with Detroit during any of Stafford's seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by docdhc View Post
    I don't think Marty was with Detroit during any of Stafford's seasons.
    He was stuck with Harrington and drafted Mike McMahon and developed him a bit.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Feeling good about Marty coming here, first winner in some time. Gonna take a couple of years to get back to even have to be patient.