Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could the QB of the future already be on the Jets roster?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Could the QB of the future already be on the Jets roster?

12/31/2012 Jets Sign QB Matt Simms to Reserve/Future Contract

I remember Bart Scott talking this kid up during training camp last pre-season.

Anybody think Matt Simms has a shot to unseat Mark Sanchez?

As bad as Sanchez has been, I wouldn't bet against Simms.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 01-20-2013 at 09:08 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    No.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    12/31/2012 Jets Sign QB Matt Simms to Reserve/Future Contract

I remember Bart Scott talking this kid up during training camp last season.

Anybody think Matt Simms has a shot to unseat Mark Sanchez?

As bad as Sanchez has been, I wouldn't bet against Simms.
    If Sanchez is the benchmark... Anyone of us could unseat him... Simms head is not on straight... Bunch of HS and College trouble... Who knows...All hands on deck... Why do I keep ...ing

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Million dollar arm but 5cent head.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    If Sanchez is the benchmark... Anyone of us could unseat him... Simms head is not on straight... Bunch of HS and College trouble... Who knows...All hands on deck... Why do I keep ...ing
    Nothing in his Wikipedia Bio that mentions him being in trouble:

Matt Simms (born September 27, 1988) is an American football quarterback for the New York Jets of the National Football League (NFL). He was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Jets in 2012. He played college football at Tennessee. He is the youngest son of former New York Giants quarterback and Super Bowl XXI MVP Phil Simms.[1]

Early life and high school

Simms was born in Franklin Lakes, New Jersey to Diana and Phil Simms. His brother Chris, played quarterback for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He attended Don Bosco Preparatory High School in Ramsey, New Jersey where he played quarterback for three years.[2] During this time he passed for more than 6,000 yards and 60 touchdowns. Though the team lost the state championship game his junior year, he was selected as a first team All-State player by the Associated Press. The next year they went undefeated and won the state title. After his senior year he played in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl.[3]

College

After graduating from high school Simms received a scholarship to the University of Louisville.[4] During his freshman year he saw limited action, playing in two games and throwing four passes. Simms then left Louisville to attend El Camino College in Alondra Park, California. While at El Camino he led the team to its fourth consecutive league title and threw for over 2,000 yards in ten games.[3]

Simms later left El Camino for the University of Tennessee. As a child, he always had a dislike for Tennessee's rival, the University of Florida.[5] During the 2010 season he played in ten games and threw for over 1,400 yards.[6]

During the 2010 season Simms was hampered by injuries to key receivers.[7] He lost the starting job late in the season due to poor performance.[8][9]

Matt Simms' performance was the subject of a widely reported "heated dispute" between Desmond Howard and Phil Simms during the week before Super Bowl XLV.[9]

Professional career

New York Jets

Simms was signed by the New York Jets on May 6, 2012.[10] He was waived on August 31, 2012.[11] Simms signed a future/reserve contract on December 31, 2012.[12]
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 01-20-2013 at 09:27 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe you never know... Lets see what happens in terms of genuine competition..

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Maybe you never know... Lets see what happens in terms of genuine competition..
    Well, I am thinking with Mornhinweg coming in, he will be looking at all QB's on the roster with no loyalty to anyone in particular.

I do believe that Rex will go with whatever recommendation Mornhinweg gives him as far as who he wants the starting QB to be after pissing away the season with Suckhez this year.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    No

Either trade for Flynn/Smith or draft a QB within the first 3 rounds to compete with Sanchez.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    ... not if he follows his dad's advice and throws the ball incomplete 3 times up 15 with 6 & 1/2 minutes left in the game! ...

l_j_r

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    They'd be foolish not to bring Matt Simms in to be QB.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Matt Simms (born September 27, 1988) is an American football quarterback for the New York Jets of the National Football League (NFL). He was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Jets in 2012. He played college football at Tennessee. He is the youngest son of former New York Giants quarterback and Super Bowl XXI MVP Phil Simms.[1]

Early life and high school

Simms was born in Franklin Lakes, New Jersey to Diana and Phil Simms. His brother Chris, played quarterback for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He attended Don Bosco Preparatory High School in Ramsey, New Jersey where he played quarterback for three years.[2] During this time he passed for more than 6,000 yards and 60 touchdowns. Though the team lost the state championship game his junior year, he was selected as a first team All-State player by the Associated Press. The next year they went undefeated and won the state title. After his senior year he played in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl.[3]

College

After graduating from high school Simms received a scholarship to the University of Louisville.[4] During his freshman year he saw limited action, playing in two games and throwing four passes. Simms then left Louisville to attend El Camino College in Alondra Park, California. While at El Camino he led the team to its fourth consecutive league title and threw for over 2,000 yards in ten games.[3]

Simms later left El Camino for the University of Tennessee. As a child, he always had a dislike for Tennessee's rival, the University of Florida.[5] During the 2010 season he played in ten games and threw for over 1,400 yards.[6]

During the 2010 season Simms was hampered by injuries to key receivers.[7] He lost the starting job late in the season due to poor performance.[8][9]

Matt Simms' performance was the subject of a widely reported "heated dispute" between Desmond Howard and Phil Simms during the week before Super Bowl XLV.[9]

Professional career

New York Jets

Simms was signed by the New York Jets on May 6, 2012.[10] He was waived on August 31, 2012.[11] Simms signed a future/reserve contract on December 31, 2012.[12]
    Sorry... I should have kept my mouth shut and not have brought it up...

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    This message is hidden because Jordy is on your ignore list.

Life is good.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Whether Simms is part of the QB competition or not...Jets should draft a QB...maybe Dysert in 2nd round.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post
    Whether Simms is part of the QB competition or not...Jets should draft a QB...maybe Dysert in 2nd round.
    Yep, I am sure they will if one they like is available.

Maybe they will listen to Bradway this time....he liked Russell Wilson last year....
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 01-21-2013 at 09:41 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Camp body that is all

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes.

...and his name is Mark Travis John Sanchez

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop24 View Post
    Camp body that is all
    Most likely but, hey, you never know.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    They needed a QB to replace the departing Tebow.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The more I think about it, the more it seems appealing to me:

If we can't get Flynn, who is already very well accustomed to the West Coast offense, McElroy, who is a pretty smart kid, actually would fit very well into that role.

For some reason I think Jason Campbell or Moore could both do really well in that system, too.