Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ground and Pound Works

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by Braumeister View Post
    Ravens-Niners Super Bowl.
    Dump.

An improv scramble QB and the Flacco Airshow do not equal Shonn Greene and a cloud of dust.

These two teams are in the Super Bowl because they have great head coaches who know how to win and great GM's who know how to pick players.

SAR I

All League
    The Ravens must throw as many deep balls as any team in the NFL.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Dump.

An improv scramble QB and the Flacco Airshow do not equal Shonn Greene and a cloud of dust.

These two teams are in the Super Bowl because they have great head coaches who know how to win and great GM's who know how to pick players.

SAR I
    lookatme.

Both are in the Super Bowl because they have a tough defense, a strong running game, and QBs who aren't complete and utter dogsh!t.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    That's nice. You're forgetting one important thing, though: Both teams can throw the ball, and they can throw it well.
    Exactly. It's a lot easier to run the ball when the defense has to respect the pass.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Both are in the Super Bowl because they have a tough defense, a strong running game, and QBs who aren't complete and utter dogsh!t.
    Oh, you mean what we used to have before Rex Ryan ruined the roster?

Hey, we're finally on the same page. Call me "bro".

SAR I

There was nothing ground and pound about the ravens success, the only reason they won the game was when they decided to stop running and put the ball in flaccos hands in the gun 3wr 1te formation

Quote Originally Posted by IM3 View Post
    There was nothing ground and pound about the ravens success, the only reason they won the game was when they decided to stop running and put the ball in flaccos hands in the gun 3wr 1te formation
    Exactly right.

Only way anyone can look at the Ravens win today as proof that ground and pound works is if they didn't actually watch the game, and saw that the Ravens won. Offense went nowhere in the 1st half except for one drive, 2nd half they go shotgun and multiple receivers, throw almost every play, and score three TDs.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Ravens-Niners Super Bowl.
    Look at the statistics and tell me how these were two examples of so-called ground and pound.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by IM3 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jpoppy7 View Post
    Exactly right.

Only way anyone can look at the Ravens win today as proof that ground and pound works is if they didn't actually watch the game, and saw that the Ravens won. Offense went nowhere in the 1st half except for one drive, 2nd half they go shotgun and multiple receivers, throw almost every play, and score three TDs.
    +100

Ground & Pound doesn't work as we found out first hand.

Eventually you run into another team that can throw the ball all over the place and you lose. Manning and Roethlisberger had their way with us twice. We couldn't put up enough points the way we were built to win.

Today's winners won because they ABANDONED the Ground & Pound at the appropriate time, didn't stick to a philosophy, decided to go for the win.

SAR I

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

+100

Eventually you run into another team that can throw the ball all over the place and you lose. Manning and Roethlisberger had their way with us twice. We couldn't put up enough points the way we were built to win.

Today's winners won because they ABANDONED the Ground & Pound at the appropriate time, didn't stick to a philosophy, decided to go for the win.

SAR I
    In today's football, ground and pound is a style of football brought on by necessity. When the jets had a rookie Sanchez under center, they had no choice but to be a ground and pound team. If you have a co patent QB, you aren't ground and pound. Even if you have a strong running game, you are a. A lanced attack - not ground and pound. It simply doesn't exist anymore. At least not in its former definition.

Veteran
    This is a silly conversation.

The two remaining teams are probably the most balanced teams left - they run, pass, work the outside and inside of the field. They play great D, can rush the passer and also have strong passing D. Complete teams - both of them.

As far as G&P, what these victories do show is that - yeah - you still need to be able to run the ball and defend the pass to win. This JI mania for the QB-WR-DE narrow-minded view of team structure has hopefully run its course.

On a separate note, I don't know anything about the O that Morninwheig (g'dman I am going to need to learn to spell that . . ) ran in Philly, but I do recall always thinking the Eagles had a very light-in-the-pants running game. I HOPE we do get some dynamic playmaker backs in here - fastest way back to respectability on O.

Banned
    +100

SAR I
    Wrong as usual.

When the Ravens' defense stopped the Pats on 4th down, their OC almost made a huge mistake by throwing on three straight downs. All were incomplete, minimizing the amount of time spent eating the clock. A borderline fireable offense...on the same level of Schotty's three plays called with one yard to score in the championship game in 2010.

The defense bailed them out with a pick, but that series had a chance to be the deciding factor in that game.

Run it three times (like they did after the pick) and eat up the clock and let the Pats use their timeouts.

Ah what the f*ck am I bothering explaining this anyway? This site is full of f*cking morons...

Wrong as usual.

When the Ravens' defense stopped the Pats on 4th down, their OC almost made a huge mistake by throwing on three straight downs. All were incomplete, minimizing the amount of time spent eating the clock. A borderline fireable offense...on the same level of Schotty's three plays called with one yard to score in the championship game in 2010.

The defense bailed them out with a pick, but that series had a chance to be the deciding factor in that game.

Run it three times (like they did after the pick) and eat up the clock and let the Pats use their timeouts.

Ah what the f*ck am I bothering explaining this anyway? This site is full of f*cking morons...
    Lookatme lookatme lookatme who's the attention whore now.

As others have said don't mistake a good running game for a G&P offense. In one you use the run to setup the pass. In the other you force the run to setup horrible passing scenarios.

Wrong as usual.

That's a situational mistake, not proof that Ground & Pound works.

Hall Of Fame
    I am not surprised someone foolishly started a thread stating "Ground and Pound works". If this post season showed anything, it is that you need a BALANCED team to win. The pass heavy teams with no defense like the Packers and Pats showed their limitations when they are off. The two most BALANCED teams are in the Super Bowl this year because they can play defense, run the ball and pass the ball. You do not need an "Elite" QB to win, you do need to have a VERY good QB that can play at "Elite" levels at times.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    True. Ground and pound is a dinosaur. The Ravens and 49ers are nothing like a ground and pound team. Dynamic offenses that have the ability to score, and score quick if need be.
    49ers take a lot of shots down the field for a running team.

Really, both teams have well rounded offenses and good defenses. They are not the Rogers' Packers, and the Brady Patriots.

All Pro
    Wrong as usual.

Ah what the f*ck am I bothering explaining this anyway? This site is full of f*cking morons..
    Why that? Because people don't agree with you? Neither team is a pure ground and pound team. Both run rather balanced offenses, and you could argue the passing game is what got Baltimore back into the game. Yes, it was fun to watch them ground the clock at the end of the game.

I think what they show is the importance of having a real good O Line, so you can do what you want on offense.