Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: I thought you needed an elite QB to win a championship?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jpoppy7 View Post
    The famous circular reasoning - if a QB wins the Super Bowl, he is elite.
    Exhibit A:Joe Namath

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    If it was one year, I might let it go. But Sanchez even in years he had very good receiving options still performed at a lower tier level. He's a bust. It is what it is, no one is happy about it, but we have a chance to get the next great QB and move on, and we should take it
    Who's that then?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    No he's not. He had, what, 18 TD passes this year? Elite my rear end. When a QB is put in favorable situations in the playoffs, he can succeed. Just ask Sanchez
    You are comparing Sanchez to Flacco?

You need to learn the game of football.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    flacco's performance this playoff run reminds me of a young mark sanchez
    Seriously?

Sanchez was only along for the ride.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    joe flacco beat manning???? the ravens may have won but they didn't beat anyone. they did beat brady.

Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Joe Flacco just beat Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. Of those three, who would you say is elite? As important as the QB is, it's still a team game. The point is, you don't need an "elite" QB to win it all. Eli Manning won it last year and Joe Flacco may win it this year. Eli Manning couldn't even get his team into the ****ing playoffs this year and has three one-and-dones on his record.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    WOW this thread is all kinds of crazy.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kaepernick is only making his 10th start coming up, but assuming the Niners win, his level of play suggests he is quite elite.
    But if he was on the Jets he would not be consider elite, he be on the injurred reserve. I would take Mathew Bradford and Cutler over Kaepernick any day of the week. 49ers could win with Sanchez.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    But if he was on the Jets he would not be consider elite, he be on the injurred reserve. I would take Mathew Bradford and Cutler over Kaepernick any day of the week. 49ers could win with Sanchez.
    No they couldn't or Alex Smith would still be starting.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    No they couldn't or Alex Smith would still be starting.
    Alex Smith suffered a concussion, Sanchez who has been abused this season was still standing but lost his confidence in his team. ie., Keller and Holmes injured.Hill drops passes, Wayne Hunter lets everyone thru etc.

IN 49er ville Sanchez would have a real TE in Vernon Davis, real WRs, and a fortress OL. I think he plays a lot better in that environment.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Alex Smith suffered a concussion, Sanchez who has been abused this season was still standing but lost his confidence in his team. ie., Keller and Holmes injured.Hill drops passes, Wayne Hunter lets everyone thru etc.

IN 49er ville Sanchez would have a real TE in Vernon Davis, real WRs, and a fortress OL. I think he plays a lot better in that environment.
    49ers are winning because they're scoring just about at will. What games are you watching? Would Sanchez play better there, of course. But not a chance in hell he would be anywhere near as potent as Kaepernick. I mean, are you even watching these games? The guy's throws are incredible. Dead on target and on a rope. And he reads the field far better than Sanchez does. Throw in the fact he runs like a gazelle which openx the run up the middle for Gore and you have an amazing offense. SF's D is actually playing pretty poorly in the playoffs.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    flacco's performance this playoff run reminds me of a young mark sanchez
    BS. Suckchez NEVER threw the ball as well as Flacco!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    49ers are winning because they're scoring just about at will. What games are you watching? Would Sanchez play better there, of course. But not a chance in hell he would be anywhere near as potent as Kaepernick. I mean, are you even watching these games? The guy's throws are incredible. Dead on target and on a rope. And he reads the field far better than Sanchez does. Throw in the fact he runs like a gazelle which openx the run up the middle for Gore and you have an amazing offense. SF's D is actually playing pretty poorly in the playoffs.
    Okay, Okay I have to agree.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

So what your saying is Sanchez was right to quit on his team because there wasn't enough talent around him to look good? Even in the middle of a PO run? He lacks the killer instinct and leadership skills. No QB will succeed with out that. I don't care how you think he lost it. If it isn't there he isn't worth one more shot.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    We don't have that either, our D is in worse shape than Mark Sanchez.

Are you trying to make me feel bad? I'm depressed enough.

SAR I
    joking right? "d is in worse shape than mark Sanchez' ???? lol.. Sanchez is by far the weakest starter on the Jets..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Flacco is gifted. The San Fran guy is gifted. Sanchez is not.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Not really. Get a QB or GTFO.

There's a minimum level involved as well. You can win a title with Brad Johnson/Joe Flacco surrounded by studs.

You cannot win a title with Mark Sanchez.
    I agree with your first sentence because in order to win a championship a team needs good QB play.

I disagree with your second sentence to the following extent--Both Brad Johnson and Joe Flacco played pro-bowl caliber football the season their teams went to the SB. Johnson actually made the pro bowl. So he fits into the first point about good QB play being essential.

Lastly, no team can win with an awful QB and Sanchez was awful this year. If Sanchez seeks being awful and actually, by some miracle, plays like a good QB consistently, then his team could win.

Of course, Sanchez playing consistently well seems like a very remote possibility.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    Flacco is gifted. The San Fran guy is gifted. Sanchez is not.
    It's not about being "gifted." Jeff George was remarkably gifted.

It's about playing well. That's the bottom line. Kap and Flacco are completely different QBs with different skillsets, but both play well.

If Sanchez wasn't awful and actually played like a good QB, this season and the last 2 years would have different results.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    It's not about being "gifted." Jeff George was remarkably gifted.

It's about playing well. That's the bottom line. Kap and Flacco are completely different QBs with different skillsets, but both play well.

If Sanchez wasn't awful and actually played like a good QB, this season and the last 2 years would have different results.
    Jay Cutler is gifted too. But he's a massive jerkoff. Just like Jeff George. You aren't really comparing apples to apples. George and Cutler are VERY unique situations. Almost unheard of.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL @ Flacco being elite.

I doubt you guys have watched many regular season games of Baltimore.

Flacco has had plenty of meh and downright awful games. He played well down the stretch, but that doesn't make him elite.

As for Kapernick. I like him a lot, but let's not call him elite yet. Yes he's playing very well, but its early. Teams haven't figured him out yet. I mean just look at Cam Newton. Came out the gate blazing, then fell back down to earth when teams started to figure him out.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    You don't need an elite QB to win the Super Bowl, you just need elite QB play for your run. So it sure helps to have one.

Doug Williams, Dilfer, Plunkett, are not elite QBs that have held the trophy, because they've played great football when they had to. McMahon, Rypien and come to mind too. Heck, Sanchez almost did it.

QB is more important than ever before in a high tech, radio head set NFL world.

Flacco and Kaepernick have played great football.

Oh..and Flacco is a legit 6'5" 240 and Kaepernick is at least 6'4" 230 and plays like a boulder headed down a mountain.

Sanchez...regardless of what's listed is barely 6'2" 215...and it matters.