Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reflections on the AFCCG

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Reflections on the AFCCG

One thing that really impressed/surprised me was the number of deflected passes the Ravens had against Brady. I don't recall ever seeing that many against him and he looked more like Sanchez at his worst today. Gotta give that DL props.

I was also surprised to see Welker drop more passes. Last year's big drop was so enjoyable -all the more so because he usually seems very sure-handed - but I recall at least two drops of fairly easy passes today. Is he starting to crack under big-game pressure?

Lastly, a memorable moment. Ray Rice breaking tackles by Mayo and Hightower on that TD run was very reminiscent to me of Braylon dragging two Patsie DBs into the end zone. I really enjoyed that play tonight.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pats D played somewhat typical but their offense really failed them. Brady was just not his usual self. I feel like that has been the case too many times lately. He has 3 SB wins, but since a lot of losses and mediocre performances. He's not Montana

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    One thing that really impressed/surprised me was the number of deflected passes the Ravens had against Brady. I don't recall ever seeing that many against him and he looked more like Sanchez at his worst today. Gotta give that DL props.

I was also surprised to see Welker drop more passes. Last year's big drop was so enjoyable -all the more so because he usually seems very sure-handed - but I recall at least two drops of fairly easy passes today. Is he starting to crack under big-game pressure?

Lastly, a memorable moment. Ray Rice breaking tackles by Mayo and Hightower on that TD run was very reminiscent to me of Braylon dragging two Patsie DBs into the end zone. I really enjoyed that play tonight.
    A few observations so you guys don't think I'm "running away and hiding":

-Pats offense was out of sync the entire game, especially in the 2nd half when they had multiple chances. Ravens defense did a great job taking away the seams in the middle of the field. Pats biggest need on offense are 2 WR's who can stretch the field.

-By my count, Pats had at least 10 missed tackles. Spikes and Mayo were absolutely pathetic the entire game. Can't win an AFCCG when you can't tackle.

-Wes Welker played his last game as a Patriot. Again, two huge drops on 3rd down.

-Gotta keep Ridley's ass on the bench. You don't play RB in the NFL when you constantly put the ball on the ground.

-Vereen was coming off a monster game versus the Texans and was hardly used yesterday. That's on BB and McDaniels.

-Worst clock management in the BB/Brady era at the end of the first half. After Brady's run, you have to call TO. Pats could have tossed it into the endzone 2 more times before kicking a FG.

-Another outstanding game by Flacco. He threw the ball better going into the wind than with the wind. Gotta tip your hat to a performance like that.

-Given the Ravens poor field position in the 1st half, the Pats should have had a 24-7 halftime lead. Pats did nothing to take advantage of field position.

OK, now I have to go and down a bottle of Jack Daniels.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post

-Pats offense was out of sync the entire game, especially in the 2nd half when they had multiple chances. Ravens defense did a great job taking away the seams in the middle of the field. Pats biggest need on offense are 2 WR's who can stretch the field.

-By my count, Pats had at least 10 missed tackles. Spikes and Mayo were absolutely pathetic the entire game. Can't win an AFCCG when you can't tackle.

-Wes Welker played his last game as a Patriot. Again, two huge drops on 3rd down.

-Gotta keep Ridley's ass on the bench. You don't play RB in the NFL when you constantly put the ball on the ground.

-Vereen was coming off a monster game versus the Texans and was hardly used yesterday. That's on BB and McDaniels.

-Worst clock management in the BB/Brady era at the end of the first half. After Brady's run, you have to call TO. Pats could have tossed it into the endzone 2 more times before kicking a FG.

-Another outstanding game by Flacco. He threw the ball better going into the wind than with the wind. Gotta tip your hat to a performance like that.

-Given the Ravens poor field position in the 1st half, the Pats should have had a 24-7 halftime lead. Pats did nothing to take advantage of field position.

Injuries to Talib and Chung really hurt...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought one of the best results of last night's game was that you guys would "run and hide. "

Oh well; nice summation.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    Injuries to Talib and Chung really hurt...
    That's why you have back-ups.

Arrington, Coles and Gregory did nothing to step up.

Injuries should never be an excuse.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's why you have back-ups.

Arrington, Coles and Gregory did nothing to step up.

Injuries should never be an excuse.
    I agree... The D just was not the same when they went out... Any comments on BB refusing to speak after the game?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pats not stretching the field is nothing new. That was an issue last year and they did not address it. This throwing to tight ends all the time seems like the greatest thing in the world but Brady is now Chad Pennington on steroids. 86 yard drives on 27 plays

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    I agree... The D just was not the same when they went out... Any comments on BB refusing to speak after the game?
    Is that really that surprising?

BB is an arrogant prick who thinks he is above everyone else.

I thought Suggs' comments summed things up perfectly.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    One observation of the AFCC:

Out of the 4 teams playing this weekend, as a group, the Patriots WR were a distant 4th to the other teams in ability and skill. Don't get me wrong, they are wonderful "system" WR's who can tear things up during the regular season on multiple set screens, slants, and outs. But they completely lack a "go to" guy; someone with the strength and size to catch a jump ball. The Ravens won that game because Flacco can throw the ball to a "covered" Boldin and he will catch it. Brady has no WR like that. Also, none of them have exceptional "hands"; when is the last time you say a Pat WR make a great catch?

Bellyache has committed the worst of sins. He has a franchise QB and has not given him a high caliber WR. Namath had Maynard; Staubach has Pearson; Bradshaw had Swan; Montana had Rice; Manning had Harrison. Who does Brady have? What a waste.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post

Out of the 4 teams playing this weekend, as a group, the Patriots WR were a distant 4th to the other teams in ability and skill.
    And who would have thought that Kaepernick, Ryan and Flacco would all out-play Brady?

That's exactly what happened yesterday.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Honestly and you know I have said this to you beofore when you are not tyring to rile up the masses out here you are by far one of the best posters on JI.....

Thanks for showing up....

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Honestly and you know I have said this to you beofore when you are not tyring to rile up the masses out here you are by far one of the best posters on JI.....

Thanks for showing up....
    Thanks CB.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget to add a handful of Xanax. That should do the trick.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post

Out of the 4 teams playing this weekend, as a group, the Patriots WR were a distant 4th to the other teams in ability and skill. Don't get me wrong, they are wonderful "system" WR's who can tear things up during the regular season on multiple set screens, slants, and outs. But they completely lack a "go to" guy; someone with the strength and size to catch a jump ball. The Ravens won that game because Flacco can throw the ball to a "covered" Boldin and he will catch it. Brady has no WR like that. Also, none of them have exceptional "hands"; when is the last time you say a Pat WR make a great catch?

Bellyache has committed the worst of sins. He has a franchise QB and has not given him a high caliber WR. Namath had Maynard; Staubach has Pearson; Bradshaw had Swan; Montana had Rice; Manning had Harrison. Who does Brady have? What a waste.
    In all fairness, Gronk was Brady's go-to guy but he was watching from the owner's booth.

------

Good summation, TX. On the big Ridley fumble, he actually seemed to be protecting it pretty well during the end of the run, but I question whether he was even awake when he hit the ground. Not sure you can kill him for that one in particular, although as a fan, I can't blame you a bit.

You're right...clock management was pretty horrid and surprisingly so. Maybe you guys need your own Dick Curl next year.

Any comment on the Brady kick to the groin on the slide?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyYWdy48zkM

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Always a pleasure to read your posts. Always.

I have the sense that the Pats are missing what I would call the Bruschi element on defense---consistently elevating your game in key situations. And I agree of course about the need for WRs.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tx....they always say you learn more about a man when he faces adversity than when things are going great. You are a class act.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post

Any comment on the Brady kick to the groin on the slide?

I'd like to think Brady extended his leg for protection.

Unfortunately, it was clearly not the case.

Pretty bush league in my opinion.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bullitt929 View Post
    Always a pleasure to read your posts. Always.

I have the sense that the Pats are missing what I would call the Bruschi element on defense---consistently elevating your game in key situations. And I agree of course about the need for WRs.
    Makes you wonder how much of a difference Seymour would have made the last two years.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The problem to me with the Pats has always been rythmn. Once they get into a groove, gain confidence and get the defense on their heels, then it is over. Passes are on point, routes are almost perfect and the run game is clicking. When you make them think and act out of their system though by disrupting routes, get Brady off his spot and have them adjust on every down then they get problems. Without rythmn and with tighter coverage these short routes become so hard.

That's how the Jets beat the Pats in 2010 and that's how the Ravens basically have done it in the last two years. Good defensive teams with great minds behind it can atleast slow the Pats down in the postseason and turn it into a slower paced game, kind of an uglier slugfest back and forth matchup. The Pats do not have the toughness or the defense to really do well in these kind of games anymore.