Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Reflections on the AFCCG

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    Montana played when the QB could get his a$$ beat by the D Linemen. Brady has never taken the kind of punishment the Bears, Eagles, and Giants dished out in the 80s. I don't think Brady gets sacked 8 times in one game, and comes back to win it in the 4th quarter with 3 TD passes.
    In the last 5 years years if you sneeze near a top QB you get a flag.. Well except for Marky Mark..

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    You know it was a long time ago but I remember SF running a lot and Joe doing a lot of 5 yard passes/ screens and draws etc. Every now and then a 15 yd crossing pattern to Jerry Rice who would run another 20 yards after the catch.

Joe could be so cool because he never got hit and the play calling was the best.
    Did you ever see him play? Ever?

The whole, "Joe Montana didn't have a great arm" thing is blown out of proportion. He could throw just fine. He won Super Bowls with out Jerry Rice. Any QB then took far more punishment then they take now.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    Montana played when the QB could get his a$$ beat by the D Linemen. Brady has never taken the kind of punishment the Bears, Eagles, and Giants dished out in the 80s. I don't think Brady gets sacked 8 times in one game, and comes back to win it in the 4th quarter with 3 TD passes.
    The way to beat NE is to sack Brady but it isn't easy to do. He makes you pay for the Blitzes.

Joe was great but he had bad games also, especially near the end of his career.

I'd take Brady over Joe. JMO The WCO was more exciting though. And I'd take Bill Walsh over Bill Bellichick. again JMO

All Pro
    The way to beat NE is to sack Brady but it isn't easy to do. He makes you pay for the Blitzes.

I'd take Brady over Joe. JMO The WCO was more exciting though. And I'd take Bill Walsh over Bill Bellichick. again JMO
    You know...the Ravens didn't sack Brady once yesterday. They beat him with pressure and deflections, but no sacks. I think not having Gronk really hurt the Pats more than the loss of a single player should.

The grim reality (for Pats fans) is that with yesterdays loss the Brady-Patriot era is near it's end. Brady will be 36 this summer. How many more years will he play? And regardless of whether he plays as few as 2 or as many as 5, clearly he is not going to become a better QB over the next few years.

This realization has sunk in with many long time Pat fans. I share with you an email from a long time friend in Boston who has already arrived at the "reminiscing" stage of grief.

A tough loss.

But as a long suffering Pats fan-arguably the worst franchise in the NFL save the Lions in the Super Bowl era until Parcells arrived-I appreciate how good really great the Pats have been the last twelve years -7 AFC title games-5 Super Bowl Appearances-3 titles. We have had a great run…it is almost over- I think. The Pats lost this year to both the Super Bowl teams and I think they are just a step behind those two teams. The WR position is an issue and it would have really helped to have Gronkowski.

I find it amusing that the Pats are so relevant that people actually hate them. The Pats did not sellout many game throughout much of the 80s and early 90s-were moving to St. Louis on several occasions-had exactly one (1) playoff game in their first 18 years of existence-a loss to Houston Oilers and were blown out in Super Bowl against the Bears. The old stadium was lousy-I mean really horrendous, no decent seats not much parking, bathrooms that did not work, terrible traffic, a bankrupt owner, drug scandal, sexual harassment issues, etc. So all in all the last twelve years have been a pleasure.

All Pro

Walsh to me is better than anyone I have seen. I didn't see Lombardi, or Shula when he rebuilt the Dolphins. Gibbs back in the 80's was also amazing, as he won 3 rings and got to a 4th with no real great QB.

We can agree to disagree on the QB's. I could also argue that Brady won his 1st 2 Super Bowls as more of a caretaker QB than as the player he is now. You can't really go by passing yards, it's not even a big deal for a QB to throw for 4500 yards any more.

As for the actual topic, Pats still have another run or 2 left in them. Who else is in the AFC? This is the Ravens last shot, they are very old on defense. The Broncos have an older QB with more health concerns, who tends to come up small in big games. The AFC East is still nothing, the Texans are not in the same league, Pitt?

Pats should win 11-12 again next year, and have a top 3 seed.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    The grim reality (for Pats fans) is that with yesterdays loss the Brady-Patriot era is near it's end. Brady will be 36 this summer. How many more years will he play? And regardless of whether he plays as few as 2 or as many as 5, clearly he is not going to become a better QB over the next few years.

This realization has sunk in with many long time Pat fans. I share with you an email from a long time friend in Boston who has already arrived at the "reminiscing" stage of grief.
    That email hits the nail on the head.

Couldn't have sad it better myself.

Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    It does not change the fact that the Pats have no one at WR who Brady can count on in a pinch. It's wonderful to have a truly great TE, but you've got to have a WR too, and the Pats have none. Among all the WR who played Sunday, how many would you pick before you selected a Pats WR?

Boldin
    Smith
    Jones
    White
    Crabtree
    ??? not sure who "started" opposite Crabtree - Moss or Waker, but if
    not injured, it would have been Manningham.

You could credibly claim, that none of the Patriots WR would start on any of the other teams that played Sunday had Manningham been Healthy because 5 of the 6 guys are better than every WR the Pats have.
    Welker's the third best WR of those who played yesterday (behind White and Jones). I take him ahead of Crabtree and Boldin/Smith any day.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    That email hits the nail on the head.

Couldn't have sad it better myself.
    Freudian slip or intentional??

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    Welker's the third best WR of those who played yesterday (behind White and Jones). I take him ahead of Crabtree and Boldin/Smith any day.
    A year go, yes. But the drops start to worry me and I think he may have taken a few too many hits. He seems like the type of WR that could fall off the table very quickly. Smith and Crabtree are young and should get better. I'd certainly take Smith over Welker going into next season but they're also very different types of WRs so perhaps the comparison isn't fair.

Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    A year go, yes. But the drops start to worry me and I think he may have taken a few too many hits. He seems like the type of WR that could fall off the table very quickly. Smith and Crabtree are young and should get better. I'd certainly take Smith over Welker going into next season but they're also very different types of WRs so perhaps the comparison isn't fair.
    Very different. Welker is uncoverable out of the slot. If I have a big armed, not particularly accurate QB, or if I'm building long term, I'll take Smith. If I have Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Manning, and want to win next year, I'll take Welker.

A few observations so you guys don't think I'm "running away and hiding":

-Pats offense was out of sync the entire game, especially in the 2nd half when they had multiple chances. Ravens defense did a great job taking away the seams in the middle of the field. Pats biggest need on offense are 2 WR's who can stretch the field.

-By my count, Pats had at least 10 missed tackles. Spikes and Mayo were absolutely pathetic the entire game. Can't win an AFCCG when you can't tackle.

-Wes Welker played his last game as a Patriot. Again, two huge drops on 3rd down.

-Gotta keep Ridley's ass on the bench. You don't play RB in the NFL when you constantly put the ball on the ground.

-Vereen was coming off a monster game versus the Texans and was hardly used yesterday. That's on BB and McDaniels.

-Worst clock management in the BB/Brady era at the end of the first half. After Brady's run, you have to call TO. Pats could have tossed it into the endzone 2 more times before kicking a FG.

-Another outstanding game by Flacco. He threw the ball better going into the wind than with the wind. Gotta tip your hat to a performance like that.

-Given the Ravens poor field position in the 1st half, the Pats should have had a 24-7 halftime lead. Pats did nothing to take advantage of field position.

OK, now I have to go and down a bottle of Jack Daniels.
    The better team won,simples

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    The better team won,simples
    You just figured that out?

You just figured that out?
    No just thought you might like to be reminded

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    Tx....they always say you learn more about a man when he faces adversity than when things are going great. You are a class act.
    +1 my thoughts exactly!