Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So is Flacco elite now?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

So is Flacco elite now?

I said before this game,this guy is very good and doesn't even get noticed.This guy is clutch and gets it done and if not for a drop by Lee Evans last year would have beat Brady twice in 2 years in playoffs and 3 times past 2 years,as he beat him this reg season.This guy if he stays the pace in the playoffs and slightly improves reg season stats will become the best qb after Peyton/Brady retire in 4 - 5 years time.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If he gets a ring, he'll be in the discussion. He's not elite simply because he beat Brady.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez beat Peyton and Brady in the 2010 playoffs.

Elite HE is not.

Flacco is probably top 10.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Flacco is clutch, just like Eli. In big games you will usually find them playing their best. Flacco just tends to have too many average games overall to be considered elite.

Flacco has never thrown for 4,000 yards nor has he hit 60 on completion percentage the past 2 seasons (career 60.5). With the exception of this season, he's always had a top 10 defense (3 times top 3) and a do-it-all back in Ray Rice.

Flacco has been productive in the playoffs and he usually doesn't turn the ball over too much, but I don't think it makes him elite.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    What is your definition of elite? IMO there are about 6 or so elite QBs in the NFL. For some people there are only 4 or 6.

I think everyone pretty much agrees on the Top 4. Rodgers, Brady, Peyton and Brees.

Then there is your next group that are elite QBs just not at the same level of the Big 4. Eli and Big Ben. IMO if Flacco wins he would go into this group. If he doesn't, he remains slightly below it in the Ryan, Romo category.

IMO there is a clear distinction of the Top 4 and then there are a couple of tiers below them that I still consider to be elite just not as elite. Some people say some QBs are franchise QBs while some are elite franchise QBs. It all depends.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just read a stat that Joe Flacco is now the all time leader in road playoff wins with 6. Pretty impressive.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think he's made the leap into the bottom half of the top 10, but he's still far from elite. Beating SF would be another major stepping stone though.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post

Elite HE is not.

Flacco has grown up this season, but as we know all too well, beating Manning and Brady on the road back-to-back doesn't make you elite.

depends on your definition of elite; to me it's a term reserved for guys that are consensus "top 5" QBs. Flacco isn't there yet but he will enter the discussion if he carries the Ravens to a SB win.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Joe Flacco has always been a good QB. Rated in the top half of the league. Somewhere between 10 and 16. You take his recent run to the superbowl and combine it with his overall body of work and you have a top 10 QB based on his resume. In my opinion, It goes like this.

TOP 4 QUARTERBACKS

PEYTON MANNING
    TOM BRADY
    AARON RODGERS
    DREW BREES

There is a slight drop off from that super group but these are the next guys on the list in the league. You can now put Flacco in this group.

JOE FLACCO
    MATT RYAN
    BEN ROETHLISBERGER
    ELI MANNING

Joe Flacco is now elite. He can cement his status by winning the big game. I have him in the top 8. Then I'd follow these names with Tony Romo and Philip Rivers based on body of work although both have had issues and flaws. This is basically your top 10 group in the league right now.

The next level of quarterbacks are mostly young players with potential for further elevation down the road. This is a list of those names with a few veterans peppered in. Not in any particular order.

CAM NEWTON
    ANDREW LUCK
    RUSSELL WILSON
    ROBERT GRIFFIN III
    JAY CUTLER
    MATTHEW STAFFORD

That's basically the top 16 QB's in the league. You can argue Michael Vick when he is at his peak and healthy but he is currently at the next level with the likes of Matt Schaub. Colin Kaepernick has a small body of work but he can move up to the top half of the league in no time.

Then you start to approach the second and lower half of the league.

You start with the likes of Andy Dalton,Sam Bradford and Josh Freeman. Then you drop off to a fading veterans like Carson Palmer and young players who have yet to shine and some who have regressed badly like our own Mark Sanchez. Sanchez could be ranked 32nd. He is certainly not ranked higher than the likes of Jake Locker,Brandon Weeden and Christian Ponder. He is in the basement with the likes of Kevin Kolb, Matt Cassel and Blaine Gabbert.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't put Flacco in the elite status just yet his getting there. New England defense is just hor-ri-ble so much for BB the defensive guru, Russel Wilson made them look bad and he is a rookie; for that matter every QB made them look bad with the exception of Sanchez.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty damn close.

Remember the days when Flacco vs. Sanchez was an actual debate?

Feels like centuries ago.

Here is how I would rank them right now:

Rodgers
    Brady
    Peyton Manning
    Brees
    Eli Manning
    Flacco
    Roethlisberger
    Ryan
    Last edited by SouthTown; 01-21-2013 at 08:43 AM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    What is your definition of elite? IMO there are about 6 or so elite QBs in the NFL. For some people there are only 4 or 6.

I think everyone pretty much agrees on the Top 4. Rodgers, Brady, Peyton and Brees.

Then there is your next group that are elite QBs just not at the same level of the Big 4. Eli and Big Ben. IMO if Flacco wins he would go into this group. If he doesn't, he remains slightly below it in the Ryan, Romo category.

IMO there is a clear distinction of the Top 4 and then there are a couple of tiers below them that I still consider to be elite just not as elite. Some people say some QBs are franchise QBs while some are elite franchise QBs. It all depends.
    Right now, Flacco is a much better QB than Tony Romo.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Flacco is not there yet. He is tall and strong and has a great arm. He's got all the intangibles. Let him win 2 superbowls and then we can talk about putting him in that group.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonM View Post
    Joe Flacco has always been a good QB. Rated in the top half of the league. Somewhere between 10 and 16. You take his recent run to the superbowl and combine it with his overall body of work and you have a top 10 QB based on his resume. In my opinion, It goes like this.

TOP 4 QUARTERBACKS

PEYTON MANNING
    TOM BRADY
    AARON RODGERS
    DREW BREES

There is a slight drop off from that super group but these are the next guys on the list in the league. You can now put Flacco in this group.

JOE FLACCO
    MATT RYAN
    BEN ROETHLISBERGER
    ELI MANNING

Joe Flacco is now elite. He can cement his status by winning the big game. I have him in the top 8. Then I'd follow these names with Tony Romo and Philip Rivers based on body of work although both have had issues and flaws. This is basically your top 10 group in the league right now.

The next level of quarterbacks are mostly young players with potential for further elevation down the road. This is a list of those names with a few veterans peppered in. Not in any particular order.

CAM NEWTON
    ANDREW LUCK
    RUSSELL WILSON
    ROBERT GRIFFIN III
    JAY CUTLER
    MATTHEW STAFFORD

That's basically the top 16 QB's in the league. You can argue Michael Vick when he is at his peak and healthy but he is currently at the next level with the likes of Matt Schaub. Colin Kaepernick has a small body of work but he can move up to the top half of the league in no time.

Then you start to approach the second and lower half of the league.

You start with the likes of Andy Dalton,Sam Bradford and Josh Freeman. Then you drop off to a fading veterans like Carson Palmer and young players who have yet to shine and some who have regressed badly like our own Mark Sanchez. Sanchez could be ranked 32nd. He is certainly not ranked higher than the likes of Jake Locker,Brandon Weeden and Christian Ponder. He is in the basement with the likes of Kevin Kolb, Matt Cassel and Blaine Gabbert.
    I do not think he is elite ... but I do like your list ranking. Elite to me is Brady, Manning, Rogers, Brees (Rogers being the most talented and youthful ... but least elite to date) ... thats it. Funny how Flacco's trajectory is the exact opposite of Sackchez.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post

Elite HE is not.

Have you heard the saying, what have you done for me lately? Sanchez hasn't done anything since 2010 and is still over payed!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The best thing about Flacco is his arm is great and he is an all weather QB because of it.

We can get a carbon copy of the guy in Glennon if we so choose in this year's draft.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's not in the top 6:

Rodgers
    Brees
    Brady
    Peyton
    Eli
    Roethlisberger

He needs two rings and way better regular season numbers to crack that group.

Any one of those top 6 can win games by themselves. He and Ryan are both supported by extreme skill position talent levels. He has Rice, Smith, and Boldin. Ryan has two top 5-8 WR's on his team and Tony Gonzalez.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    I just read a stat that Joe Flacco is now the all time leader in road playoff wins with 6. Pretty impressive.
    Isn't Sanchez the Jet leader in road wins??

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    He's not in the top 6:

Rodgers
    Brees
    Brady
    Peyton
    Eli
    Roethlisberger

He needs two rings and way better regular season numbers to crack that group.

Any one of those top 6 can win games by themselves. He and Ryan are both supported by extreme skill position talent levels. He has Rice, Smith, and Boldin. Ryan has two top 5-8 WR's on his team and Tony Gonzalez.
    /thread