Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 140

Thread: Brady's attempted spike of Ed Reed

  1. #41
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    (┌・。・)┌ lolgfy
    Posts
    32,463
    Pollard thinks Brady Should Be Punished -

    http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...,1120811.story

  2. #42
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    13,154
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post



    The fact that he's looking at Ed's knee speaks volumes.
    Wow. From that angle it's hard to say he didn't do it on purpose.

  3. #43
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,374
    Brady should really preempt this whole thing and reach out to Reed and apologize. It's hard to ascribe intent on things like this when the game moves do fast and Brady has a clear propensity to try and protect himself from big hits these days, but that play looks pretty bad - there really is no reason to slide like that. I doubt his intention was to actually spear him, but at best, it's extremely reckless.

  4. #44
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Queens
    Posts
    130
    I couldnt agree more with Pollard unfortunately the chances the NFL actually does something about it is almost none simply because of who it is. Its disgusting favoritism and another reason I cant wait for Brady to be gone for good.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Brady should really preempt this whole thing and reach out to Reed and apologize. It's hard to ascribe intent on things like this when the game moves do fast and Brady has a clear propensity to try and protect himself from big hits these days, but that play looks pretty bad - there really is no reason to slide like that. I doubt his intention was to actually spear him, but at best, it's extremely reckless.
    +1, i doubt even Brady knows wtf he was trying to do. That sort of thing could've put both of them in the hospital for surgery. It wouldn't surprise me if he gets fined for it.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Axil View Post
    +1, i doubt even Brady knows wtf he was trying to do. That sort of thing could've put both of them in the hospital for surgery. It wouldn't surprise me if he gets fined for it.

    It WOULDN'T? You really think the league is gonna fine their golden boy?

  7. #47
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    2,503
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    It should have been flagged. Any other QB would have. Given the motion of his slide Ed Reed could have easily avoided him, or avoided contact.
    Brady made that impossible to do by sticking his leg up.



    http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar..._high/12711163
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post



    The fact that he's looking at Ed's knee speaks volumes.
    That looks dirty. I agree with crash and hope she calls Ed Reed to apologize. A fine won't matter to him with all the money he makes from playing and advertisements.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    It WOULDN'T? You really think the league is gonna fine their golden boy?
    I think it's more likely than not they do. A fine is a slap on the wrist. Brady gets the Micheal Jordan treatment during the game. He gets calls no one else gets, but i don't think that extends off the field. There's no reason for the league not to fine him, and there's no reason for him to particularly upset about getting fined. The personal foul that wasn't called could've been far more costly.

  9. #49
    I didn't like that play at all, tbh. I'd like to think it was just a very nonathletic Brady trying to protect himself, but that doesn't fly. He should apologize no matter.

    But lmao at Pollard calling ANYONE dirty. He's as dirty as they come.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Axil View Post
    I think it's more likely than not they do. A fine is a slap on the wrist. Brady gets the Micheal Jordan treatment during the game. He gets calls no one else gets, but i don't think that extends off the field. There's no reason for the league not to fine him, and there's no reason for him to particularly upset about getting fined. The personal foul that wasn't called could've been far more costly.
    You know, that's the perception, but not the reality. He actually gets very few roughing calls for instance compared to other QBs. Once again, this board plays loose with the facts that just don't exist....

    The NFL protects its big-name quarterbacks?

    Well, I guess you are right — if you feel that the top three QBs in the league are Jason Campbell, Jay Cutler and Colt McCoy. Statistics from the 2010 season, combined with the first three weeks of the 2011 season, show that the Raiders’ Campbell ranked No. 1 in drawing roughing the passer penalties, getting 1.46 for every 100 passes. The Bears’ Cutler drew 1.28 and Cleveland's McCoy 1.20. Oh, and by the way, next in line was the Panthers’ Jimmy Clausen at 1.0.

    What about Tom Brady and Peyton Manning? Let me look down the list, although it might take me a while since they both are way down there. Brady does get more protection than Manning, that’s for sure. Brady has drawn 0.16 roughing the passer calls per 100 attempts compared to 0.15 for Manning. That, for Brady, is one call in every 625 pass attempts, while for Manning it is one call for every 679 attempts.

    The whole list and rest of the story: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/s...vorites-092911

  11. #51

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    You know, that's the perception, but not the reality. He actually gets very few roughing calls for instance compared to other QBs. Once again, this board plays loose with the facts that just don't exist....




    The whole list and rest of the story: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/s...vorites-092911
    Your graph is useless. Of course the referees don't call roughing on plays where no one is able to actually make contact with Brady.

    Find me a graph with calls per contact not calls per pass. Even then you have to assume that the defensive players aren't more careful with the way they contact marquee QB's (Brady, rogers, Peyton) than scrubs. I don't think that's a safe assumption.

    All your graph proves in Brady has a pretty good OL.

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    You know, that's the perception, but not the reality. He actually gets very few roughing calls for instance compared to other QBs. Once again, this board plays loose with the facts that just don't exist....




    The whole list and rest of the story: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/s...vorites-092911
    I have to say, that's a pretty incomplete article. Wouldn't a more accurate gauge be Roughing Calls per QB hits. It stands to reason that Cutler would have the most roughing passes called against him since he was hit ALL THE TIME. Brady and Manning both have quick releases and often don't get touched.

    I'm not saying you are wrong, but roughing penalties per attempts is useless without knowing how often the QB was even touched.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Axil View Post
    Your graph is useless. Of course the referees don't call roughing on plays where no one is able to actually make contact with Brady.

    Find me a graph with calls per contact not calls per pass. Even then you have to assume that the defensive players aren't more careful with the way they contact marquee QB's (Brady, rogers, Peyton) than scrubs. I don't think that's a safe assumption.

    All your graph proves in Brady has a pretty good OL.
    exactly. We need Brady's roughing flags-to-hits ratio. I'd imagine he's got one of higher ones in the league. Although I think some refs react badly to his on-the-field-hysterics and look away. I would. Bradyay is a pussay

  15. #55
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,374
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    I didn't like that play at all, tbh. I'd like to think it was just a very nonathletic Brady trying to protect himself, but that doesn't fly. He should apologize no matter.

    But lmao at Pollard calling ANYONE dirty. He's as dirty as they come.
    That's a large part of it, no doubt. Still a very strange move to pull. I'm sure he'd like to have it back and wasn't intentionally trying to take out Ed Reed's knee, but the result of it - whatever the rationale behind it - could have been very costly.

    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    You know, that's the perception, but not the reality. He actually gets very few roughing calls for instance compared to other QBs. Once again, this board plays loose with the facts that just don't exist....
    This is one of those eyeball things. Watching a game, its fairly evident that Brady (and Manning and others) get the benefit of the doubt on close calls. Its not all that big a deal. Happens with all superstars. You can say the same with Revis too (although with a CB, its a bit difference as the PI call or non-call is a direct result of his specific play and skill - a roughing the passer call is not directly correlated to the actual skill these guys possess - just their reputation.)

    Bottom line, it comes with the territory. Superstars getting calls is not going to change and this nothing really wrong with it. Gives fans on messageboards something to b!tch about.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    That's a large part of it, no doubt. Still a very strange move to pull. I'm sure he'd like to have it back and wasn't intentionally trying to take out Ed Reed's knee, but the result of it - whatever the rationale behind it - could have been very costly.



    This is one of those eyeball things. Watching a game, its fairly evident that Brady (and Manning and others) get the benefit of the doubt on close calls. Its not all that big a deal. Happens with all superstars. You can say the same with Revis too (although with a CB, its a bit difference as the PI call or non-call is a direct result of his specific play and skill - a roughing the passer call is not directly correlated to the actual skill these guys possess - just their reputation.)

    Bottom line, it comes with the territory. Superstars getting calls is not going to change and this nothing really wrong with it. Gives fans on messageboards something to b!tch about.
    Agree with all of this.

    And not only could he have hurt Reed, but himself in the process. Dumb if indeed intentional.

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    Agree with all of this.

    And not only could he have hurt Reed, but himself in the process. Dumb if indeed intentional.
    Which is why i doubt Brady decided "Hey, i'm going to hurt this guy". Brady is a lot of things, but he's not stupid. He lost a year to a leg injury and he's going to intentionally throw it in front of a DB running fullspeed at him?

  18. #58
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornwood, NY
    Posts
    5,643
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    It WOULDN'T? You really think the league is gonna fine their golden boy?
    Can't believe I'm getting to say this, but I'm starting to believe Brady isn't the league's golden boy anymore. The crop of young new starters coming up is going to be a lot more important to the league than Manning, Brady and Brees now and will probably start getting a lot more of the attention over the next year or two.

  19. #59
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,765
    Quote Originally Posted by Axil View Post
    Which is why i doubt Brady decided "Hey, i'm going to hurt this guy". Brady is a lot of things, but he's not stupid. He lost a year to a leg injury and he's going to intentionally throw it in front of a DB running fullspeed at him?
    You can't fine him for intention because no one knows what his intention was. Brady's a spaz and could have been protecting himself. Perhaps Reed told Brady he was going to destroy him the next time he had a shot. You just don't know the circumstances. As far as we know, Brady has nothing to apologize for.

    What we do know is on film. Brady had his eyes on Reed, slid, and raised his foot to make contact with the defender. Regardless of intention, it's a dangerous (and *****-ass) play. That's all the league needs to know. He should be fined.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by ubrnostrum View Post
    You can't fine him for intention because no one knows what his intention was. Brady's a spaz and could have been protecting himself. Perhaps Reed told Brady he was going to destroy him the next time he had a shot. You just don't know the circumstances. As far as we know, Brady has nothing to apologize for.

    What we do know is on film. Brady had his eyes on Reed, slid, and raised his foot to make contact with the defender. Regardless of intention, it's a dangerous (and *****-ass) play. That's all the league needs to know. He should be fined.
    Agree 100% he should be fined on the basis it was highly dangerous alone

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us