Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Brady's attempted spike of Ed Reed

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    The Pats had their own tripping incident (before Alosi) that somehow never got the publicity that our's did.

I would post the video (I have posted it before here) but it has been delted from YouTube. Here is an article:

http://www.sportsgrid.com/nfl/patriots-tripping-video/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...p-jets-gunner/

Edit - Found the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEKEyHJFpYo
    Not too obvious without a microscope (I couldn't see anyone sticking their foot out and Jimmy Johnson agrees with me) but even if true, so what? The Jets got caught filming the Pats coach's signals from the sidelines before Spygate, and no one made a big deal about it, even the Pats who unlike the Jets, didn't call NFL security.

...that somehow never got the publicity that our's did.
    Last edited by GuidoYaztremski; 01-22-2013 at 07:59 PM.

NFL officials are reviewing a slide by New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady during the AFC Championship Game in which he appeared to make a kicking motion directed at Baltimore Ravens safety Ed Reed, according to an ESPN.com report.
    Brady slid after a scramble in the final minute of the first half. One leg was raised and hit Reed, who wasn't hurt. Ravens safety Bernard Pollard called Brady out and said he should be fined.
    He told reporters, "If you want to keep this going in the right direction, everyone should be penalized for their actions."
    Reed said Tuesday that Brady apologized to him.
    "You know, I understand Brady's point," Reed told WJZ-FM. "Him protecting himself. I know he's a great player. I respect Brady and his game for all it stands for, and I know he's not a dirty player. And emotions get going in the game.
    "He actually reached out to me, texted me. I tried to text him back, but the message exploded after 12 seconds, so I had to call him. He just apologized and what not. But I told him, 'You know, it's good, man.'"

NFL to look at Tom Brady's kick-slide; Brady apologizes to Reed
    By Josh Katzowitz | Blogger
    January 22, 2013 12:44 pm ET

Will this kick-slide cost Brady money? (US Presswire)

As you can see in the photo above and the GIF below, Tom Brady went spikes-high in the AFC title game against Ravens safety Ed Reed as he slid, a move that safety Bernard Pollard called “bull crap.” Now, according to CBSSports.com's Mike Freeman, the NFL will study the play to see if Brady needs to be disciplined.

Take a look at the slide in real time to determine if you think Brady's kick at Reed was intentional. Well, it looks intentional. The question, I guess, is whether it was malicious, or if the Patriots quarterback who has since apologized to Reed simply was trying to defend himself.

Pollard thinks it's the former.

"You've got to keep them legs down," Pollard said, via CSN New England. "You've got to keep the legs down. We all know and understand what's going on there. And as a quarterback, when you go to slide, we're taught ... we can't do anything … [Brady] knew what he was doing. It has to go both ways. Hopefully the NFL will do something about it. If they don't, that's fine. If they do, then that's fine."

Brady, though, also apologized to Reed.

"You know, I understand Brady's point," Reed told WJF-FX, via NFL.com. "Him protecting himself. I know he's a great player. I respect Brady and his game for all it stands for, and I know he's not a dirty player. And emotions get going in the game.

"I told him -- you know, we talked. We talked actually not too long ago, we talked on the phone. He actually reached out to me, texted me. I tried to text him back, but the message exploded after 12 seconds, so I had to call him ... and he's just apologized and what not. But I told him, 'You know, it's good, man.'"

Honestly, it would be a bit of a surprise if the NFL decided to fine Brady. But consider this: When Detroit's Ndamukong Suh did something similar earlier this year (similar in that we couldn't tell if his kick to Matt Schaub's groin was intentional), the league fined him $30,000.

And sure, Suh has had previous disciplinary problems, while Brady has been squeaky clean. But without some kind of acknowledgment that Brady did wrong, the league likely will further alienate the NFL's defensive players who already feel that the offensive stars are playing by a different set of disciplinary rules.

A-holes from the past...

to present

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZPTw2Ayz_w

Suh was fined $30,000 for this. Should Brady receive a fine?

There was no contact in Brady's (practically), unlike Suh's. That's what I feel will be the defining criteria.

I believe Brady's was more dangerous, however, should it have connected.

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZPTw2Ayz_w

Suh was fined $30,000 for this. Should Brady receive a fine?

There was no contact in Brady's (practically), unlike Suh's. That's what I feel will be the defining criteria.

I believe Brady's was more dangerous, however, should it have connected.
    There WAS contact.

Let's look at it frame by frame, too.

Just before contact, Brady lifts his leg to hit Reed.

Brady straightens his leg out as he makes contact with Reed's knee.

As Brady makes contact with Reed, the force from Reed pushes against Brady and causes his knee to bend. The force from Brady kicking out causes Reed's leg to straighten up.

Basically the same thing as the last frame. You can tell there was contact since Brady's leg has moved to a higher position, following Reed's body.

Brady finally straightens his leg out one more time, I'm assuming to reestablish the positioning he had previously.
    Last edited by McGinley; 01-22-2013 at 11:47 PM.

So, the only difference is that there was no injury?

I believe there should be a fine here, but that's just my opinion.

So, the only difference is that there was no injury?

I believe there should be a fine here, but that's just my opinion.
    I think that if Suh got fined for what he did, Brady should be fined for sure because it was blatantly obvious that his intent was to kick Reed. To injure him, on the other hand, I seriously doubt was his intention.

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    I think that if Suh got fined for what he did, Brady should be fined for sure because it was blatantly obvious that his intent was to kick Reed. To injure him, on the other hand, I seriously doubt was his intention.
    I believe he did it because of the combination of fear of getting hit, poor sportsmanship (being a poor loser), and panic that he was losing. Injuring Reed was probably an afterthought.

I also believe he apologized because he was called out on it. Basically he got caught, and he's apologizing.

I believe he did it because of the combination of fear of getting hit, poor sportsmanship (being a poor loser), and panic that he was losing. Injuring Reed was probably an afterthought.
    I think Brady was showing how much of a terrified ***** he truly is. I don't think his intent was to hurt Reed. He was just acting the way any scared little ***** would act. His intent, however, doesn't matter since the league doesn't fine based on intent - intent being something that they can't prove.

I also believe he apologized because he was called out on it. Basically he got caught, and he's apologizing.
    That's fine, and good on Brady for doing that. He still did it, though, and he should be punished just like any other player. If the league doesn't want to punish him, then they should admit their bias towards Brady and the team he plays for.

I think Brady was showing how much of a terrified ***** he truly is. I don't think his intent was to hurt Reed. He was just acting the way any scared little ***** would act. His intent, however, doesn't matter since the league doesn't fine based on intent - intent being something that they can't prove.

That's fine, and good on Brady for doing that. He still did it, though, and he should be punished just like any other player. If the league doesn't want to punish him, then they should admit their bias towards Brady and the team he plays for.
    Agree 100%.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    Not too obvious without a microscope (I couldn't see anyone sticking their foot out and Jimmy Johnson agrees with me) but even if true, so what? The Jets got caught filming the Pats coach's signals from the sidelines before Spygate, and no one made a big deal about it, even the Pats who unlike the Jets, didn't call NFL security.

...that somehow never got the publicity that our's did.
    and who can forget this gem?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    Reed said Tuesday that Brady apologized to him.
    "You know, I understand Brady's point," Reed told WJZ-FM. "Him protecting himself. I know he's a great player. I respect Brady and his game for all it stands for, and I know he's not a dirty player. And emotions get going in the game.
    Thats the end of it for me.

Watching a ridiculously slowed down version of it...frame by frame...and analyzing it like it was real time...stupid.

Not a fan of Brades personally, but this is a stretch.

-

I think Brady was showing how much of a terrified ***** he truly is. I don't think his intent was to hurt Reed. He was just acting the way any scared little ***** would act. His intent, however, doesn't matter since the league doesn't fine based on intent - intent being something that they can't prove....
    This is exactly how I'm seeing it. You can see the fear in her eyes.

Yeah, she's got a great arm, football smarts, and an extra helmet radio or two which is enough for a QB obviously.
    But as far as athletes and most football players go (aside from kickers), she does not belong on the field.
    The girl is terrified of contact.

Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Thats the end of it for me.

Watching a ridiculously slowed down version of it...frame by frame...and analyzing it like it was real time...stupid.

Not a fan of Brades personally, but this is a stretch.

-

Come on brother...do any of us expect Ed Reed who takes peoples heads off for a living as physical as he is and as athletic, do any us truly expect Reed to cry about that cheap shot? A Safety is always looking to take someone out. Ed understands the cheap shot but has way too much class to admit it and make a big stink about it when he himself goes out to smash people.

Ed Reed is no hypocrite thats all.

ESPN Link

Look at the map. I find it telling. The red part is barely red.

ESPN Link

Look at the map. I find it telling. The red part is barely red.
    lol, that's hilarious. Homers gon' homer.

Banned
    Once again a Patriots thread dominate the Jets board.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by HitSomeone41 View Post
    Come on brother...do any of us expect Ed Reed who takes peoples heads off for a living as physical as he is and as athletic, do any us truly expect Reed to cry about that cheap shot? A Safety is always looking to take someone out. Ed understands the cheap shot but has way too much class to admit it and make a big stink about it when he himself goes out to smash people.

Ed Reed is no hypocrite thats all.
    To your point, if anything, Brades knew a cheap shot artist was bearing down on him. He acted instinctively, methinks more out of fear than malice. Either way, he's sitting home with his own fans wanting to run him out of town.

This is a non-story, imho.

-