Thread: Why the Ravens beat the Pats

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Why the Ravens beat the Pats

IMO the Ravens came in and were overly physical with the Pats on both offense and defense. They came in with an "attitude" and made receivers pay for catches. That is the way to beat the Patsies. It was especially pleasing to see that fat man Wilfork not have an impact.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    At least one Ravens player didn't feel as if beating the Patriots on their home field was enough. [The Ravens are[ a team, a linebacking crew, a locker room of Ray Lewis and Terrell Suggs, one a 37-year-old, just-hanging on legend who fashions himself a preacher, the other a 30-year-old in his prime juggernaut who doesn't mind playing a wrestling villain for laughs. ... "These are the most arrogant [p-----] in the world, starting with [coach Bill] Belichick on down," Suggs declared. "Tell them to have fun at the Pro Bowl. Arrogant [expletive]." He wasn't done. "That's funny, ever since Spygate, they can't seem to get it done," he said in a mock tone to no one in particular. "I don't know what it is."

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Physicality is an overused term. There was a lot of hard hits on both sides. Mayo delivered a couple that I was surprised weren't flagged.

The Ravens won because defense still wins championships. That's why the Patriots have continued to get almost all of the way there only to have their season ended by the Ravens, Jets or Giants.

The Patriots had a top 10 defense in scoring but still give up a lot of yards. The loss of Talib was huge and prevented the Pats from playing as aggressive on defense as they had the past few weeks. The Ravens had injuries and issues on defense too but are the overall better defense. And they won.

The Patriots remind me of the early 2000s Colts or Marino's dolphins. Racking up big, lopsided wins until they run into a team with a defense that knows how to stop them.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fnordcircle View Post
    Physicality is an overused term. There was a lot of hard hits on both sides. Mayo delivered a couple that I was surprised weren't flagged.

The Ravens won because defense still wins championships. That's why the Patriots have continued to get almost all of the way there only to have their season ended by the Ravens, Jets or Giants.

The Patriots had a top 10 defense in scoring but still give up a lot of yards. The loss of Talib was huge and prevented the Pats from playing as aggressive on defense as they had the past few weeks. The Ravens had injuries and issues on defense too but are the overall better defense. And they won.

The Patriots remind me of the early 2000s Colts or Marino's dolphins. Racking up big, lopsided wins until they run into a team with a defense that knows how to stop them.
    Can't argue with you with there. It was good to finally see some defense in the playoffs

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fnordcircle View Post

exactly. You can have the greatest offense of all time (see Pats over the past 5 years), but you still need a great D. Everyone keeps saying it's an offensive game and to a point it is true. But the two teams remaining had their defenses step up when needed -- both SF and BALT threw second half shutouts.

And the past handful and more of SB champs had their defenses playing at a very high level in the playoffs

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Ravens won because they are better on both sides of the ball. Pretty simple.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    This game was a toss-up until 3 untimely turnovers by the Pats and the Ravens didnt turn the ball over. The Pats relied on other teams turning over the ball all season but when it didnt happen they lost. The Pats were +25 for the season. Without the turnovers they cant stop a nose bleed!