Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 50

Thread: So ya think the Pats are that good..not when it counts

  1. #1

    So ya think the Pats are that good..not when it counts

    The Patriots have developed a fatal pattern of playing their best football in the regular season and their worst football in the playoffs.

    Here's the evidence.

    In 2007, the Patriots averaged 36.8 points per game in the regular season and finished with a 16-0 record. But they imploded during Super Bowl XLII; the Giants sacked Tom Brady five times and held him to a single passing touchdown. The Patriots only scored 14 points.

    In 2009, during a playoff game against the Ravens in the Wild Card Round, the Patriots allowed Ray Rice to burn them for an 83-yard touchdown on the first play of the game. The Ravens scored again on their next possession, too, going up 14-0 after five minutes. The Patriots didn't sack Joe Flacco once all day. The Ravens sacked Tom Brady three times and they also intercepted him three times. The Patriots only scored 14 points.

    In 2010, the Patriots averaged 32.4 points per game and finished the season with a 14-2 record. Then, during a playoff game against the Jets in the divisional round, the Patriots allowed Mark Sanchez to throw three touchdowns without a single interception. They didn't sack Sanchez once. Meanwhile, the Jets sacked Tom Brady five times, intercepted him once and held him to two touchdowns.

    In 2011, the Patriots averaged 32.1 points per game and finished the season with a 13-3 record. Then came the ghosts. During Super Bowl XLVI, the Patriots were hit with a safety on Tom Brady's first throw of the game. The Giants sacked Brady twice and hit him eight times. New England's high-powered offense only produced 17 points all night. The Patriots lost, despite the fact that Eli Manning only threw one touchdown in the game.

    In 2012, the Patriots averaged 34.8 points per game and earned a playoff bye. And, yet again, they imploded in the playoffs. They scored a dismal 13 points against the Ravens in the AFC Championship. They let Joe Flacco throw three touchdowns without an interception. Worst of all: The Patriots went scoreless in the second half.

    This pattern is too clear to ignore. This isn't a lack of talent, this is a lack of leadership and preparation, starting at the top.

    Bill Belichick should have his team ready to play their best football in the most important games of the postseason. Instead, the Patriots regularly look passive and baffled in these big games.

    There's plenty of blame to go around, but the head coach gets the bulk

  2. #2
    Their High powered offense and no defense may get the job done in regular season..but strong defense will beat them in the playoffs.. That and a qb who doesn't turn the ball over. Every team you mentioned beating the pats had stellar D.

  3. #3
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    2,194
    Considering there offensive prowess in the regular season they won all there SB's by 3 points and I believe lost them by the same. The Bills went 4 times after dominating the regular season and lost all of them. Even the great HC's lose the big ones it's the NFL.

  4. #4
    I hate defending the Pats but I'd much rather win the division every friggin year and make the playoffs than have no shot half the time.

  5. #5
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I hate defending the Pats but I'd much rather win the division every friggin year and make the playoffs than have no shot half the time.
    That would make the draft so boring though

  6. #6
    Again it comes down to that idiom.

    Even in an offensive league, defense wins championships.

    The Patriots have never been able to replace the great defensive players they used to have: Vrabel, Bruschi, Law, Harrison, Seymour, Samuel, McGinest. These guys were not only great players but they were leaders. The Patriots still do not have a great leader on defense. Wilfork and Mayo are good, but they are not the true leaders on that defense.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I hate defending the Pats but I'd much rather win the division every friggin year and make the playoffs than have no shot half the time.
    And that's all you can ask for as a fan of any NFL team.

    Put a quality team on the field year after year, win the division, get a #1 or #2 seed, and take your chances in the playoffs.

  8. #8
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    12,360
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    And that's all you can ask for as a fan of any NFL team.

    Put a quality team on the field year after year, win the division, get a #1 or #2 seed, and take your chances in the playoffs.
    Bwa-hahahahahahhaahahahahahahaa


    Jerky



    Hahahahahahahaahahahahahahahaha
    Last edited by JonEJet; 01-21-2013 at 11:12 AM.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52,055
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    Bwa-hahahahahahhaahahahahahahaa


    Jerkoff



    Hahahahahahahaahahahahahahahaha
    How's you back-to-back non-winning seasons working out for you JonE?

  10. #10
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    12,360
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    How's you back-to-back non-winning seasons working out for you JonE?
    Bwa-hahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahaah
    ahhahahahahaahahaahahahaahahahaahahahhaaa

    Brady lives in LA Football just isn't as important as it used to be

    Hahhahahahhahahahahaahahahahahhahahaha

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    How's you back-to-back non-winning seasons working out for you JonE?
    I really hate that expression "Non-winning season". The opposite of winning is losing. So a non winning season by logic should be a losing season.

    They should call it an even or neutral season.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    That would make the draft so boring though
    Come now, you just need to know how to 'manipulate the draft' like Belichick does each year.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52,055
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post

    Brady lives in LA Football just isn't as important as it used to be
    You do relaize that Brady has more playoff wins than the Jets have appearances in their entire existance in the NFL?

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    You do relaize that Brady has more playoff wins than the Jets have appearances in their entire existance in the NFL?
    Do you mean playoff games played? Or number of times played in the playoffs? Because a lot of teams have less appearances in the playoffs than Brady has wins?

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Again it comes down to that idiom.

    Even in an offensive league, defense wins championships.

    The Patriots have never been able to replace the great defensive players they used to have: Vrabel, Bruschi, Law, Harrison, Seymour, Samuel, McGinest. These guys were not only great players but they were leaders. The Patriots still do not have a great leader on defense. Wilfork and Mayo are good, but they are not the true leaders on that defense.
    Those guys were cheating big time! stealing signals, spygate, etc...

  16. #16
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    22,221
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I hate defending the Pats but I'd much rather win the division every friggin year and make the playoffs than have no shot half the time.
    +1 They have their flaws but for their fans they mostly see Ws.

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Do you mean playoff games played? Or number of times played in the playoffs? Because a lot of teams have less appearances in the playoffs than Brady has wins?
    Never mind, I screwed that up.

    Brady has 17 wins, Jets have played in 25 playoff games.

  18. #18
    Only bitter, jealous JET FANS are capable of taking everything that the pats have done (virtually dominating at best, extremely successful at worst) and dismiss it.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by dickkotite View Post
    Only bitter, jealous JET FANS are capable of taking everything that the pats have done (virtually dominating at best, extremely successful at worst) and dismiss it.
    Well take away Spygate and you're the McNabb Philadelphia Eagles. Lots of games won, Conference Championship games, Division Titles... but, NO PARADE

    without Spygate, the Pats are the McNabb Philadelphia Eagles

  20. #20
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    12,360
    I can't stand Tex, but I have to give him credit for taking his lumps

    He's the only one, where is

    CleatMark
    AFCEastFan
    Guido

    ect, ect ect

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us