Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's say Geno is available at #9

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Based on the talk about QB's like Cam, RGIII, and Bradford the last few years, teams are always going to talk themselves into taking QB's much higher than initially anticipated. In 2010, Suh was going to be the #1 pick at this stage. Then it was Nick Fairley, and of course Luck. But those guys were supposed to go lower until they were worked out more extensively.

I honestly don't believe Geno Smith will be there. Either Kansas City, Arizona, or Buffalo will take him. But if he is there, depending on if we could trade back and what players are available, I would absolutely at the very least seriously consider taking him. He's accurate and athletic. The new OC could do some interesting things with him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooo oo

we get our QB in the second nassib hopefully if buffalo passes on him which i doubt they will.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrenegade View Post
    nnnnnnooooooooooooo

we get our QB in the second nassib hopefully if buffalo passes on him which i doubt they will.
    Geno is hands down the top QB in this draft class.

If he falls to #9, you don't pass on him in favor of the 3rd/4th rated passrusher. That's just retarded.

If Rex is truly a defensive guru, then why the hell does he need 1st round picks all over the place to field a Top 10 defense?

Fix the goddamn offense already.

And I have no idea why everyone wants to bank on one of these mid round QB's becoming anything more than a longterm backup at best.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd take him in a heartbeat. As a fan and an alumnus of WVU, I am always hesitant to promote taking guys from WVU...would suck to have to hate them if they completely busted.

A few things get overlooked with Geno. He played in a pro style offense his sophomore year when Bill Stewart was the head coach. In his 3 years as a starter his pick totals have been 7, 7 and 6 as a senior. That's over 1,400 attempts with only 20 picks. His ability to minimize turnovers would be a huge upgrade to what we are currently staring at. Because of all of the press the Clemson game got, people think he played in a dink and dunk system. While he does complete a number of shorter throws, he can make all of the throws and pushes the ball down field quite a bit.

He has never played with a good offensive line and has never had a consistent running game. Those two things obviously go hand in hand. He holds onto the ball too long at times and takes sacks. He's also too reluctant to tuck it and run. Mobility is something he has, but rarely uses.

Anyway, you can do a hell of a lot worse at 9 than Geno.

Now one guy that I absolutely love from WVU is Stedman Bailey. That guy is going to be great value wherever he goes. Not the biggest or fastest, but he always manages to get over the top of the defense and makes tough catches in traffic. Has a lot of Steve Smith in him. Loves playing physical and will hit you in the mouth.

Bailey 2012: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9i0ZNwUURQ

2011: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOnISzeG2Ao

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe Buffalo will reach for Nassib at 8 unnecessarily because they're scared of him going late first to a team like the Rams or even the Cowboys and they will pay for it. The press/workout situation surrounding him reeks of Blaine Gabbert to me. Nassib is a 2nd or 3rd round prospect (good, not great) and I believe he would be in a better mental position to succeed if he were taken there. Top 10 picks (esp QBs) that are reaches face the same pressure as any top 10 choice, but as a reach the talent just isn't there (see Sanchez, Mark).

The lack of pressure + less cap space devoted to QBs + not as much disparity in QB talent is why I believe we are best fit to address a hole (O-line IMO) where we can get a plug-and-play All-Rookie player and then take a project QB in the 2nd. Dalton and Kaepernick come to mind (they probably could have been reached for in the 1st, not as top 10 picks but by trading down later into the round -- instead the Bengals and Niners were patient and got All-Pro players in Green and Aldon Smith)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveC1834 View Post
    I'd take him in a heartbeat. As a fan and an alumnus of WVU, I am always hesitant to promote taking guys from WVU...would suck to have to hate them if they completely busted.

A few things get overlooked with Geno. He played in a pro style offense his sophomore year when Bill Stewart was the head coach. In his 3 years as a starter his pick totals have been 7, 7 and 6 as a senior. That's over 1,400 attempts with only 20 picks. His ability to minimize turnovers would be a huge upgrade to what we are currently staring at. Because of all of the press the Clemson game got, people think he played in a dink and dunk system. While he does complete a number of shorter throws, he can make all of the throws and pushes the ball down field quite a bit.

He has never played with a good offensive line and has never had a consistent running game. Those two things obviously go hand in hand. He holds onto the ball too long at times and takes sacks. He's also too reluctant to tuck it and run. Mobility is something he has, but rarely uses.

Anyway, you can do a hell of a lot worse at 9 than Geno.

Now one guy that I absolutely love from WVU is Stedman Bailey. That guy is going to be great value wherever he goes. Not the biggest or fastest, but he always manages to get over the top of the defense and makes tough catches in traffic. Has a lot of Steve Smith in him. Loves playing physical and will hit you in the mouth.

Bailey 2012: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9i0ZNwUURQ

2011: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOnISzeG2Ao
    i have Bailey in my top five wr list this yr.

1 Hopkins
    2 Patton
    3 Bailey
    4 Robinson
    5 Swope
    6 Harper
    7 Mellette

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Because we both finished 6-10 and they pick before us in the first round, we actually pick before buffalo in the 2nd round.

They will have to leap frog us to get Nassib IMO if neither team has chosen a QB by the time the 2nd round gets to us.

It will probably be ver difficult for marrone to objectively evaluate the cost/price of geno/glennon/barkley at 9 vs trading up for nassib later.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    NFW

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Because we both finished 6-10 and they pick before us in the first round, we actually pick before buffalo in the 2nd round.

They will have to leap frog us to get Nassib IMO if neither team has chosen a QB by the time the 2nd round gets to us.

It will probably be ver difficult for marrone to objectively evaluate the cost/price of geno/glennon/barkley at 9 vs trading up for nassib later.
    yeah i am guessing he does leapfrog us in the second for him.

I just don't see geno fitting in a wco

he would be better with a team running the spread or pistol he is not warren moon

he looks like vick lite to me

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

he would be better with a team running the spread or pistol he is not warren moon

Geno is nothing like Vick.

He's very much a pocket passer. He only takes off when it's absolutely necessary. Hell, one could argue that he doesn't take off from the pocket enough given his athletic ability.

I think he's a great fit for the west coast offense.

He's accurate, mobile, and he's a smart kid who makes good decisions.

That's exactly what you need in a QB to run the WCO.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing close to Vick. They are both black but that's about it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

He's very much a pocket passer. He only takes off when it's absolutely necessary. Hell, one could argue that he doesn't take off from the pocket enough given his athletic ability.

Very true. I wouldnt be surprised if Barkley and Tyler Wilson both run faster 40s than Geno. If people think Geno is some sort of spread option guy, they haven't watched him college.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Very true. I wouldnt be surprised if Barkley and Tyler Wilson both run faster 40s than Geno. If people think Geno is some sort of spread option guy, they haven't watched him college.
    I keep saying it but Stafford is a very good example of what Geno is. Has been making pro plays but mostly out of the shot gun. Rocket launcher for an arm and puts good touch on the right throws. Some tendency to force throws and needs to work on mechanics and footwork. Nothing drastic thou. He can be a Farve or Cutler type QB, is not a runner.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    I keep saying it but Stafford is a very good example of what Geno is. Has been making pro plays but mostly out of the shot gun. Rocket launcher for an arm and puts good touch on the right throws. Some tendency to force throws and needs to work on mechanics and footwork. Nothing drastic thou. He can be a Farve or Cutler type QB, is not a runner.
    If you listen to Mayock talk about him, he has serious issues locking onto guys and throwing late. There are a bunch of guys this year who look great throwing in drills, but show their warts when thrown into live action.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you listen to Mayock talk about him, he has serious issues locking onto guys and throwing late. There are a bunch of guys this year who look great throwing in drills, but show their warts when thrown into live action.
    There will always be negatives about any guy. Yes as I said he forces throws at times. He isn't a dead lock QB if no one gets open he locks and throws late. He actually has good field vision in his games. Most of his issues are when no one is open and he is forced out of the pocket. A quick step QB coach like Mornhinweg or Reid could be a very good influence on him actually.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mayock may be right, but I'm starting to like him less and less as an analyst. He never admits he was wrong in draft situations and makes himself out to be like Kiper or McShay. For example, during the Houston-Cincy playoff game he was working he proceeds to sh!t on rookie UFA Burfict's college career (he had a fall from grace -- mocked in top 10 to undrafted). He just kept running his mouth on what he did not like about Burfict as a player while he was playing his best football of the season AS A PROFESSIONAL in the playoffs. Sometimes you just gotta admit defeat; he seems to be too big for his britches for that

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    It would be just like drafting Sanchez again. This is a weak QB draft year, just like the year we traded up to pick Sanchez. Better off waiting til next year's draft.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSuzy View Post
    It would be just like drafting Sanchez again. This is a weak QB draft year, just like the year we traded up to pick Sanchez. Better off waiting til next year's draft.
    MANUEL this YR and BOYD next yr. BOTH R FROM TIDEWATER VA. Home of me.. 1 will play 4 jets I HOPE!!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

I'd be willing to take a chance on him. Like you said, he's a pocket passer that shows very good accuracy on short throws, but has the arm to really air out the deep ball too. Negatives he is a bit of a statue in the pocket and eats too many sacks, hesitant to take off and run, and sometimes footwork gets bad when he is flustered in the pocket.

Jets have to strongly consider him at #9 if available, but with Chiefs, Cards, and Bills are in great need of QB, hard to see him falling to #9 even if guys like Kiper don't rate him as top 10 on their big boards.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not a fan of Geno at #9 just because I'm not a fan in general. His second half of the season was mediocre at times compared to the Heisman hype of the first.

His decision making scares me and he seems flustered very easily. He has tools no doubt but so did Mark. The game in the snow against Syracuse in the Pinstripe Bowl was enough to convince me no on this guy. He was just wholly unable to figure out that defense or adjust to adversity. He got TWO safeties in one game...that's ridiculous.