Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Don't kid yourself....Defense STILL wins championships!!!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    The only thing you know with Rex is that you will whine in every friggen thread about Rex.

Saying defense wins didn't require an idiotic rehash of what you believe happened in those losses. Oh wait, simpleton approach, Rex blew it.

You are a one trick pony who doesn't know when to STFU.
    You're the one trick pony who belittled every decent Jets fan who told you the Jets weren't going to be a good team this year. Remember last summer? We all still do.

Rehashing old AFC Championship Game losses doesn't even matter anymore, that's what's ridiculous here. Because since those games Rex Ryan has allowed the talent level on this team to slowly erode and now he's blown up the coaching staff too.

This is the PERFECT time to discuss Rex Ryan's shortfalls, because he has singlehandedly just sent us back to the dark ages. You want to discuss his successes? You want to talk about "defense wins championships"? Listen to your own genius of a head coach now as he does a turnabout.

He wants a "attack-style offense". He was too focused on ball control and defense. Guess you're the only one that didn't get the memo. Not a surprise.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's no point.

Only a complete fool would see a team win 2 out of 3 playoff games, back to back seasons, all as huge underdogs on the road and try to blame the coach for losing the 3rd game.

And try to say he blew it.
    That argument doesn't matter anymore. Hey, just for fun, I'll agree with you, I'll say you're 100% right.

We have such a bigger, deeper problem right now that it makes the AFCCG blowouts look like childsplay:

While the Patriots and Ravens and Colts and Texans and Bengals were all fine-tuning their '09 and '10 playoff teams, Rex Ryan destroyed his. First he said bye-bye to all the good veterans. Then he drafted trash. Then he didn't groom a single one of them into a great player. Now all of our coordinators and position coaches are gone as the cherry on that slice of failcake. All these other teams that we either defeated or were the peer of maintained their levels or increased them.

That's the problem. Rex Ryan caused it. You can't hide that truth behind the vail of playoff wins from 4 years ago.

Defense may win Championships. You may be right. Pity we'll never find out.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    You're the one trick pony who belittled every decent Jets fan who told you the Jets weren't going to be a good team this year. Remember last summer? We all still do.

Rehashing old AFC Championship Game losses doesn't even matter anymore, that's what's ridiculous here. Because since those games Rex Ryan has allowed the talent level on this team to slowly erode and now he's blown up the coaching staff too.

This is the PERFECT time to discuss Rex Ryan's shortfalls, because he has singlehandedly just sent us back to the dark ages. You want to discuss his successes? You want to talk about "defense wins championships"? Listen to your own genius of a head coach now as he does a turnabout.

He wants a "attack-style offense". He was too focused on ball control and defense. Guess you're the only one that didn't get the memo. Not a surprise.

SAR I

You just can't shut up, no matter how many people tell you to shut up.

You are obsessed with Rex Ryan, see him in your dreams.

I dont even think you know what you're talking about. Your analysis of the game of football is like listening to my children. You're plain clueless and just want a new coach because thats what your Yankees did every two minutes.

BTW only a moron deduces that if you want an attack offense you've abandoned defense or are trying to win on the back of the offense and ignoring your D. Actually he said he wanted an attack offense to match the D. But hey, you and the morons like your new hero Francessa make it up as you go along. Now both of you are blaming a HC for the loss of talent? You mean the responsibility of the GM? Too funny, you just quote Mike all day long, what a tool.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sexy Rexy View Post
    SAR...if all you're going to do is complain about Rex, who do you feel the Jets HC should be? *Question that will never be answered.*

As for the thread, balance wins championships. The only two recent examples that defy this are the 2000 Ravens and maybe the 1999 Rams. All the other teams had playmakers on both sides of the ball.
    Again with that question? While that may have had some validity a month ago, the question now is: Does it really matter?

We just hired a no-name GM. We just hired a crazy offensive coordinator. We just hired a questionable quarterback coach. No one on this board could have predicted any of those guys, what the hell difference does it make who our next head coach is?

Jon Gruden. Happy? There's a name, a name of someone who wouldn't take this job if we offered him $1 billion dollars. Andy Reid. Oops, too late. Bill Cowher? LOLZ. There are high school coaches that would turn down this job now. Names don't matter.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    You just can't shut up, no matter how many people tell you to shut up.

You are obsessed with Rex Ryan, see him in your dreams.

I dont even think you know what you're talking about. Your analysis of the game of football is like listening to my children. You're plain clueless and just want a new coach because thats what your Yankees did every two minutes.

BTW only a moron deduces that if you want an attack offense you've abandoned defense or are trying to win on the back of the offense and ignoring your D. Actually he said he wanted an attack offense to match the D. But hey, you and the morons like your new hero Francessa make it up as you go along. Now both of you are blaming a HC for the loss of talent? You mean the responsibility of the GM? Too funny, you just quote Mike all day long, what a tool.
    I'm not here to shut up; this is a discussion forum and we're here to discuss. Some of us, at least.

Every reporter who has been covering the Jets for the past 30 years has come out publicly stating that Rex Ryan had final say on all players since the day he arrived in New York.

You trying to lecture me on what a moron believes is extremely ironic.

Last summer it was all Blind Homer Cult, this winter it is all Unicorns & Rainbows. You'd think you'd learn. Find the 12 wins you promised us last season yet? Who's fault was that again? I forget.

SAR I

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do not belittle the great wins that Rex Ryan's defense got us in '09 and '10. Cincinnati, San Diego, Indianapolis, and New England were all thrilling victories against all odds and he is to be commended for it.

But it takes 4 wins to get a Lombardi trophy, and both times he came up short. Why? Because, as I said, eventually you run into an offense that is just better than your defense. In successive weeks you can beat Manning and Brady, but eventually you run into a Roethlisberger and that's that.

SAR I
    I'll give you 2009 to Indy, they were simply outmatched and ran out of gas.

2010 to Pitt, this was not the case and I am still nowhere near getting over that game. The defense had gotten off to a really slow start, be it nerves or whatever, but whatever Rex did/said they were able to 100% stop the bleeding, excluding that final short 3rd down conversion. I'm willing to stick with Rex based on what I saw that night...this team who was steamrolling over us all of a sudden couldn't do anything at all.

That D gave up 17 points, which if you remember, was enough to win the game. Marky Buttfumbles fumbled that one away too.

Ugh.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    right. give the jets an offense that can at least average 24 points per game and they'll be in the playoffs each season. give the patsies the same and they're sub 8 wins. that's the real difference. and when the game counted the brady offense tanked. this makes it 4 years in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    Balance wins championships--not just defense or offense.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    you know what? rex deserves the heat for what's happened to the jets while he's been here, god and bad. but relying on the talking heads for information about the inner workings of the jets or any team is foolish. the recent revelation about tebow is case in point. who forced tebow on woody? tannenbaum or rex. tannenbaum is gone. it's plenty clear here. and who as rex drafted besides sanchez that has really tanked? ducasse? ducasse was tannenbaum. wilson? wilson may not be a really good corner but he's also coming around. and the sanchez pick was perfectly justifiable under the circumstances. the problem there is that rex/tannenbaum didn't believe what they were seeing about their offense and a lot of that was schitty.

I'm not here to shut up; this is a discussion forum and we're here to discuss. Some of us, at least.

Every reporter who has been covering the Jets for the past 30 years has come out publicly stating that Rex Ryan had final say on all players since the day he arrived in New York.

Last summer it was all Blind Homer Cult, this winter it is all Unicorns & Rainbows. You'd think you'd learn. Find the 12 wins you promised us last season yet? Who's fault was that again? I forget.

SAR I

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Everyone seems to leave out the fact that the wind took the long ball out of the game and really played into the favor of the Ravens. Believe me, I am glad that the Pats lost but the wind helped that ver old Ravens "D" win that game. If it were in a dome it would have been more "Arena Football", that is just the way the current rules are structured.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by usapaw View Post
    Everyone seems to leave out the fact that the wind took the long ball out of the game and really played into the favor of the Ravens. Believe me, I am glad that the Pats lost but the wind helped that ver old Ravens "D" win that game. If it were in a dome it would have been more "Arena Football", that is just the way the current rules are structured.
    Perhaps, but you can play that game in other games in other years, too. Take the weather away from the Peyton/Brady playoff matchups in Foxboro and are the results the same? Who knows? It also seems that there was more wrong with the Pats on Sunday than just the weather. As TX pointed out yesterday, tackling was a problem. So was secondary coverage. Weather, good and bad, goes with the NFL territory. Always has.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bullitt929 View Post
    Perhaps, but you can play that game in other games in other years, too. Take the weather away from the Peyton/Brady playoff matchups in Foxboro and are the results the same? Who knows? It also seems that there was more wrong with the Pats on Sunday than just the weather. As TX pointed out yesterday, tackling was a problem. So was secondary coverage. Weather, good and bad, goes with the NFL territory. Always has.
    I agree; but it doesn't change the point of the post??? IF the wind was not so severe the game , IMO, would have opened up and Brady would have been more effective. The more balanced team won. That being said, many teams advanced in the playoffs because of their "Arena' offenses, to which the other teams defenses had no answer.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    In big games when teams are really good matchups win championships. In big games when teams are really good big plays win championships. In big games when teams are really good field position wins championships. Etc., etc., etc…

The given to win a championship is you have to be very good in most aspects of the game. The QB is always more important than any position on the field because they are in control of the play and the matchups. Everyone else is reacting if the QB can make the correct read and execute the play.

At the end of the day you better be a very good, balanced team with a QB playing very well to get through 3 or 4 playoff games to win a Championship. Having a QB who is anything less then at the top of his game and his game better be real good is at a decided disadvantage in trying to win a SB.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

SAR I
    There is no irony.

You can't stop whining incessantly that Rex is the cause of all and every loss, bad personnel move, the bad hot dog you ate etc.

We get it, you have a hard on for Rex, let it go and stop ruining every friggen thread. I'm not the one and only person who has said this.

Maybe if you put more thought into posting you know actual football related discussion instead of the same easy mindless rant you wont have the time to come up with goofy, silly inane comments like the Blind Homer Cult and the equally gay Unicorns & Rainbows. As if some stupid name makes you right.

Now please find where I predicted 12 wins. Would love to see that post. You seem to have a problem with the little details. Never happened, sorry. With your track record of making predictions I would think you wouldn't make a big deal about predictions anyway.

That is so lame.
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 01-22-2013 at 08:25 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You've only been a member of the site for a month, so calm yourself down, perhaps you'll learn something other than how to abuse other posters. I have no agenda, just a point of view that differs from yours.

The argument against Rex Ryan's strategy of attempting to build the '85 Bears defense is that a) 25 years of rules changes favor the offense way more than they did back then and b) eventually you run into an offense that is more powerful than your defense and the more powerful offense wins.

I do not belittle the great wins that Rex Ryan's defense got us in '09 and '10. Cincinnati, San Diego, Indianapolis, and New England were all thrilling victories against all odds and he is to be commended for it.

But it takes 4 wins to get a Lombardi trophy, and both times he came up short. Why? Because, as I said, eventually you run into an offense that is just better than your defense. In successive weeks you can beat Manning and Brady, but eventually you run into a Roethlisberger and that's that.

Combine this with the fact that Rex Ryan is trying to channel the 1959 Packers offense and you don't stand a chance to put up the points you need to overtake them.

SAR I
    Oh please. I hate when some old troll on a forum plays the "you haven't been here long enough to earn your stripes" card. I've been here long enough to find your schtick incredibly narcissistic and tedious. The poster is absolutely on point. You have simply defeated yourself at this point.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by usapaw View Post
    I agree; but it doesn't change the point of the post??? IF the wind was not so severe the game , IMO, would have opened up and Brady would have been more effective. The more balanced team won. That being said, many teams advanced in the playoffs because of their "Arena' offenses, to which the other teams defenses had no answer.
    It was a Pats home game. Shouldn't their team be designed and built to win at home?

No one to blame but themselves.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    Balance wins championships--not just defense or offense.
    /thread

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Half time adjustment wins championships

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    2012 NFC Championship game 17 points surrendered in first 16 minutes of play. SF wins
    Because the Defense clamped down and held Atlanta to 7 points the rest of the game . Not to mention the SF Defense came up big stopping an Atlanta Drive to potentially win with less than 90 seconds in the game.

Had they continued to allow Atlanta to run up and down the field in the second half like they did in the first half, the offense would not have been able to catch up.

Dont kid yourself, the SF Defense won that game.

As for the 2011 Championsip Game against Pittsburgh, that loss falls squarely on the Defense. They allowed Pittsburgh to run up and down the field, couldnt make a single tackle and remarkably, even though the Jets had a chance late in the game, couldnt come up with the big stop that great defenses make to give the offense a chance.

Rex's defenses have been great at statistics, but they never made the big stop to save a game. Never.

Thats why Rex is a sham.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    You've only been a member of the site for a month, so calm yourself down, perhaps you'll learn something other than how to abuse other posters. I have no agenda, just a point of view that differs from yours.

The argument against Rex Ryan's strategy of attempting to build the '85 Bears defense is that a) 25 years of rules changes favor the offense way more than they did back then and b) eventually you run into an offense that is more powerful than your defense and the more powerful offense wins.

Combine this with the fact that Rex Ryan is trying to channel the 1959 Packers offense and you don't stand a chance to put up the points you need to overtake them.

SAR I
    Yes I did join this site over a month ago but have been huge Jet fan my whole life..I know when to shut up (unlike you) and when to defend my team from trolls. You certainly do have a clear and obvious agenda you might as well admit it. Everyone sees it.. I have been a regular poster, and ick things up quick.. can already understand your history.. Your love for mark sanchez, who you defended to the core on this site when everyone saw he choked and self destructed into a terrible qb..You blame Rex Ryan for ruining your #1 crush.. You told everyone Rex was getting canned day after the season, now that really pissssed you off when that didnt happen.. So your madness only grew and continued..Even more when NO ONE agrees with you.. Rex Ryan and the Jets did not blow the AFCCG's your boy Sanchez did... He failed both times..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Defense generally wins the Super Bowl itself.

Offense is far more important in the regular season.

I believe every single game in the '12-'13 playoffs was over its over.