Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Don't kid yourself....Defense STILL wins championships!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Don't kid yourself....Defense STILL wins championships!!!

2nd half of both games yesterday

49ers and Ravens = 35 points
    Pasts and Falcons = 0 Points

Defenses in the 2nd half of both games yesterday made all the difference

With Rex, we will always have that

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Those teams also have that thing people talk about sometimes. What's it called? An.....Offense?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    2009 AFC Championship Game 24 points surrendered by Jets defense in final 35 minutes of play.

2010 AFC Championship Game 17 points surrendered in first 16 minutes of play.

Defense may win Championships, but at his very best Rex Ryan blew it in the biggest games of his career.

With Rex, we will always have that. Unfortunately.

SAR I

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    2009 AFC Championship Game 24 points surrendered by Jets defense in final 35 minutes of play.

Defense may win Championships, but at his very best Rex Ryan blew it in the biggest games of his career.

SAR I
    I think you should start looking for another team to root for. I think you'd be much happier.

As for the post, defense is definitely important but you have to offense two....which both Ravens and SF have.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

SAR I
    Don't forget about '08 with the Ravens

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Balance wins championships--not just defense or offense.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JFB View Post
    I think you should start looking for another team to root for. I think you'd be much happier.

As for the post, defense is definitely important but you have to offense two....which both Ravens and SF have.
    I love my team, it's the head coach that needs to go along with fans who enable him.

The 2009 and 2010 New York Jets were constructed to win on a powerful defense. In the two biggest games in franchise history in the last 45 years, Rex Ryan's defense collapsed in the two biggest spots.

That most certainly cannot be forgotten no matter what the Unicorns & Rainbows Coalition tells you.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    Balance wins championships--not just defense or offense.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    2nd half of both games yesterday

49ers and Ravens = 35 points
    Pasts and Falcons = 0 Points

Defenses in the 2nd half of both games yesterday made all the difference

With Rex, we will always have that
    where still on this kick, this continues to be the most rediculous and un-informed argument I hear. Yes while Defences held tight, there is no win without points, both games. first half of the NE game was an all defensive game, it was the Offense that opened up in the second half while the D held.

Ravens Offence does not wake up and NE wins, and you will be saying, Defense wins because NE's D stopped them, it's a circle.

Plain and simple, you need ballance, Defence and offence need to compliment each other in this league.

It will always come down to who can score more points, not how many you can prevent, reason, if you can't prevent just one point and don't score any, guess what, you lose, bottom line end of story. sorry for any spelling issues.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

SAR I
    2012 NFC Championship game 17 points surrendered in first 16 minutes of play. SF wins

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    09 and 10 where great surprises but I had more hope 1998. The moment we started a rookie QB I wasn't expecting much. Sanchez as an unknown gave you some hope for the future but that didn't last long.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love my team, it's the head coach that needs to go along with fans who enable him.

The 2009 and 2010 New York Jets were constructed to win on a powerful defense. In the two biggest games in franchise history in the last 45 years, Rex Ryan's defense collapsed in the two biggest spots.

That most certainly cannot be forgotten no matter what the Unicorns & Rainbows Coalition tells you.

SAR I
    I confess I've totally lost track of what your point could possibly be. It's now coming up on a year since you began bashing Rex Ryan in your posts. During the past 12 months, how many of your thousands of posts have not in some way, directly or indirectly, criticized the head coach? 10%? 5%? Whatever the percentage, it's not very high. Since anyone who follows this board even casually is fully aware of your opinions about Rex Ryan, what is accomplished by your continuing to devote virtually every post to the same subject? Do you believe that you're going to change people's opinions? If so, it doesn't seem that that is happening. You insist that you love the Jets, and I have no reason to doubt that, but that's not the perception that people seem to be drawing. The picture that people seem to be seeing is that of an obsessed, agenda-driven individual who can't seem to string two sentences together without attacking the head coach. Far be it from me to tell people what to say or not say on a sports message board. But I admit I'm confused about your motivation at this point.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    You need to be good enough on defense to win.

This Ravens defense is a shell of their early-to-mid 2000s units. The difference is that they actually have an offense now. If Billick had a QB like Flacco he might still be their coach.

And SF is the most balanced team in the NFL. They have a very good offense.

We have an average defense. It is nowhere near good enough to carry a team. And it was never as great as Rex made it out to be. The stats from 2009 are nice but that unit spit the bit in big spots too. We could live with our defense if we had an average offense. Might not be a SB favorite but we would definitely be a playoff team.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    2012 NFC Championship game 17 points surrendered in first 16 minutes of play. SF wins
    This

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    So Offense wins Championships, perfect, couldn't agree more, lets get rid of Rex and move on.

SAR I

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

SAR I
    you really are a annoying troll man.. Your worse than a Non-Jet fan troll..you went back and picked out how was the best way to make your once again troll of an arguement.. I mean your not even picking quarters, 35 minutes? 16 minutes??? you start with 1st part of game, then 2nd part of game.. you dont mention any other of the playoffs games where the D did very well because that doesnt fit into your agenda.. 1st 35 minutes 24 points? well last 25 mins only 6 points.. too bad Sanchez didnt show up in the 2nd half.. couldnt get the O to score a point.. was 17-14 Jets at half.. Now the 2010 AFCCG 1st 16 minutes? ok... You ofcourse dont want to mention the last 44 minutes because Jets D didnt allow a SINGLE point! Not mention Mark sanchez fumbled the ball and Pitt returned it for a TD. We lost 24-19, that TD mark gave up was big.. he couldnt get the O to score more than 3 points in the 1st half, he lost the game...He failed terribly in both AFCCG. your a joke..

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

SAR I
    The only thing you know with Rex is that you will whine in every friggen thread about Rex.

Saying defense wins didn't require an idiotic rehash of what you believe happened in those losses. Oh wait, simpleton approach, Rex blew it.

You are a one trick pony who doesn't know when to STFU.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    There's no point.

Only a complete fool would see a team win 2 out of 3 playoff games, back to back seasons, all as huge underdogs on the road and try to blame the coach for losing the 3rd game.

And try to say he blew it.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    So Offense wins Championships, perfect, couldn't agree more, lets get rid of Rex and move on.

SAR I
    SAR...if all you're going to do is complain about Rex, who do you feel the Jets HC should be? *Question that will never be answered.*

As for the thread, balance wins championships. The only two recent examples that defy this are the 2000 Ravens and maybe the 1999 Rams. All the other teams had playmakers on both sides of the ball.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    you really are a annoying troll man.. Your worse than a Non-Jet fan troll..you went back and picked out how was the best way to make your once again troll of an arguement.. I mean your not even picking quarters, 35 minutes? 16 minutes??? you start with 1st part of game, then 2nd part of game.. you dont mention any other of the playoffs games where the D did very well because that doesnt fit into your agenda.. 1st 35 minutes 24 points? well last 25 mins only 6 points.. too bad Sanchez didnt show up in the 2nd half.. couldnt get the O to score a point.. was 17-14 Jets at half.. Now the 2010 AFCCG 1st 16 minutes? ok... You ofcourse dont want to mention the last 44 minutes because Jets D didnt allow a SINGLE point! Not mention Mark sanchez fumbled the ball and Pitt returned it for a TD. We lost 24-19, that TD mark gave up was big.. he couldnt get the O to score more than 3 points in the 1st half, he lost the game...He failed terribly in both AFCCG. your a joke..
    You've only been a member of the site for a month, so calm yourself down, perhaps you'll learn something other than how to abuse other posters. I have no agenda, just a point of view that differs from yours.

The argument against Rex Ryan's strategy of attempting to build the '85 Bears defense is that a) 25 years of rules changes favor the offense way more than they did back then and b) eventually you run into an offense that is more powerful than your defense and the more powerful offense wins.

I do not belittle the great wins that Rex Ryan's defense got us in '09 and '10. Cincinnati, San Diego, Indianapolis, and New England were all thrilling victories against all odds and he is to be commended for it.

But it takes 4 wins to get a Lombardi trophy, and both times he came up short. Why? Because, as I said, eventually you run into an offense that is just better than your defense. In successive weeks you can beat Manning and Brady, but eventually you run into a Roethlisberger and that's that.

Combine this with the fact that Rex Ryan is trying to channel the 1959 Packers offense and you don't stand a chance to put up the points you need to overtake them.

SAR I