Thread: The Following

All League

The Following

Anyone see The Following tonight on Fox with Kevin Bacon? New series, it's about an escaped serial killer, sort of.

Disturbingly good. Really comes together in the last 10 minutes.

Jets Insider VIP
    DVR'd. Trying to get the wife through Game of Thrones season 2 before watching it.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    DVR'd. Trying to get the wife through Game of Thrones season 2 before watching it.
    You've got time. I don't think Game of Thrones starts back up until March.

I watched it. Found it to be a bit cliché (especially Kevin Bacon's "damaged/alcoholic" FBI agent, the "tough-talking" cute girlcop (sic), and "techieguy" (sic) characters), borrowing extensively from "Silence of the Lambs".

Overall, I'd give it a 6/10. Mainly because, as you say, the final 20 minutes or so saves the rest of this pilot episode. I'll check it out next week to see the development. Then decide whether it's worth repeat visits.

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    I watched it. Found it to be a bit cliché (especially Kevin Bacon's "damaged/alcoholic" FBI agent, the "tough-talking" cute girlcop (sic), and "techieguy" (sic) characters), borrowing extensively from "Silence of the Lambs".

Overall, I'd give it a 6/10. Mainly because, as you say, the final 20 minutes or so saves the rest of this pilot episode. I'll check it out next week to see the development. Then decide whether it's worth repeat visits.
    Same feelings here. Very "cookie-cutter" characters.

Hard to feel as if this is going to be a very original series.

Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    Same feelings here. Very "cookie-cutter" characters.

Hard to feel as if this is going to be a very original series.
    Exactly why my wife and I tuned in last night. The commercials for the series are great.

It was so trite in spots that I kept waiting for someone to bring up "Hannibal Lecter" or mention "Clarice Starling".

All League
    Spoiler Alert-

At first I thought it was going to be yet another run around, trying to catch a bad guy week to week show, then they got him in the last 15. Now his minions are doing the dirty work with a kidnapped kid. Not an original idea?

And I think maybe they made it overly cookie cutter (alcoholic/washed up, hotcop, hot love interest), because at the end he explains the story needs the washed up hero, the sultry love story, etc. I think it played together decently.

Im also an Edgar Allan Poe fan.

"Let's take Silence of the Lambs and instead of Lecter lets make it Charlie Manson!"

Game of Thrones is spectacular. This show is disappointing. Meanwhile Last Resort got cancelled even though the idiot network execs had it stuck in an absolutely awful time slot .

Such a shame, that show was looking great.

All League

My review: "Meh."

I agree; cliche, but what else can you expect from a network show that need to lead the majority of their audience around by the hand.

SPOILER!

the guy's an expert on this killer and his motivations, but it takes him a good amount of time to figure out what "nevermore" means?! C'mon.

Agreed. While I enjoyed the show it was very cliched and a little ridiculous.

The whole idea that a serial killer on death row would ever escape from prison and get away with the things he did in that first episode (leaving out due to others that may not have saw it)

I realize it's a show, to my early statement...I enjoyed it and will continue to watch...

Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    "Let's take Silence of the Lambs and instead of Lecter lets make it Charlie Manson!"

Game of Thrones is spectacular. This show is disappointing. Meanwhile Last Resort got cancelled even though the idiot network execs had it stuck in an absolutely awful time slot .

Such a shame, that show was looking great.
    Exactly how I feel about NBC bringing back one of my favorites, "Community", head-to-head against "The Big bang Theory", which had it's biggest ratings (19.8 million viewers) ever two weeks ago. Dead in the water with no more shots of Alison Brie.

Quote Originally Posted by stanner View Post
    My review: "Meh."

I agree; cliche, but what else can you expect from a network show that need to lead the majority of their audience around by the hand.

SPOILER!

the guy's an expert on this killer and his motivations, but it takes him a good amount of time to figure out what "nevermore" means?! C'mon.
    LOL. What I told my wife last night. That's bad writing or you think members of your audience are all dopes.

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    Agreed. While I enjoyed the show it was very cliched and a little ridiculous.

The whole idea that a serial killer on death row would ever escape from prison and get away with the things he did in that first episode (leaving out due to others that may not have saw it)

I realize it's a show, to my early statement...I enjoyed it and will continue to watch...
    Even with the help of (unnamed for spoiler), no way this is possible, especially for such an infamous serial killer. It looked like he was locked up in some tiny facility with five guards on duty.