Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The one player the Jets really need to keep is Landry!

The one player the Jets really need to keep is Landry!

The championship game alone should be enough to convince the Jets how badly they need a head rocking safety like LAron Landry. Pollard might have won the game for the Ravens. Brady was afraid of him. Several times Brady could of ran for first downs but he chose to fall and crumble or simply throw it away or stick his foot up so he wouldnt get rattled. Brady was afraid. Afraid of a hard hitting safety. Landry is the Jets hard hitting safety - resign the beast!

I do agree with you here. Still I don't think it will be the case. Landry is going to be looking for big time $$. It may work out anyway. I really think the odds of him playing two straight 16 games seasons are slim given his history.

All Pro
    Man I really hope we can resign Landry! The Pats wanted no part of the Ravens after Pollard put Ridley to sleep. Landry is a guy who can put the same kind of fear into an opponent.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    Man I really hope we can resign Landry! The Pats wanted no part of the Ravens after Pollard put Ridley to sleep. Landry is a guy who can put the same kind of fear into an opponent.
    Bills RB Fred Jackson agree's..

I agree, but only at the right price. We cant ignore his history of injuries. We cant afford to overpay a Safety with all of our holes and cap problems

Hall Of Fame
    Landry is a luxury that the Jets might not be able to afford. With Cromartie, Revis and Landry, that is a lot of money allocated to the cap for one unit. You can get Landry in for 2013 at a reasonable number because of the signing bonus, but keeping all 3 will be costly over the next few years.

And the Landry bill to resign him is going to be difficult to pay.

But I agree...Landry allows the secondary and the in box defense to be solidified by his presence on the field.

Hope Idzik can get it done.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    I agree, but only at the right price. We cant ignore his history of injuries. We cant afford to overpay a Safety with all of our holes and cap problems
    He wouldn't agree like he did last year to have the contract based on the number of games he plays in..

This is my big fear, Rex Ryan saying the same thing to Idzik over and over. Landry played very well last year but is a bit older and has injury worries. The Jets are in cap difficulties as it is. Landry is not going to take a discount.

Would like to retain the player but in no way would I do so if it doesn't fit the longer term plan.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    This is my big fear, Rex Ryan saying the same thing to Idzik over and over. Landry played very well last year but is a bit older and has injury worries. The Jets are in cap difficulties as it is. Landry is not going to take a discount.

Would like to retain the player but in no way would I do so if it doesn't fit the longer term plan.
    I dont think the long term plan includes all 3 (Landry, Cro, Revis). Most likely the Jets will have to choose 2 of the 3.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

He is my fav current player ... Don't see it being the best move for our long term plans though :-(

Ljr

I too would love to have Landry back, but i do not see any way that we can afford him. Some team will make this guy a big offer that we can not due to all the othe more pressing issues this team has. Add up the cost for Revis, Cro, and now what it will cost for Landry. I think Landry returning is slim at best.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I dont think the long term plan includes all 3 (Landry, Cro, Revis). Most likely the Jets will have to choose 2 of the 3.
    This is very true......

I just hope it ends up being Landry and one of the Corners. (Preferably Cro if Revis ends up asking for astronomical money)

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Jason did a good piece on Landry. His conclusion was that he is not quite as valuable - based on the available stats - as you might think. Of course, stats only tells a part of his game. Theres a lot to be said about the fearsome hits he puts on guys. I'm sure there are times when alligator arms develop for fear of getting popped by him.

Bottom line, if someone is willing to break the bank, he's gone. I would make an effort to sign him, but not at the risk of blowing the bank. He's a luxury that we may not be able to afford.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Jason did a good piece on Landry. His conclusion was that he is not quite as valuable - based on the available stats - as you might think. Of course, stats only tells a part of his game. Theres a lot to be said about the fearsome hits he puts on guys. I'm sure there are times when alligator arms develop for fear of getting popped by him.

Bottom line, if someone is willing to break the bank, he's gone. I would make an effort to sign him, but not at the risk of blowing the bank. He's a luxury that we may not be able to afford.
    He's not. Fans love the big hit and Landry delivers. But he's nowhere near as valuable as Cro or Revis.

All Pro
    If we can't keep him, I sure hope there's a solid commitment to address the safety position via FA and especially the draft ... find our own young guys who can fill the position down the line rather than overpaying for the short term.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    The championship game alone should be enough to convince the Jets how badly they need a head rocking safety like LAron Landry. Pollard might have won the game for the Ravens. Brady was afraid of him. Several times Brady could of ran for first downs but he chose to fall and crumble or simply throw it away or stick his foot up so he wouldnt get rattled. Brady was afraid. Afraid of a hard hitting safety. Landry is the Jets hard hitting safety - resign the beast!
    I agree.

With Bart Scott out of the way, Landry becomes the badass outspoken leader of the defense, something we sorely need.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    I agree.

With Bart Scott out of the way, Landry becomes the badass outspoken leader of the defense, something we sorely need.

SAR I
    What they sorely need is a Qb, and about 3 other players on O.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    What they sorely need is a Qb, and about 3 other players on O.
    My understanding is that there aren't any good QB's worth drafting this year and the non-virginal pricey guy on our roster is worth another look.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    My understanding is that there aren't any good QB's worth drafting this year and the non-virginal pricey guy on our roster is worth another look.

SAR I
    That's the smart play for this year, actually the only one.