Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jets QB situation: Quarterbacks with connections to Marty Mornhinweg and David Lee

If this new leadership is smart, they won't even worry about QB as a top priority. Go build the trench on the OL, and the LB core on the defensive end. Get a WR. Get the cap in order, and worry about QB next year when you can wipe Sanchez away.

Banned
    Honestly, I'd rather start Tebow than any of those guys. And I'm not even close to being a Tebow fan....

Draft one in 2014. BAP in 2013. Sanchez will be starter. We're not going anywhere anytime soon.

All League
    Was this list designed to make us feel better about our own QB situation?

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Funny, years ago we could have posted a list of loser backup QB types and put Vinny on the list. No one would have made a case for his signing, most laughed when we did.
    Of course the Testaverde acquisition was ridiculed. We had the great Glenn Foley earmarked to be the starter for the next 5 years.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Well as bad as this list is, I bet none of them ever ran into their own guards butt.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Sanchez OR Tebow.
    Fixed...
    Can't see any scenario where they're both still here, makes no sense. And looking strictly at cost, you'd have to think Sanchez remains...

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by jzelada121 View Post
    Was this list designed to make us feel better about our own QB situation?
    I don't think intentionally, but we do have more playoff winners then that entire list

Here's what I do if I'm the Jets:

1. Sign Matt Moore, has links to their new QB coach, Lee. Moore is a FA and will test the waters, not sure why they left him off?? Can do something Sanchez cant, complete 60% of his passes.

2. Draft (round 3 ideally, but may need to grab him in 2)- Dysert from Miami, Ohio accurate, tough, throws well on the run + is said to be very smart.

3. Keep McElroy brains - will help QBs transition to the new offense which just happens to be his own best chance at success as an NFL QB.

4. Cut Sanchez thats right, take the cap hit. He needs a new start, and keeping him around sends mixed messages to the rest of the offense/team.

I think most people here could live with a scenario like above for next year.
    It gives the Jets a more solid vet, another young QB who could develop and be a good fit for a WCO + allows them to still draft a QB in 2014 in rd. 1 if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigFL View Post
    Are any of these guys going to land on the Jets? Who would you like to see in Green?

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...rterbacks.html

The Jets have a new offensive coordinator in Marty Mornhinweg and, reportedly, a new quarterbacks coach in David Lee.

Although it's entirely possible that the Mark Sanchez era extends another year, this brings in a new group of possibilities for quarterbacks that could end up on the roster simply because of familiarity with the two. Both Lee and Mornhinweg have ties to a ton through their years in the league, a lot of whom are available this offseason.

Kevin Kolb
    Current team: Arizona Cardinals
    Contract status: Signed a six-year, $63.5 million contract with the Cardinals in 2011. In 2012 he played in five games, going 3-2 as a starter, before missing the remainder of the season with a rib injury. Although new head coach Bruce Arians said he has no preconceived notions about Kolb, he's owed a lot of money next season -- $11 million -- making him a potential cut.
    2012 Stats: 109-of-183 for 1,169 yards, 8 touchdowns and 3 interceptions.

A. J. Feeley
    Current team: Free agent, last played with the Rams in 2010-11
    Contract status: Free agent
    2012 Stats: : No stats, Feeley will turn 36 before the season starts next year.

Mike Kafka
    Current team: New England Patriots (signed a futures deal in 2013)
    Contract status: Signed a two-year $1.2 million contract. Will be a free agent in 2015.
    2012 Stats: No stats, Kafka was edged off the Eagles roster following a 2012 preseason quarterback battle.

Vince Young
    Current team: Free agent
    Contract status: Young is a 29-year-old former first-round pick who is still hoping to make a comeback. He last played for the Eagles in 2011 and was cut by the Buffalo
    2012 Stats: Young didn't take a snap in 2012 in the regular season.

Michael Vick
    Current team: Philadelphia Eagles
    Contract status: Signed a six-year, $100 million contract in 2011. We'll turn to ESPN's Andrew Brandt to explain 2013 specifically: "Of this, $3 million is guaranteed for injury only. However, once the calendar hits the second day of waivers in 2013 in mid-February the guarantee converts to a full skill guarantee for that year. Vick allowed this for funding purposes, as any amounts guaranteed for skill prior to January 31 have to be funded by the team."
    2012 Stats: 201-of-351 for 2,362 yards, 12 TDs and 10 INT.

Trent Edwards
    Current team: Philadelphia Eagles
    Contract status:: Signed a two-year $1.415 million contract in 2012.
    2012 Stats: Played in one game going 2-of-2 for 14 yards. Was eclipsed by Nick Foles in the preseason for the right to be Vick's backup.

Tarvaris Jackson* (Was a freshman under David Lee at Arkansas in 2001)
    Current team: Buffalo Bills
    2012 Stats: Jackson was third on the Bills' depth chart this season after getting traded from the Seahawks for a seventh-round pick.

*Jackson has connections with new Jets GM John Idzik as well.

John Beck
    Current team: Free agent
    Contract status: Free agent, last played for the Texans in 2012 but was cut by Houston in October.
    2012 Stats: Beck last recorded stats for the Redskins in 2011, going 80-of-132 for 858 yards, 2 touchdowns and 4 interceptions.

Chad Henne*
    Current team: Jacksonville Jaguars
    Contract status: Signed a two-year, $6.75 million contract with the Jaguars in 2012.
    2012 Stats: In nine games, Henne was 141-of-267 for 1,786 yards, 9 touchdowns and 8 interceptions.

* Henne is now playing for a new coach and general manager. Despite filling in admirably for Blaine Gabbert in 2012, his future is definitely up in the air.

Josh McCown
    Current team: Chicago Bears
    2012 Stats: McCown, who will turn 34 before next season, last recorded stats for the Bears in 2011, going 35-of-55 for 414 yards, 2 touchdowns and 4 interceptions.

Tyler Thigpen
    Current team: Buffalo Bills
    2012 Stats: Thigpen was 3-of-5 for 30 yards this year for the Bills. His last significant stats came in 2010 with the Dolphins.
    That was an old school JI styled post from the past. Nice article. Good homework done.

It's so far from being a sexy list of quarterbacks. Of this group, You could do worse than Kolb, Jackson or even Young as backup quarterbacks but I don't see any of those three players as being the "answer" at the position.

To me, it looks like there will be a veteran brought in to compete with Sanchez and a young QB drafted for the future.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonM View Post
    That was an old school JI styled post from the past. Nice article. Good homework done.

It's so far from being a sexy list of quarterbacks. Of this group, You could do worse than Kolb, Jackson or even Young as backup quarterbacks but I don't see any of those three players as being the "answer" at the position.

To me, it looks like there will be a veteran brought in to compete with Sanchez and a young QB drafted for the future.

Hall Of Fame
    That list was god awful. Realistically I can see going into next season with a combo of Sanchez, Matt Moore, and a rookie.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    Of course the Testaverde acquisition was ridiculed. We had the great Glenn Foley earmarked to be the starter for the next 5 years.
    Only 5?

I would rather have Sanchez than any of those guys!!

I know people will disagree with me but I thought the bills gave up on Trent Edwards a little too early. I think he could be a good vet backup to Sanchez and then we could draft someone too.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by persiussa View Post
    I know people will disagree with me but I thought the bills gave up on Trent Edwards a little too early. I think he could be a good vet backup to Sanchez and then we could draft someone too.
    I think he also had an issue with concussions.

Jets Insider VIP
    Trent Edwards is the worst of the bunch. Hes awful.

Matt Moore is the best bet if we want to be competitive next year.

There are 0 plans to have mark sanchez take a snap from center next year. You can bet on that.

Half of this list is as bad as Tebow; the other half is better than Tebow but equal to Sanchez.