Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jets QB situation: Quarterbacks with connections to Marty Mornhinweg and David Lee

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets QB situation: Quarterbacks with connections to Marty Mornhinweg and David Lee

Are any of these guys going to land on the Jets? Who would you like to see in Green?

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...rterbacks.html

The Jets have a new offensive coordinator in Marty Mornhinweg and, reportedly, a new quarterbacks coach in David Lee.

Although it's entirely possible that the Mark Sanchez era extends another year, this brings in a new group of possibilities for quarterbacks that could end up on the roster simply because of familiarity with the two. Both Lee and Mornhinweg have ties to a ton through their years in the league, a lot of whom are available this offseason.

Kevin Kolb
    Current team: Arizona Cardinals
    Contract status: Signed a six-year, $63.5 million contract with the Cardinals in 2011. In 2012 he played in five games, going 3-2 as a starter, before missing the remainder of the season with a rib injury. Although new head coach Bruce Arians said he has no preconceived notions about Kolb, he's owed a lot of money next season -- $11 million -- making him a potential cut.
    2012 Stats: 109-of-183 for 1,169 yards, 8 touchdowns and 3 interceptions.

A. J. Feeley
    Current team: Free agent, last played with the Rams in 2010-11
    Contract status: Free agent
    2012 Stats: : No stats, Feeley will turn 36 before the season starts next year.

Mike Kafka
    Current team: New England Patriots (signed a futures deal in 2013)
    Contract status: Signed a two-year $1.2 million contract. Will be a free agent in 2015.
    2012 Stats: No stats, Kafka was edged off the Eagles roster following a 2012 preseason quarterback battle.

Vince Young
    Current team: Free agent
    Contract status: Young is a 29-year-old former first-round pick who is still hoping to make a comeback. He last played for the Eagles in 2011 and was cut by the Buffalo
    2012 Stats: Young didn't take a snap in 2012 in the regular season.

Michael Vick
    Current team: Philadelphia Eagles
    Contract status: Signed a six-year, $100 million contract in 2011. We'll turn to ESPN's Andrew Brandt to explain 2013 specifically: "Of this, $3 million is guaranteed for injury only. However, once the calendar hits the second day of waivers in 2013 Ė in mid-February Ė the guarantee converts to a full skill guarantee for that year. Vick allowed this for funding purposes, as any amounts guaranteed for skill prior to January 31 have to be funded by the team."
    2012 Stats: 201-of-351 for 2,362 yards, 12 TDs and 10 INT.

Trent Edwards
    Current team: Philadelphia Eagles
    Contract status:: Signed a two-year $1.415 million contract in 2012.
    2012 Stats: Played in one game going 2-of-2 for 14 yards. Was eclipsed by Nick Foles in the preseason for the right to be Vick's backup.

Tarvaris Jackson* (Was a freshman under David Lee at Arkansas in 2001)
    Current team: Buffalo Bills
    2012 Stats: Jackson was third on the Bills' depth chart this season after getting traded from the Seahawks for a seventh-round pick.

*Jackson has connections with new Jets GM John Idzik as well.

John Beck
    Current team: Free agent
    Contract status: Free agent, last played for the Texans in 2012 but was cut by Houston in October.
    2012 Stats: Beck last recorded stats for the Redskins in 2011, going 80-of-132 for 858 yards, 2 touchdowns and 4 interceptions.

Chad Henne*
    Current team: Jacksonville Jaguars
    Contract status: Signed a two-year, $6.75 million contract with the Jaguars in 2012.
    2012 Stats: In nine games, Henne was 141-of-267 for 1,786 yards, 9 touchdowns and 8 interceptions.

* Henne is now playing for a new coach and general manager. Despite filling in admirably for Blaine Gabbert in 2012, his future is definitely up in the air.

Josh McCown
    Current team: Chicago Bears
    2012 Stats: McCown, who will turn 34 before next season, last recorded stats for the Bears in 2011, going 35-of-55 for 414 yards, 2 touchdowns and 4 interceptions.

Tyler Thigpen
    Current team: Buffalo Bills
    2012 Stats: Thigpen was 3-of-5 for 30 yards this year for the Bills. His last significant stats came in 2010 with the Dolphins.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    None of the above

All retreads that aren't much better than the garbage we already have

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is a vile list.

Not a single quality player on it....barely even legitimate backups.

I really hope we address QB in the 1st (if we trade back only) or 2nd round of this draft.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Icer View Post
    None of the above

All retreads that aren't much better than the garbage we already have
    We don't have a whole lot of options.

Drafting might be the only legit option and even so it's unlikely we'll find someone that's going to start week 1.

So who is the Jets opening day starter?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    That Kevin Kolb contract is ridiculous. I wonder how much cap space they have to eat if they cut him?

I've always liked Tyler Thigpen. Never felt he ever got a fair shot.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Funny, years ago we could have posted a list of loser backup QB types and put Vinny on the list. No one would have made a case for his signing, most laughed when we did.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought Kafka wasn't bad, but I don't see him as a massive upgrade over McElroy.

Everybody else is not appealing in the slightest.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    * Henne is now playing for a new coach and general manager. Despite filling in admirably for Blaine Gabbert in 2012, his future is definitely up in the air.
    Weren't his stats very Sanchez like?

Not seeing where and how he filled in admirably.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Holy cow! Whatever QB these guys touch seems to turn to sh!t.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Funny, years ago we could have posted a list of loser backup QB types and put Vinny on the list. No one would have made a case for his signing, most laughed when we did.
    This isnt true. Vinny threw for over 4,000 yards and 30 tds in a season and went to a pro bowl before joining the jets. Sorry, I do not see 4,000 yard 30 td guys on that list.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    I thought Kafka wasn't bad, but I don't see him as a massive upgrade over McElroy.

That is what I keep thinking. There is nothing out there, that is worth taking IMO in free agents. I think we need to draft a QB this year, not necessarily in the 1st round if the player is not worthy. Someone we can devolpe. If the brass feels that guy is just not there this year. Wait till next year. In the mean time why not just go with McKeroy this year? I know he may not be the answer long term. At least we drafted him, why not just see if he can play even a little? Perhaps mistake free football, and good defence will at least keep us from being emberrsesed on a weekly basis.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    This isnt true. Vinny threw for over 4,000 yards and 30 tds in a season and went to a pro bowl before joining the jets. Sorry, I do not see 4,000 yard 30 td guys on that list.
    Vinny had 33 tds for the Ravens in 1996.. He also had 35 picks when he played for Tampa..

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. None of the above

2. These are not the ONLY QB's abailable. Only ones with some tenuous or overt connection to our new O-Co and QB Coach.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    We don't have a whole lot of options.

Drafting might be the only legit option and even so it's unlikely we'll find someone that's going to start week 1.

So who is the Jets opening day starter?
    Sanchez...lets face it...this is most likely going to happen. $12.8 mil sitting on the bench...while ??? plays the position.

Jets have to bring some other vet into the current mix of QBs. And should draft a QB somewhere within the 2nd - 3rd round. I can't see using the #9 pick for any of the top 3 QBs in this draft. So I too hope they trade down significantly, as I've suggested in my post in the Draft forum. And acquire several extra picks. That can make it easier to target a QB somewhere in rounds 1-3.

http://www.draftinsider.net/forum/sh...Upcoming-Draft

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post

Kafka might be interesting, but face it, the pats would try to rape us if we wanted him. Kolb too expensive for what he has shown. I don't like it, but I could see T Jackson ending up here in a B smith sort of role with a wildcat/BU QB situation. He did throw for 3000+yds at 60%+ completion rate in 2011, is somewhat mobile, and probably cheap.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post
    Sanchez...lets face it...this is most likely going to happen. $12.8 mil sitting on the bench...while ??? plays the position.

Jets have to bring some other vet into the current mix of QBs. And should draft a QB somewhere within the 2nd - 3rd round. I can't see using the #9 pick for any of the top 3 QBs in this draft. So I too hope they trade down significantly, as I've suggested in my post in the Draft forum. And acquire several extra picks. That can make it easier to target a QB somewhere in rounds 1-3.

Agree, Sanchez is once again the guy right now.
    Itís actually why they hired the OC they did.
    No doubt, he said he has an offense that Sanchez could thrive in.
    I know that itís painful for many here, but itís what I truly believe transpired.

The whole pistol BS, is just thatÖ maybe the Jets seek a QB who fits that scheme, but thatís not a long term solution to the QB position.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree largely and a trade down would be awesome. We need pick in the '14 draft, this year's draft sucks up top.

I like Nassib in the 2nd or 3rd round. Glennon is going to be a reach for whoever takes him since it appears he is developmentally similar to Osweiler last year (maybe a bit more polished) but will be the second QB taken after Geno Smith.

Outside of this, the team should roll with Tebow, McElroy or a signee like Jason Campbell simply because the ownership and new GM have to understand that nobody wants to pay money to watch Mark Sanchez throw a football anymore in a Jets jersey.

If you can't complete 6/10 passes then you aren't an NFL QB. Unless you are Tebow. Because Tebow is as Tebow does. And lol anyway, this team is going to stink next year regardless. The only satisfaction I will draw be when the 3-13 campaign ends and I NEVER have to see Mark Sanchez in a Jets jersey again and Rex Ryan is back being a defensive coordinator for somebody like he is qualified to be.
    Last edited by PMarsico9; 01-22-2013 at 12:02 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think any of us can say for sure where the QB's will be taken until after the Combine.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez and Tebow.