Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tim Brown suggests "sabotage" by Bill Callahan in SB37

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Tim Brown suggests "sabotage" by Bill Callahan in SB37

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...er-bowl-xxxvi/
    “We get our game plan for victory on Monday, and the game plan says we’re gonna run the ball,” Brown said Saturday on SiriusXM NFL Radio, which provided us with the audio. “We averaged 340 [pounds] on the offensive line, they averaged 280 [on the defensive line]. We’re all happy with that, everybody is excited. [We] tell Charlie Garner, ‘Look, you’re not gonna get too many carries, but at the end of the day we’re gonna get a victory. Tyrone Wheatley, Zack Crockett, let’s get ready to blow this thing up.’”

According to Brown, coach Bill Callahan then “blew this thing up” on the Friday before the Super Bowl, changing the game plan from a run-heavy attack to an intent to “throw the ball 60 times.”

“We all called it sabotage . . . because Callahan and [Tampa Bay coach Jon] Gruden were good friends,” Brown said. “And Callahan had a big problem with the Raiders, you know, hated the Raiders. You know, only came because Gruden made him come. Literally walked off the field on us a couple of times during the season when he first got there, the first couple years. So really he had become someone who was part of the staff but we just didn’t pay him any attention. Gruden leaves, he becomes the head coach. . . . It’s hard to say that the guy sabotaged the Super Bowl. You know, can you really say that? That can be my opinion, but I can’t say for a fact that that’s what his plan was, to sabotage the Super Bowl. He hated the Raiders so much that he would sabotage the Super Bowl so his friend can win the Super Bowl. That’s hard to say, because you can’t prove it.

“But the facts are what they are, that less than 36 hours before the game we changed our game plan. And we go into that game absolutely knowing that we have no shot. That the only shot we had if Tampa Bay didn’t show up.”

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    "It's hard to say that the guy sabotaged the Super Bowl" - but I'll do it anyway. I hope this is the reason he never makes the HoF.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    "It's hard to say that the guy sabotaged the Super Bowl" - but I'll do it anyway. I hope this is the reason he never makes the HoF.
    Tim Brown is an ass hat. There is no way a Head Coach in a Super Bowl is going to throw the game.

Maybe in 1919 when guys were making nothing.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cornjulio21 View Post
    Tim Brown is an ass hat. There is no way a Head Coach in a Super Bowl is going to throw the game.

Maybe in 1919 when guys were making nothing.
    Tim Brown just looking for attention , making strange comments like this. Barrett Robbins their all pro center going AWOL was the reason they had to change the gameplan. That a big loss to absorb and unfortunately the gameplan had to change. ( Adam Treu was no where close the center that Barrett Robbins was)Barrett Robbins was the reason Raiders lost the Super Bowl and not Bill Callahan. Zach Crockett said as much in an interview after Tim Brown's comments.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Callahan should take a dump in a box and mail it to Timmy

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    Tim Brown just looking for attention , making strange comments like this. Barrett Robbins their all pro center going AWOL was the reason they had to change the gameplan. That a big loss to absorb and unfortunately the gameplan had to change. ( Adam Treu was no where close the center that Barrett Robbins was)Barrett Robbins was the reason Raiders lost the Super Bowl and not Bill Callahan. Zach Crockett said as much in an interview after Tim Brown's comments.
    Actually, Tampa Bay being a better team than the Raiders was the reason the Raiders lost the super bowl.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    speaking of ol Willy Callahan, on rotoworld per Cal Watkins on twitter:

Cowboys OC Bill Callahan will call the offensive plays in 2013, not head coach Jason Garrett.

Garrett has been calling plays in Dallas since being named offensive coordinator in 2007 all the way through 2012 as head coach. Callahan, the Cowboys' OC and offensive line coach, will now handle the role while Garrett simply focuses on being a head coach. Jerry Jones seemed intent on stripping Garrett of the duties, so he finally did so. The Cowboys were No. 6 in total offense in 2012. This move will just make it easier for Jones to fire Garrett in-season if he so chooses. Hue Jackson and Mike Tice were also mentioned as potential candidates for the job.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cornjulio21 View Post
    +1

Could be the most asinine statement ever. Callahan definitely did a bad job coaching the game but to say he purposely tanked it is insane.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I read this story this morning, what a bunch of nonsensical drivel. And to insinuate Barrett Robbins disappeared for this reason....geez.

To think we had to endure an entire stoppage of a game so they could wheel out his entire family on a golf cart when he caught 1000 passes.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jerry Rice was supposed to add to this at 4pm today. Anybody know what he said?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    The craziest part of this is that he seems to think they would have been better off giving Wheatley and Crockett (400 regular season rushing yards between them that season) touches than giving Charlie Garner (1800 total yards) the ball...

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    he must feel snubbed

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hear he gave Barret Robbins tickets les miserables. I think that may have something to to with him changing his game plan last minute.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post
    Rice said Callahan's game-plan shift "without a doubt" led to center Barret Robbins leaving the Raiders the day before the Super Bowl. Rice said he and Brown "never had the opportunity" to confront Callahan about the possibility he had thrown the game. All three men were on the Raiders in 2003, the season after the Super Bowl loss.

Really Jerry? Never had the opportunity to confront him? Despite being on the team with him as head coach the next season?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rice wouldn't mess around he's a serious dude. This makes sense since Barrett Robbins was the same guy who had all those problems off-the field the days before the Super Bowl - must have had a meltdown seeing as he'd end up being the scapegoat for losing the Super Bowl.

Bill Callahan must have made some connected guys in Vegas very happy.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why the jumping on Brown and by extension Rice here...

I dont get it...

No HC changes a game plan for the SB two days before the GAME!!!
    NO ONE!!!

Changing a game plan for a big game like that is unheard of because it takes time for the players to digest the game plan and then to figure out how to execute it.

Callahan had in effect had the team practice that which they were not going to implement in the actual game!!!!

Insanity!!

Now do I think that Callahan "threw the game"..... Hmmmm unlikely.......possible but unlikely....with that said the fact that two players who were starters on Oakland one of whom is a HOF WR believe that Callahan could have thrown the game tell you that the man should never be put in charge of a NFL team ever again!!!

Just wow!!!!!!!!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post

I dont get it...

NO ONE!!!

Changing a game plan for a big game like that is unheard of because it takes time for the players to digest the game plan and then to figure out how to execute it.

Callahan had in effect had the team practice that which they were not going to implement in the actual game!!!!

Insanity!!

Now do I think that Callahan "threw the game"..... Hmmmm unlikely.......possible but unlikely....with that said the fact that two players who were starters on Oakland one of whom is a HOF WR believe that Callahan could have thrown the game tell you that the man should never be put in charge of a NFL team ever again!!!

Just wow!!!!!!!!!
    Up to 3 now with Ritchie. Two against(Gannon and Romanowski).

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did Favre take a dive to give his friend and golf buddy Strahan the sack title?

POSSIBLY.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post

I dont get it...

NO ONE!!!

Insanity!!

Just wow!!!!!!!!!
    Maybe the three defensive penalties on TB 17 play drive to put them up 17 to 3 had something to do with the need to chuck the ball more?