Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pats fans taunt Torrey Smith about dead brother

First decent post you made since Tebow arrived

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    I read that to mean he received MORE such tweets from Pats fans than from others (but still received them from others). But bottom line is one such tweet is too many.
    LOL...OK fine. So the Patriots just have many more of these douche bag fans than other teams do.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Funny that ONLY Pats fans have taunted Smith about his brother this season.
    And some Jets fans threatened to kill Sanchez at one point this season. Every fanbase has its share of knuckleheads.

Quote Originally Posted by aagarcia View Post
    Pats fans and those in that region in and of itself are Neanderthals. Real scumbags. And it's the opposite you're always going to find some nice folk among them not the other way around. You should start the sentence that way.

*** Even Brady chooses NY and wears his little Yankee cap.
    Right. It's well known that only people who paint entire populations with such a negative broad brush are the crème de la crème of today's society. Congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    Right. It's well known that only people who paint entire populations with such a negative broad brush are the crème de la crème of today's society. Congrats.
    Thank you benevolent troll. And I guess you agree since you spend the majority of your time on a Jets forum. ;-)

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    We have lost our way as humanbeings, our simple humanity, and if we dont right ourseleves soon we will pay a terrible price!!!!

Just horrible.
    No one should be penalized for decking a trash talker, that's the problem. There was a time when one respected their opponent and kept their mouthshut. Not much anymore.

There used to be incidents here and there (remember when Ray Nitschke's dog was killed?), but that by far was the exception and not the rule like today. JMHO

Jets Insider VIP
    Twidiots. Unreal.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Every fan base has lowlifes. The best athletes are the ones that are able to ignore it. By responding to them Smith gave them exactly what they wanted.
    True, but don't blame the victim.... and you are doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    There is no excuse for anyone to taunt Smith about the tragic passing of his brother. That said, where does it say that Pats fans were the ONLY ones to have acted so despicably?
    This shows why NE needs to be hated more then they are. Its ridiculous the way they've acted after the regular season game AND the AFC Championship game

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images

Hey that's trash, I agree.

But it's not worse than physically hitting Santa Claus with Ice Balls and batteries in Philly. That still takes the cake.

It cemented Philly's reputation as the worst fans in all of sports.

Veteran
    >Baaawwwston
    >classy fans

Pick one.

Hall Of Fame
    Tourette Syndrome

In 1982, Minnesota Twins rookie Jim Eisenreich stood in left field of Fenway Park trying to block out the taunts of the Red Sox faithful, “Shake, shake, shake,” they jeered from the stands. The taunts were eerily similar to the cruel words that Eisenreich had heard many times before -- from classmates, teachers and even coaches. But this time, it was different. This time, the taunts raining down on him from Fenway Park’s storied outfield were in full view of the public eye.By the third inning, Eisenreich was still shaking violently and began to have trouble breathing, a result of hyperventilation, causing him to remove himself from the game.

Let's be real: There are ******* fans for all 32 NFL teams and all teams in all sports on the college and professional ranks who will pull garbage like this. Simply put: the scum of the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Stay classy Pats Nation.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...t-dead-brother

Pats fans taunted Smith about dead brother
    I wrote about how Terrell Suggs' postgame rant on the Patriots was classless. Well, that is nothing compared to this latest inappropriate emotional outburst.

Smith
    A number of Patriots fans tweeted some disparaging remarks to Torrey Smith about his late brother following the AFC Championship Game, according to the Ravens wide receiver. Tevin Smith, Torrey's younger brother, was killed in a motorcycle accident in September.

"Played a lot of games since my brothers death and I never received as many rude tweets after a win than Sunday...yet NE fans cry about class," Smith tweeted Tuesday.

I understand how fans can take losses personally. But they can't make it personal. This is the perfect example of social media gone bad. I applaud Smith for handling it the right way because many athletes wouldn't.

The sad part is this isn't the first time Smith has had to deal with this. Shortly after Smith helped the Ravens beat the Patriots in September, only hours after his brother had died, someone taunted him on Twitter, saying, "Hey, Smith, how about you call your bro and tell him about your wi--- ohhhh. Wait. #TooSoon?"

I often wonder why athletes even go on social media during the season. San Francisco kicker David Akers closed his Twitter account after receiving death threats late last month.

And losing control after losses isn't a problem for just fans. The wife of Patriots wide receiver Wes Welker, Anna Burns Welker, used Facebook to take a few shots at Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis on Sunday night.

"Proud of my husband and the Pats. By the way, if anyone is bored, please go to Ray Lewis' Wikipedia page. 6 kids 4 wives. Acquitted for murder. Paid a family off. Yay. What a hall of fame player! A true role model!" Burns Welker said in a since-deleted post on her personal Facebook page. She later released a statement apologizing for her remarks.

If you would like to hear more from Smith, you don't have to go on Twitter or Facebook to do so. He went on "Mike & Mike" to talk about the support of his teammates and describes the way the team was able to knock off New England to advance to the Super Bowl.
    This all comes down to morality. If you want to stick to whats okay to taunt a player with, you should only use jabs referring to his play and ability. Leave the personal stuff aside. If you verbally taunt a player for something personal, its probably because you are either just not a good person and/or you have your own insecurities in life.