Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pats fans taunt Torrey Smith about dead brother

Hall Of Fame

Pats fans taunt Torrey Smith about dead brother

Stay classy Pats Nation.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...t-dead-brother

Pats fans taunted Smith about dead brother
    I wrote about how Terrell Suggs' postgame rant on the Patriots was classless. Well, that is nothing compared to this latest inappropriate emotional outburst.

Smith
    A number of Patriots fans tweeted some disparaging remarks to Torrey Smith about his late brother following the AFC Championship Game, according to the Ravens wide receiver. Tevin Smith, Torrey's younger brother, was killed in a motorcycle accident in September.

"Played a lot of games since my brothers death and I never received as many rude tweets after a win than Sunday...yet NE fans cry about class," Smith tweeted Tuesday.

I understand how fans can take losses personally. But they can't make it personal. This is the perfect example of social media gone bad. I applaud Smith for handling it the right way because many athletes wouldn't.

The sad part is this isn't the first time Smith has had to deal with this. Shortly after Smith helped the Ravens beat the Patriots in September, only hours after his brother had died, someone taunted him on Twitter, saying, "Hey, Smith, how about you call your bro and tell him about your wi--- ohhhh. Wait. #TooSoon?"

I often wonder why athletes even go on social media during the season. San Francisco kicker David Akers closed his Twitter account after receiving death threats late last month.

And losing control after losses isn't a problem for just fans. The wife of Patriots wide receiver Wes Welker, Anna Burns Welker, used Facebook to take a few shots at Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis on Sunday night.

"Proud of my husband and the Pats. By the way, if anyone is bored, please go to Ray Lewis' Wikipedia page. 6 kids 4 wives. Acquitted for murder. Paid a family off. Yay. What a hall of fame player! A true role model!" Burns Welker said in a since-deleted post on her personal Facebook page. She later released a statement apologizing for her remarks.

If you would like to hear more from Smith, you don't have to go on Twitter or Facebook to do so. He went on "Mike & Mike" to talk about the support of his teammates and describes the way the team was able to knock off New England to advance to the Super Bowl.

Yea, they did that after the Ravens beat them in the regular season, too. I think that was about a day after his brother died.

Same fanbase that taunted Joumanna Kidd for being the victim of domestic violence and cheered when Thurman Munson died.

F Boston.

Veteran
    boston fans are all losers.

Hall Of Fame
    Every fan base has lowlifes. The best athletes are the ones that are able to ignore it. By responding to them Smith gave them exactly what they wanted.

Jets Insider VIP
    We have lost our way as humanbeings, our simple humanity, and if we dont right ourseleves soon we will pay a terrible price!!!!

Just horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by heymangold View Post
    boston fans are all losers.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Every fan base has lowlifes. The best athletes are the ones that are able to ignore it. By responding to them Smith gave them exactly what they wanted.
    THIS.

Any fan of any team, Pats included, that would do this is a low life scumbag. Being a fanatic is no excuse for throwing away your humanity, yet we see it all the time. Over a game. It's entertainment for Christ sake. Sad.

All League
    There are a-holes disguised as sports fans in every city, NY and NJ included. This may come as a shocker but a few moronic Twitter posts don't accurately reflect the opinions or views of an entire group of people.

Please feel free to disregard this common sense observation if it conflicts with your personal agenda.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriotReign View Post
    There are a-holes disguised as sports fans in every city, NY and NJ included. This may come as a shocker but a few moronic Twitter posts don't accurately reflect the opinions or views of an entire group of people.

Please feel free to disregard this common sense observation if it conflicts with your personal agenda.
    Funny that ONLY Pats fans have taunted Smith about his brother this season.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    There is no excuse for anyone to taunt Smith about the tragic passing of his brother. That said, where does it say that Pats fans were the ONLY ones to have acted so despicably?

We have some pretty classless lowlife fans of the Jets, too. Every fan base has its morons.

Every fan base has its despicable low life types for sure. But the New England ones take the spotlight for being uncivil, classless and outright mean. What a horrible collection of misfits and misguided souls.

Which troll steps up first to respond? The bait sure smells good, doesn't it?

Great bulletin material for the 49ers to use in the superbowl to prepare for the Patr...ohhhhh wait. Too soon?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    There is no excuse for anyone to taunt Smith about the tragic passing of his brother. That said, where does it say that Pats fans were the ONLY ones to have acted so despicably?
    "Played a lot of games since my brothers death and I never received as many rude tweets after a win than Sunday...yet NE fans cry about class," Smith tweeted Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBallhawk View Post
    Great bulletin material for the 49ers to use in the superbowl to prepare for the Patr...ohhhhh wait. Too soon?
    That's gold, Jerry! Gold!

I read that to mean he received MORE such tweets from Pats fans than from others (but still received them from others). But bottom line is one such tweet is too many.

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    That's gold, Jerry! Gold!
    Sickening. Of course, if there was any justice in the world, all of these scumbags would experience the horrible pain of losing a close family member under tragic circumstances.

Then they'd understand what Smith went through.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    That said, where does it say that Pats fans were the ONLY ones to have acted so despicably?
    supra.

Pats fans and those in that region in and of itself are Neanderthals. Real scumbags. And it's the opposite you're always going to find some nice folk among them not the other way around. You should start the sentence that way.

*** Even Brady chooses NY and wears his little Yankee cap.